Comic-Con

Nathan Fillion Talks Castle Hook-Up ('They're In It to Win It'), Drops (?) Big Hint About Rick's Dad

Now that Castle‘s Rick and Kate have (finally) coupled, don’t worry about some silly push-and-pull thing as they grapple with their new closeness.

Visiting TVLine’s Comic-Con suite, Nathan Fillion assured me that while Castle will still be a “pain in the butt” and Beckett (played by Stana Katic) will still at times be “emotionally unavailable,” this new couple is “in it, to win it.”

RELATED | Castle‘s Molly Quinn Reacts to Dad’s Hook-Up (‘Eww!), Lets Her Comic-Con Geek Flag Fly

As for the dreaded M-word – Moonlighting – Fillion notes that versus the fall-out of the David/Maddie hook-up, Castle‘s writers “have been very clever in not treating this as an ending [but] a protracted beginning. Now ‘it’ can finally start.”

That said, Fillion teases new “problems” to come out of “it,” and he also reckons the Beckett’s Mother’s Murder storyline will keep chugging, if only because “it is such a wonderful locomotive that keeps things moving.”

So then what to make of my reporting on the casting of a senator and Vice President of the United States for Season 5…? Fillion’s reaction to that, and a bit of light he seemingly (perhaps) sheds on it, is quite juicy.

RELATED | Firefly Reunion @ Comic-Con: Shiny-Happy Memories, Much Serenity and So Many Tears

Also in this video: Fillion weighs in on Friday’s uberemotional Firefly cast reunion and gives the latest odds on a Dr. Horrible sequel.

1. patchouli says:

Hope we can hear from Stana too, and soon! :) Oh, I dont think about Moonlighting, the show writers are way too smart! Besides, Bruce and whatever didnt get along,I heard they hated their guts, thats why their show faied! Relax!

• Mig says:

SK rarely does publicity for Castle, but she will talk about FLO non-stop. I have no problem with that, but the SK fandom is always on NF for his Firefly involvement, even though for every Firefly thing he does he does something for Castle. Very annoying.

• James says:

I wonder if there is a prize for the stupidest comment ever made here

• g says:

I am soooo sick of Castle fans bashing its actors! Primarily Nathan for Firefly and everything that goes wrong, but Stana for FLO or some stupid diva gossip too, whatever. Like, what right do you have to tell them how to live their lives, what projects to love, what hobbies to have. You don’t know them, you might think you do but you don’t really. Castle is work for them, enjoyable and well-paid and all, but still work. What you see on screen should be enough, don’t try to make them into fans, or even their characters.

• maryploppins says:

This is the strangest phenomenon to me – the fact that there is this contingent of Castle fans (I think/hope a very SMALL contingent) who like to pit the actors against each other and dig for issues/conflicts that don’t really exist. There are a few t.v. shows that I’ve been enough of a fan of to follow on the interwebs over the years … and Castle is the only one where I’ve noticed this phenomenon. I can’t figure out where it comes from or why it exists for Castle in particular. It’s weird/disturbing!

• Moe says:

Nicely said

• Rebecca says:

The only thing i hate bout it is how nathan thinks o firefly is guna come back with new episodes, like its over its not coming back. I understand it was a gud show bt damn get over it. Same with stana yes i love her bt damn there is to a certain point were they need stfu & tlk bout sum new for a change like the show they are currently on.

• raggo says:

well, that’s actually what the OP meant lol. what right do you have to decide which topics they should discuss and which not, should they “move on” from something or not. I guess your fan experience would be way more pleasant if you just relax, unbunch your panties and stop working yourself up over the things you can’t control. sure you’d be surprised if some random person started telling you what to think and what to say, how is that different with celebriries?

• Nova says:

I think I love Nathan more for talking about Firefly so much. If he didn’t I never would have watched it and I never would have gone out and bought the DVD.
            There’s only so much an actor can talk about about certain shows, they get asked the same questions every interview, so they often have to bring up other projects so they can give different answers. Who would watch other wise?
            You can’t call yourself a fan of these shows or actors when you continually bash them for talking about other projects. Go find a soapie star who has never done anything else if you only want to watch people who stick with one thing and never branch out.

• rowan77 says:

Moonlighting didn’t fail because Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd hated each other – quite the contrary. It was that hatred and tenseness between them that gave the feeling of sexual tension. The show failed because of what Nathan said – they didn’t commit, they didn’t know what to do once the big-will-they-or-won’t-they finally came to an end. It was the writing that was the problem. They lost the path and the show suffered. It seems Andrew Marlowe and his writers have made great effort to keep the tension between Castle and Beckett by not making the relationship easy on everyone while still committing to it.

2. martina says:

First Andrew Marlowe said in that interview with TV Guide that we would see more that just “the morning after”, and now Nathan says the contrary. Was there a change in the script? Perphaps ABC wasn’t too keen in showing a lot? Or did I just misunderstood that interview?

Anyways, either way the premiere will be incredible! I just can’t wait to see how Castle and Beckett deal with each other.

• James says:

ABC? Grey’s Anatomy’s Network not to keen on showing a lot at 10pm? Best joke ever :D

• rowan77 says:

This about what you’re saying. Andrew said we would see more THAN JUST THE MORNING AFTER. “More than just” means seeing it and MORE.

• maryploppins says:

Was “more than just the morning after” a direct quote from Marlowe? That TV Guide article certainly IMPLIED it would be more, but I didn’t see any direct quotes from Marlowe saying it was gonna be more (unless I missed it). Which makes me think that William Keck made incorrect assumptions and then kinda mis-reported it. Which is lame.

• martina says:

Implied, of course. That’s why I also said “Or did I just misunderstood the interview?”.
        Oh well, guess that I was wrong this whole time. Dunno if it was because Keck mis-reported it or just because I wanted to see more.

• maryploppins says:

It wasn’t just you. Keck basically corrected himself on Twitter today, not sure if you saw that. He didn’t directly say “I was wrong,” but I could tell what he was thinking from his tweet(s) – “Oops.” Then I checked tweets (from other people) to Keck’s handle and it was a lot of disappointed shippers freaking out. ;-) The irony is that I don’t think most people expected anything more than “morning after” until Keck wrote that dumb article! So NOW people are disappointed, when they wouldn’t have been otherwise. :-P

• Sammy says:

I would have! From the second the finale aired I wanted to see the next moments! I want to see as much as the censors allow, man. Starting at the morning after would be a huge gyp.

• maryploppins says:

@martina – “I want to see as much as the censors allow, man.”

BWHAHA. I’m not gonna pretend that I don’t feel the same, BUT I just don’t know that people thought they actually WOULD show that much. ;-) Or maybe it’s just me, who knows. I kept my hopes low given the fact that this is network t.v. and not HBO or even basic cable. That is, until I saw that stupid Keck article, which totally threw me off haha.

3. James says:

I agree with Nathan, they can’t put the conspiracy to rest, it’s too juicy to be buried before the end of the show.

• Sammy says:

I completely disagree. Remember, the case that brought them together, the 3xK, still hasn’t been resolved. Kate’s backstory didn’t come into play until further into the first season. I’d love to see them finally resolve Kate’s mother’s murder, since it seems to be time. The writers are plenty skilled enough, and have proved it, to find story elsewhere. Past unresolveds, and whatever the heck is going on with Castle’s parentage.

• The Squatch says:

I totally agree that it is time for the story line of her mother’s murder to come to an end. It was interesting for a while, but now they’re moving firmly into daytime soap territory by suddenly having a senator and the Vice President involved. And, oh yeah, Castle’s father is also suddenly a secret agent. Yeesh. Yes, I still love the show and will still watch it, so I hope all the “why not change the channel then?” folks don’t start piling on me here. I’m allowed my opinion, even if it is in the minority, and just because you love a show doesn’t mean you have to love every single thing about it. I, personally, feel the story has played out enough already and needs to be solved. “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our… Castle.”

• J.K. says:

They don’t know he’s a secret agent. Castle just likes to romanticize what he could be like a lot of kids who don’t know their father, then Sophia said something that may or may not be true. It’d be hilarious if the guy ends up being something truly unremarkable. Instead of James Bond, he’s Jerry Bond, encyclopedia salesman. As for the senator, etc. it has to involve someone higher up because this is a conspiracy of some sort that has the ability to squash the mayor’s thoughts of running for governor, bring in a hit man. That implies some sort of political element or major corporation. If it were anything less, it wouldn’t have been so hard to solve. I just hope they resolve it in a way that’s not like Mulder’s sister on the X Files. That was a let down.

4. Kristine says:

Love that they are going in to win it :D

5. Jake says:

I’m so sick of the so called moonlighting curse– they had huge problems that they couldn’t finish episodes on time that led to numerous repeats and it’s unfortunate downfall

• Sammy says:

I agree. It’s beating a dead horse.

• The worse thing about the ‘Moonlighting Curse’ is that it’s been the excuse to kill so many other promising TV romances! Crossing Jordan comes to mind! -4 years and they were still talking about taking things slow! I quite watching after that!

6. castlesque says:

good, very good, excellent! YAY! I love Dr Horrible and as long as it lives up to the first I can’t wait for the sequel

7. Andrea says:

I’m so looking forward to them as a couple. I have a feeling there will be more than a few comical moments!

8. Donna says:

Glad they are in it to win it because they are so hot together. Moonlighting curse has been over because other shows have laid it to rest. New season should be great. I love Nicki
    Heat books and they are together in them and it is great.

9. Luu says:

I think this new season is gonna be the best. It’s gonna be so much fun to see them working it out. I really excited about season 5.

10. Melissa says:

The next season is going to be amazing!! there are soooooo many stories and plots that can be developed now that they are together, and Andrew Marlowe as well as the exceptional team of writers will not let us down… Castle is just the best show ever, and Nathan Fillion is a smart, respectful, humble, cute, HOT man… yeap, I love him! :)

11. Bluedogs says:

Did anyone watch the other Nathan Fillion clip where he is asked how long he would like Castle to run? And he responds that, of course, he would like to see it go out strong, and then he says he would like to see it go for 6 years. Did he mean 6 more years or only 2 more years for a total of 6? I would hate to see Castle go now that it is just really starting in many ways.

• Sammy says:

That comment of his really bothers me. I love him, but it irks me when he makes comments that seem to not hold that much faith. Solid shows run 8, and Castle is a solid show. Its run by amazing people and has an amazing cast. Just like here when he said that Beckett’s mother’s murder shouldn’t be solved because it’s such a “locomotive” for the show it absurd to me. The success of the show doesn’t rely on that one case. Not that he’s saying that, but again, to me it feels like he’s not showing enough faith in all who have given us amazing story with this show. I hope to God he doesn’t get bored and jump ship at 6, because everything is there to make it go 8.

• Becca says:

i was kinda bummed when I heard him say that too, but if ABC wants to keep the show on past 6 seasons I’m sure he’ll stick around. $ is a huge incentive…Ellen Pompeo and especially Patrick Dempsey on Grey’s, said in multiple interviews that they probably wouldn’t renew their contracts for this coming season but ended up doing it anyway once they got a raise.

• J.K. says:

He said 6 or 7 at one point so he’s not saying “After season 6, I’m out” though if I were Marlowe, I’d have had a heart attack at first.. It’s really not that hard to think, though, that if the show starts to be anything other than exciting to be in, it’ll also be harder to watch and the fans will start to check out. If we still want to see it in large numbers, I doubt he’ll bail. It’s not like he could just decide to leave without the show pretty much having to stop. That’s a big decision to make given the number of other people involved, and I’m sure if Andrew had a great plan for one last season with a promise to end it, he’d change his mind and stick around for an 8th or whatever it ends up being. Just don’t pull an X Files, that’s all I need. (Wow 2nd post and 2nd XF mention, did not plan that, I swear.) There should be no Agent Doggett/Cousin Oliver situation. Go out strong.

• There is one British Series, ‘Coronation Street’ that’s gone on now for 40 years! Good series can last a very long time if properly handled!

12. E says:

Bringing up the M-word, not cool dude, not cool

13. E says:

Funny interview as always, thanks :) !

14. Christa says:

I am so giddy about a dr. Horrible sequel, just let it come out soon!!

15. gg says:

yesss, doctor Horrible! I’m waiting, Nate

16. Missy says:

I want Castle right now ^^

17. DJ Doena says:

Methinks the Moonlighting curse is ebbing away the more years go by. Look at Chuck. Look at Bones. Especially with Bones it was sometimes excrutiating painful (and not in a good BDSM way!) to watch them not getting together for stupid plot reasons. Now that they are together they can tell different storylines.

18. Maria says:

Thank you, Mr. Ausiello, for this interview with the one-and-only Nathan Fillion. He is such a sweet, honest, intelligent guy. And oh, that voice…I could listen to him talk all day long.

Looking forward to season 5 of Castle!

19. Liza says:

Holy C.. Nathan is really fat..I thought that he will lose some pounds for season 5 but this is just getting worse!

• melissa says:

Omg what’s wrong with people!!!! He’s not fat at all.. he’s a tall and big man, not fat. He’s just perfect!

• zaza says:

While it’s rude to call someone fat, it’s ridiculous to pretend that Nathan hasn’t put on weight since his Firefly days. As a tall, big-framed man, he carries the weight better than others might, but he still is carrying extra weight. As an overweight person myself, I always wonder why some people get so worked up about others mentioning an actor’s weight gain. It’s as if the defenders think there is something terrible about being over weight so they are compelled to deny that their favorite actor/actress is carrying some extra weight. The only thing that being overweight means is that you are..well, overweight. It has no reflection on who you are as a person.

• raggo says:

but that’s exactly what these people usually mean you see. they don’t say “oh, he/she put on weight, moving on”, they start bashing and hating and saying things like “disgusting”, “shame”, “ugly” etc. Also, I hear USA is the country with most weight problems in the world, but nowhere else do I see such judgemental and hateful attitude to actual people with this problem. It’s like they’re overcompensating or something. And in no European country as far as I can imagine guys like Nathan would be considered “fat” actually, I have a hard time seeing how it could be an issue at all in my country. I don’t know why and I’m not saying it’s better or worse, but I am constantly surprised with who Americans consider “fat” or “ugly” and this viciously judgemental phrasing and attitude. But then may be it’s my problem lol.

• zaza says:

I don’t know what it’s like in other countries, but you’re right, raggo, there is a real negative attitude here in the USA towards overweight people. Some where along the line, the American public was convinced that being overweight made you a lazy loser. It’s amazing how some nonfat people actually take other’s weight gain as a personal affront. And all the time we are being told that “thin is in”, we are being bombarded with advertisements for fat foods (and diet foods that aren’t the least bit healthy). I swear…every magazine I see in the market has on it’s cover a some yummy looking dessert and then an article about the latest diet. Urrggh. We most definitely have an unhealthy obsession with weight in this country!

• Barry Dutton says:

I like the beefier Castle! The bigger the better! Woof!

• Jay says:

I’m glad they will not have any sex scenes on the premiere because that could be very disgusting..with all that fat

• Klover says:

Sadly true. When he gives a huge grin now he reminds me of Robin Williams. Especially in this clip. It’s not even a ton of weight, but it’s like he’s not even trying anymore. 15 would do him a world of wonders.

• gigi says:

Ouch. I actually thought he looked super cute here and obviously lost a lot of weight. Guess it’s all subjective))))) whatever

• Stephanie says:

I totally agree – I thought he looked like he lost weight in all of his Comicon interviews and panels (compared to Season 4 finale). He looks great to me. Yeah he is heavier than his “Firefly” days but for cripes sakes – he was 31 at the time!! Practically a child! He is now 41!! And I think he looks delicious. I wouldn’t toss him out of my bed! No way-no how. I like a man who had something to snuggle with, thank you very much!! He is Canadian – not one of those skinny EuroAnorexics in skinny jeans – and a big adorable bear of a man!

20. Scary thought: What if Castle’s Dad (who is a Big Deal, we found out last series) has something to do with Beckett’s Mom’s murder?
    Tense.

• Katy_917 says:

I just said that exact same thing to my bf after we watched the clip!!!!

• rachelle says:

I’ve been hearing this a lot. I think it’s waaaay too coincidental for K and R to be connected that way! What are the odds?? If the writers go that route, I don’t think it would be realistic.

21. zaza says:

I disagree with Nathan…I hope they wind up the whole Becket’s Mom’s Murder stuff pretty quickly. It’s dragged on too long. It was beginning to feel like the show should have been called Becket. I am interested in learning about Castle’s dad though. But I hope they do it with a bit of quirkyness.

22. Kate says:

This is a great interview. I’m very happy to hear that Castle and Beckett are “in it to win it”! It would be horrible to have waited so long to see them get together only to have them break up right away. It will be a lot of fun watching them figure out how to be in a relationship. I can’t wait for the new season to start!

23. Danielle H says:

omfg so cute.. “i’m not very bright..” rofl

24. Becketts moms mother a locomotive? No Nathan its a train wreck and collectively I reckon myself and a few thousand more Castle fans are well over it. Wrap it up Andrew! In other news I really cant understand peoples attitude to Nathans weight. It hasent affected his acting, hes still very funny and entertaining, and excuse me if I cant see him as fat, just a little heavier than in Season 1, arent we all 5 years later?! Some of the comments here are really horrible, will you people get a life?

25. Sarah says:

So sick o talking about Nathan’s weight again. Gosh I feel terrible currently because of how much weight I seemed to gain due to aging and Nathan is probably the same. It’s bad enough feeling it and even worse when the only thing thing people talk about is your weight. I don’t even think he’s tht big. Some people will just never have slim bodies. Sure he was 10 years ago but aging can affect people differently. Weight gain is one of those. He just seems to be roughly the same size as my dad who’s just quite tall and bulky. Plus jut putting it out there and having a rage moment, but I bet most of the Americans complaining about Nathan are probably bigger than him. So STFU.

• Klover says:

Oh, give me a break. He’s a paid actor; part of his responsibility is to uphold a certain image. It’s not realistic for Castle to gain weight. Maybe if he were sitting on his ass writing all day, but he isn’t. Castle is vain. Nathan is also vain, but by gaining weight it also shows he’s cocky and too full of himself to notice enough to care. And would you make the same comment if it were a female lead? Good God, all the hounds would be out if a woman gained an ounce, and he’s gained WAY more than that. It’s not adorable little love handles, he’s got a full damn tire around his waist.
      I LOVE this show, but I always notice this, and we’re not supposed to. It shouldn’t take away from the show and distract us, but for many, it does.

• dobson says:

I don’t understand this argument about “if it were a woman”. You don’t want to be mean – don’t be, whether it is about woman or man. Of course you have the right to dislike mr.Fillion as an actor and if you get distracted by his appearance (some people feel differently about it and that’s OK too) you have the right to complain. But it would’ve been nice if you were less rude (I mean your wording) and biased (I mean your personal attacks and assumptions about his personality), now you just come across as a bitter fan-turned-hater with a vendetta. I don’t know Nathan Fillion and don’t care to know (just don’t dig meeting celebs) and I am sure he learned not to care about hateful internet rants and such. But I am also sure that comments such as yours are not pleasant to read for many people who casually look through this thread because they’re just so mean and judgemental (comments not people lol).

And btw Fillion doesn’t seem “vain, full of himself” to me, he actually comes across as a funny self-deprecating dude who deeply appreciates his good fortune. But I don’t know much about him, only seen several interviews here and there and might be mistaken. Though your bitterness makes me think he actually IS a very nice guy and makes me like him more, see that’s the effect rude personal attacks make on casual fans lol. Have a good day, Klover

• dodo says:

oh, c’mon guys, why bother arguing with someone like klover or others like her-him? every thread about every actor-actress-show here or anywhere is filled with comments like these haha. that’s just the internetz for you. every asshole has to go on-line and hate on someone successful or even some other poor anon who just happens to be a little smarter or kinder, meaning weaker. forget all this crap and go on enjoying whatever you enjoy…

• Icon says:

I have to agree that Fillion is getting well compensated for his work and he should take more pride in the image he is projecting. His out of shape physique conveys laziness. I’m older than he is and I stay in good shape for someone my age. Sure I have to work at it for about 45 minutes a day and watch what I eat, but I do it with no excuses. Like the Nike slogan – Just do it! It would also help if he would quit sucking on whipped cream cans and stuffing his fat face with omelets filled with chocolate and marshmallows – something he apparently does on and off the set.

• Stephanie says:

Honestly the first episode I saw of Castle was from the 4th season and I was immediately obsessed with his sexiness which comes from the twinkle in his eye and his charisma not from a number on the scale. Yeah, yeah sure, sure he is heavier than the first season and all that – but to me, it is inconsequential. I am a year older than he is, and a woman – so that makes it 10 times harder to lose weight and I have lost 15 lbs since May. If he decides to, he could drop 20 lbs in no time. And in fact, from all the photos and interviews of Nathan from ComicCon, it looks like he *has* dropped some weight and looks healthier and rested. I honestly think the lighting and wardrobe does him no justice at all because he looks sexy and fit as hell in all those pictures. I personally volunteer to get a good, long, full-body hug from him to verify this information – taking one for the team as it were. ;)

26. Lynwood says:

NF replied to a question after the pilot was completed. He was asked how long the show would last. He said “SIX MORE” AS NF HAD A 7 YEAR CONTRACT AT THAT TIME !!!