Sorry, Charlie: Anger Management Ratings Drop 35 Percent from Record-Setting Premiere

Charlie Sheen‘s Anger Management, which in its double-episode debut set records for a cable comedy premiere and for an FX series launch, understandably dropped in its second week.

Episode 3 of the series on Thursday night drew 3.37 million total viewers, with 1.71 million landing in the coveted 18-49 demo — down 38 and 35 percent, respectively, from last week’s premiere outing.

Perhaps Charlie’s core audience was busy nursing injuries from dopey fireworks mishaps…?

Reminder, if AM meets or maintains certain ratings thresholds, FX has the option to pull the trigger on a 90-episode renewal.

Similarly for the holiday-compromised night, MTV’s Awkward was down 23 percent in its target 12-34 demo, doing a 1.7.

Did you give Charlie a second (or first) chance this week?

1. Esaul says:

Meh. I assumed it wasn’t new this week similar to other network’s scheduling, i.e. ABC Family and USA Network who didn’t air new episodes this week.

• Realitycheck says:

yep but they just want to prove that Charlie Sheen new show fails..it is so obvious and so pathetic..nothing new, medias are trash.

• KevyB says:

What does that mean? What happened happened. You can’t rewrite that. The real question is, Why are YOU making excuses for Charlie Sheen? Did you give birth to him? If you’re not somehow related to him, that’s pretty pathetic.

• suzi says:

The show debuted last week. Why wouldn’t it be a new episode this week, just like all the other cable summer shows are showing new episodes. The ratings were big last week due to curiosity, and they will continue to fall if the show doesn’t improve. IMO, of course.

2. Megan says:

Figures. Whether it be because of the holiday week or what… this show does NOT belong with the likes of Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Louie etc…What was FX thinking?

3. Adam Spratt says:

It should get renewed because its getting double the viewing figures of any other FX show at present, the shows on FX that have been getting renewed the last few years have not even been averaging over 2 million an episode.

4. Adam Spratt says:

I’m just counting the comedies plus I think only Sons of Anarchy gets more in the viewing department.

5. Mack says:

How did Dallas do?

6. Adam Spratt says:

@Mack

Dallas got 3.3 Million I think

7. I like the show. It doesn’t belong on FX though, not edgy enough. Laugh track has got to go.

8. Tara says:

Charlie looks haggard and used up. His spark has gone out. Now he just seems like a has been.

9. Kat says:

It will go down just like Two And a Half Men with Ashton. Week by week. Everybody wanted to see it for once. They did and they don’t care anymore. It’s not like it is some unique and funny show. It’ ORDINARY. Nothing special about it.
    And Charlie Sheen had his 15 minutes of fame. And then when he was finally fired people lost interest. They weren’t interested in him. They were interested if CBS will have the balls to fire Charlie. It’s not like they care about him personally or want to see his movies or show. In few weeks that show will have ordinary ratings. Like if any other actor would play that part.

• Claire says:

whatever the guy had not ’15 minutes’ but a career for 30 years..
      p.s: i liked this episode, will watch again !

10. Gus says:

Matt,how did louie and wilfred do?

• Charles says:

According to TV by the Numbers:

Louie – 1.076 million viewers 0.6 adults 18-49 rating – this week
      2.526 million viewers 1.2 adults 18-49 rating – last week
      Down 57 and 50 percent, respectively.

Wilfred – 1.453 million viewers 0.7 adults 18-49 rating – this week
      2.526 million viewers 1.2 adults 18-49 rating – last week
      Down 42 percent, in both.

11. april-ann says:

Being an huge fan of television, I am gradually growing away from it. TV has evolved so much that it is very hard to “watch” its entire fate still on the dependence of “THE ratings”. Now that is something that has NOT evolved, sadly. I assume that the cutesy terms “drew” whatever “total million viewers”, “demos” and “percentages”, refer to the Almighty Nielsen Ratings. Those are used not for lack of something better, but for lack of ANYTHING else at all. They are bogus. Google it. Biggest racket in television.

• Brooke says:

The word “percentages” is cutesy?

• april-ann says:

No Brooke, the WORD “percentages” by itself is not cutesy. I was referring merely to TERMS used where Neilsen ratings are being discussed (knowing how bogus they are).

• Jake says:

No matter if it’s a racket, networks still go by it

• april-ann says:

Yes Jake, unfortunately they do. There’s no other option (wish there was). You’d think by now with all the technology at our fingertips, there would be a better way. At the very best, this system is sorely inaccurate and very, very flawed.

12. Alex Agostini says:

I watched the 3rd episode on Thursday. And I’ll be watching the 4th next Thursday.

13. viola says:

I thought the third episode was good..I agree people were probably thinking rerun..that’s what I. Thought at first but watched anyways. I want the show to keep going, I think it could go far if given a chance.

• Melissa29 says:

I did not watch this one as I was completely bored with the first two and had taken it off the DVR. I don’t buy it that the ratings went down 35% because “it was a holiday”. I still watched Louie and Wilfred. Next week will be the real test. I would like to know what the rating threshold is for FX to continue with AM.

14. rowan77 says:

Of course the rating dropped the numbers first night were fake numbers. They were look-in numbers. The ratings will continue to go down a little next week as well and then level off into what will be it’s usual ratings. You’ll see.

15. Lisa says:

I think the writing is better on Anger Management than it was on 2 1/2 Men this season.
    The ratings may be higher on 2 1/2 but Chuck Lorre has let that show go down the toilet.

16. daviduter says:

I have enjoyed the show thus far. But if this show fails, it will be b/c of Sheen’s insistence on casting Selma Blair. My lord that chick can NOT act. Its truly difficult to watch.

• Tara says:

ITA. She was dreadful as the goth chick on 2&1/2 and she’s still bad. Same goes for Shawnee Smith [His ex wife]. She is the same as she was on Becker.

17. Stacyh says:

How can they say Anger Management has bad ratings when they double the ratings of the much praised Louis????
    (I love Louis CK, just wondering why the sites make up BS all the time!)

18. Debbie says:

Charlie seems to be trying hard to make this show work. It is truly torture watching Selma Blair. She cannot act, she is unattractive, and is boring. There is absolutely NO chemistry between SB or SS. The casting is bad. I feel bad for Charlie. It’s not his fault. Not that I like bllonds better, but get rid of those other women and get a blond that has chemistry with Charlie.