Comic-Con

Mockingbird Lane's Bryan Fuller on His Munsters Mash-up and New Growth for Pushing Daisies

Bryan Fuller‘s re-imagining of The Munsters may not have a series pick up yet, but the Mockingbird Lane producer is feeling optimistic – even after his last three shows – Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies – all were canceled after very short runs.

“[NBC is] clearly invested in this show, and they’re invested in doing it in a spectacular fashion,” he said at a Comic-Con panel for Mockingbird and the upcoming NBC drama Hannibal. Fuller (far right in the photo above) pointed to the high production level on the Munsters reboot, four minutes of which screened for the lucky audience members, and additional script orders as proof of the network’s support.

Fuller also credited his Pushing Daisies production and costume designers, who have come on board the project, with the show’s look; he described it as if “Hitchcock was directing a Harry Potter film.”

Speaking of the late ABC series, it may rise from the dead! “There is another Pushing Daisies project that is not a comic and that is not a miniseries that we’re working on,” said Fuller cryptically.

Read on for more highlights from the discussion, including some surprising culinary tips from Hannibal.

RELATED | Exclusive: Bryan Fuller Fave Beth Grant Cast as Munster Neighbor in NBC’s Mockingbird Lane

AT HOME ON THE LANE | A sizzle reel of footage from the Mockingbird Lane pilot, which finished shooting three days before the panel, revealed that the series has the auteur’s stamp all over it. Darkly humorous and visually distinctive, the sneak peek featured a scene of a wolfed-out Eddie terrorizing his Boy Scout friends on a camping trip, clever nods to the original series and Eddie Izzard as Grandpa chomping into a lion. Special effects to be added will also allow Lily’s outfit to form out of spiders and for Grandpa to manifest out of rats. “It is a darker version of Pushing Daisies,” said Fuller.

ORIGIN STORY | The idea for Mockingbird Lane was born after monster drawings at a Tim Burton exhibit in New York City made Fuller think, “Why don’t we have a monster family on TV?” He added: “This is about embracing the freak of your family and being proud,” he said.

FEARLESS MAN | “I’m not afraid of reboots or reimaginations. I’m afraid of bad ones,” replied Fuller when asked about tackling two projects based on previously created source material. “It’s a tricky game for sure,” he said, adding that it can work “if you go on in and try to do something different and not just recreate.”

HONORING THE PAST | There will be plenty of special treats in Mockingbird Lane, including homages to classic Universal monsters, made easier by the fact that the show shoots on the Universal lot where many of the old sets still stand. For instance, Grandpa’s dungeon is on the same stage as the original Phantom of the Opera set. Fuller also plans to explore the mythology of how the family came to the infamous address and introduce family pet Spot (a live-action, dragon-like version — “It’s going to be quite fantastic”) and the DRAG-U-LA automobile (“We want to see them build [it]”).

HANNIBAL | Fuller described the Hannibal pilot – directed by David Slade (Awake pilot, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse) – as an “elegant horror movie” that will explore the brief pages of backstory about a case that damaged Will Graham in the novels. (Timeline-wise, Red Dragon would be Season 4, said the EP.) “Season 1 is the bromance [between Graham and Hannibal], and Season 2 is the horrible breakup,” he explained.

BON APPÉTIT | Fuller revealed that famed chef José Andrés is the show’s cannibal culinary consultant, offering up “suggestions for how to cook people” and what body parts can be consumed (lungs: not so yummy). Stranger still: The tips will be released online after the episodes! So just got how gross and meaty will NBC let the show get? “They have been very supportive,” said Fuller, adding that “there’s no way to sugarcoat it” when your show is called Hannibal.

1. Drew says:

I am really intrigued by Mockingbird Lane. I wasn’t interested in Hannibal at all until now. not a fan of the first movie and never cared about the character, but I will watch to see what they do with it.

and more Pushing Daisies would be awesome!

• Anthony Hopkins says:

How are you not a fan of Silence Of The Lambs? It’s the greatest horror genre film of the early nineties! Seriously?! I mean, okay your opinion is super vlid, I just thought that everyone loved it, I mean ANTHONY HOPKINS!

2. Erin says:

I would love for Pushing Daisies to come back! I’ve been rewatching the show with my niece, and I miss it so much. To see it again on any screen would be the best news.

3. MelindaB says:

I am intrigued by Mockingbird Lane–I don’t mind reimagining old shows if they’re done well, and Bryan Fuller has proven himself to be clever and creative; Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies were shows that I fell in love with immediately (so of course they were canceled.) I didn’t get the pay channel that Dead Like Me aired on, or I’m sure that I would have enjoyed that, too, since quirky appeals to me.

More Pushing Daisies? Yes, please! I am still waiting for a season 2 soundtrack.

• Eric S says:

Luckily for you, the season two soundtrack has already been released! You can pick it up on iTunes or Amazon.

4. murley says:

so does this mean the pushing daisies comic will never see the light of day? don’t get me wrong, i would love a live action continuation of the show but I was also really looking forward to the comic.

5. BJohnson says:

Pushing Daisies was AWESOME. I would love for anything new, especially if you guarantee a song from the talented Ms. Chenoweth.

6. Hank says:

The producers seem very confidant that hannibal is going to get a season 2, i guess they were promised a good timeslot?

7. Kalee says:

A Pushing Daisies movie? Animated short/feature/series?

Either way, we need our fill!

8. aunt_deen says:

I will throw a party if Pushing Daisies comes back in any form. I will throw a party and you’re all invited.

9. Babybop says:

Pushing Daisies was amazing. Dead Like Me was even more amazing (which I didn’t think was possible). I trust Brian Fuller to take my heart once again with this show!

10. Che says:

Let’s hope Mockibgbird Lane gets a good treatment, since NBC is not a very reliable network at the time when it comes to ratings. But I would really really like to see both projects on air. They are very promising.

And when it comes to Pushing Daisies is always good news on one of my favorite shows o all time.

11. Angela says:

“Pushing Daisies” coming back in some form? Cool. I’m all for that.
    As for these “Mockingbird Lane” and “Hannibal” shows…okay, now I’m kind of intrigued. When promos start coming out and everything, I’ll definitely be taking a look.

12. CE says:

Betcha Pushing Daisies will resurrect (pun intended) as a Broadway musical. The material really lends itself to that format, don’t you think?

• Cara says:

Ooh, interesting idea, CE! I agree it would work beautifully….and Newsies went from being a film flop to a Broadway success. (Then again, Newsies was a hit on DVD….and Pushing Daisies has very little name recognition. Well, I can hope!)

• beej says:

Brilliant idea, especially if they can get Kristin Chenoweth on board!

13. Gerald says:

But ML was picked up and given a pilot order….

14. V says:

Pushing Daisies was a great show.

15. zaza says:

I am still hoping for Wonderfalls to come back. Loved that show!

16. Whimsical says:

I will do whatever is necessary to support a new Pushing Daisies project. That said, I would still very much like to see the graphic novel- DC comics, are you listening

17. bobbie says:

I could rewatch Dead Like Me ad infinitum. What a great show! Been a fan of Bryan Fuller ever since. Loved Wonder Falls and Pushing Daisies. Hope to see Mockingbird Lane soon.

18. Mark Danley says:

This had damn well better be funny because it ruins the entire premise of The Munsters as a family of monsters trying to be good, normal people. Otherwise, it won’t be worth watching.

19. Dan says:

It sounds interesting, but never will be The Munster’s. Personally i think they’re missing the whole idea of what the Munster family truly is. I’m going to give it a try, but i don’t see this show living up to expectations of the greatest show created…The Munster’s.