Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Parks and Rec Poised to Shoot Premiere On Location in Washington, D.C.

Parks and RecreationParks and Recreation wasn’t kidding about shipping Ben off to the nation’s capital in the Season 4 finale. When the show returns with its fifth season on Sept. 20, there’s a good chance Adam Scott‘s up-and-coming political strategist will literally be in Washington, D.C.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the NBC comedy is looking to shoot scenes on location in D.C. for the premiere and perhaps beyond. Parks‘ leading lady Amy Poehler is also expected to make the trek, presumably so Leslie can help her beau get acclimated to his new city.

RELATED | The Real Story Behind Adam Scott’s Surprising Emmy Decision

It was always Parks‘ EP Michael Schur’s intention to follow through on the finale twist that had Ben accepting a job working for a national campaign, thereby creating another obstacle for him and Leslie.

“We want to make it real,” Schur recently told TVGuide.com. “We don’t want to have it be that in the premiere all of a sudden he’s back. That would be pointless. He’s going to be gone for a while.”

An NBC rep declined to comment for this story.

Comments (17)

• Please tell me thiseans more Kathryn Hahn!

Comment by Sam – July 6, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD. Please tell me they are going to need extras pulled from the community. I am THERE.

Comment by Vatican Cameos – July 6, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever. As long as Ben and Leslie are together through it, then it could be fun. I will miss Ben’s reactions to the Pawnee craziness. I’m sure there will be a lot of D.C. craziness too though.

Comment by Amy – July 6, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a little hesitant. I really disliked the whole Tom E720 arc they did at the start of last season. It just felt clunky. Hopefully they’ll make it smoother this time.

Comment by Ava – July 6, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 wasn’t ‘Parks and Recreation’, but more the Leslie-Ben show+ everyone else. The show faltered a bit because the Ben-Leslie story at the forefront of nearly every episode didn’t allow the rest of the ensemble to really shine like in the past. I’m hoping that shipping Ben away from Pawnee will bring the show back to its roots and imo back at its best. Can’t wait for S5!

Comment by Ann – July 6, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I do love Beslie, I have to agree. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

Comment by Renee – July 6, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would agree that the other characters need more time, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of my favorite couple ever April/Andy… but I hope they don’t ship him off for too long… I really love Ben and Leslie as a couple.

Comment by Florence – July 6, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely agree. I felt like it was the win-Amy-Poehler-an-Emmy season. And I like AP. But the rest of the characters – and the show imo – suffered because of it. Hoping they use the ensemble much more in season 5 and literally give my favorite Chris/Rob Lowe more to do.
      I especially like the combinations of characters Ron/Chris, etc.

Comment by TBMeow – July 7, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The LAST thing Parks and Rec needs is more of Chris/Rob Lowe. What an annoying, obnoxious, all-around horrible character Chris has become. He is now *literally* the worst thing about the show – and by a wide margin. Maybe if Lowe could learn how to make Chris seem like an actual human being instead of a ridiculous cartoon I would be able to tolerate him a lot better. I’m not holding my breath though.

I do love the rest of the characters, however, and even though Ben and Leslie are my favorites, I would be fine with giving everyone else time to shine as well.

Comment by Anna – July 12, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping they would get to do this! I’m so ready for S5. Hope to see more Kathryn Hahn and Paul Rudd too.

Comment by Leah – July 6, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i miss this show so much! come faster, fall!

Comment by Jess – July 6, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    Knope 2012!

Comment by Kelsey Tape – July 7, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am in DC and may very well stalk this shoot!

Comment by Peachy – July 9, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 5 come quicker! Love Parks and Recreation!

Comment by Samantha F. – July 9, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post