The O.C. Vs. Veronica Mars, My So-Called Life Vs. FNL as Bad Boy Tourney Heads to High School

Everybody knows that high school — or at least the TV high-school drama — is bad-boy territory, and that’s certainly the case on Day 14 of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament.

Today’s bouts feature The O.C.‘s Ryan Atwood battling Veronica Mars‘ Logan Echolls, and My So-Called Life‘s Jordan Catalano going head-to-head with Friday Night Lights‘ Tim Riggins.

Every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (79)

• This is the WORST. I can’t do this. Jordan Catalano vs. Tim Riggins?!?!?! Pure evil.

Comment by Catalina (@cmcandela) – July 9, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. These choices leave me in agony. Both of them.

Comment by Jane – July 9, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I CANT CHOOSE!!!! Damn you!

Comment by rebecca – July 9, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops, Not Catalina.. Damn You TVLine!

Comment by rebecca – July 9, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutley painful. These two would both be in my finals.

Comment by KHS – July 10, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still miss Logan Echolls. And Veronica Mars. I love the O.C., but I’ll take Logan over Ryan anyday.

Comment by charlinye70 – July 9, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where is Jason Dohring these days? He’s very talented. He needs good parts! He had a small bit on Ringer, and an appearance on Supernatural. I’d sure like to see more of him.

Comment by bobbie – July 9, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Logan FTW!!

Comment by GDV – July 10, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never thought Ryan Atwood and Logan Echols looked much alike until you put those tow pics side by side. I almost thought one was Doherty’s Ringer character

Comment by portiaslegacy – July 9, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan Echolls <3

Comment by Charlotte – July 9, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By far the easiest decisions I’ve made today (Logan and Tim all the way!)

Comment by Mary – July 9, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! It was an instantaneous decision for both of them!

Comment by *Chiara* – July 10, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOGAN logal logan logan. definitely one of the hottest bad boys of all time. love him!

Comment by abby – July 9, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so totally agree!!!!

Comment by bobbie – July 9, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan Echolls. All day, every day.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 9, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How dare you pit Jordan and Tim against each other in the first round!

Comment by Patty Housel (@phouse1964) – July 9, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved MSCL, but Jordan C was a bit of a douchebag. Easy choice for me.

Comment by Michael – July 9, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve never even seen Friday Night Lights, but I still voted for Tim Riggings since I never liked Jordan Catalano. ;-) It’s not that even that he was a douchebag – at least that would make him a real “bad boy” or just more interesting – he was just kind of… dopey and shallow and nothing all that special behind the James Dean-like appearance. Angela fell for an idea about him that she built in her head that had little to do with real Jordan, the guy who was at his most inspired when he wrote a song about his car.

On the other hand: Logan Echolls is AWESOME. Smart, snarky, troublemaker but loving and devoted and brave, the quintessential bad boy with a heart of gold (as cliche as it sounds – he makes it work).

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 9, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Completely agree! I always hated Jordan. He’s an illiterate with no future. Tim Riggins matches your description of Logan, too. Friday Night Lights is brilliant and you should check it out.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 9, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Illiterate! He was dyslexic! That’s somewhat unfair, even though I never particularly loved Jordan. But still, he was sort of the embodiment of teenage crush-hood, and for that I will always feel nostalgic about him.

Logan Echolls, on the other hand… my first and only love.

Comment by jill – July 9, 2012 09:27 PM PDT
  • Logan!!

Comment by Sally – July 9, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan vs Ryan! Why? Some of the finest bad boys out there ;)

Comment by Courtney – July 9, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The battle of the California bad boys was hard – but I had to vote for Logan. He went out of his series beating up a Russian mobster’s son. If we were voting on who had the best pool house – I would have totally voted for Ryan Atwood. I miss the OC and Veronica Mars.

Comment by Em – July 9, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! It was the first thing that came to my mind. Logan not only did that, but he did it just to prove a point. You don’t mess with Veronica and expect him to do nothing about it, no matter who you are. That is a badass!

Comment by Jason – July 10, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim Riggins all day, every day.

Comment by Kristen – July 9, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol why is Puck from Glee on this bad boy list? If anything he’s a wannabe badboy who sleeps around for money

Comment by lame – July 9, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He impregnated his best friend’s girlfriend, regularly bullied a bunch of his peers, slept with teachers and married women. Maybe he’s not a supervillain or a criminal mastermind, but I think he qualifies as a bad boy.

Comment by wordsmith – July 9, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus he’s on Glee. For Glee that’s like superevil.

Comment by Captain – July 9, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta give this one to Logan – he really is the quintessential bad boy. Ryan was a “bad boy” on paper, but other than a few isolated violent incidents, he was kind, respectful and selfless almost to a fault.

Comment by wordsmith – July 9, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan and Riggins. MOST DEFINITELY. Easiest decision of the bracket thus far. Both are everything a bad boy should be. Plus, two of the greatest TV shows EVER! I do fret when I’ll inevitably have to choose between the two of them in the next round, though :\ Who am I kidding? TIM RIGGINS ALL THE WAY.

Comment by soarin829 – July 9, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are in my head. :)

Comment by Sarah – July 9, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Texas. Forever.

Comment by Paige – July 9, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. Clear eyes, full hearts! <3

Comment by KBC – July 10, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • … Can’t lose:) <3 Tim Riggins, a man of few words but SO MANY MEANINGFUL LOOKS

Comment by Serena – July 10, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking I need to finally get around to watching FNL.

Comment by Lora – July 9, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most definitely you do!!!

Comment by Spikesgrl – July 9, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES YES YES!!!

Comment by rebecca – July 9, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Be careful if you’re prone to power-watch tv shows. I’m on episode 35 (almost through the second season) and I started watching it about 5 days ago.

Comment by Heath – July 10, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would someone PLEASE give Jason Dohring his own show?!?!?!?!

Comment by Spikesgrl – July 9, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I voted for Tim but it was a hard choice for me. I assume the fact that I was 15 when MSCL was on might have a huge thing to do with my love for Jordan. But Tim is Texas, clear eyes and full hearts. And damn that boy knows how to drink a beer.

Comment by Tammi_T – July 9, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh, c’mon! how come jordan catalano is losing? don’t people like to watch good tv?

Comment by Michele – July 9, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My So-Called Life was awesome and it’s one of my favorite shows, but I never really liked Jordan. He was all appearance and no substance. Angela, Brian, Rayenne and Rickie were great characters, though.

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 9, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t ask me if I watch good TV if you haven’t seen Friday Night Lights!

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 9, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Logan…

Comment by Gilda – July 9, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan vs. Logan = torturous decision for me :( Ultimately I picked Logan, only because he seemed ultimately more “bad” than Ryan ended up being. But still, agonizing decision. They both have those wounded puppy faces!!

Comment by Johanna – July 9, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now this would be the category for Tate from AHS and Jess from GG.

Comment by Florence – July 9, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • logan is the quintessential bad boy. he should win the whole thing.

Comment by murley – July 9, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re so right

Comment by bobbie – July 9, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree! Rooting for him to win the whole thing as well!

Comment by Michelle – July 10, 2012 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, Jason Dohring did a movie (2011) “Searching for Sonny” that was made mostly with donated dollars on the internet, and is supposed to be good, but I have no idea if or when it will be available to the public. I so want to see it. Also Minka Kelley and Masi Oka!!!!

Comment by bobbie – July 9, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw it at the Phoenix Film Festival and it was HILARIOUS. Especially with the guys from BriTANick as supporting players.

Comment by Tricia – July 9, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my 16-year old self will always be in love with Jordan Catalano but its hard to vote against Riggins!

Comment by Laura – July 9, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voted for Jason because of his vampire on Moonlight because I didn’t catch VM. lol

Comment by Danielle H – July 9, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan Echolls: past present and future. One the easiest votes so far

Comment by Tiera – July 9, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the oc and Benjamin mckenzie who should really be a bigger star now

Comment by Jake – July 9, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan Echolls for her. He and Veronica were awesome together–much more chemistry than that lamo Duncan.

And ah yes…Jordan Catalano. Loved him during the show’s orginal run..sigh…rewatched the show last year and realized he was kind of lame (although still smokin’ hot).

Comment by Ally – July 9, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Jordan Catalano/Jared Leto (the ORIGINAL bad boy, well OK after Luke Perry) isn’t running away with this undermines the legitimacy of this poll.

Comment by Nikolas – July 9, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mean Jesus was everyone voting in this born in the year 2000???

Comment by Nikolas – July 9, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Maybe they just 1) don’t like Jordan 2) prefer Tim Riggins? And it doesn’t undermine the credibility of the poll at all. Not only wasn’t Jordan the “original” bad boy (I’m sure the concept consisted far before the 1990s – if anything, if someone was the original bad boy in pop culture, you should be looking at James Dean or Marlon Brando) – but he wasn’t really much of a “bad boy” at all. Being dyslexic and not doing well at school doesn’t make you a bad boy. What did he ever do, except stand in schoolyard looking distant and mysterious, which was really not because he was troubled and deep and brooding, as Angela thought, but because he was really dopey and shallow and never had much to say?

Comment by timetravellingbunny – July 10, 2012 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg LOGAN!! <3

Comment by airhead – July 9, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dang that was hard…logan vs ryan is just cruel and unusual punishment I am sure its against the geneva conventions to torture someone like this!! ultimately I thought about some of the bad things they each would do and for some reason logan doing that whole homeless man fight club thing popped into my mind and I was like would ryan do that and I thought heck no so logan won it for me cause ryan was a good bad boy he was sweet just a little bit rough around the edges but logan was a jackass and I loved him for it lol btw where is jason I need him on my tv screen!!

Comment by Ashley – July 9, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan Echolls = Total Bad Boy Package. Yup, yup, yup. Easy peasy decision.

Please give Jason Dohring his own show! I miss him on my TV screen.

Comment by charmedlass – July 9, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The same exact “head over the shoulder” pose. Really? lol

Comment by Michael Sacal – July 10, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just realized there was only 1 minority in this whole list!
    Stringer Bell!!! AND HE DIDN’T EVEN WIN HIS MATCHUP!!! STRINGER BELL?!?!?!?

Comment by davey – July 10, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See – I never saw Ryan as a bad boy. Most of the time he got into trouble for defending himself. Logan on the other hand… Logan was an awesome bad boy.

Comment by Trista – July 10, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan and Jordan Catalano…I guess most of the voters were not teens when My So called Life was on. I was and even though FNL was a good show I still say Jordan!

Comment by sarah – July 10, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have the I heart Ryan Atwood wifebeater… nuff said!!

Comment by Jj – July 10, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ryan Atwood. He’s actually my favorite TV character, but he’s not really a bad boy… if anything, I think he’s one of the nicest, most thoughtful and selfless male characters on a teen drama, lol. He’d never wish ill on someone and he didn’t defy authority unless he was protecting someone. Logan is much more of a true bad boy.

Comment by Tresa – July 11, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a slightly tough choice between Ryan and Logan, but I had to go with Logan. Ryan’s not really a bad boy. Now if I had to choose between Logan and Jordan Catalano, it would be an extremely difficult choice. Two of my favorite, misguided characters. (Though if it was based on looks, Jordan Catalano/Jared Leto would beat pretty much anyone in a heartbeat.)

Comment by Lindsey – July 11, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jordan Catalano in a heart beat! MY SO CALLED LIFE ~ BEST SHOW ON TV!

Comment by Juliette – July 12, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logan all the way! Ryan is boring and depressing

Comment by Sarah – August 5, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched all these shows but no one beats Riggs. He was funny and he always made the worst decisions. Tim is absolutely the perfect bad boy antihero… and Taylor Kitsch has a little bit of that in him in real life. One of my favorite lines between him and the stunning Tammy Taylor is when she finds out he screws hot girls so they do his homework for him:
    Tammy-Tim, what is the Scarlett letter about?
    Tim- Uh, it’s about a gal.. named Scarlett, obviously
    …. And come on. The southern accent he rocked makes you melt! I really loved The OC too but honestly I didn’t think Benjamin Mckenzie’s acting was great.

Comment by Gloria – September 18, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post