Supernatural Vs. Firefly! Sherlock Vs. Fringe! Round 2 of TV's Best Bad Boy Continues!

best tv bad boysA trio of sexy sci-fi guys and a crime solver who might as well be an alien take center stage as TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament hits Round 2, Day 3.

Yes, folks, we’ve got Dean Winchester of Supernatural fame facing Captain Malcolm ‘Mal’ Reynolds of Firefly, and Sherlock‘s titular sleuth battling Fringe‘s Peter Bishop.

Every day for the next several weeks, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 2 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (87)

• I love you Dean. But it’s the Captain. #BrowncoatForever

Comment by Thea – July 15, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean all the way. He’s perfection.

Comment by Lila – July 15, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean vs. THE Captain?!? That’s just mean. I love Dean and “Supernatural”, but sorry… Oh Captain, my captain. :)

Comment by Megan B. – July 15, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean vs. Mal…NOT FAIR!!! How in the world am I supposed to choose!!

Comment by Amy – July 15, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And looking ahead we have Neal vs. Harvey!! Man, this “fun” tournament is gonna get tough :)

Comment by Amy – July 15, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s not fair. Captain Tightpants versus Dean Winchester would be an impossible final showdown, but to be forced to send one of these men home in only the second round is criminal. I’ve got to vote for Mal, but it hurts. Maybe Dean needs a hug…

Comment by Kate M. – July 15, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no problem-I’ll give him a HUGE hug and vote for him too!

Comment by Kokopelli – July 16, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal and Sherlock. Easy-peasy round for me!

Comment by Ashley – July 15, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same!

Comment by Summer – July 15, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s easy now, but what about when we have to choose between them?

Comment by Brittany – July 16, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is a horrible choice to have to make! Arg!

Comment by Amber – July 15, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sherlock, but I wish John had been included; I think he’s more of a “bad boy.”

Comment by This – July 15, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This category is evil. Can both Dean Winchester and Captain Tightpants win?

Comment by Rachel Elisabeth Little – July 15, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo! Both Dean & Sherlock are losing D:

Comment by Elmeco – July 15, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on people! Dean went to hell and back and was just sent to purgatory and we know he will be back. Dean FTW

Comment by tvaddict – July 15, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, you could argue that Mal went to cancellation-Hell and back to the big screen…

Man, tough calls all around.

Comment by J – July 15, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEAN WINCHESTER OBVIOUSLY!!!! Come on baby, beat this dude!

Comment by Nic J A Winchester – July 15, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you can make that call so easily, I’m betting you’ve never even seen Firefly. While I love Dean and all of his exploits, my loyalty rests with my gorram crew. Good luck Cap’n.

Comment by TheHeroOfCanton – July 17, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEAN WINCHESTER!

Comment by Allie – July 15, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow tough round! loyalty has to go to the captain but it is a tough call. and as much as it pains me to vita against Joshua Jackson Sherlock is the badder boy.

Comment by murley – July 15, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow tough round! loyalty has to go to the captain but it is a tough call. and as much as it pains me to vote against Joshua Jackson Sherlock is the badder boy.

Comment by murley – July 15, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is quite possibly the most unfair tournament you have ever come up with. How in the world are we supposed to vote???

Comment by AT – July 15, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You think this one is bad, wait until you have Angel v Spike and Sylar v Rumplestiltskin. While Spike wins the battle of Buffy for me, Sylar v Rumple is already causing me grief and it isn’t here yet. BTW Mal and Sherlock for the WIN!!!

Comment by Kvivik – July 15, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sherlock vs. Peter Bishop??? NOOOOO!!! I’m a total Fringie and I love Josh Jackson, but Benedict Cumberbatch makes Sherlock such a fascinating character…arg… I’ll go with Sherlock. With reservations.

Comment by Sal – July 15, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean vs Mal?!! That is just cruel….

Comment by Ali – July 15, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PETER BISHOP NEEDS TO WIN!!!!

Comment by Andie – July 15, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love yah Captain Hammer but Dean all the way all day every day.

Comment by Arielle Lamaute – July 15, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meanest. Bracket. Ever.

I love all four too much to pick!

Comment by Irish – July 15, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal is beating Dean? This place sure is different from eonline, where the contest would come down to Damon Salvatore vs Dean Winchester.

Comment by Temis – July 15, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had pegged the final round for either Spike or Damon v. Dean. Shows what I know.

Comment by km – July 15, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fortunately, people here seem to know more than just the current shows. ;)

(Personally, I don’t think Damon holds a candle to a bunch of characters in this bracket, including Spike, Mal, Logan Echools, Angel, Rumpelstilskin, Gaius Baltar [who's already gone!], Tony Soprano and quite a few others I’m too lazy to list.)

Comment by Ivana – July 16, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god! Why are u ppl voting against dean?????????? Seriously has saved the world several times takes on angels demons leviathens purely with a commical give them hell attidude!! Also who is mel???? Also even if I knew nobody can beat dean winchester ever! He even made god say sorry to him! ;)

Comment by Teri robertson – July 15, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you saw Firefly, you would vote for Mal, or at the very least have trouble making a decision. No, you would. Read the other comments.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 15, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean Forever. No brainer for me. I don’t even watch Firefly, though I like Nathan. I’m still a Dean-Girl. Always. <3

Comment by Crystal Stevenson – July 15, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IVE watched it and there is still no contest-DEAN

Comment by Kokopelli – July 16, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate you. I hate you so much for making me choose between Dean and Mal.

Comment by Betsy – July 15, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously Sherlock and Dean, without a second thought!

Comment by Rachel – July 15, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as it pained me, I had to vote for Dean. He had the crappiest childhood ever (absent father figure, no stable home, had to raise his little brother, etc) and he’s not a true leader of anyone, whereas Capt. Mal is a natural leader. Man I wish both could win, though.

Comment by Robyn – July 15, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Dean although I don’t consider him a bad boy. He’s a hero. There’s nothing bad about him, in any sense of the phrase, IMO.

Comment by Cristina Giammarco (@photoshopgrl) – July 15, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter vs Sherlock? NOOOO

Comment by Gilda – July 15, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dean -dean and more dean

Comment by pook – July 15, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Browncoats Forever! Captain Mal for the win!

Comment by magali – July 15, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Got to support my Canadian Boys!!! Not to mention I love both of them… Go Nathan and Joshua!!!

Comment by Sonia – July 15, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal & Sherlock. Love Peter Bishop, but I can’t really vote for him over Sherlock in a ‘bad boy’ contest. Josh will just have to survive in his other incarnation.

Comment by ben – July 15, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mal as much as the next girl, but Dean Winchester spent the equivalent of thirty years as a torturer in hell. There’s no comparison. You don’t get badder than Dean while miraculously still being a hero.

Comment by km – July 15, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Dean and Peter but SERIOUSLY there needs to be a Wildcard round for those battle that end closely.

Comment by Ally – July 15, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean is the obvious choice! Come on ladies! :)

Comment by Jade – July 15, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about if they post a photo of chubby (portly) OLD Nate Fillion as he looks now ??? Instead of how he looked 10 years ago???!!!! Yech! Nooooooo way could he beat gorgeous Dean….

All the Mal fans are living in the past…….

Comment by Jude – July 16, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW is Jensen not OWNING this? I love Nathan but come on!

Comment by Ella – July 15, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean Winchester: There’s Mal Girls and Dean Girls and- What’s a slash fan?
    Mal Reynolds: As in Mal-slash-Dean. Together.
    Dean Winchester: Like “together” together?
    Mal Reynolds: Yeah.
    Dean Winchester: [Horrified] They do know we’re competing in a bracket tournament, right?
    Mal Reynolds: Doesn’t seem to matter.
    Dean Winchester: Oh, come on, that… that’s just sick.

Teehee I vote for both at the same time.

Comment by Stephanie – July 15, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh…painful choice but had to go with Captain Mal!! Captain Tightpants FTW!!

Comment by Krithika – July 16, 2012 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With the way Fillion’s weight has increased over the past few years those tight pants would split in two……………heheheh

Comment by Jude – July 16, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter has to win

Comment by L c – July 16, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I love Dean, I’m a Browncoat till death! Captain Tightpants for the win!!

Comment by Rain – July 16, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just acknowledge the fact that it’s been 10 years since it was cancelled, and Firefly is still winning this poll. We love our Captain <3

Comment by Kate – July 16, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Dean, But we’re still flying <3

Comment by Cassidy – July 16, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, no. I am a diehard Fringe fan, but Cumberbatch’s Holmes is so amazing, I think I have to sit this one out. But Dean vs. Mal Reynolds is a no brainer. I sat through Supernatural between Fringe and Doctor Who at Comic Con and they did a fantastic job of making me never want to watch the show, ever. O Captain! My Captain!

Comment by Emily – July 16, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The annoying thing about the end result of the Dean vs. Mal poll, is that there is no way it’s going to be an accurate reflection of the fan base or the characters. It’s going to end up being SPN fans reloading the webpage 900 times a day until it closes so that their precious show wins.

That makes me so sad. Mal & Firefly SO deserve this!

Comment by Rebecca – July 16, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can only vote once per IP address. If you try and vote twice it tells you “Thanks we already counted your vote”. So multiple votes are not allowed. That said, this was Sophies Choice for me, soooo hard, but in the end I voted for the Captain. I agree that he deserves it!!!

Comment by Amy – July 16, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Dean, but gotta go with Captain Tightpants!

Comment by MoxieSue – July 16, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon Mal, leave this guy in your dust. You can do it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 16, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean Winchester!

Comment by perfume2010 – July 16, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well this is easy for me since i am not watching firefly or sherlock

Comment by Cristina Dinca – July 16, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your incredibly huge loss.

Comment by Emily – July 16, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post