Scoop: Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch Books Dual Guest Role on The Simpsons

Let’s hope this doesn’t mean Maggie’s binky is about to fall into the hands of Professor Moriarty!

Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch has booked a dual guest-starring role on The Simpsons‘ upcoming 24th season. Cumberbatch will play both the British Prime Minister and a snake-like character in an episode titled “Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing,” TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: Benedict Cumberbatch on Playing Sherlock at 50, His Mad Men Envy and That ‘Mortifying’ Downton Abbey ‘PR Disaster’

Cumberbatch first revealed to InStyle magazine that he’d serendipitously worked his way into a gig on the long-running animated series. The actor happened to be taking a meeting at the studio where The Simpsons‘ voiceover work is done, and heard there was an uncast role. “I said, ‘I hate to muscle in here, guys, but could I record it?’ Next thing, I’m standing in a room with all those famous voices: Bart, Marge, Homer, Lisa,” he told the publication.

Excited about the Sherlock-Simpsons mashup? Sound off in the comments!

1. Just. Brilliant. — from Sherlock, Star Trek villain, to animated Simpsons character – Benedict can do it all! And bully for him, for wanting to!

2. Gilda says:

That’s such an amusing story. I really love him, he’s so talented.

3. Kim says:

Great! He has done many different characters in audio books and radio shows. This is going to be good fun. So looking forward to it!

4. Sue says:

He was so adorable and shy, asking for the chance to do it. God, I love him.

5. Jess says:

Am I the only one who thinks he looks like the guy who played Daniel on Ugly Betty if he was hit by a Mac truck?

6. mary says:

How come no one has yet mentioned his great voice? Looks and charm aside (which he has a surplus of both…), he has a voice made for voiceovers. Close your eyes and listen to his voice. It’s amazing…

7. A little Smaug, a little Necromancer, a bit of Prime Minister and a snake. Benedict is such a versatile guy you can’t help but love him.

8. Wow, The Batch as prime minister…

9. Lee says:

So glad for him; he so clearly loves what he does and he is just so bloody good at it and he plays in every medium – stage, tv, movies, radio, animated – lovely man.

10. Aidan Williams says:

Sounds interesting cant wait to see the episode.

11. Michelle says:

I will be watching The Simpsons for the first time in at least 20 years just to see/hear Benedict. Love that man.

12. Beebus says:

Since he has a voice that could get women pregnant, this is great news!

13. He’s got a whole background of doing voices from Cabin Pressure to Jag commercials and audiobooks. The man is fantastic. Go Go Benedict.

14. Barb says:

What Ben looks like helps make it possible for him to do many different roles. As someone who worked with him said he can look older, or younger or handsome, or sometimes not as handsome. We all see how someone looks but would hate to think for anyone to only make that the only thing that they look for or what is important to them in beyond shallow.
    Ben is a great actor and loves what he does and works very hard to do the best he can.
    Other actors appreciate that. Pictures don’t do him justice – unless they are extreme close-ups and they are stunning.

15. Ellie says:

I’ve made the loudest, strangest noise. My favorite show and my favorite actor, I’m in heaven

16. JP says:

Can’t wait to see him get that classic yellow tinge!

He could read me the phone book and I’d be happy; his voice is that mellifluous.

17. Drogonigon says:

I find him to be the so strange looking; he’s kind of featureless. It’s kinda creepy. That being said, I think he’s an awesome actor.

• EMMN says:

I find him so beautiful and incredibly attractive, but you are at least right about one thing, he’s an awesome actor, one of the finest.

• jess says:

I agree that he’s not what many people would call “classically handsome” like George Clooney or “pretty boy” like Chace Crawford, but he is an attractive package when you look at all the aspects.

• LadyB says:

Handsome is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. I like his appearance, but he consistently proves that he much more than a pretty face. He’s very talented, and clearly not afraid to take on a range of projects, from Shakespeare to the Simpsons. :)

18. guest says:

I truly think he;s the greatest actor in the world.

19. LadyB says:

Benedict Cumberbatch and “the Simpsons”… what a fantastic combination! I will definitely tune in to see the result. He is brilliant.

20. M says:

More Cumberbatch on my telly this side of the pond is a godsend. Thank you TV Gods!

21. marajade says:

Great news. He’s got a gorgeous voice. I can’t wait!

22. yvonne musa says:

Just love the simpsons

23. hosting says:

Today, I went towards the seaside front with my children. I discovered a sea shell and gave it to my four yr previous daughter and stated “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She place the shell toher ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.She by no means wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to inform somebody!