True Blood Recap: Holy Hell They Killed [Spoiler]!

True Blood EricSomebody we didn’t think was gonna live, lived. Somebody we didn’t think was gonna die, died. And those were just a couple of the surprises that last night’s True Blood served up. Here’s how it all went down:

VIDEO | True Blood Boss Reveals Final Scene of Season 5!

FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE | Seconds after being apprehended by Bill and Eric, Russell was taken into custody by the Authority, who massacred all of the witnesses to his capture with the exception of Sookie and Alcide (in other words, everyone but the series regulars). Back at Authority HQ, Bill and Eric were freed from their iStakes and offered glasses of whatever celebratory blood Barb from Cougar Town hadn’t already swilled. But Russell’s execution took a turn for the (seriously, really, very, like whoa!) unexpected when Roman pushed the “splatter” button on the dethroned king’s iStake, and it didn’t work. In fact, it so didn’t work that Russell was able to get the jump on his would-be assassin and stake Roman!

LEADER OF THE PACK | Livid upon realizing that Marcus’ replacement, J.D., was both doing V and playing Russell’s lapdog, Alcide stepped up and, ignoring the (literal) growling with which his announcement was greeted, took over the packmaster post. Meanwhile, wolf pup Emma made her way safely to grandma Martha’s doorstep, Sam lived, and – really thought she was a goner, but – Luna pulled through, too. As soon as he recovered – like, a scene later – Sam teamed up with Andy to investigate all the supernatural hate crimes and saved the sheriff’s life during an ammo-store shoot-out. Elsewhere, the Obama-masked murderers killed a fanger who was making a midnight snack of (an eager) Emo Hoyt, who capped off his terrible night – Jessica rebuffed him yet again! – by being kidnapped by the nutjobs.

VIDEO | Joe Manganiello Breaks Down Alcide and Sookie’s Infamous ‘Sex Scene’

JASON STACKHOUSE, VAMPIRE HUNTER | Following a dream in which he promised his father that he’d find his killer, Jason finally filled in Sookie on the fact that their folks were offed by a blood-sucker. Later, at the netherworld Studio 54, impish Claude – kind of a sexy, fairy Alan Cumming – revealed that the vampire in question had been drawn to the Stackhouses by – wouldn’t ya know it! – Sookie’s irresistibly magical blood.

THIS AND ALSO THAT | When not busy running from Lost’s smoke monster, Terry made a pit stop in Bon Temps just long enough to tell Arlene, “Hi, honey, I’m cursed,” and leave her and the kids behind to keep them from being turned into crispy fries. And that message that Lafayette’s mother had for him – you know, the one from Jesus’ severed head? It was that Jesus (or at least the neck down?) was with his evil grandfather, Don Bartolo.

So, your thoughts? Were you surprised that Roman was killed off? Or maybe the better question would be, how surprised were you? Sound off below!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Susan Firth says:

Is Roman really dead?

• Suz says:

Saw this coming on last ep via HBOGo, Denis O in an ‘extra’ had an Uthority pin on his lapel.

Roman was all speech after speech. Cannot lead without getting hands dirty in the field!

2. Mike says:

Roman, we hardly knew ye.

3. Mike says:

So early in the season killed…Russell won’t last too longer.

4. Alicia says:

Totally shocked!!! Since they went all out to get Meloni, for sure I thought he’d last a lot longer!!!

5. Scott says:

IMDB says Chris Meloni is on the show for 11 episodes.

• Jill says:

I’m not saying that Meloni isn’t in all 10 episodes, but IMDB will place someone in an episode if their name is in the credits, even if they weren’t in that particular episode…so who knows what’ll happen

• Michael says:

Roman did not go SPLAT like other staked vampires. There might be something going on here that will enable him to survive. Who knows. The TB people have done stranger things.

• icywinter2 says:

I doubt that, they don’t always show a corpse of someone that’s dead. Look what they did in the soparanos, we never saw Adrianna dead. But we knew that she was. Roman is dead, HBO behind the scenes on this episode confirmed that he is.

• Roman didn’t burst because he had something put in the weapon that would keep Russell from splattering all over the place. He said he didn’t want to get dirty before he went golfing.

• Cindy says:

I agree! He didn’t explode like a normal vampire being staked. Maybe Russell missed his heart and they will battle it out ’til the end of the season! That would be so cool!!!

6. Isabelle says:

I dont know, Roman didnt go goo so I’m holding off until next week. We dont know anything about this vamp and what he’s into, by some crazy reason he was kinda boiling instead of dying. I loved this episode alot, perfect way to end my birthday. I finally got a long awaited Eric and Alcide scene where they spoke face to face and not some comment in passing or over the over. AS and JM with all that lovely height had me swooning.
    I could care less about the Hoyt thing, Terry’s storyline is moving along and I did have that tolerable tonight. If True Blood focused on the vampires more it’d be simply perfect. I cant wait for more truths to be revealed next week. Salome is as dirty as they come, she never silvered Russell or did the istake, I cant wait for more of this stuff.

7. Dark Defender says:

Well.. Roman didn’t explode like a vamp should during a staking… So I am not sure he is truly dead.. (blood of Lilith saved him?).. Nora is WAY too obvious.. My money is still on Salome.

p.s. so glad Sookie unglamoured Alcide.. They need another shot at gettin naked together.

• Dark Defender says:

Also, sexiest scene tonight.. Eric healing Alicide’s cheek while glamouring him. Pure hotness.

• Eric Vamplover says:

EW! VAMPIN’ NO”
      To ME, it will make Sookie look like “Fairy Slut.” -Sorry I had to say that. But She was already with Bill & Eric!.

And funny how The Tara & Jessica fight wasn’t MENTIONED!
      So, here is what happened.: They Fight outside/Out of The Bathroom into the Club. They Stop, and then Tara says; “This is MY House!”

And then PAM stops them. And drags Tara by The Hair (While Tara is Hissing) and takes Her into another Room and Tells Tara; “You Work Here… This Is Not Your House, It’s Mine.”
      -Or something like that.

As for “Roman” That Name is weird for that Guy. (Why not Roy?)
      But it looks like He was Shifting or something. -Looked like His Face was going into a swirl.
      I WAS Expecting, (What had happened to Hoyt’s Vamp.) SPLOOSH WITH BLOOD. But nope.
      I was shocked that it ended like that.

I CANNOT WAIT 6 MORE DAYS! I want to know what happens to The (All and Maybe “Powerful”?) Roman.

And in The earlier Episodes, WHAT WAS WITH THE “Vampire Authority” Kid? Someone said that Vampires are not to change Kids!! So WHO WAS THAT Kid?? Why was He Turned??.

• suz says:

In the books (if same character/name, I don’t remember), he was a Russian prince whose entire family was hunted and killed during the revolution, and he was a hemophiliac so he regularly received vamp blood and that’s how he was turned.

• Waitingsux says:

@suz- you’re thinking of Alexei (Romanov) Eric’s vampire brother and Ocellas progeny. He was around 13 when he was turned.

There was another child vampire that was introduced in All Together Dead, but I’ve forgotten his name.

• Ivan Lind says:

i don’t think it’s salome cause she cried when roman died so i think she truly loved roman so it cant be her i dont think

• suz says:

I’m starting to think the tech girl has more power than we know.

• I never thought of that Tech girl…And suppose Lilith is to arrive this season.. Maybe it is the tech girl who is Lil? But I dont think Lilith will stand a chance against Russel..he’ll kill Lilith off in no time once he knows she is alive.

• Mike Furlo says:

Willing to bet that it was Lilith that freed Russell from the concrete grave. If Lilith is the mother of all vampires, then she should be able to sense where any vampire is at any given time.Perhaps she has just been resurrected herself, I recall one of the humans saying that she wouldn’t forget her face or something according to that line. So perhaps Lilith is the mystery vamp who freed him, since she would know where he is at any given time. Maybe she can control him and/or expect him to be grateful for the rescue and being he is the most powerful vampire around, at least according to Eric, she is recruiting him for her own ends. I guess we will have to wait and see…..

Now, when does Dracula show up??? (And I have not read the books, besides my wife told me they are way off course with the books compared to the show)

• Lindsey says:

That was my thought! We are being made to think Salome is the traitor, but I bet it’s really the tech girl…(Molly?) Love Tina Majorino from Veronica Mars and she’s no stranger to playing tech girls who know more than they’re letting on!! ;)

• Russ says:

Roman sorta looked at Molly (tech girl) when the iStake didn’t work and she looked surprised. Its totally Salome she is so obviously evil.

• icywinter2 says:

HBO confirmed that he is, check episode commentary. They comfirm that he is dead.

• Matt L says:

Didn’t Roman ask for a particular stake for Russell because “he didnt want to get dirty”? I initially thought it was a stake that turned them to stone or something…anyone else with me?

• Rachel. says:

My money, as of last night, is on the girl with the iStakes (whose name I cannot remember). Why else would the iStake not have worked when Roman tried to discharge it??

8. Rrrrrr says:

Yeah, it’s confirmed on HBO GO that Roman does. Alan Ball explains that he wanted to hire someone famouse for the role so that when they kill him early, the audience will be shocked.

9. Jen says:

Oh please tell me that roman is gone! Why don’t they kill
    Off that slutty Salome a few thousand times over

10. rakem says:

I wouldnt say they got him clean..he was like…melting….11 episodes his contract says!”

11. S says:

I was shocked with Roman being killed off because I thought I read he was a series regular this season? so I expected to see him the whole season so even if he was killed it wouldn’t be until the end. I don’t mind thought because even though I’m a CM fan I wasn’t feeling him a lot on TB to be honest. I mean as the eps went on I was liking Roman more but overall he just didn’t fit well which is odd cause he was awesome on OZ. I’m glad Russell is still alive though so YAY long live the king! well hopefully whenever Russell is taken out Eric will get to do it.

12. Julie says:

I’m a die hard true blood fan, this season has been crazy, until last Sundays episode when it looked like Luna and Alcide were gone. And it had a dark side too it as well, but they made up for tonight like they always do! Bravo

13. TJ says:

Very glad to see he’s dead. I think the season’s heading into a relatively strong final few episodes. It’s not the best that it’s been, but it’s still better than most anything else I can find to watch. And with Roman gone, there will be twenty minutes more actual substance to the episodes instead of pointless speeches that the audience really didn’t care about.

14. NYCer4Life says:

I am seriously pissed that Roman was killed off. I was looking forward to more Meloni v. O’Hare scenes. Whatever. Time to bust out the “Oz” DVD’s.

15. WhyohWhy says:

I thought Eric was hilarious tonight. Glamoring Alcide to not touch Sookie, saying he was protective towards a human once, and just ever so deadpan with the Authority. Plus, I got lots of shirtless Alcide and some more Mac (she’ll always be Mac to me). Happy camper here.

16. Yes finally True Blood is back on track,tonight episode was really good.

17. Martin says:

I heard CM was to appear in 10 episodes, so 5 down… whether it was just to throw us off the scent i don’t know. I do remember the likes of Lizzy Caplan in Season 1 listed as series regular for 4 episodes and then, BAM, Rene killed her.

And here was me hoping for more CM shirtless scenes, we only got one, i think, out of five episodes.

18. A says:

great episode tonight. love Denis O’Hare. I wish they would just focus more on sookie and the vampire drama and less on terry and all this shifter stuff. sookie, bill and eric barely get much screen time as they used to and please more Tara and Pam goodness. :)

19. S says:

^ The shifter story has just began and you’re already hating on it? this is the most Sam has been on all season long so far and I was happy to see him. Sam is as important as Sookie and her men. I do agree on the Terry one though cause even though I like him I feel his story has taken up a lot of time and story from others.

20. Tahoe Mike says:

Bwahahaha! He called them Kardashian worshipers!

21. AJ says:

Am I the only one that found Terry’s speech to Arlene about a “smoke monster” really funny given who she is married to IRL? lol.

22. Polly says:

best episode of this season imho.

23. Pat Graney says:

So will Chris Meloni had back to Law & Order SVU, I wonder?

24. I thought Russel was dead! I really thought they were going to stake him and be done with him.. Their is a mole in the mist..and it smells like Salmone. Why would Salmone want Russel alive? Russel is bat sh*t crazy. Also i wonder about Roman..why didnt he turn into a pile of blood? Instead he just turned into a zombie like vamp when Russel staked him…fishy… Also I thought Roman was tougher then Russel..How was it Russel took him so easy..and why did no Vamps come into help Roman..they all just stood around?

25. Eric says:

Christopher Meloni better not be done after 4 episodes!!! Really???!!! If so, I will seriously consider giving up on True Blood!!!

26. Laurel says:

I love Christopher Meloni BUT Roman was seriously boring me to tears.
    I was really getting tired of his speechifying.
    He either had to die or get out of the authority and mix it up a little.

27. Tee says:

I didn’t pay attention to how many eps the actor was signed on for, but the ending wasn’t a surprise at all. I was actually hoping there was some twist that actually would make it surprising, but no, pretty much played out in the direction it was blatantly headed. A little disappointing, but all in all, still a decent episode.

28. Michael says:

I didn’t think that the killing of the h ostages and NOT Sookie/Alice was merely for the sake of them being series regulars. The hostages saw the woman which makes me think that the Spartacus guy is in cahoots with whoever is defying the counsel. Sookie and Alcide didn’t see the woman and therefore didn’t have to die.

29. Shaun says:

I don’t understand how a vamp was attracted to just Sookie?Wasn’t one of her parents a half fae?And they have to be fairly close to get a scent of them(Which somehow Jessica missed?)

30. Jon says:

Thank goodness they got rid of Roman (if he is indeed dead). That entire storyline was a real bore. I would literally snooze when anything having to do with the Authority would come on screen. Let’s hope things really get moving now for the last half of the season.

31. Ben says:

It would be quite a twist if Rosalyn (Barb from Cougar Town) is the female Authority member who released Russell and not Salomé, who seems to be the obvious culprit.

32. Jade says:

I was surprised to see Roman supposedly killed, but I’m not upset. I love Christopher Meloni as much as the next person, but the Authority storyline is a big snoozefest. All he did was walk around the table and lecture, booor-ing.

33. Irina says:

An Alan Ball epiode… meh.

34. PenelopeC says:

Well, Eric realized what was up, and arrived right in time, so he may have intervened. But, I think Roman’s death is imminent. Roman’s woman is the one supporting Russell and she’s the one who freed him. She’s (or the Tina Majorino character) caused the device to kill Russell to fail.

35. aim says:

Errrrr, will someone stake Tara already! And make Mac (veronica mars chick) a series regular and sookies new best friend!
    Also, that fairy nightclub its more like Moulin Rouge gone wrong!

36. Anyone else not a fan of the Salome character/actress? hope she is killed before the end of this season or sooner. i was beginning to warm to Roman in the last episode so its a shock he was killed off considering he was a big name casting. The episode needed more of Pam and Lafayette instead of terry and hoyt. I dont mind Tara she is a much interesting character now that Pam is her maker. Pleased Alcide has made himself a contender for wolf pack master – he and Rikki make an extremely sexy couple if she becomes his number2.

Sooooo f*ckin pleased Luna lives a little while longer. she was one of my fave new characters from last season and was gobsmacked at her supposed death in the ep5 shooting. Cant wait for her to kick some ass once she recuperates, looking forward to that. Sookie and the parent killing story well im not sure who the fave is but i am thinking from what ive seen its not Russell. i personally think he would have ordered her parents to be brought to his home in Mississippi where he lived or had remembered who sookie was when he first encountered her in season 3?. just a hunch, but i’m thinking this person could be the guy who was sat in Eric’s chair (in that S5-TrueBlood Comic-Con trailer) and told Pam that Eric Northman is history before attacking her.

finally i was hoping hoyt died and then the vamp & supe killers show up. TUT!

37. Stefan Tankov says:

This whole season is kind of boring, I mean I was expecting the best season since it was centered on the authority, the mysterious, scary and interesting authority, no the boring speech giving and praying to their mother authority. I feel like True blood is going down, but I might be wrong. It was the same case with Dexter. Season 4 rocked, season 5 was a snoozefest and everyone thought it would go down, but season 6 turned out to be the best one.

38. Stefan Tankov says:

The parents killing storyline, if they do it like in the books it will be pretty great.
    SPOILER!
    The killers of Sookie’s and Jason’s parents are the faries. In the books Sookie has 1/8 farie blood, and her father is 1/4 farie. Well the faries are trying to kill everyone that has part-farie blood, something like in the season 4 premiere.

39. Christine says:

Ironically, I think this season’s most interesting story is Terry’s “curse”. I don’t know, the idea of a vengeful smoke spirit seems very intriguing to me.
    I never really hate characters so much that I want them gone, but I am really fed up with Eric’s crazy “sister”, Nora. Can someone please chop her head off and be done with her?

40. Dray says:

Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly miffed that Sookie still thinks her hands are still clean, with her greater than thou countenance and condescending look on her slapped arse of a face?