Comic-Con

Big Bang Theory @ Comic-Con: New Romance, Unsolved Mystery and An Out-of-This-World Treat

CBS’ The Big Bang Theory made quite a bang at the close of its Friday panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, awarding one of the fans who asked the cast a question a bona fide trip into space.

Initially, the out-of-this-world offer was made by astronaut Richard Searfoss to cast member Simon Helberg, who plays unlikely space case Howard “Froot Lops” Wolowitz, but he amusingly begged off. “Altitudes give me a lot of gas,” he explained. “Plus I’m just a picky eater, the dehydrated food thing….”

Instead, Helberg raffled off the trip — aboard the Link Suborbital Space Plane — to one of the attendees.

Other scooplets shared during the panel discussion, which featured Jim Parsons beamed in via satellite and was sans Johnny Galecki (whose flight didn’t arrive in time):

RAJ ROMANCE | “We have a romance planed for Raj,” series boss Chuck Lorre announced. “Wait ’til you see it.” Kunal Nayyar, however, isn’t too concerned about his alter-ego finding love. “It’s gonna be OK,” he joked. “After falling in love with [his iPhone's] Siri, I don’t know how far down that rope he can go.”

OF GEEKS AND MENNNNNNN | Might one of CBS’ Two and a Half Men appear on BBT, now that the hitcoms are Thursday-night neighbors? There’s nothing to confirm just yet, but Lorre does think “it would be great to have one of the gang tutor Jake, because he’s such a knucklehead.”

WHAT’S IN A NAME? | Will we ever learn Penny’s last name? “At this point, we’re a little superstitious about it,” Lorre confessed. As for unveiling it in the series-ending episode, he laughed: “Worst. Series. Finale. Reveal — ‘Penny Jones.'”

SPOCKTACULAR | Months later, the gang is still gushing about working with Leonard Nimoy. “I shared a bathroom with him, so… just sayin’,” Melissa Rauch joked. And apparently all professionalism went out the door in Spock’s presence — at least for one EP. “I can tell you that Bill Prady lost his mind,” producer Steven Molaro shared.

The Big Bang Theory kicks off its sixth season on Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8/7c, now leading into Two and a Half Men.

1. jessie higH20 says:

So, no mention of Amy Farrah Fowler being beamed halfway around the globe to her Saudi Arabian fiance yet, huh? Dang. She wants to be a princess so much, get her tiara and her annoying ass to her Saudi Arabian Prince Faisal already.

• jessie higH20 says:

…and don’t you dare delete my comment, webb. dear tvline, as long as we’re not cussing people out, where’s your freedom of expression?

2. Templar says:

The good thing about AFF is that, by comparison, she makes all of the others [including Stuart] look so much more attractive.

3. Bella says:

I like Amy Farrah Fowler. I think she’s a great addition to the show, especially as they’ve fleshed her character out more. I could live without all her sexual innuendoes directed towards Penny, though. That has gotten really old. I’m looking forward to Raj finally having a girlfriend. It’s about time!

4. Coolio Jackson says:

I think this is the most perfectly cast show…Bernadette and Amy-Farrah Fowler were great additions. Not a week link in the group…great show.

5. A says:

Wow. If we weren’t for this post I don’t think I would have realized that I did not know what Penny’s last name was

• liddad says:

Same here. I really don’t care either. It’s nowhere near got the thrill of “The Janitor” from Scrubs. This isn’t the type of show for people to care about that sort of thing.

6. hugelol says:

isnt anyone curios to meet howards mum???

• Bob says:

No matter who Howard’s mom is or what she looks like, it will be a disappointment. Better to keep the mystery.

• Lucy says:

I think she is like Maris (Frasier), meeting her could be a huge disappointment

• liddad says:

This!
        If we ever met her, every single one of Howard’s “disgusting mother” comments that he’s made since season 1 would become unfunny, and the series would be not as funny in syndication.

• AngD says:

Seeing Howard’s mother would be like seeing Norm’s wife Vera on Cheers – shouldn’t be done because no one could meet the expectations.

• astrid says:

exactly, just like Home Improvement’s Wilson, where you at least saw half the face for years and still it was weird – one IS somehow dissappointed. Such an expressive voice as Mrs Wollowitz should speak for itself!

7. I think Brett Butler should play the role as Penny’s mom in future roles. She is age appropriate, from a midwest background and knows acting. With her comedy background she could also adlib when needed.

8. konnie says:

never underestimate your audience producers.