Fall TV Preview

Sons of Anarchy Scoop: Community's Joel McHale Books Multi-Episode Arc as [Spoiler]!

Sons of Anarchy Joel McHaleJoel McHale is making a pit stop in Charming before heading back to Greendale this fall.

TVLine has learned that the Community star has booked a multi-episode arc in Sons of Anarchy‘s upcoming Season 5.

RELATED | Community @ Comic-Con: New Bosses Promise They ‘Won’t Screw It Up!’

McHale joins the gritty FX drama as Warren, a handsome con man who picks the wrong person to double-cross.

Additional details surrounding his role are being kept under wraps, but we can confirm that he’ll be working closely with Sons matriarch Katey Sagal. (The actress cryptically tweeted the above photo of the two together on set Thursday.)

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam: Season 5′s Jax Probably Won’t Be ‘Crying as Much’

This guest spot reunites McHale with Sagal and SOA creator Kurt Sutter, who both dropped by the actor’s other series, E!’s The Soup, last November. (Press PLAY below for a peek at their hilarious cameo.)

Thoughts on Joel McHale’s dramatic turn? Hit the comments!

Comments (24)

• Awesome!!!!

Comment by Drewer – July 13, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel on SoA = Win

Comment by K – July 13, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • more stunt casting, who’s next? Sponge Bob ?

Comment by Lia – July 13, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Debbie Downer, is that you?

Comment by Dick Whitman – July 13, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is this stunt casting? McHale is an actor, tv shows cast actors to play characters. Otherwise tv shows would be books. Idiot.

Comment by richard – July 14, 2012 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t mean this to come off as dismissive of Joel, but I don’t think Joel has such big name recognition to be considered a “stunt casting.”

Comment by Carmen – July 14, 2012 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • only if spongebob is a CIA agent!

Comment by Ashley – July 14, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • stunt casting would be hiring Justin Bieber, oh wait, CSI already did that.

Comment by Red – July 14, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have yet to see if Joel can pull a dramatic role so I’m letting the Community enthusiast in me write my reaction: AWESOME!

Comment by Dick Whitman – July 13, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is too epic to be real

Comment by Chris – July 13, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO EXCITED! Especially because he’s gonna be working with Katey! Can’t wait to see those two together!

Comment by Carmen – July 13, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this true? I just can’t believe it. I want to believe it but I’m having a hard time doing so.

Comment by Ari – July 13, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the headline in my facebook feed and thought it was a joke. Cool!

Comment by Jellymoff – July 13, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show, but this almost seems like a joke. I mean, JM is perfectly fine in Community but I just don’t think I can take him seriously as a dramatic actor….

Comment by Gerald – July 13, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Joel is going to be fantastic as a dramatic actor. Can’t wait!

Comment by M – July 13, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone doubting Joel McHales ability to Drama has clearly never seen The Informant or have forgot about his cameo n Spiderman 2 brief but dramatic with one joke during it.

He can do Drama and Mr. Sutter knows how to write peoples strengths.

ps This is definatly happening u can confirm on Sutters Twitter account

Comment by Andre – July 14, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing is – actors who do comedy really well always seem to be able to pull off ‘straight’ drama much better than ‘dramatic’ actors are able to switch to comedy. I’m sure he’ll do a great job…

Comment by sarahjay55 – July 14, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve noticed that too – don’t dismiss a comic actor, I’ve seen many instances where they can switch to drama without missing a beat.

Comment by Temis – July 14, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard somewhere Joss Whedon has a similar outlook as well. Apprently actors who can make you laugh can easily flip that switch to make you cry. Congrats Joel!

Comment by Jason – July 14, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know when the new season begins? Thank You

Comment by Kristy – July 14, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No official date has been announced, but it’s probably going to be early September. They may announce the date at their Comic-Con panel tomorrow so keep an eye out for info. :)

Comment by Carmen – July 14, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Kristy – July 15, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel was in TED.

SoA has funny bits too, so I see no reason why he shouldn’t be in it.

Community isn’t a full on comedy either

Comment by Abe Froman – July 14, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooh. Okay, will be keeping my eyes peeled for those episodes. Can’t wait to find out when that’s expected to start.

Comment by Angela – July 14, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post