Exclusive

Exclusive: Nikita Promotes Devon Sawa to Series Regular for Season 3

Nikita‘s third season is still many months away, but it’s already shaping up to be the best yet.

Recurring player Devon Sawa has been promoted to series regular in Season 3, TVLine has learned exclusively.

“We are very happy about the return of Owen and looking forward to the excitement he will bring to an already exciting cast,” Nikita creator and showrunner Craig Silverstein tells TVLine about the upgrade.

RELATED | Exclusive Post-Mortem: Nikita Boss Reveals Why [SPOILER] Had to Die — and What’s Next!

Sawa, who plays endearing and good-hearted Guardian Owen Elliot, has appeared sporadically on the CW spy thriller since early in its run. He quickly became a favorite among fans, despite their typical leeriness toward new male characters who might pose a threat to the show’s core couple, Michael and Nikita.

RELATED | The CW Renews Nikita for Season 3

Sawa isn’t the only Nikita vet getting a bump in the coming season. As previously reported, Noah Bean’s stalwart CIA agent Ryan Fletcher was made a series regular shortly after Season 2 wrapped.

Nikita’s Season 3 premieres Friday, Oct. 19, at 9/8c.

Are you happy to hear that Devon — and Owen! — will be back full-time? Let us know in the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, Scoop

1. brandon says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I’m not really a fan of this character…

• Captain says:

Yeah. I like him, but in installments. I liked the way Nikita did it for the first two years, bringing him in when he was needed. I don’t think he’s necessary as a regular.

• Rachel says:

I used to think this too…that he should only pop up once and again, to bring a different dynamic and “stir things up”… but tbh the ONLY reason I am somewhat excited he’s a regular (despite his awesomness, cause i do think his character is pretty great.) is the fact I have been fantisizing about an Owen and Alex hookup since season 1!!! and they havent even met yet LOLOL yet i’ve always believed they would ahve such amazing chemistry; in addition to all the unwarrented parallels both their characters have (using division/gogol as an instrument for revenge, butterflies, drug related pasts, etc) ugh i just love the possibility of it! and can only hope that the writers will explore it throughout the season!……

p.s: not that this affects my bias towards Owen at all.. but Sean’s character does absolutely nothing for me. So im glad at least Owen will be in this team to counterpart Michael as a fellow badass spy. lol

• Olivia says:

I’m the same as you, I feel he’s better in small doses. But if the writers have a good storyline for him, then I can deal with it.

• Diana says:

Ohh no you’re not alone in this one.

• CJ says:

He’s OK…..the one who does nothing for me is Michael. The show does seem to be stocking up on hot guys.

2. Lore says:

Finally!!!! More Owen!!!!! so many testosterone…. i need Nkita NOW!!! imagine Owen and Nikita, and Michael jealous, i cant wait to see that

3. clay says:

Best decision ever. I’ve been waiting to hear about his promotion since Season 1.

4. Patricia says:

Finally

5. Castle Lover says:

6. Allison says:

If he stays away from Alex, I’m ok with it.

7. Brandy says:

Awesome!

8. Chalice93 says:

Nikki + Owen please, I’m sick of Mikita.

9. Julie says:

As long a Devon wasn’t promoted just to make a Michael/Nikita/Owen triangle, which I will hate, I’m cool with it. I like the char so he’ll be a great additional to the team.

• Beth says:

Exactly! That’s the only reason I have slightly mixed feelings about this. As long as they leave Michael and Nikita alone, I’m happy about it.

• Julie says:

ugh addition not additional. Hate making typos.

• CJ says:

I don’t think they will do that. I’ve heard more than once from people on the show (both actors and writers) who have said Owen is there as more of a protective brother for Nikita, not as a love interest.

10. penelope says:

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Lisa says:

Devon Sawa has worked hard and added great male energy and sexual tension with Maggie Q to the show, where it lagged without his presence most of last season. This is great news!

12. Jake says:

13. Renee says:

This is really good news. I just started watching Nikita (thank you Netflix) and just met this character. Really liked him and really like the show.

14. tvaddict says:

This is shaping to be the best season yet! I have really grown to love Nikita. To me its the CW’s 3rd best show after Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries.

15. S says:

OMG I’m so happy!!! More Owen!!

16. Kat says:

Yes! Really like Owen.

17. Ryan says:

Love Owen and Devon Sawa but I do wish that they would bring in another strong female character. Right now, the cast is overwhelmingly male but at least our three female leads are some of the best on television so that creates a little balance. I guess I’d be more satisfied if Sonja’s role was beefed up a bit in season 3 so that maybe she could become a regular for season 4 (because, yes, I’m that hopeful).

• Michael says:

Nikita will get a 4th season. Networks don’t renew shows for third seasons if they don’t plan on a 4th…to get it to the magic syndication number. I was shocked that it was renewed in May but now I’d be shocked if it wasn’t renewed next May.

• Ally says:

Three female leads? Who’s the third? Are you counting Amanda–is she coming back? I wonder how the show is gonna utilize all its cast plus introduce new villains. I’ve heard the budget for Nikita was smallish, which is why several characters on the show were recurring rather than regular.

• Ryan says:

Yes, I’m counting Amanda. I think with her it’s just one of those situations where the actor is a regular but they can only afford to use them for 13-ish of the 22 episodes, hence the periods of time when she’s MIA. But she’s definitely a series regular. I’m also very interested to see how the show will work in new villains. Obviously Amanda is out there and is a huge threat now that she’s cracked the Black Box but there has to be someone else. Could Ryan’s imminent corruption be coming sooner rather than later (because we all know that it’s coming)?

18. Olivia says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

19. Tammy says:

YAY! Finally.

20. Sarah says:

He’s ok. I want Mikita and Salex.

21. Leo says:

About time. Great news, his character was very interesting. For the show to be perfect, all they need is to get rid of Alex now, her story has nowhere to go and the character just makes no sense.

• ZmaX says:

Seriously? Alex is a huge part of the show! Her family storyline might be over, but Alex still has a lot more potential and development for the future. The show started with Nikita & Alex taking down Division together and now they can rebuild it into something new. The final scene of the season 2 finale pointed this out, Nikita’s final words to Alex, “Here we go again” :D

• Abigael says:

I totally agree.I don’t see any sense in keeping her around.She already served her purpose and truth is I don’t care about her anymore.She seems irrelevant to me now.

• Ally says:

Not a chance. By far the best relationship on the show is the frienship/mentorship between Alex and Nikita.If Alex left, the show would change way too much.

22. Carla says:

AWESOME!!!!! Nikita and Owen are the best!!

23. Kate says:

Sawa should have been promoted a long time ago, before Dillon Casey and Noah Bean.

24. mattjdrumm says:

HELL YES ABOUT DAMN TIME.

25. JettaJameson says:

YES! Stoooooked! ‘Nikita’ is one of the best written shows on TV. It’s pretty much genius. The full time addition of both Devon Sawa and Noah Bean is going to add so much to an already stellar cast. So excited for season 3!

26. Noa says:

SWEET BABY JESUS, YES!!!! FINALLY!!!!

27. Lea says:

Love this. :)

28. Ella says:

Good. Devon has way more chemistry with Maggie than Shane does. Put Owen/Nikita and Michael/Alex together.

• Michelle says:

THIS! Owen and Nikita have way more chemistry than Mikita, IMO. But there’s no question Mikita will be endgame. Still want to see Owen and Nikita give in to their sexual tension though! (Please, writers?)

• Annie says:

omg can you be more delusional?

• I LOVE NOWEN says:

AGREE! ALWAYS been rooting for Owen/Nikita since Owen first got introduced in S1. They have SO much more chemistry! It got boring when everything was about Michael and Nikita.

• Ana says:

AGREED! I’ve always shipped Owen/Nikita and Michael/Alex, ever since the first episodes of s1. I find Michael/Nikita to be SO boring with absolutely not chemistry.
      So happy Owen was promoted! He is way more interesting than Sean or Ryan :p

29. Lorena says:

Michael, Ryan, Owen, Birkhoff, Sean…damn this show has so many pretty faces and awesome 6 packs!

30. Devon is best male actor/character (below maybe Percy) on the show!

31. Elana says:

YAY! i was wondering if he would be back. Owen is hands down one of the best male characters on Nikita. <3 Devon

32. YES! Officially a perfect cast.

33. Justin says:

Good move to me. I like Owen.

34. J says:

I think the appropriate reaction is: HOLY CRAP DEVON SAWA’S STILL ALIVE?!

• Annie says:

hahahaha I can’t believe people ship Owen and Alex…she’s supposed to be 20 years old and he’s in his late 30’s

35. Kelly says:

Sorry to burst Malex shippers bubbles, but MALEX WILL NEVER HAPPEN! JUST GET OVER IT! Mikita is all that matters!

36. Danny says:

When he tweeted he wouldn’t be in any more of season 2, I was so sad and thought maybe something happened on set or something and that was his last appearance. I’m SO happy he’s a season regular along with Noah Bean now. I hope they don’t do a love triangle with him, Michael and Nikita but I hope they do something with Alex. I love her and Sean, but a lot of people have talked about Owen and Alex since season one and Lyndsy said she pitched it to the writers last season so who knows what could happen.

37. I think it’s awsome that Owen will be sticking around regularly now. I couldn’t help but find myself hooked by the tension between him and Michael and the wonder of what would happen if he spent a lot of extra time with Nikita on their own. The possibilities of multiple scenarios is what keeps me really interested and waiting to see what comes next. Congrats to @DevonESawa and can’t wait to see where Owen goes in Season 3. October just can’t get here fast enough. :)

38. Alexis says:

YASSSS! Owen is always a highlight on the show. His chemistry with Nikita is pretty great to watch but that doesn’t mean I necessarily I want them to hook up.

39. I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, I love Owen and seeing more of him would be great; he was sorely missed in the latter half of Season 2 (one of the VERY few qualms I had with this awesome season). On the other hand, I don’t feel he’s needed as a series regular. So far, the show has done a good job of phasing characters in and out of the story according to their needs, rather than just catering to fans and shoehorning in characters because they’re popular. I don’t want Owen to be around all the time just because fans love him – he makes more sense as someone who shows up every now and then. However, these writers are incredible so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Just please, for the love of GOD – no love triangles, ever. No Michael/Nikita/Owen, no Michael/Nikita/Ryan, no Alex/Sean/Owen, NOTHING. This show has been a wonderful breath of fresh air, with its mature, intelligent storylines and the lack of contrived teen drama and everyone sleeping with each other. Let’s keep it that way. Nikita and Michael work beautifully as a couple, anyway, and if the writers want to throw some wrench their way, make it something believable rather than petty jealousy.

40. JC says:

Great news but I’m warning the writers to use Owen wisely or else he’ll turn into one of those annoying third wheel character trying to get Nikita’s attention :)

41. RandomJ says:

Yes, great news! This makes an awesome show even MORE awesome!

42. Abigael says:

He was so good with Nikita in episode 2.10 that I can’t stop wondering what it would be like 2 see them really 2gether.He listened 2 her like Michael has never done before and I liked it.I’d be happy 2 see him go 2 missions with her.Nikita had nothing 2 lose in Sn1 bt in sn 2 she had Michael and it totally weakened her especially with the Cassandra drama.Can’t wait 2 see what happens when Nikita returns.

43. Maëlle says:

Now that’s a good new =D I’m looking forward to see the third season anyway and really, should be amazing !!!

44. Elyse says:

love this!

45. Marianne says:

He is more of a brother to Nikita. He and Nikita have more in common with each other in terms of their experiences, etc.

46. Allison P says:

When Noah was promoted, I was hoping Devon would get the same treatment. So happy to see two of my favorites in more episodes next season!