Comic-Con

Exclusive: Psych to Stage Two-Hour Musical Episode — Plus, Is Someone Getting Engaged?!

Psych Musical EpisodeYou’ll never guess what I saw when I looked in my crystal ball today for Psych scoop: an episode of Glee!

The long-running USA Network satire plans to stage a two-hour musical episode during its upcoming seventh season, series creator Steve Franks confirmed to me Thursday at TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite.

Franks, who was joined by his Psych leading men James Roday and Dule Hill, also shared scoop on that killer Henry cliffhanger, the Clue-themed 100th episode and whether Season 7 will be the show’s last.

Loading video...

1. ScrubsGuy says:

The video is stuttering on me – is season 7 the end?
    I hope they cross-over with some other USA show before it’s done. I’d love to see a Psych-Suits episode – fake psychic, fake lawyers – it writes itself!

2. Tara says:

Is James holding the pillow because he’s still carrying too much weight? He used to remind me of Rick Nelson, but he’s turning into sidekick material.

3. BTM says:

Musical episode = show on its last legs. Have they all switched roles, yet?

• jennifer says:

why does it have to equal a show on its last legs? that’s a stupid comment. scrubs did a musical episode in season 6 and was on 9 seasons

• Ahem says:

Scrubs, House, Grey’s Anatomy… all of those “musical episodes” were pretty lame, the latter of which got eviscerated by the critics. However, Franks is also a musician, so we’ll see.

• Kim says:

What about Buffy? Would you say that musical episode was lame? Because a musical episode doesn’t necessarily mean lame. It depends on who writes the music. Original music always makes it better.

• lauren says:

Scrubs musical episode was awesome and so this will be too! Cant wait… and James is hot.. I wouldn’t mind being that pillow!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I agree, a musical episode is kind of a lame thing to do. I love Psych, I do, but I groaned when I read this headline. And I hated it when Scrubs did it. I just personally think special musical episodes are always really awkward and difficult to watch. Only Community has been able to pull it off well, and that has more to do with the show’s tongue-in-cheek, satirical attitude than anything else. Every other show takes themselves so seriously when they do a musical episode.

• Maggie says:

LOL, when has Psych EVER taken itself seriously? I’m sure it won’t be like Grey’s Anatomy in an attempt to be moving and heavy. I’m not a musical episode fan either but if anyone can pull it off and have it be funny, it’s Psych.

• bobbie says:

The best musical episode ever was Once More With Feeling (Buffy). There was nothing lame about it. It was incredible. It should have gotten an emmy. I’m hoping for something as good for Psych, because the writers and crew and everyone are so awesome! Should be lots of fun!

• Kasper says:

Couldn’t agree more, bobbie! Loved Buffys musical episode, it just felt right.

• Kira says:

I second that. Once More With Feeling was terrific!!!!! I’ll randomly start singing songs from the episode when I’m around my friends. You know who your real friends are when they start singing with you lol

• supernaturaltvfan says:

So true! Everything to do with Buffy is awesome.
          I have a theory…. That it was bunnies! Lol. Tots fav song

• Do you not remember that Buffy/ Joss Whedon pioneered the musical episode? Absolutely brilliant and does not mean a show has jumped shark…just that the actors are confident in their abilities. Given all the outtakes and singing they do…seems a natural extension of the show. These guys are solid!!

4. diana says:

James is still continuing his love affair with that pillow.

5. JWB says:

I can’t believe Psych is still on the year. Stick a fork in it, it’s done…

6. Rach says:

hahah ohh I love Psych and James, Dule, and Steve…
    and can we PLEASE get a marriage proposal (and a yes!) between Shawn and Juliet? Please??

• Turk says:

Haha! In a way, we get one, but it’s in a fake reality episode and in the real reality they break up, and they fake one is an engagement. Oops.

• Goiber says:

No, not yet, it would change too many things like breaking Shawn and Gus apart. That’s too much

• Tattyana says:

I’d love that of course! But I have some… info that will knock all of your socks off! I have ways of getting nice Psych spoliers. And one of those spoliers were that Lassie marries Marlowe.

7. V says:

I love Corbin Bersen’s character.

• Arnie Becker Fan says:

Steve Franks was awfully vague about his “death,” though, wasn’t he? At this point, I’m not sure if Henry lives or dies. Sniff.

8. E says:

great interview as always :)

9. Carrie says:

A 2-hour episode of “Psych”? Yes, please.

10. murley says:

i laughed out loud more during that interview than i do at half the comedies on television. these guys are so naturally funny and have such great comedic chemistry. they make the show. can’t wait for season 7!

11. erika29 says:

Can’t wait for Psych’s return!! This show is pure happiness!

12. Kelsey says:

A Moulin Rouge type episode would be AMAZING.

13. Chelsea says:

Psych fans have been begging the producers for a musical episode long before Glee was created! Their singing Psych Outs are the best, and I couldn’t be happier that it’s going to be 2 hours!

14. psychisthebombdotcome says:

I LOVE YOU RODAY AND DULEEEE!!!!!!

15. Beth says:

I’m so stupidly excited for the Clue episode. Like, I thought I was excited for the Twin Peaks episode but this takes the cake. I wish they could find away to have Tim Curry on as well, even though he’s another character on the show. Like, have him show up as his character Nigel for some random unexplained reason.

• Alan says:

well they got ray wise back for the twin peaks episode so it could happen

• alyssa says:

That would be unbelievably awesome! When I found out about the Clue episode, I started geeking out ALL over the place. Gahhh. Season 7 is going to be freaking EPIC.

16. bobbie says:

I am so looking forward to season 7! Can’t wait

17. How am I gonna go on without Shawn and Gus?
    @televisionwhore

18. Aiden says:

Musical episodes when done right become instant classics! If the show pulls it off like Scrubs, Buffy, and Community did, it will be amazing. Also, not sure if Franks was kidding on this, but he teased about getting Zachary Levi from CHUCK on the show to sing during their panel at Nerd HQ. Really hope this comes through, that’s be a great guest spot.

19. maddie miller says:

omg no no no no no no no no no no no no no there HAS HAS HAS HAS HAS HAS to be more seasons im ACTUALLY getting teary eyed ewwwww :(

20. Amber R says:

A musical episode would be great, Roday has a great singing voice and Odmunson is just plain crazy halarious. I’ve got the same ‘grab a pillow and put it on your lap’ issues, it’s cute that James does it too. Here’s to season 7!

21. Angelica says:

I haven`t seen psych since the first 8 episodes of season 6 so I am really confused and really happy about the musical episode! I think if anyone can do one and do it well, it would be this talented cast and crew. P.S can anyone tell me what happened to Henry that people think he will die? I think I will cry if he does TT _TT

• Hannah says:

He went to a cabin with a “close friend” who turned out to be part of a huge crime during Henry’s career. Henry was never able to figure it out until right before his “friend” shot him. When the show ended, you don’t know if Henry got help or not. You just saw him lay on the sand.

• micgold says:

He was shot by a former partner from the police department. It ended with him lying there and us not knowing how bad he was hurt or if he was alive or dead, but it looked very bad.

22. Stephanie says:

Just stopping bye to say to the PSYCH Members thanks for all them wonderful episodes that just made me feel good i laughed… Im excited for the next season and just wanted to say keep it up…Love You Guys!!!!<3

23. Kathy says:

Henry can’t die! Jeanne Cooper hasn’t been on yet as Shawn’s Grandma. Anyway, we love Henry. Show wouldn’t be the same without him

24. Nick says:

The pillow is a comfort thing, he’s not hiding his weight I’ve done it all my life I am 120 pounds give or take. I am honestly surprised he does it too haha! Awesome video love these guys.

25. Nick says:

By the way you guys seriously need to get the term over-weight right because he’s not.

26. Nayla says:

Yes, James should lose weight. If he’s still with Juliette on the show, and Maggie Lawson in real life, he should be just as attractive as her. All the other characters have stayed fit, so should he.
    I also don’t want Henry off the show forever . . . nooooooo!
    Still a good show. Hopefully Gus will be a more dignified character.

• alyssa says:

Don’t know about your eyes, but I think James is crazy attractive! Even more so than in seasons past. I’ve been crushing on him for several years now, and Maggie is one lucky woman!

27. ANYTHING COULD HAVE MADE HIM A LITTLE BIGGER IF ANY ITS NOT LOOKS HES A GREAT GUY WITH A HEART TO GO WITH IT ,ARE HIM AND JULIETTE REALLY GOING OUT EVEN IN REAL LIFE ? AND IF HE DID WHICH I DONT KNOW NEW FLASH IT COULD BE A MED HES ON THEY DO AND CAN MAKE YOU GAIN BUT IF YOU ASKED ME I THOUGHT HE WAS TO SKINNY SO THAT MEANS HE JUST RIGHT . I FELT LIKE THEY WERE REALLY IN LOVE ON AND OFF THE SET PRAY THEY ARE AND THEY CAN GET ENGAGED AND NOT GET MARRIED FOR A FEW YEARS THEY WOULDNT BE THE ONLY ONES .AND PL GO TO SEASON 20 AND SO ON WOULD BE NICE

28. Omid says:

If James and Dule are a bit overweight it is only because of all the junk food they eat during the episode.

29. Crtl Alt Dlt says:

I cant wait for psych to return and i hope they make more than 10 seasons! :)

30. JR says:

When does the new season start? anyone know?

31. Gee Buttersnaps says:

omg!!!! i am so excited for the shawn-juliet item!!!! PLEASE get married!!!! and also, no!!! corbin cant die! i dont think they would let it happen, since much of the show takes place in Henry’s house. they will probably just keep him in the hospital. in which case shawns mom might just come back again. yay!
    i lov you james roday, dule hill, tim oslund, maggie lawson, corbin bernson, and others. also steve franks and Andy b. you guys rock!

32. G says:

When is season 7 beginning????….miss my boys!

33. Bv says:

One of the best and fun shows on tv hope it don’t end for another 7 years

34. Katie Johnson says:

Omg I’m so excited!!! I really think Maggie and shawn are gonna get engaged, or why else would he have brought the ring with him when they went on their romantic get away? I really hope they don’t kill off Henry, he Plays such a big role in the series!!! It would be awesome if they did a collaboration with another show, I really hope they do:) and PLEASE make it till at least 10 SEASONS!!!!

35. elle bacino says:

I’m with ya G ! when the heck does the new season start? either I’m computer challenged (quite possibly) this is being treated like a US national secret

36. Bana Doyabad says:

Could someone PLEASE tell me when psych is comin back on?? I want the new season to start now!! This psych-o is gonna go psycho without some new episodes quick! And James is Fu(#!@g HOT he doesn’t need to lose weight, his personality alone is sexy enough. Chubby or not I would still date(and other stuff) with him ;-) haha!

37. Heather says:

Shawn has always held pillows in the show and I think it’s cute its kinda lik the pineapple,I actually started holding pillows when I watched the show bc he kept doing it and who cares if he’s gained weight people r def over analyzing this.

38. Physysics says:

USA has disappointed me… The website says there will be new episodes starting February 27, 2013. That’s a *bit* later than “Fall.”

39. supernaturaltvfan says:

OMG, James is NOT overweight in any way, shape or form. And nor is Dule or any of the other cast members