Katie Holmes: 9 Ways To Reignite the Dawson's Creek Alum's Love Affair With TV

Katie Holmes is a free woman — meaning, that as she embarks on this new chapter in her life, and on a new coast, the time is right for her to reconsider and recommit to her acting career (and in doing so hopefully steer wide of anything else like Jack & Jill). So, short of How I Met Your Mother‘s Slutty Pumpkin getting her own show, we’ve got some ideas of where on TV she could (or should) turn up.

For Katie Holmes, the Dawson’s Creek Alum | The real James Van Der Beek has made no secret of his wish for some semblance of a Creek reunion (which, according to some rumors, Tom Cruise always put the kibosh n). So who’s to say that the “James Van Der Beek” of Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 doesn’t bump into his newly single former costar in a November sweeps episode? Of course, an even more far-out alt reality could take place on Fringe, were Joshua Jackson’s Peter to get a blast from the past there in the year 2036.

For Katie Holmes, the Thespian With Something to Prove | Like bacon, The Good Wife makes everything – or in this case, every guest star – better, so we’d be quite curious to see how the right role could show us something new and exciting about TV’s erstwhile Joey Potter. Plus, the CBS drama films in New York City, which Holmes is now calling home. Our verdict on that: Convenient. But if Holmes really wants to put sweet Miss Potter behind her (à la her risque, premarital turn in The Gift), some time with the Sons of Anarchy would surely rev her acting engine.

For Katie Holmes, the Musical Theater Vet | Let’s consider other shows that shoot in the Big Apple. NBC’s Smash, for example, often films right in the neighborhood of TVLine’s Times Square offices. Since Holmes boasts musical theater roots (already put on display during visits to Eli Stone and So You Think You Can Dance), maybe Bombshell fleshes out its Marilyn/JFK angle and Holmes cameos as First Lady Jackie, the role she played in The Kennedys?

For Katie Holmes, the Aspiring Fashionista | Holmes has her new Holmes & Yang fashion line to promote. And since she’s already got a Project Runway guest judge gig under her belt (to air next season) — and we wouldn’t wish the hokey Fashion Star upon anyone — let’s weave her  careers together by injecting her into Eleanor Waldorf’s world on the NYC-based Gossip Girl. (Better yet, did someone say spin-off?!) Or, if daughter Suri happens to be an ABC Family kid, maybe Mom can play herself on Jane By Design?

For Katie Holmes, TVLine’s Plaything | Hear us out: We’d cast Holmes on Revenge as the real Emily Thorne – meaning that the tough gal with the odd accent who Amanda met in juvie and borrowed a name from was already living off a third party’s stolen identity! This one we like if only because it’d make writing recaps for everyone pretty much impossible (e.g. “FauxNoManda then told Amily and Emanda….”). Plus, what recent divorcee wouldn’t want to be on a show titled Revenge?
     Or, speaking of Eli Stone (above), maybe the actress could reunite with Jonny Lee Miller on another New York City-based production, CBS’ Elementary. After all, that one writes its own on-air promos: “Holmes… and Holmes!” (And that, friends, is why we’re not in the on-air promo business.)

Would you like to see Katie Holmes back on TV? If so, and if not on any of our suggestions, where, and as whom?

TAGS:
GET MORE: Commentary

1. vanessa says:

maybe she can have her own…

2. wordsmith says:

A cameo on Fringe would be mind-blowingly awesome, but ultimately not healthy for the show, I think.

3. Meg says:

Katie on Apt 23 would be awesome!! I’m sure the writers are already brainstorming ways to make that happen!!!!

4. Liz says:

I would love to see Katie make an appearance on Apt23. That would be so awesome!

5. Kelly C says:

I thought Katie Holmes was coming into her own right before she met and married Tom Cruise. Who knows where her career would have been had she continued on the same path sans him. See the movie “Pieces of April.” It’s entertaining and she was excellent in it.

• GDV says:

She was great in Pieces of April, Wonder Boys, and Thank You for Smoking. I think she can do some good work—but for some reason she’s picked some real stinkers since marrying Cruise. I can see her doing solid guest work on The Good Wife. It’s a well-received show that she would get some good press for it. Otherwise, she could return to some good films if she just called Jason Reitman or Christopher Nolan again!

6. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I say no to all of the above but the Revenge idea made me laugh out loud, as if the identities on that show couldn’t get any more confusing.

• Alternate Peter says:

While I don’t think Katie would agree to the idea, I think that the writers should make it happen. It makes sense too, as the show is a soap. It would be interesting to see how the characters navigate the situation. However, it would only work for a few episodes before it got boring.

7. Ray says:

I wanna see a Dawson’s Creek reunion on Cougar Town. Michelle Williams already said that she will probably guest. Busy Philips is already there, MW will guest and then try to get as many of Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson, JVB, Kerr Smith, and Meredith Monroe to show up. Plus I would like to see what Bill Lawrence and Kevin Biegel could do with it.

8. Jess says:

nah, I’m pretty sure Suri watches Mad Men ;D

9. ladyhelix says:

Step away from SYTYCD.
    Katie ruined the finale last year (I’m sure she didn’t mean to) – so if she hopes to “re-ignite” anything it would be best if she DIDN’T remind us how she yammered on, and on, and on, and on, and said NOTHING (other than “gee-whiz”). I was mortified on her behalf – she was that bad.

I genuinely wish Katie well – she’s a talented actress and she’s certainly smart enough. Judging SYTYCD was just an unfortunate performance. Perhaps she’s too shy and/or conscientious to do “stand up” (which is what that gig is).

10. GeoDiva says:

The problem is she’s not that great of an actress.

• Temperence says:

Actually, she’s a really decent actress – that hasn’t been allowed to practice much in many years.

11. Jay says:

Host Saturday Night Live and she’s golden.

12. Ade says:

Haha perhaps Lillith on True Blood…now that would be worth watching! lol (I realise they’ve wrapped filming)

13. Dirk says:

Well, it seems the wise move would be to book gigs on both Apt. 23 and a prestige show like The Good Wife. The Good Wife would prove that she takes her work seriously, and Apt 23 would prove that she has a sense of humor about herself. Put the two together in the same television season and she proves that she’s a dynamic personality.

And on a side note, is it too late to make Meredith Monroe happen? Andie was a favorite of mine and I always thought it was crap that they wrote her out because they supposedly ran out of stories for her.

14. Robin says:

I agree with the writer who says Holmes isn’t much of an actress. A child star does not an actor make.

• Doug-H says:

She was hardly a “child” star.. She was around 18 when she started Dawson’s Creek..hardly a child though she played a 15-16 year old…

15. Captain says:

I agree with so many of these. I think a guest-starring role on Apt.23 is a must and she’d be great on The Good Wife and Smash. I love the Revenge idea but ultimately don’t see it happening. Guesting on any of these shows is a start but it won’t completely revitalize her career. She needs a high-profile movie or television series of her own (be it a new series or joining the cast of an existing series for a substantial arc) in order to kick her career into high-gear.

16. Allyson says:

I am so happy Katie was able to free herself from Tom and that cult. Perhaps a year from now her caeer will take off. I am quite curious to see how she will bounce back from all of this. Guest apperances on tv shows will help remind producers/directors who she was before the whole Tom thing. I would like to see a reunion between Katie and Joshua. I miss that duo. Yes, I was a Pacey/Joey fan. I think she needs to find a role that will redefine her as an adult and stay away from guys like Tom Cruise.

17. Katie says:

LMFAO: Holmes…. and Holmes!

18. PrisonMike92 says:

I love the Apt 23 idea. And it seems the most logical. Really hoping this happens. I love Katie Holmes.

19. Molly says:

Yes, she NEEDS to guest-star on Revenge!

20. shuayb says:

I’m sorry but Katie Holmes can act. She’s good. Pieces of April was ahamzing and the critics thought so too. She doesn’t always get good roles written for her. Like the slutty pumpkin. I think she should guest star in Apt 23. And for the person who said she must guest in Cougar Town. Kevin and Bill Lawrence don’t run that show anymore. Besides Bill will only bring guest stars from HIS previous show. He’s made that clear.
    She should def get a drama role.

• Stacy says:

Obviously that’s not true since both Lisa Kudrow and Jennifer Aniston guest starred.

• Ray says:

Kevin and Bill wont run it day to day but they will still be involved. And Michelle Williams has already said that she is going to guest at some point.

21. Erin says:

Yuck. It’s akin to you guys in the media wanting Rachel Bilson to happen. Yeah shes cute and she was great as Summer, but that’s it. Girl has no range, she plays summer over and over. Similar deal with Katie. Cute and great as Joey but that’s pretty much it. Everything else has been underwhelming.

I’d prefer them to cast a talented newbie to join the ranks in my tv shows. If TPTB all kept that mentality, noone would get a chance and television would be a crap heap of the same old boring old people. Our current faves were all unknowns at one point. Ugh enough of Katie Holmes. We’ve got enough articles on her divorce as it is.

22. ED says:

The only way there should be a Dawson Creek reunion would be if they re-wrote the series ending and have Jen survive her heart disease. No Michelle Williams, mo reunion.

• Doug-H says:

They could have a flashback or a what-if episode though it’s been 10 years and the time is passed where the finale was..

23. sparky says:

Apt 23 where she could make fun of herself like James does!! Best idea!!

24. Karen says:

I would love her on The Good Wife and Apt. 23

25. sbell1208 says:

Anywhere!! Love her!

26. Mína says:

The 14-year-old in me just started missing Joey/Pacey

27. Jinjeon says:

She should take a regular role on an already established TV show. Shonda Rhimes is looking for actors to fill the new roles on Grey’s Anatomy. Katie would be a perfect addition to this show!

28. I love Katie and I’m really looking forward to seeing where her career goes now that she is a free woman. I’d love to see her back on TV in anything. That being said the Apt. 23 and Smash ideas sound the most appealing!

29. Lori says:

What if we just let Katie fade into obscurity where she belongs? She has no talent and irritates me in every role I’ve seen her in. And please, keep her away from SMASH! The cast of SMASH can actually sing so putting Katie into the mix would be humiliating for her.

30. JM says:

Nicole Kidman left Cruise –> She got an oscar
    Pe Cruz left Cruise —> She got an oscar
    Give Holmes time and a Woody Allen movie and she will have her oscar…
    I loved her since ever… i wish her well… She might be in SVU… and get her emmy… we will see…