Comic-Con

Bones @ Comic-Con: Scoop on Booth's Anger, Washing-Machine Sex and a 'Darker' Season 8

Bones‘ dramatic Season 7 finale will cast a dark shadow when the Fox drama returns, executive producer Stephan Nathan and stars Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz shared at the show’s Comic-Con panel. Not only will Pelant continue to terrorize the team, but several relationships will be tested. Boreanaz also cleared up his job status.

Read on for highlights from the discussion:

RUNNING GAME | When the show returns, Brennan will have been gone for quite some time. “She’s depending upon her father [played by Ryan O'Neal, who'll be in the season premiere] to give her the same life she hated,” teased Nathan. “They’ve been hiding and running for three months.” As for where exactly they’ve been, that’s “a big reveal.” Meanwhile, the team back home is “trying to find a way to get her back, to clear her. Everyone’s patience is growing very, very thin.”

PHOTOS | Exclusive First Look: Bones‘ Retro Comic-Con Poster and X-cellent Accessory!

BOOTH GETS MAD | The FBI agent won’t take too kindly to being left behind by Brennan. “It’ll be difficult for him,” previewed Boreanaz. “He is now being thrust into a position where he’s going to have to deal with the bureau asking him questions.” Added Nathan: “Booth can’t take it anymore. He’s angry enough that he’s not going to be a good boy.” The actor believes Booth will go after his better half on his own, and although they’ll eventually work it out, “she’s going to pay,” he said with a laugh.

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE? | “It’s the, ‘Is love enough?’ season,” explained Nathan, who added that the theme will be about, “Can we put the pieces back together again?” And that applies not just to Booth and Brennan, but also Hodgins and Angela, Daisy and Sweets, and Cam – who gets a “very surprising” new love interest (someone viewers know!) — and her daughter.

DARK TURNS | Pelant will continue to cast a cloud over the Jeffersonian team throughout Season 8. “It’s going to be little darker this season,” teased Nathan, adding, “We’ll see him in the first episode. He’ll come back in ways we don’t expect.”

RELATED | Bones Boss Answers Burning Finale Questions, Confirms Season 8 Time Jump and More!

THE SHOW WILL GO ON | Was Boreanaz serious with his Tweets about being a free agent after next season? “We’re not going anywhere,” he said. “I want the show to continue as long as it can continue.”

CUTTING ROOM FLOOR | What did Boreanaz and Deschanel think of the producers’ decision not to show the long-awaited, eagerly anticipated love scene between their characters? “Less is more. How much do you really want to see?” said Boreanaz, joking, “I wanted to put you up on the washing machine and just go at it. Honestly, I think it was done correctly.” But what about some flashbacks to the pivotal moment? “There may be flash-forwards,” offered up Deschanel. “There’s more Bones babies to be made.”

WHOA, MAMA! | Will we meet Booth’s mother this season? “We will be investigating Booth’s family a little,” hinted Nathan.

HITTING THE DANCE FLOOR | Both stars picked Buck and Wanda as their favorite undercover characters. We sense the need for a revival. “We have a couple planned,” Nathan told his actors. “You might be ballroom dancing.”

STAYING GROUNDED | One more reason to hate the poor economy: Thanks to budget difficulties, no more episodes shot on location — a la the London trip — are in the works.

1. sita says:

Good job! Thanks for the information! :)

2. Elena says:

Interesting info, but no matter what they say, I will still feel jilted out of that love scene after waiting for it for so long:( Oh well, I’m still looking forward to next season.

• Elle says:

Feel the same way. Funny that they loved Buck and Wanda, because other than the Vegas pisode, I do not like the undercover episodes. I am looking forward to more drama.

• Just sayin' says:

They probably took their cues from the House/Cuddy love scene and the fact that it completely fizzled – no naked chemistry! And they didn’t want that to happen with Booth and Bones. That was probably a good choice.

3. Atawewe says:

Aye! I can’t wait!

4. Marie says:

Sorry I left the show because the baby was added and the storylines were stupid and it looks to me that it will be the samr again this season. Sorry bones I enjoyed the ride while it lastest threw season 6 but I can’t stand the ride anylonger. Just be done and cancelled with already. I have better things to watch on tv now.

5. madbengalsfan85 says:

More than ready!!

6. Wendy says:

All for a darker season. I like humor, but S7 seemed to have a wee bit too much of it (’til the finale!). Bring on the drama!

• TV Gord says:

Exactly what I was going to post. I’m all for a little occasional whimsy, but this should could stand to get darker. They’ve got a great cast and great writing. They can handle it! So can the fans, I believe.

• Rachel says:

I agree. Bones has always done drama WAY better than the comedy, so I’m looking forward to a darker season.

• Amy S says:

I actually disagree. I loved the first six seasons BECAUSE it had equal drama and comedy (There were times I actually woke my very peeved dad up from laughing too loud.) However I was a little disapointed with season 7, It just felt too rushed! I have high hopes for season 8 and I really hope we see more of Finn Abernathy and Russ Brennan. P.S I still really miss my character crush, Vincent Nigel-Murray (He was such a cutie) Sorry, I know it hasn’t got anything to do with seasin 8 but, I just rewatched season 6. :p Love Bones! Amy

• Deena says:

Vincent Nigel-Murray! I LOVED him too! He totally cracked me up and was my favorite sqintern they brought in after Zach. I was so sad to see him go. I’m glad though that Alphas was picked up for another season for Ryan Cartwright. I do enjoy watching him on there.

7. sammy says:

I’m excited for the darker season too. I loved that they were together last season (and I still want them together!) but, I also want them struggle. I don’t want it to be all happy and gushy all the time. They are two complicated people with a complex life. I’d like they to be together, but have issues too and deal with them because there are so many things that we never get to hear them discuss.

And we need more Parker!! Or at least….more mentioning of him.

8. Marie says:

Hey, i’m just saying that network tv shows are starting to get really boring and they have stupid storylines now. I have now turned to cable tv shows because they are awhole lot better then network tv shows now that I use to watch.

9. Jaime says:

Cam’s going to be dating one of the squinterns, isn’t she?

• Wendy says:

Of them, who would she date? The only one I can think of is Wendall, and he already went down that road with Angela.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Rumors that the show is bringing back Bunsen Jude…could he be Cam’s love interest?

• myrnama says:

They said someone from the FBI, maybe Hacker or Sully or Perotta??

• Rachel says:

If they’re going FBI, the only really plausible one would be that shady Agent Flynn who was in the finale. I think that would be interesting – it’s a little dark and forbidden – ‘sleeping with the enemy’. That would be way better than the corny romance she had with Paul.

10. BonesForever says:

OK, Marie. We get it. You don’t like Bones any more. But many of us LOVE the show to this day, and we can’t wait for the next phase of the show. Bring on the dark days–just adds to the dramatic side of the show! I for one am excited as heck for the show to be back this Fall for a REGULAR length season, thank you very much! And “more Bones babies to make!” THAT sounds promising for those who want more romantic scenes! Go B&B! We love you!

• Carmen says:

I totally agree!!! I will continue to watch until the very end, as a true fan should. Can’t wait till season 8. Bring it on!!
      :-)

11. BonesForever says:

Maybe Cam will have a romance with Booth’s brother, Jared? She knows him….I can’t see it being a squintern, since she’s the boss. Not too professional to go that direction…..

• Elle says:

Yeah, because Bones had always cared about professional boundaries. I bet its a squintern, since they’re so bug in office romance.

• FireFerret says:

Jared’s actually married/engaged now. Has been since season 5.

What I hope is that they’re not going to pull a season 2 on us. I’m pretty sure that would be the very definition of backtracking.

12. mco says:

I am not so sure about that “love is enough ?” storyline; They’re together, please no more drama about being in a relationship or not, but more about what it’s like to be in a relationship. We wait 7 years to see them together, I don’t want them break up, or even thinking about breaking up, after so long.
    Other than that, I am Happy about the other news.

13. This is still a great show and I know Booth and Brennan will work things out. It will just add to the great drama.

Breaking up is completely unacceptable. They have a child together. Booth is mad she left but he knows why she had to. If they break up, he’d lose everything. No point in him being completely stupid. The writers are better than that. Booth is better than that.

14. Betsy says:

BEST proceidural show EVER! I stopped watching when Hannah got in the way, and Booth was going to propose to her and I REGRET it because she rejected him! I thought he was actually going to marry her.

That’s why I like this show so much, nothing is what is what it seems…plus, you get to learn quite a few scientifical-proceidural stuff.

Hope they get it going beyond season 10.

15. Alexandra says:

I love how they’ve complicated everything. lol I mean, before, it was only just the two of them dealing with the bad guys and the ‘will they, won’t they’ thing…which was becoming repetitive-cyclical.

Now there’s also their romantic relationship AND a baby in the mix! This is going to give a lot to write about. I like the way things have turned.

On the other hand, I love the drama,but I also like the dark humor. That’s what makes Bones unique.

16. Julie says:

I liked the knife throwing Buck and Wanda not the bowling one even though that was probably the best episode ever (the hair was too much).

17. Teresa Pounds says:

Love the show. Hated the season ending. Hope they do not drag that out too long in this new season.

18. sherrie says:

plz hurry and come back on missing all badly even my wee lassie whos six loves the show she daft on booth she watchs all the repeats here in glasgow the uk …

19. Booth babe says:

Love the idea of a darker season. Last season was a bit off with Emily’s pregnancy and we got fewer episodes but I liked the way it was written, not all goofy like on Moonlighting, a show in the eighties with Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheperd. With quality writing the show won’t be destroyed with the two main characters entering a relationship. That whole Huddy thing on House was just awful. They never should have slept together. But that happens in real life, I guess. Back to Bones, can’t wait to see who Cam’s new man is, and what’s up with the others.

20. loli says:

i think cams new love interest will be one of the squinterns….

21. Cheryl says:

Can’t wait for new seaon.The show is funny,serious, educational and human all meshed together. LOVE IT!! I like the” less is more” too!

22. Imane Assi says:

She’s gonna pay?For what?For protecting herslef and her baby,something he couldn’t and refused to do?That’s too much.

So what is he gonna do? Dump her? Good rddence.She can do better and deserves better.I hope she won’t go after him and beg him to forgive her.I hope she kicks him to the curb and moves on.

Seriously? Now she has to pay and apologoze for doing what she had to do?What a joke!If anything, he’s the one who should be apologizing for choosing the system that pelant controls over the safety of his woman and daughter.He refused to run because it “would make her look more guilty”?He’s that stupid?She’s already looking guilty,was gonna get arrested ,get in jail and probably murdered and all he worried about was how guilty she would look…what a moron!If Brennan had followed his plan,she would be dead by now.And we’re supposed to believe that he UNDERSTANDS why she had to do it.The writers and DB really think we’re stupid.

23. dulce gabriela says:

me encanta bones espero que vuelvan a pasar sus capítulos.

24. Bonesfan says:

what about Cam’s BoyFriend Paul

25. Jacky says:

Love Booth but he will always be Angel to me. ;)

26. jacqueline mooney says:

what happened to Parker- or did i miss that episode> completely agree about series 7 becoming silly- story lines were not ‘meaty’ enough and i lost interest. Hope season 8 returns to more complex plotlines.