Fall TV Preview

Gossip Girl Exclusive: 7th Heaven's Barry Watson Joins Final Season as Serena's New Love Interest

Barry Watson Gossip GirlSerena’s love life is looking up, way up — her latest beau comes all the way from Heaven.

Gossip Girl has tapped 7th Heaven vet Barry Watson to join the sixth and final season as a romantic interest for Blake Lively‘s unlucky-in-love alter ego, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Gossip Girl Taps Lost Beauty For Final Season

Little is known about his recurring character, save for his name (Steven Spence) and occupation (he’s a young entrepreneur).

Watson’s post-Heaven credits include portraying the title character in ABC’s What About Brian and co-starring as Christina Applegate’s on-again, off-again boyfriend in ABC’s Samantha Who? Last year, he played Sara Rue’s time-travelling suitor in the ABC Family pic My Future Boyfriend.

Gossip Girl‘s abbreviated farewell season launches Monday, October 8.

Comments (63)

• …huh.

Comment by Summer – July 9, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A new love interest with only a half-season pick up for their final season? Hmm…

Comment by Kendal Walworth – July 9, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YYYYAYYY!! :)

Comment by brigygirl3 – July 9, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I mean, I love Barry Watson as much as the next girl who adored him as a youngin’ on 7th Heaven and then laughed endearingly throughout Samantha Who. But for Serena? I’m not seeing it. Not to mention I don’t think she needs a new love interest, anyway. Bring back Carter or let her fall back in love with Nate, please.

Comment by Emily – July 9, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Endgame should either be Serena/Carter or Serena/Nate.

Comment by Michelle – July 10, 2012 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!! Nate, please. So so tired of Serena’s flavor-of-the-month love life. And Nate’s for that matter. They belong TOGETHER, not with blah guest stars that we have no emotional investment in as an audience.

Comment by J – July 10, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I support your idea completely… My dream would be that she ends with Nate, Blair with Chuck and Dan all alone :)

Comment by Tinemi – August 14, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the actor, spesh on Samantha Who? but isnt he a little old to be playing a 20 yr olds love interest? His last love interest on a show was Christina Applegate, that to Blake Livly! i know i know older men are sometimes better, but Serena is as immature as her characters age, it just seems wrong!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – July 9, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it at all. 10 episodes and they bring in a love interest for Serena. They should have brought back Carter or done Serenate if they wanted her to get in a pairing. Main cast members barely interact all season because of the Gossip Girl obsession with guest stars. Basically all we have gotten so far is what the new final season guest stars will be. I was hoping that the Blair/Serena story would lead the season but I guess that is not happening.
    The Producers really know how to kill any building excitement for the new season.

Comment by Melly – July 9, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more! I prefer either of your suggestions to having yet another love interest for Serena this late in the game. It’s only 10 episodes left, I think it should be saved for main cast and long term reoccurring cast (Carter, Jenny, Penelope, Chuck’s uncle, etc.). I’m also hoping to get at least one more episode with Eric, Jenny, and Vanessa coming back, but I’m sure I’m in the minority with that one.

To sum it up, last season and 10 episodes = tying up loose ends, not starting new ones!

Comment by Kimfan – July 9, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The finale kind of set up the Blair/Serena storyline for the final season. They’re going to hate each other and probably resolve their differences in the finale. I’m guessing Barry Watson is a road block that makes Dan realize how much he loves Serena. It’s the only thing that makes sense since she chose him in Season 4 and basically spent two years chasing after him. I’m hoping Nate ends up with Ivy.

Comment by Captain – July 9, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he is a good actor but a bit old-ish for Serena! He will probably be her REHAB guy or something!
    Interested how they will integrat him into the story!

Comment by Stay – July 9, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Young entrepreneur.” Drug dealer?

Comment by Mike – July 9, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my thought as well. Could Serena be another Marissa?

Comment by Keenan – July 9, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m ok with this. People to need to lighten up–obviously he’s not going to end up with Serena. (right?)

Comment by brandon – July 9, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s true, it just seems like even more of a waste of time then. We want to see the mains interacting, not dating guest stars.

Comment by Amber – July 9, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barry Watson is 38 in the real world. Blake Lively is 24. Even if they drop both their ages by 2 or 3 years I don’t think that makes him “old”. But I’m 34 so I guess I need to go ahead a pick out my cemetery plot now. And FYI my parents are 11 years apart & have been married for 41 years.

Comment by mirvin365 – July 9, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Serena is 20, maybe 21. So he is an almost 40 year old dating a barely 20 year old. They already did the older (wo)man with younger person with Nate and Liz Hurley’s character. Do we really need to go down that path again? GG only has 12 episodes. They should not be casting for any new characters.

Comment by Ari – July 9, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s dating Ryan Reynolds who is 36

Comment by towanda – July 10, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been waiting (impatiently) for Barry Watson to join another show I just wish it was a show that I actually watched!! When will someone give him and Jason Dohring their own shows?!?!?!?!

Comment by Spikesgrl – July 9, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought he seemed too old as well to really have a role in the storyline, but then reailzed Elizabeth Hurley and Chace Crawford have an even greater age difference.

Comment by April Fool – July 9, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? Another guest star love interest? There are 10 episodes left! Time to start rebuilding Derena. Like it or not, you all know it’s coming. I just hope they can make it convincing because I really loved Dan and Serena.

Comment by Amber – July 9, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m going to be really pissed off if they even attempt to rebuild Derena. It would add further proof to the fact that the writing on the show is sloppy as hell. There are certain things that should be left alone…

Comment by WillIam – July 9, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s quite the age difference.

Comment by Chelsea McQuaid (@chelseamcquaid) – July 9, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s dating Ryan Reynolds Irl who is 35. I don’t think age difference matters.

Comment by S – July 9, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you seen RR?He’s still looking like early 30′s,lol.

Comment by Shaun – July 9, 2012 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO It’s THE last season, enough with guest stars already. Can they just focus on the Main characters instead? Lola and Ivy in S5 had more screen time than Chuck or Nate. This is ridiculous.

Comment by roXie – July 9, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ivy’s better than Nate.

Comment by Captain – July 9, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want her with Nate

Comment by ❀ Naudia G. ❀ (@Love_MyLife) – July 9, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so no Carter?

booooo

Comment by disappointed – July 9, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish they would put nate/serena back together. but as long as they don’t sloppily throw her back with dan in the final episode i’ll be okay with a new love interest.

Comment by kay – July 9, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, come on. Nate and Carter were the only two guys on this show who loved and accepted Serena for who she is. The writers need to get their act together and stop making viewers endure filler plotlines. Serena and Nate were a beautiful couple. They made each other very happy, yet they were broken up for no good reason in 3rd Season Finale. Make it right, please, writers. Rebuild Serena and Nate’s relationship. You never should have ruined it in the first place.

Comment by Katherine – July 9, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^this!! Well said.

Comment by J – July 10, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. SO MUCH.

Comment by G – July 11, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Could not agree more!!!! Nate and Serena belong together! Maybe this new love interest will help Serena open her eyes and help her become a person worthy of someone who’ll really love her!!! So she’ll go back with Nate!! Duh!!

Comment by Claire – July 16, 2012 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • UGHH! Seriously they have to spend these last few episodes reviving Nate and Serena’s relationship! They were so happy together!!! I mean they’d be really good for each other! Serena needs someone to save her and I hope it’s Nate!

Comment by Isabelle – July 16, 2012 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok so what about Gabe Saporta? lol I really wanted his sexy butt on GG full time, might even get me to watch this show again!

Comment by Florence – July 9, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the most random thing ever.

Comment by Alex – July 9, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Barry Watson’s character will be Gossip Girl’s very own “Volchuk” because I do not want Serena to be endgame with a newbie. I still have hopes for Nate to be the one who rescues Serena from her downfall. *sigh* The amount of guest stars they’re recruiting makes me suspect that things with the lead characters won’t be properly resolved by the last episode.

Comment by WillIam – July 9, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Volchuk!! have not heard that name in forever!

Comment by rebecca – July 9, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO, SERENA AND NATE! :( Now that Dan and Blair are obviously not going to be together again, I’d at least love to have my NS back. They were a perfect match!

Comment by Krista – July 9, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i do love barry watson (he was especially endearing on samantha who?) but i still vote that they bring back carter for serena. he was my favorite. and i am glad to see i am not the only one who thinks that!

Comment by murley – July 9, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Barry will impregnate her out of wedlock? He has a habit of doing that to women.

Comment by Miffy – July 9, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show needs to end and I for one am glad it is ending. The strongest relationship on the show is Serena and Blair, it keeps this show making sense. I hate that they messed with it yet again. Sorry to go against the grain, but I hope Serena does find happiness with someone a little older. Her male high school friends should remain just that, friends. They are mere kids compared to her. But who are we kidding? In a reunion tv movie ten years down the road, they’ll all be on their fourth or fifth marriages, lol.

Comment by april-ann – July 9, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh please we don’t need Serena to butcher whatever character Barry Watson plays. Let’s face it, we all know she’s gonna do it. Oh well, no matter to me, I have no reason to watch GG anymore anyways!

Comment by Sara – July 9, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I can pretty much predict that Barry’s character will be the villain, make Serena (yet again) look like an angel and it’ll all lead to some stupid finale with Serena either killing Barry’s character or he will be put in jail and Serena will be deemed a hero. So, no thank you. I’d rather have the show focus on their main cast, especially with how badly they butchered each character in the season finale (especially Blair. I mean, dumping her boyfriend with a text message to get back together with Chuck, the guy that abused her, sold her to a hotel and the person that Blair had said, not even two episodes before, that she didn’t love anymore?)

Comment by Jessica Nightflame Desrocher – July 10, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s 38 and Blake will be 25. A13 year age difference is not that bad. He’s only a few years older than her rl boyfriend.

I forget where I read it now, but seem to recall a spoiler that suggested a new man would enter the scene to sweep Serena off her feet and they would ride off in the sunset together scenario. I got the impression they wanted to end the series by giving Serena a fresh start. Did anyone else read that?

I don’t see her ending up with one of her old flames. It sounds like they intend to spend what time they have trying to salvage her friendship with Blair.

Comment by shannon – July 9, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True there lol, but people thought tvline was joking with that spoilerand didnt take it seriously.

Comment by zay – July 10, 2012 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just an obstacle for Derena to get overcome, nothing more.

Comment by Chalice93 – July 10, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want her to be with Nate!!!!!!! No more guest stars please! It’s the final season. Let the focus be on the original cast.

Comment by Maryam – July 10, 2012 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh, the writers don’t care about anyone on this show other than Chuck (and sometimes Blair) and it shows in the writing. I’m jut looking forward to Chace and Penn getting out and getting some actual decent exposure in cinema. They sure as hell deserve it more than Blake, who gorgeous but couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag.

Comment by Ella – July 10, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i couldn’t agree more

Comment by towanda – July 10, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No actress could make the crap they write for her look like anything other than what it is. Blake is a good actress when she has good material. She was fine in the first season when the writing was better for her character. She has other obligations in the fall. Maybe that’s why they’re focusing on patching up Blair and Serena’s friendship and sending her off with a new guy.

Comment by SR – July 10, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will sit here forever believing that Carter will show up at the 11th hour and whisk her away.

Comment by Penny – July 10, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be surprised if Barry Watson’s character isn’t just a roadblock for endgame Serena/Dan.

Comment by Kristen – July 10, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be surprised if Derena happens. They’re too entangled in Serena’s relationship with Blair. Let Dan stay single and be a writer traveling the world and living the boho life.

Comment by SR – July 10, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please oh please let this series end strongly and not be so sloppy or overly dramatic to the point of ridiculousness !!! As for this new guest star….zzzzzzzzz…..then I’ll wake up from my nap once Nate and Serena are together again and become endgame yes? Yes!

Comment by julie – July 16, 2012 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is with the guest stars?! Whatever, as long as they spend these last season tying loose ends properly!!! I really miss the old GG episodes when it seemed more about the main cast! As for Serena, come on, Nate is the only guy seemed to really love her, accept her, keep her stable and keep her on her toes all at the same time!!! It only makes sense for n/s to be endgame!

Comment by Kara – July 16, 2012 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more guest stars please! The main thing I want to see this season is Chuck & Blair getting back together (Possibly an engagement? <3 ) & Blair & Serena's friendship thing.

Comment by GG – July 30, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carter and Nate Serena for Serena or NO DEAL.

Comment by willow – August 18, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post