True Blood Recap: Return of the King

In Sunday’s “Let’s Boot and Rally” episode of True Blood, Sookie reunited with Eric. And Bill. But not that way. Rather, she teamed up with her exes as well as Alcide – her current, um… “beau,” shall we call him? – to track down Russell. The clock was ticking, too, as Salome ordered the vamps iStaked at dawn if their mission was unsuccessful. Of course, that was just one of the 204 stories unfolding. Among the highlights of the others:

TARA AND JESSICA BECAME BFFs | Well, briefly. After Pam dressed her progeny in the finest gladrags this side of RuPaul’s Drag Race and put her to work as Fangtasia’s new bartender, Jessica gave the new vamp the “It gets better speech” (word for word, no less) and suggested they be besties. Unfortunately, they never got around to braiding one another’s hair, because the redhead flipped upon catching her gal pal feeding on her ex, Emo Hoyt.

JESUS GAVE LAFAYETTE “HEAD” | Understandably freaked out by the return of his scary brujo alter ego, Lafayette pleaded with Jesus for guidance. What he received instead was a vision of his late lover as a disembodied head with its lips stitched shut. Though this only further upset Lafayette, his nutjob mother – who, for reasons unknown, saw the same thing – seemed to understand and promised to deliver Jesus’ message.

ELLER WENT UP IN SMOKE | When the veteran explained that he’d seen a fire monster kill Kessler, Terry admitted that he, too, had glimpsed it, after they’d murdered a civilian to cover up their war crimes. “Poppycock!” said Patrick (not literally) only moments before Eller was burned to a crisp by the aforementioned fire monster (played, more or less, by the smoke monster from Lost).

SAM AND LUNA WERE GUNNED DOWN | After reporting the murders of his shifter pals to Andy, Sam ran to tell Luna. “Who could have done this?” they wondered… right before the gang that did it shot Sam and – it looked mighty fatally – Luna. Thankfully, Little Emma escaped unharmed by turning into wolf Benji and making tracks.

RUSSELL ROSE FROM THE ASHES | Once Sookie and Alcide’s attempt at having sex was interrupted – first by her puking and then by her exes – the clairvoyant helped Eric and Bill in their efforts to locate Russell by reading the mind of Alcide’s employee. A woman dug up the former king, the fairy learned. And not just any woman but a woman wearing an Authority necklace! Bill jumped to the conclusion that Nora, aka Not Kate Beckinsale, betrayed Eric. (The rest of us, I suspect, jumped to the conclusion that Salome betrayed Roman.) In any case, their search eventually lead them to Russell, whose drawl was back to 110 percent, even if the rest of him wasn’t quite. But, bedridden or not, that didn’t stop him from – it appeared – getting the drop on his would-be assassins. More on that, presumably, next week…

So, your thoughts? Glad Russell’s back in action? What was up with Jessica’s (over)reaction to Tara putting the bite on Emo Hoyt? Do you think Nora dug up Russell, or Salome? (Or was it Barb from Cougar Town?) Sound off below!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Andrew Doehrman says:

I DEFINITELY thought it was Salome who unearthed Russell!

• Suz says:

Agreed.

Problem with tonight’s show was too much jumping between stories. I wish they would stick with each for 10-15minutes vs changing (seemingly) every 2.

Also lose the Terry story or get to the supers!

• Sophie says:

There are far too many story lines right now. You settle into one and before you know it, there are 4 more to consider. So far this season it’s been like True Blood:ADHD.

• daviduter says:

TB is one hot cluster **** of a mess again. Way too many story lines and the absurdity level is getting higher every season. I don’t read the books – but for TV, maybe this show was a one season wonder. Only watching out of habit now.

2. tvaddict says:

I am so over Lafayette’s weird demon story line and also the smoke monster one too. I loved all the Jessica/Tara/Pam scenes tonight. And I am so Team Jessica just because Tara annoys me and I have thought for such a long time that Jessica and Pam are 2 of the best (and underused) characters on the show. Also I love Andy’s line about using “fairy” as a homophobic comment.

3. sladewilson says:

Tara vs Jessica was hot but I’m hoping they patch it up and bond again. I got a weird feeling business is about to pick up (esp. since HBO is practically screaming they flip the series on it’s ear starting next episode. I hope it’s not just hype…

4. ashley says:

definitely Barb from Cougar Town.

5. Isabelle says:

I think its Salome too even though its very obvious shes hiding something. I loved when Sookie threw up and we got that classic Eric one liner, him and Bill standing at the doorway was priceless and had to rewind and see it again. The only thing that really bugged me was how short this episode was and how they dragged out revealing Russell the great. I was on the edge of my seat and cant wait for next week which is also my birthday. New true blood, what more could a girl ask for? Hmm maybe a vampire burrito.

6. Shein Die says:

I miss Season 1 and the way the characters drew you in with their humour, sass, sexy ways and a really interesting storyline … It was totally enjoyable and so much fun!!!… not now :(

• morrow2910 says:

Agree 100%

• M! says:

It’s funny you would say that…Last night after the first 15 mintutes I was telling myself:”Thank God, they’re back to the funny/bitchy/hilarious style we got in the first season”

• Michael says:

This season has been slow for me but last night and, by the looks of it, next week seem to getting back to what makes True Blood such a great show.

7. This season is just a mess and so easy to see whats coming,Salome will be the one to have buried Russell out.

As soon as Hoyt flirted with Tara,you already knew Tara & Jessica were bond to clash.

I am getting into Terry story even though every one else hates it.

Jason is so useless this season poor guy and Andy sure is naked a lot this season.

More Pam,Jessica,and Tara scene together.

8. Brenna says:

finallly some eric/sookie/bill scenes (with alcide as a bonus!). yes too much flipping from one story to the next, its getting beyond annoying any more. cant wait to see what russell has in store for the vamps, wish this storyline had more time dedicated to it.

9. S says:

This was a great episode! I can’t wait until next weeks episode because it looks like it will be even better. I just loved seeing Sookie sharing scenes with Eric and Bill again finally and they were so funny too. I thought Sam’s story got a lot more interesting but still wish he was on more. I’m still loving vampire Tara but don’t understand why anyone needs to be team anyone? especially on Jessica cause last I checked she broke up with Hoyt and did his bff am I wrong? … Tara can drink whoever she wants unless Pam says other wise lol

10. Lisa says:

Season1 was and will always be the best, it somewhat followed the book. The show is now ridiculous. Horrible writing.

11. Truefan says:

Eric and Pam are my favorites. At last Tara has a better role. She was so obnoxious I was hoping they’d send her to New Orleans permanently. Don’t think Alcide is a very good actor. And he and Sookie after Eric and Sookie? Pul-leeze!
    Series started off well but now are beginning to have too many story lines …some boring.

12. BrianR says:

So they go into the haunted psyco hospital unarmed with only fangs, teeth and microwave hands. Come on Bill get some auto weapons with the wood/silver bullets at least.

13. Lia says:

Def Barb!!

14. rod says:

Where is Rev Newlyn ?? He´s been MIA for 2 eps already, he´s so much fun to watch. The Terry storyline is slowly growing on me specially after seeing the smoke monster, and i hope the tara/jessica relationship keeps on going after today´s ep

15. A says:

I’m loving Vampire Tara and her interactions with Pam and Jessica. And finally Denis O’Hare is back. Can’t wait to see Russell Edgington in action!

Also, I’m so over Terry’s storyline and as much as I like Scott Foley this storyline just seems like a casting stunt and a way to give Terry something to do in the show. Same goes for any scene involving Andy and the witch–useless and boring.

16. I think it is Salmone who freed Russel Edgington. Salmone is at least 2,000 yrs old also..And is one of the oldest Vamps besides Russel (not sure how old Roman is) Thus my theory is that Russel is Salmones maker.
    I was correct about Hoyt he is a vamper now..Selling his blood to vampires in exchange for sexual favors both male and female.
    I wish we’d see more of the All American gay Reverend Steve Newland this season instead of the Terry Iraq war nonsense..

• Calvin – Steve Newland is NOT gay! Please! He is a god fearing Pastor of the Fellowship of the Sun! He has a wife..Hello! Did you forget ie season 3 I think it was. Also I doubt it is Salmone who dug up Russel she is a strict member of the Authority..it is clear it was Norah (who has already been discovered as being a turncoat) Also Hoyt is NOT selling his blood to men..I think Hoyt is strait as they come.I know your gay Calvin cause I read some of your post on the WetPaint TB forum, but please stop your nonsence by calling everyone gay.. Steve Newland is as strait as an arrow and a family man Pastor of a god fearing church. And Hoyt is hardly gay. Stop posting all your pro-gay stuff here or I will report you to this sites administrator.
      John

• John- Yes I am openly gay, and so what? 5% of all Americans are gay..get over it! Also TB has many gays and bis on the show. This show I feel is very open towards the gay community and thats what makes it a great show. Look Lafayette is gay, Jesus was gay, Pam and Tara are Bi, Russel (and Talbot) are gay.. And Steve Newland is gay, he came out of the closet the 1st episode this season and told Jason he loved him? Did you miss that? And Hoyt is a bi sexual. Look at his outfit. I have been gay for 12 years “openly” and the gothic outfit is worn by gay men at some bars I have been to. Thus it is clear Hoyt is selling his blood to MALES and FEMALES in exchange for sex.
        Go Ahead and report me here..I did nothing wrong, and said nothing wrong. If the site Admin is upset cause I’m gay..then he should not watch the show True Blood because their are many main characters who are gay or Bi..Nuff said

• Elizabeth says:

You did watch the episode where Steve Newlin came onto Jason and admitted to being gay right?

• Elizabeth, ive seen every episode this season I dont remember when Steve came onto Jason and said he is now gay. I know Steve is a Vampire now, But he is not gay.. I have not seen where he admitted to being gay. I seen he is now a member of the Authority and is taking over the spokesman job.
          Calvin you are speculating on Hoyt, again show me what episode he was with a man making love? If you cant find it (Like you cant find where Steve Newland said he was gay) then stop posting nonsense speculation.

• wordsmith says:

I agree with you that Hoyt is mostly speculation at this point, but I think you owe Calvin an apology for all of the accusations and vitriol you’ve thrown his way.

• Andrea says:

Steve came out in the first episode of the season. He said it loud and clear: he is a gay vampire. And he told Jason that he love him.
            And on the second (or third – I can’t remember) episode Steve went to Jess to “buy” Jason for 20 000 Dollar from her.
            True Blood has a lot of gay characters. And even though I’m straight – I love this about the show. And I love the twists and turns – like the character of Steven.

• Toulouse says:

WOW john claymore you’re ridiculously oblivious if you missed the fact that STEVE IS GAY. it’s so sad people like you have driver’s licenses, the right to vote, kids.. the list could go on!

• rachel. says:

yeah…go back and watch the first episode again. Steve Newlin=hot for Jason.

• Sophie says:

This is hysterical. John, are you sure you’re not winking as you write each of these posts? The producer, sometimes writer and director, of TB is Alan Ball, one of the most openly gay people in the entertainment industry. Remember the movie American Beauty? The classic HBO series, Six Feet Under? There are gay, lesbian, bisexual characters in all of his work. Steve definitely is gay. Hoyt might be. Who really cares? Why are you fighting a 1950s fight in 2012?

• Gale says:

John, sweetie, rewatch the first episode this season. He’s gayer than Christmas.

• Toulouse says:

Look John, you’re absurd. I can’t tell if you’re 15 or mentally handicapped. I never suggested you apologize to Calvin, I don’t give a rat’s butt about wet paint or whatever, and I think you’re a troll for mentioning it on this site, for singling out his homosexual remark, and for not admitting you complete misunderstand this show. I really just don’t even know where to begin with you..

• Toulouse says:

Although I agree that there isn’t any evidence Hoyt’s sexuality has bent towards the boys at all. He just looks “gothic”

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, I think you may have missed some key scenes in the season premiere, John.

• Ruby says:

First of all, it’s NEWLIN, not Newland. Second, are you freaking kidding me with this homophobic crap? Go find yourself a tea party website and leave the sane people alone, k creeper?

• holly says:

Steve is a Gay out vampire in love with Jason.via his own words. It is either Steve’s wife or Salome that found and dug up King Russell. I rather liked last night other than it is moving more slowly than needed and Terry’s story is blah

• Fatin says:

John, I think you should be the one reported. Ignorant, biased jerks like you are what make the internet a bad place.
        At the same time I sincerely hope that was a troll but you seem a little too stupid.

• JBJ says:

John may or may not be gay, but you’re about as childish as they come. Your grasp (or lack thereof) of what is actually going on in the show leads me to believe you are either way too young to be watching (judging by your responses and your attitude and writing style) or too incompetent to understand reality. Go back to the playground where you belong. It is so clear that Newlin was gay back from his beginnings (those who protest THAT much usually are the very thing they are protesting; plus wife pffft. It is called a COVER). Hoyt is probably straight but it is also clear he is experimenting. He may very well be bisexual. He is an immature mama’s boy to say the least. Salome is the most obvious choice to have dug up Russell, and she is easily the real traitor behind the Sanguinista movement. It is so obvious that she used Nora to redirect Roman’s attention and is the brains behind the whole movement. If you have any clue about Salome’s history, this would be a no brainer to you, if you have a brain.

17. S says:

Why would anyone think Hoyt is gay or bi? its called dressing the part. Also just cause they drink his blood doesn’t make him gay/bi either until I see say he’s gay/bi or kiss or have sex with a dude then he’s straight

18. So Steve came out on Episode 1 and said he was gay? I must have missed that or maybe it was a deleted scene? I know Steve wanted to buy Jason for 10,000 dollars, but I thought it was because he wanted Jason back as a member of The Fellowship of the Sun? Jason was a key member of that church when he was active and could help to convince many people about their religion.
    Toulouse – Calvin is obnoxious and I don’t need to apologize to him. He is over on Wet Paint doing stupid comments like he makes here. I have reported him to the admin over at Wet Paint. If Calvin had his way he’d make everyone on True Blood gay or Bi sexual. And i dont need to buy his crap.

• Andrea says:

It’s not a deleted scene. It’s right there. Just watch the first episode again.
      In case of Steve Newlin Calvin is absolutely right.

• Fran says:

John- did you miss a whole episode? Steve Newlin is a vampire now, NOT with the Fellowship of the Sun, and admitted he was gay. I thought all that was pretty clear from the get go.

19. @John it seems you arent all caught up with the episodes of this season…looks like its time to hit up the ol’ dvr and maybe take some notes this time. that should help you avoid the situation of making an ass out of yourself next time…

20. yes…he came out and said “I’m a gay vampire american”… if you happened to miss that part I can see why you would’ve though different because when he was on that christian television program they asked if he had any one special and he said he did, but referred to that person as a female. my guess is that he doesn’t want to come out of the closet on tv. I can see where if you missed the part of him admitting he was gay, how you would be a lil thrown off. there’s so much going on this season its a lil hard for all of us to keep up…

21. Susan Firth says:

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO ALCIDE AT THE END OF THE EP? Did no one else see him being dragged off? No…..we need more Alcide! I know it looks like Salome freed Russel but remember how they led us to believe that Sam killed Gram etc in S1? Heaven help whoever it is when Roman finds out… & why did Sookie puke on Alcide just as he was about to take his pants off? Dumb fairy!,

22. aim says:

Loved the “wonderfalls” homage with Lafayette & the figurines; loved Alcide & Sookie, but poor Alcide he must be blue by now!

23. David says:

Just a point of clarification, Steve Newlin only made an appearance at the end of the premiere, the 2nd episode of the season opened with him coming out as a gay vampire american (to jason only) he didn’t admit it to the world yet.

24. Vampers says:

Does anyone else think Lillith is behind the unearthing of Russell??

25. Shaun says:

Wow,no mention of Luna getting killed….I’m gonna miss her something horrible if she really has died.Her and Sam was probably the most stable relationship on this show.

26. Nahuel says:

I’m so sick and tired of people complaining about this show and soooo many stories! Don’t watch it! Is it too hard to follow more than 2 storylines? Is one better than another? Sure… it’s a TV show and they have to have more than 2 vamps and 1 girl. How is it possible that noone sees character development or how the stories go together, etc?

• Pocket says:

The problem with TB isn’t the multiple story arcs. The problem with TB is there are a bunch of story arcs that don’t go anywhere. I spend a lot of time wondering what the point of some of the arcs are most of the time (and given the context of the fire last season… what is the point of the ifrit this season? is sassy ghost coming back?), they don’t really move the character forward(most of Sam’s shifter plots), and most of the time they just stay the same development wise. Nothing really ties in together at the end, it’s mostly like HEY CHECK OUT THEATER A Over here with Sookie and Alcide… THEATER B with Hoyt, Tara, Jessica, and Auntie Pam. THEATER C the bromance of Bill and Eric… everything weaved together at the end of season 1 and even Season 2… After that it felt like a whole bunch of story lines that had nothing to do with each other outside of the minor interactions of characters that didn’t really help the story line progress outside of pandering.

Or at least that is how I feel about it. I can handle multiple story arcs (love me some Game of Thrones) but there isn’t a feel of cohesiveness with TB. Eventually with GoT you know that there is going to be a huge showdown with the Others. (it’s gonna take a long time to get there… but it’s coming).. where as TB? I really don’t know how everyone would be involved with the sanguinistas or anything like that. I hope I’m wrong and this season does an about face on the story line BS they’ve been trotting along with. Ah well, :) More naked Eric and Alcide will be enough story line for me to keep watching :P

• Nahuel says:

Pocket, ur comment is great and with good foundation. Thing is that they’re things that happen to these people with no need for them to come together.
        I read almost all the book and we don’t have to forget that they’re capturing the spirit of them since they cannot do it exactly bc Sookie is the 100% of them. But as books go on and on many many things start to happen even away from her (mentioned when she meets with all the others). What happens in this episode with Sookie and her just knowing that her like will be like this all the time and what that means is part of all the craziness around her… the thing is that in the first or 2nd season there were not so many things to intertwine. Actually there are so many more things in the books… I know this is a TV show but if u start adapting it u have to continue somehow, in order to be kind of faithful to the story. Another example is the shooting to the sifters… that happens but not exactly in the same way (so far).