True Blood Recap: Holy Hell They Killed [Spoiler]!

Get More: Recaps

True Blood EricSomebody we didn’t think was gonna live, lived. Somebody we didn’t think was gonna die, died. And those were just a couple of the surprises that last night’s True Blood served up. Here’s how it all went down:

VIDEO | True Blood Boss Reveals Final Scene of Season 5!

FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE | Seconds after being apprehended by Bill and Eric, Russell was taken into custody by the Authority, who massacred all of the witnesses to his capture with the exception of Sookie and Alcide (in other words, everyone but the series regulars). Back at Authority HQ, Bill and Eric were freed from their iStakes and offered glasses of whatever celebratory blood Barb from Cougar Town hadn’t already swilled. But Russell’s execution took a turn for the (seriously, really, very, like whoa!) unexpected when Roman pushed the “splatter” button on the dethroned king’s iStake, and it didn’t work. In fact, it so didn’t work that Russell was able to get the jump on his would-be assassin and stake Roman!

LEADER OF THE PACK | Livid upon realizing that Marcus’ replacement, J.D., was both doing V and playing Russell’s lapdog, Alcide stepped up and, ignoring the (literal) growling with which his announcement was greeted, took over the packmaster post. Meanwhile, wolf pup Emma made her way safely to grandma Martha’s doorstep, Sam lived, and – really thought she was a goner, but – Luna pulled through, too. As soon as he recovered – like, a scene later – Sam teamed up with Andy to investigate all the supernatural hate crimes and saved the sheriff’s life during an ammo-store shoot-out. Elsewhere, the Obama-masked murderers killed a fanger who was making a midnight snack of (an eager) Emo Hoyt, who capped off his terrible night – Jessica rebuffed him yet again! – by being kidnapped by the nutjobs.

VIDEO | Joe Manganiello Breaks Down Alcide and Sookie’s Infamous ‘Sex Scene’

JASON STACKHOUSE, VAMPIRE HUNTER | Following a dream in which he promised his father that he’d find his killer, Jason finally filled in Sookie on the fact that their folks were offed by a blood-sucker. Later, at the netherworld Studio 54, impish Claude – kind of a sexy, fairy Alan Cumming – revealed that the vampire in question had been drawn to the Stackhouses by – wouldn’t ya know it! – Sookie’s irresistibly magical blood.

THIS AND ALSO THAT | When not busy running from Lost’s smoke monster, Terry made a pit stop in Bon Temps just long enough to tell Arlene, “Hi, honey, I’m cursed,” and leave her and the kids behind to keep them from being turned into crispy fries. And that message that Lafayette’s mother had for him – you know, the one from Jesus’ severed head? It was that Jesus (or at least the neck down?) was with his evil grandfather, Don Bartolo.

So, your thoughts? Were you surprised that Roman was killed off? Or maybe the better question would be, how surprised were you? Sound off below!

Tags: ,

Comments (71)

• Is Roman really dead?

Comment by Susan Firth – July 15, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Saw this coming on last ep via HBOGo, Denis O in an ‘extra’ had an Uthority pin on his lapel.

Roman was all speech after speech. Cannot lead without getting hands dirty in the field!

Comment by Suz – July 15, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roman, we hardly knew ye.

Comment by Mike – July 15, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So early in the season killed…Russell won’t last too longer.

Comment by Mike – July 15, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally shocked!!! Since they went all out to get Meloni, for sure I thought he’d last a lot longer!!!

Comment by Alicia – July 15, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Flashback time for him?

Comment by Suz – July 15, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMDB says Chris Meloni is on the show for 11 episodes.

Comment by Scott – July 15, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not saying that Meloni isn’t in all 10 episodes, but IMDB will place someone in an episode if their name is in the credits, even if they weren’t in that particular episode…so who knows what’ll happen

Comment by Jill – July 15, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Roman did not go SPLAT like other staked vampires. There might be something going on here that will enable him to survive. Who knows. The TB people have done stranger things.

Comment by Michael – July 16, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt that, they don’t always show a corpse of someone that’s dead. Look what they did in the soparanos, we never saw Adrianna dead. But we knew that she was. Roman is dead, HBO behind the scenes on this episode confirmed that he is.

Comment by icywinter2 – July 16, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Roman didn’t burst because he had something put in the weapon that would keep Russell from splattering all over the place. He said he didn’t want to get dirty before he went golfing.

Comment by Martin Haro (@moviemartin) – July 16, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree! He didn’t explode like a normal vampire being staked. Maybe Russell missed his heart and they will battle it out ’til the end of the season! That would be so cool!!!

Comment by Cindy – July 16, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont know, Roman didnt go goo so I’m holding off until next week. We dont know anything about this vamp and what he’s into, by some crazy reason he was kinda boiling instead of dying. I loved this episode alot, perfect way to end my birthday. I finally got a long awaited Eric and Alcide scene where they spoke face to face and not some comment in passing or over the over. AS and JM with all that lovely height had me swooning.
    I could care less about the Hoyt thing, Terry’s storyline is moving along and I did have that tolerable tonight. If True Blood focused on the vampires more it’d be simply perfect. I cant wait for more truths to be revealed next week. Salome is as dirty as they come, she never silvered Russell or did the istake, I cant wait for more of this stuff.

Comment by Isabelle – July 15, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well.. Roman didn’t explode like a vamp should during a staking… So I am not sure he is truly dead.. (blood of Lilith saved him?).. Nora is WAY too obvious.. My money is still on Salome.

p.s. so glad Sookie unglamoured Alcide.. They need another shot at gettin naked together.

Comment by Dark Defender – July 15, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, sexiest scene tonight.. Eric healing Alicide’s cheek while glamouring him. Pure hotness.

Comment by Dark Defender – July 15, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • God yes. *plop*

Comment by Renee – July 15, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • plop?? did you just poop?

Comment by MariaPompeo – July 15, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you watch this scene closely at the very end, you’ll see Alexander Skarsgard lose it and start laughing! His back is to the camera, but watch the right side of his face! LOL!

Comment by Lori – July 16, 2012 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aye. Men.

Holy Hell.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – July 19, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EW! VAMPIN’ NO”
      To ME, it will make Sookie look like “Fairy Slut.” -Sorry I had to say that. But She was already with Bill & Eric!.

And funny how The Tara & Jessica fight wasn’t MENTIONED!
      So, here is what happened.: They Fight outside/Out of The Bathroom into the Club. They Stop, and then Tara says; “This is MY House!”

And then PAM stops them. And drags Tara by The Hair (While Tara is Hissing) and takes Her into another Room and Tells Tara; “You Work Here… This Is Not Your House, It’s Mine.”
      -Or something like that.

As for “Roman” That Name is weird for that Guy. (Why not Roy?)
      But it looks like He was Shifting or something. -Looked like His Face was going into a swirl.
      I WAS Expecting, (What had happened to Hoyt’s Vamp.) SPLOOSH WITH BLOOD. But nope.
      I was shocked that it ended like that.

I CANNOT WAIT 6 MORE DAYS! I want to know what happens to The (All and Maybe “Powerful”?) Roman.

And in The earlier Episodes, WHAT WAS WITH THE “Vampire Authority” Kid? Someone said that Vampires are not to change Kids!! So WHO WAS THAT Kid?? Why was He Turned??.

Comment by Eric Vamplover – July 15, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the books (if same character/name, I don’t remember), he was a Russian prince whose entire family was hunted and killed during the revolution, and he was a hemophiliac so he regularly received vamp blood and that’s how he was turned.

Comment by suz – July 16, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @suz- you’re thinking of Alexei (Romanov) Eric’s vampire brother and Ocellas progeny. He was around 13 when he was turned.

There was another child vampire that was introduced in All Together Dead, but I’ve forgotten his name.

Comment by Waitingsux – July 16, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i don’t think it’s salome cause she cried when roman died so i think she truly loved roman so it cant be her i dont think

Comment by Ivan Lind – July 15, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m starting to think the tech girl has more power than we know.

Comment by suz – July 16, 2012 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I never thought of that Tech girl…And suppose Lilith is to arrive this season.. Maybe it is the tech girl who is Lil? But I dont think Lilith will stand a chance against Russel..he’ll kill Lilith off in no time once he knows she is alive.

Comment by Sergey Atononovich – July 16, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Willing to bet that it was Lilith that freed Russell from the concrete grave. If Lilith is the mother of all vampires, then she should be able to sense where any vampire is at any given time.Perhaps she has just been resurrected herself, I recall one of the humans saying that she wouldn’t forget her face or something according to that line. So perhaps Lilith is the mystery vamp who freed him, since she would know where he is at any given time. Maybe she can control him and/or expect him to be grateful for the rescue and being he is the most powerful vampire around, at least according to Eric, she is recruiting him for her own ends. I guess we will have to wait and see…..

Now, when does Dracula show up??? (And I have not read the books, besides my wife told me they are way off course with the books compared to the show)

Comment by Mike Furlo – July 16, 2012 10:24 AM PDT
        • That was my thought! We are being made to think Salome is the traitor, but I bet it’s really the tech girl…(Molly?) Love Tina Majorino from Veronica Mars and she’s no stranger to playing tech girls who know more than they’re letting on!! ;)

Comment by Lindsey – July 16, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Roman sorta looked at Molly (tech girl) when the iStake didn’t work and she looked surprised. Its totally Salome she is so obviously evil.

Comment by Russ – July 16, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HBO confirmed that he is, check episode commentary. They comfirm that he is dead.

Comment by icywinter2 – July 16, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t Roman ask for a particular stake for Russell because “he didnt want to get dirty”? I initially thought it was a stake that turned them to stone or something…anyone else with me?

Comment by Matt L – July 16, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My money, as of last night, is on the girl with the iStakes (whose name I cannot remember). Why else would the iStake not have worked when Roman tried to discharge it??

Comment by Rachel. – July 16, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, it’s confirmed on HBO GO that Roman does. Alan Ball explains that he wanted to hire someone famouse for the role so that when they kill him early, the audience will be shocked.

Comment by Rrrrrr – July 15, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is he copying the GoT playbook?

Comment by Gee – July 16, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please tell me that roman is gone! Why don’t they kill
    Off that slutty Salome a few thousand times over

Comment by Jen – July 15, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldnt say they got him clean..he was like…melting….11 episodes his contract says!”

Comment by rakem – July 15, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully he’s not dead yet, otherwise I’ll stop watching.

Comment by yippity – July 16, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t know what his contract said or didn’t saw. But the episode commentary on HBO states that he is dead.

Comment by icywinter2 – July 16, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was shocked with Roman being killed off because I thought I read he was a series regular this season? so I expected to see him the whole season so even if he was killed it wouldn’t be until the end. I don’t mind thought because even though I’m a CM fan I wasn’t feeling him a lot on TB to be honest. I mean as the eps went on I was liking Roman more but overall he just didn’t fit well which is odd cause he was awesome on OZ. I’m glad Russell is still alive though so YAY long live the king! well hopefully whenever Russell is taken out Eric will get to do it.

Comment by S – July 15, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a die hard true blood fan, this season has been crazy, until last Sundays episode when it looked like Luna and Alcide were gone. And it had a dark side too it as well, but they made up for tonight like they always do! Bravo

Comment by Julie – July 15, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very glad to see he’s dead. I think the season’s heading into a relatively strong final few episodes. It’s not the best that it’s been, but it’s still better than most anything else I can find to watch. And with Roman gone, there will be twenty minutes more actual substance to the episodes instead of pointless speeches that the audience really didn’t care about.

Comment by TJ – July 15, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am seriously pissed that Roman was killed off. I was looking forward to more Meloni v. O’Hare scenes. Whatever. Time to bust out the “Oz” DVD’s.

Comment by NYCer4Life – July 15, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Eric was hilarious tonight. Glamoring Alcide to not touch Sookie, saying he was protective towards a human once, and just ever so deadpan with the Authority. Plus, I got lots of shirtless Alcide and some more Mac (she’ll always be Mac to me). Happy camper here.

Comment by WhyohWhy – July 15, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So glad you said that…she’ll always be Mac to me too…loving her on TB =)

Comment by faye – July 16, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes finally True Blood is back on track,tonight episode was really good.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – July 15, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard CM was to appear in 10 episodes, so 5 down… whether it was just to throw us off the scent i don’t know. I do remember the likes of Lizzy Caplan in Season 1 listed as series regular for 4 episodes and then, BAM, Rene killed her.

And here was me hoping for more CM shirtless scenes, we only got one, i think, out of five episodes.

Comment by Martin – July 15, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great episode tonight. love Denis O’Hare. I wish they would just focus more on sookie and the vampire drama and less on terry and all this shifter stuff. sookie, bill and eric barely get much screen time as they used to and please more Tara and Pam goodness. :)

Comment by A – July 15, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^ The shifter story has just began and you’re already hating on it? this is the most Sam has been on all season long so far and I was happy to see him. Sam is as important as Sookie and her men. I do agree on the Terry one though cause even though I like him I feel his story has taken up a lot of time and story from others.

Comment by S – July 16, 2012 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bwahahaha! He called them Kardashian worshipers!

Comment by Tahoe Mike – July 16, 2012 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that found Terry’s speech to Arlene about a “smoke monster” really funny given who she is married to IRL? lol.

Comment by AJ – July 16, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best episode of this season imho.

Comment by Polly – July 16, 2012 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So will Chris Meloni had back to Law & Order SVU, I wonder?

Comment by Pat Graney – July 16, 2012 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Russel was dead! I really thought they were going to stake him and be done with him.. Their is a mole in the mist..and it smells like Salmone. Why would Salmone want Russel alive? Russel is bat sh*t crazy. Also i wonder about Roman..why didnt he turn into a pile of blood? Instead he just turned into a zombie like vamp when Russel staked him…fishy… Also I thought Roman was tougher then Russel..How was it Russel took him so easy..and why did no Vamps come into help Roman..they all just stood around?

Comment by Sergey Atononovich – July 16, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dear God.Her name is SALOME!Salmone is a fish…Tell you were just joking!!

Comment by Aggelikh – July 16, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christopher Meloni better not be done after 4 episodes!!! Really???!!! If so, I will seriously consider giving up on True Blood!!!

Comment by Eric – July 16, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Christopher Meloni BUT Roman was seriously boring me to tears.
    I was really getting tired of his speechifying.
    He either had to die or get out of the authority and mix it up a little.

Comment by Laurel – July 16, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t pay attention to how many eps the actor was signed on for, but the ending wasn’t a surprise at all. I was actually hoping there was some twist that actually would make it surprising, but no, pretty much played out in the direction it was blatantly headed. A little disappointing, but all in all, still a decent episode.

Comment by Tee – July 16, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think that the killing of the h ostages and NOT Sookie/Alice was merely for the sake of them being series regulars. The hostages saw the woman which makes me think that the Spartacus guy is in cahoots with whoever is defying the counsel. Sookie and Alcide didn’t see the woman and therefore didn’t have to die.

Comment by Michael – July 16, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand how a vamp was attracted to just Sookie?Wasn’t one of her parents a half fae?And they have to be fairly close to get a scent of them(Which somehow Jessica missed?)

Comment by Shaun – July 16, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness they got rid of Roman (if he is indeed dead). That entire storyline was a real bore. I would literally snooze when anything having to do with the Authority would come on screen. Let’s hope things really get moving now for the last half of the season.

Comment by Jon – July 16, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be quite a twist if Rosalyn (Barb from Cougar Town) is the female Authority member who released Russell and not Salomé, who seems to be the obvious culprit.

Comment by Ben – July 16, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprised to see Roman supposedly killed, but I’m not upset. I love Christopher Meloni as much as the next person, but the Authority storyline is a big snoozefest. All he did was walk around the table and lecture, booor-ing.

Comment by Jade – July 16, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An Alan Ball epiode… meh.

Comment by Irina – July 16, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Eric realized what was up, and arrived right in time, so he may have intervened. But, I think Roman’s death is imminent. Roman’s woman is the one supporting Russell and she’s the one who freed him. She’s (or the Tina Majorino character) caused the device to kill Russell to fail.

Comment by PenelopeC – July 16, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it was Salome. bitch is obviously evil. I hope Molly (Tina Majorino’s character) survives.

Comment by Russ – July 16, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Errrrr, will someone stake Tara already! And make Mac (veronica mars chick) a series regular and sookies new best friend!
    Also, that fairy nightclub its more like Moulin Rouge gone wrong!

Comment by aim – July 16, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else not a fan of the Salome character/actress? hope she is killed before the end of this season or sooner. i was beginning to warm to Roman in the last episode so its a shock he was killed off considering he was a big name casting. The episode needed more of Pam and Lafayette instead of terry and hoyt. I dont mind Tara she is a much interesting character now that Pam is her maker. Pleased Alcide has made himself a contender for wolf pack master – he and Rikki make an extremely sexy couple if she becomes his number2.

Sooooo f*ckin pleased Luna lives a little while longer. she was one of my fave new characters from last season and was gobsmacked at her supposed death in the ep5 shooting. Cant wait for her to kick some ass once she recuperates, looking forward to that. Sookie and the parent killing story well im not sure who the fave is but i am thinking from what ive seen its not Russell. i personally think he would have ordered her parents to be brought to his home in Mississippi where he lived or had remembered who sookie was when he first encountered her in season 3?. just a hunch, but i’m thinking this person could be the guy who was sat in Eric’s chair (in that S5-TrueBlood Comic-Con trailer) and told Pam that Eric Northman is history before attacking her.

finally i was hoping hoyt died and then the vamp & supe killers show up. TUT!

Comment by Kєssa.H 'Kєssuki' (@iAmKessa24) – July 16, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole season is kind of boring, I mean I was expecting the best season since it was centered on the authority, the mysterious, scary and interesting authority, no the boring speech giving and praying to their mother authority. I feel like True blood is going down, but I might be wrong. It was the same case with Dexter. Season 4 rocked, season 5 was a snoozefest and everyone thought it would go down, but season 6 turned out to be the best one.

Comment by Stefan Tankov – July 16, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The parents killing storyline, if they do it like in the books it will be pretty great.
    SPOILER!
    The killers of Sookie’s and Jason’s parents are the faries. In the books Sookie has 1/8 farie blood, and her father is 1/4 farie. Well the faries are trying to kill everyone that has part-farie blood, something like in the season 4 premiere.

Comment by Stefan Tankov – July 16, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ironically, I think this season’s most interesting story is Terry’s “curse”. I don’t know, the idea of a vengeful smoke spirit seems very intriguing to me.
    I never really hate characters so much that I want them gone, but I am really fed up with Eric’s crazy “sister”, Nora. Can someone please chop her head off and be done with her?

Comment by Christine – July 19, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly miffed that Sookie still thinks her hands are still clean, with her greater than thou countenance and condescending look on her slapped arse of a face?

Comment by Dray – July 21, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post