Smash Casting News: Leslie Odom Jr. Bumped Up From Recurring to Series Regular

Smash’s Tom is going to have plenty of fodder for love songs in the months ahead, because Leslie Odom Jr. has been boosted to a regular on the NBC series.

Odom’s character, Sam, was introduced as one of Ivy’s dancer pals in the musical drama’s first season but soon became a romantic interest for Christian Borle’s Tom.

RELATED | Smash scoop: Meet Karen’s Spunky New [Spoiler]

Our sister site Deadline.com reported Odom’s promotion Friday.

Odom’s new status is the latest in a flurry of casting activity for Season 2, which will premiere at midseason. The singing soap recently added Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson, Newsies’ phenom Jeremy Jordan, and Broadway players Andy Mientus and Krysta Rodriguez to its ranks and dropped Jamie Cepero (Ellis), Raza Jaffrey (Dev), Brian D’Arcy James (Frank) and Will Chase (Michael).

Odom, whose television credits also include House of Lies, Supernatural and CSI: Miami, recently wrapped a short run of the Broadway musical Leap of Faith.

1. AJ says:

This show is getting cancelled at the end of the season no matter what they do. Train. Wreck.

2. Boo! I really didn’t like this character.

3. TJ says:

Love him bunches, yea!

4. Chloe says:

Oh, good, I like him!

5. Rolfe says:

Hated his character. Their relationship was extremely accelerated. Poor writing. Poor plotting. Tom and the lawyer was much more interesting.

• Margaret says:

maybe his being bumped to a series regular will help them slow down the pacing of the relationship. while they were shooting, leslie was also in a broadway show (which is what jeremy jordan will be doing too). also YAY for wesley taylor (bobby) being reunited with Krysta Rodriguez!! they were lucas & wednesday in the original broadway cast of the Addams family & they’re hilarious together! love it!

6. qeee says:

UGGH. I couldn’t stand this character.

• AJ says:

There aren’t many characters on the show that are likable. Tom is too high strung. Julia or whatever her name was is a cheater. Ellis made me turn the channel. Dev. Meh. I know they have removed a lot of these characters but they are going to have to try and write some likable characters at some point.

• jenna says:

I agree near the end of the season it was like the writers were trying to get the audience to hate every character! Its one thing to have flaws but they need to be likable too!

• Del says:

Perhaps, writers are playing with the rules and trying to keep the audience following the story when every character suddenly becomes .. how they became.

You bring up an interesting point :] However, I believe it is justifiable in terms of the arc of the story reaching it’s climax. It’s easy to understand the different factors of change affecting people when that happens, correct?

• Tess says:

That’ll be tough to do. Theatre people just aren’t likeable. I know. I am theatre people. My whole life is theatre people. You can’t write a show about theatre people and make them likeable any more than you can write a show about mobsters and make them likeable. But you can write a show about a group of people and have the audience love to hate them. “Did he just do that?” “Did she just say that?” “Are people really like that?” Yes. Yes they are.

7. Oh says:

Yawn. More Sam? No thanks.

8. Josh says:

That’s a shame…He was one of the show’s weaker elements and sort of an eye rolling cliche, even though they tried to make him anything but a cliche. “He’s gay and he likes sports!” “He’s gay but he’s drinks BEER!?!” “His family isn’t against him being a dancer but not that he’s gay!” He and Tom have zero chemistry and Sam is just boring. I thought one of the new guys would be a love interest for Tom…Shame because Tom’s awesome but Sam is YAWN…

9. Brandy says:

Don’t really care for the character

10. Viv says:

Yay! I liked Sam almost as much as he likes the Rangers / Bruins / Yankees / Red Sox!

11. Tim Wilson says:

Likeable actor and good singer but Sam is an awful character.This is a big mistake.

I guess we can look forward to Sam and Jennifer Hudson’s character in a gospel number with Karen eventually butting in.

12. Fabricio says:

Him?? I prefer Ellis.

13. Lisa says:

I don’t know if this is a good idea or not but we’ll see where it goes. I don’t like the firing of the guy who played Michael Swift or the hiring of Jennifer Hudson who can’t really act. Plus, bringing in all these new, young pretty people is very OC/GG but is probably too immature to make SMASH work. I guess it’s the downside of hiring a showrunner who knows nothing about Broadway and only makes teeny-bopper trash about wealthy and spoiled young people! I hope they get Karen and Derek together this season in case the new showrunner kills the show! The fans deserve that payoff!

14. Merc says:

Tom was better with the lawyer but every show apparently now needs to be diversified whether it really works for the show or not! As far as I’m concerned, screw political correctness and just give me entertainment!

15. Tara says:

Okay, why Jennifer Hudson? Have her put some weight on and maybe real fans like my niece Amber and I will keep watching. All change isn’t good change…..

16. xDelfin says:

I like Sam. Maybe his character isn’t mind-blowing-ly interesting, but for some reason, that seems real enough! And I’m a huge fan of ‘real’, which is why I can stand a lot of bad qualities in the characters (i.e I’m totally against cheating, but I still love Julia’s character). Maybe they tried so painfully to make Sam un-cliche, but to me it’s all: ‘everything is possible’ and there are people out there like this. That and I love watching gay men… but that’s beside my point :]