Ultimate TV Bad Boy? We've Got Homeland Vs. Walking Dead, Sopranos Vs. Dallas! Vote Now!

We’re nearing the end of Round 1 in our TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament, and the competition remains brutal as ever.

Today, we find Homeland‘s Nicholas Brody duking it out with The Walking Dead‘s Daryl Dixon, and The Sopranos‘ Tony Soprano up against Dallas‘ J.R. Erwing.

Every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (24)

• No way Gandolfini wins against JR EWING. I mean JR would have eaten Tony Soprano for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!!

Comment by Trista – July 10, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And JR Ewing would NEVER end Dallas with a black screen and NO ending.

Comment by Lisa – July 10, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • JR Ewing is the best TV character of alltime. Tony Soprano is good but JR was the template for all Evil characters.

Comment by JASon – July 10, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daryl Dixon! No contest! He rips ears off of zombies and WEARS THEM AROUND HIS NECK! You don’t get more badass than that.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 10, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brody? a bad boy? no way.

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 10, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you even watch Homeland?

Comment by Olive – July 11, 2012 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i just have a hard time putting him the same category as, say, Sylar, T-Bag, and bratty teenage boys.

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 11, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daryl is the only redneck I would ever be attracted to!!!!

Comment by tvaddict – July 10, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This poll is bull.the only thing worse(badass) that t.soprano(mob boss) is hitler

Comment by Devon – July 10, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Devon,
      I there was a thumbs up I’d give most of your comment both of mine (- the poll being bull since it really is just for fun).

Comment by NoChance – July 10, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew Daryl against Brody would be my toughest contest. I love Homeland with a fiery passion, but I guess in the end it’s got to be Daryl for me. He’s another one I wouldn’t mind seeing win this whole thing.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 10, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All within the span of a few hours, Daryl fell down a mountain twice, killed two zombies with an arrow sticking out of him, eats raw squirrel, then gets shot in the head and lives to fight another day.

Oh, and he has a necklace made of ears. Argument, invalid.

Comment by Mía – July 10, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best comment ever!

Comment by tripoli – July 10, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, two incredibly close races. This will be interesting…

Comment by wordsmith – July 10, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m shocked by how close it is, but never having seen Homeland I would have Daryl winning by a mile. Also very surprised about J.R. and Tony being soooo close, maybe J.R. was just too long ago?

Comment by elr – July 10, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of people must not have Showtime.

Comment by KS – July 10, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not watched any of the shows in these two brackets. Yet, I was able to vote for Daryl simply because I adore Norman Reedus.

Comment by Melody Paris – July 10, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JR might be a piece of work (and all the rage again now with the series continuation) but Tony Soprano makes JR look like a (non-Monty Python) bunny rabbit. Beat to death a once good friend in his own kitchen (bye Ralphie), ordered the death (and many others) of the manipulated Adriana.
    PS since others have already brought it up:
    LOVED the sudden to black with the/Don’t Stop Believing ending ….”don’t stop…” – playing in the background. Jumped to feet and shouted at my TV: (self-edited for language) “That was effing brilliant!”
    Kelly won my loyalty and admiration for having the courage to end it on such a tense and open note.

Comment by NoChance – July 10, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a huge TVLine fan, but I do have a problem with the whole “tournament”. While there are many fan favourites/justified Bad Boys like Tim Riggins, Chuck Bass, Damon Salvatore etc, many of the choices aren’t exactly “bad boys” to begin with.

I think the term “Bad Boy” is used too loosely here, and seems to be interchangeable with “Villain”.

How did Tyrion Lannister, Rumplestiltskin, Sylar or even Lex Luthor make it to this list?!

They are fabulous characters to watch, but just true-blue villains nonetheless, and there’s no bad boy rebel streak in them to conflict against their better judgement/conscience. That internal struggle is usually what makes a bad boy tick, and brood, in a gorgeous way, of course.

Plus, we’re missing out some characters here aren’t we? Caleb for PLL, instead of that two-bit Noel Kahn, and where’s Liam Court of 90210?

Comment by Pamishere – July 10, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And how can we forget King Henry (Jonathan Rhys Meyer) from the Tudors?

Comment by pamishere – July 10, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with the fact that they’re using the term “bad boy” too loosely, but I’m thinking it’s in the opposite direction! There are quite a few people on this list that aren’t even remotely bad.

Also, Tyrion Lannister is most certainly NOT a villian!

Comment by Rain – July 11, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh yes… definitely not Tyrion. He is a hero in my books, especially during the Blackwater ep. But you get my drift…. villains and bad boys are not to be confused.

Comment by pamishere – July 11, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Norman Reedus is hot!

Comment by Juliette – July 12, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hardly leave a response, but after looking at a few of the remarks on Ultimate TV Bad Boy? Weve Got Homeland Vs. Walking Dead, Sopranos Vs. Dallas! Vote Now! – TVLine.
    I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or do some of the responses look as if they are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at additional online sites, I would like to keep up with you. Would you list of all of your social community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Comment by how much are braces – September 12, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post