TVLine Items: Is Seth Meyers Live!'s New Host? Plus, a Fun Beverly Hills, 90210 Reunion and More

Is Seth Meyers the next Regis Philbin?

The Saturday Night Live funnyman is currently the frontrunner to succeed the retired co-host on Live! With Kelly, Showbiz411 reports.

Meyers’ new hosting gig, however, isn’t a done deal just yet. Live! producers are said to have narrowed down the potential-host field to three, with former NFL star Michael Strahan and recording artist Josh Groban also in the running.

All three have showcased their skills opposite Kelly Ripa in recent months, and will likely continue to do so until a new co-host is named for the upcoming season, which begins in September. Meyers begins a five-day hosting stint on Monday, July 9 — the talker’s first week-long fill-in since Neil Patrick Harris late last year.

RELATED | Andy Samberg Confirms SNL Exit, Calls It ‘One of the Hardest Decisions I’ve Ever Made’

Should Live! choose Meyers as Ripa’s permanent partner, the site says he would likely vacate his spot as SNL‘s head writer, but still continue to host the late-night sketch show’s Weekend Update segment.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• NBC is said to be eyeing an all-star edition of Celebrity Apprentice, and past “celeb” participants are coming out in droves to take part in the latest cycle. Per the New York Post, former winners Piers Morgan, Joan Rivers and Bret Michaels are currently in the running to join, as well as “standouts” Gary Busey, Trace Adkins, Jesse James, Omarosa, Gene Simmons, Lennox Lewis, Meat Loaf, Marlee Matlin, Sharon Osbourne, Cyndi Lauper, Marilu Henner and Dennis Rodman.

• Brandon and Kelly and Dylan, oh my! Jennie Garth gave Beverly Hills, 90210 fans a treat on Wednesday when she tweeted this pic of a reunion between the members of West Bev’s most beloved love triangle, as she, Jason Priestley and Luke Perry reportedly shot an Old Navy commercial.

• CBS is pushing back the premiere of its new dating series, 3, by one week to July 29 — presumably in order to avoid any overlap with the Bachelorette finale. (ABC last week announced the shift of its three-hour Bachelorette sendoff to Sunday, July 22, the original debut date for the Eye Network’s romance-centric reality show.)

RELATED | Bachelor Pad Season 3 Cast Announced

• Fox has banished the George Lopez-hosted Take Me Out to Saturday nights at 9/8c, TV Guide Magazine reports.

• Fun (?) fact about Katie Couric: she had a perfect childhood. Hear all about it below in the latest promo for her new ABC talker (premiering Sept. 10), Katie.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. AJ says:

I’ll take Strahan thanks. And that’s coming from a Cowboys fan lol.

• sladewilson says:

I’m a Cowboys fan also and I have to agree. Plus she seems more comfortable with Strahan. I’ve seen her with Myers and she has a good time also but her and Strahan are friends. As for Groban, word is she’s not really a fan. If Anderson Cooper was available, he would’ve smoked it because he was an absolute shoo-in except it took too long to formulate and CNN got wind of his intentions and gave him a show.

• MJR says:

I like Seth Meyers but never realized how much he uses “like” when he talks. It’s really annoying after a while. I don’t know that I could watch him every day. And I love the show.

• carol ciongoli says:

I think Josh G. would be the best, they are very comfortable together. I like Seth M., & Micheal S. but I think Seth & Kelly seem to compete with each other to much. The coast to coast winner was fun, but he would have had to tone it down, silly faces & talking way to much, but that would come with time. For the time being I’m enjoying the different co-hosts, they all add a little something extra to the show. Yes, I also wish Anderson Cooper were available, it would be him hands down.

2. Captain says:

I think Seth Meyers is the only worthwhile choice out of the three

• Darleen Cooke says:

I love Seth Meyers!! I think he would be the best Co-Host for Kelly. I get so excited when I see him on the show. I know i will definitely watch the show if he is on.

3. Jennifer says:

Am I the only one that would like Neil Patrick Harris to be the permanent co host? i love him

• missmiggles says:

I’m with you, NPH is by far the best choice for her co-host. I don’t find Seth Meyers that entertaining.

• KSM says:

He would have to quit HIMYM and he is under contract for at least this year.

• April says:

Yeah, I thought of NPH at first, too, but you’re right. He would be way to busy with HIMYM to do Live. To bad, though. He would have been amazing.

4. Ray says:

Where is Brenda Walsh?

5. Angie says:

Since NPH lives in LA, I don’t think he’s an option at this time, but he would be the most PERFECT permanent co-host. However, out of the 3 – I love Seth Meyers. I REALLY do NOT like Michael Strahan and am ambivlent towards Groban. Would also like to see Nick Lachey in the co-host seat.

6. missy says:

I love Neil Patrick Harris as the co-host, but I think he has said that he can’t move to NY permanently. I will take nearly anyone other than Strahan. I don’t TIVO or watch live when co-host. I just dont find him entertaining and Kelli has to carry the whole show when he and Carrie Ann are co-hosting. I have not seen Seth, so I look forward to seeing him next week. Also, I am hoping Carrie Ann is not in the running. I have the “sick of sees” with her too. I am sick of seeing her.

7. Tricia says:

I wonder what this would mean for his role on SNL. I’m sure it’s possible to do both, but when would he sleep?

• Amy says:

“Should Live! choose Meyers as Ripa’s permanent partner, the site says he would likely vacate his spot as SNL‘s head writer, but still continue to host the late-night sketch show’s Weekend Update segment.” – article above

It would be easy to do both. An hour a day Monday-Friday, 10-15 minutes Saturday night.

8. Marc says:

Not only does NPH live in L.A., How I Met Your Mother is filmed there as well. So it would be impossible for him to fly back and forth to do both jobs (he’s got one season left on his current HIMYM contract.)

9. Seth or Josh Groban would be amazing.

10. Brendan says:

The should move the show to LA so NPH can be the permanent co-host… he’s the only good choice.

11. Josh says:

Both NPH and Seth Myers should aim higher.

• Stefany says:

^^^THIS! ABSOLUTELY! Both of these guys are way too talented, and currently have more rewarding (as well as higher profile) gigs to seriously consider a lame, 20+ year old morning talk-fest with a nice but bubble-headed airbag making the most of her limited gifts.

• patricia says:

agreed!

12. CJ says:

I have loved it whenever Seth Meyers has co-hosted. Not someone I would necessarily have thought of for the job, but having seen that he can do it, I think he would be a good choice.

13. Mark says:

If it’s Josh Groban, I’ll no longer watch. I can’t stand the guy.

14. evelyn says:

so what kelly acts like a jerk when their is a cohostand she shows bad habit to kids like drinking and smoking

15. The Mf'n Batman says:

Strahan is the only one I can stand for any period of time. I can’t stand the others mentioned at all.

16. Lyn says:

Would LOVE to see Seth M. as the next Regis — as long as he promises to exit Saturday Night Live and give someone funny a chance!

17. Babybop says:

I watch the beginning of the show every morning before school, and I have to say I’m a fan of all three. Personally, I would like to see Josh Groban take the spot! But we’ll see how Seth does hosting the whole week.

18. Dee says:

Seth definitely cause he sucks as Head Writer over on SNL so if this gets him out the door then I’m all for it!!

19. kate says:

wow, this might be the most obnoxious combination of hosts ever. all it ensures is that I will tune into Live even less frequently.

20. Nancy says:

If Seth gets it, I’m gone. I have already given up on The View and Rachael Ray, what’s one more.

21. Bob Lozano says:

Seems like a short-sighted short list to me. Didn’t Kelly once say that she wanted Anderson Cooper as her cohost?

• Amy says:

Anderson Cooper already has AC 360 and a daytime talk show (Anderson). Love the guy, but don’t think he needs a third show.

22. Lauren says:

Never was a boy band fan but I grew to love watching Nick Lachrymose co-host. And, funny enough, my 55 year old mother enjoyed him equally, which I think says something about his appeal. I’m bummed he isn’t in the running.

23. arial2 says:

Seth Meyers: what an inspired choice! Hope he gets the job. Similar humor to Regis, and I think that’s what made Regis and Kelly a wonderful duo.

24. Ethel says:

I would have chosen Anderson Cooper first if he was available but I have always enjoyed weekend update with Seth on SNL. In my area, this overlaps with the Today show but after the mess NBC made last week with Ann Curry, I might be changing the channel. Sadly, I can’t stand Kelly but if she has a great co-host, might be worth checking out.

25. aunt_deen says:

Love Seth Meyers.

26. tim says:

Josh Groban is absolutely amazing, I don’t really like michael. Seth would be good too.

27. cj says:

i’m not well educated on this matter, which is to say, i’ve only seen VERY BRIEF segments of seth meyers as co-host, but on the one hand it would be very revolutionary to hire michael strahan. as much as we’d like to think it’s not a factor & shouldn’t matter, a black co-host would be a big deal. seth meyer’s role as SNL head writer would be in question, and i would wonder who would take over. i dont know much about josh groban as host but he and seth meyers seems to fit generally the same mold when it comes to skinny white guys. i dont know. i just dont know. but i wish the best to whoever ends up getting the job. and i know kelly will delicately and expertly cradle them into the gig, just as regis likely did when kelly was new. the only complicating factor is that kelly was a relative unknown. all these guys are VERY WELL KNOWN.

28. MGL says:

Love seeing Jennie and Luke!

• Mary says:

I agree either one of these guys would of been perfect, I knew NPH was out of the question due to the fact he lives if LA but I thought they should of offered Anderson the job before he started his talk show. I like Michael better than Seth but either one would be okay.

29. coalways says:

NPH and or Anderson Cooper.. NPH and David might want to move back to NYC. Anderson Cooper and Kelly are magic together. Too bad his stupid talk show is doing well.

30. Leo says:

Josh and Kelly are great together, and I’m a huge fan of his. Because of that, I want him to stay releasing more music and touring, and I don’t think that would go well with him having to stay in one place to the show.
    Seth is funny, not that great on the interviews but he will be a nice pick for the job, so he’s my choice.

31. Jennifer says:

These are my top 3 choices so any of them are fine with me. I just started watching this show when Josh cohosted (Love him!) and have watched ever since. I never saw the show when Regis was on. Can’t stand him. I will have to say that out of the 3 I’m leaning towards Michael the most. He seems to have the most chemistry with Kelly and is funny. I would love to see Josh every day, but I want him to continue his music and touring and I don’t see how he could do that with a full time gig like this.

32. tom says:

the question is why would seth give up SNL which would seem to be more creative and more money.

33. Laura says:

Of the three mentioned, I like Seth the best. He is good at storytelling, is witty, and quick on his feet. He is also very intelligent and up on current events. They would be smart to snag him. He is a catch.

34. Monique says:

Seth Meyers brings a younger crowd to the audience, the show has to revamp now that Regis is gone. Seth is the only funny of the 3. Too bad they can’t get Jerry Seinfeld or Martin Short would also be good.

35. Eric says:

Nick Lachey or Neil Patrick Harris for Kelly’s Co-host. No disrepect to the other men, but it would be nice to have someone really good looking to look at in the mornings. I’m just saying. :)

36. Tom says:

Strahan’s great, but I think Seth would be the best choice for this job.

37. Cathy says:

I didn’t know who Michael Strahan really was until I saw him on Live with Kelly; he seemed to really enjoy himself, and she was blushing when he was supposed to smell her cologne. He was adorable. Seth is good, but I think I’d like to see Michael do it.

38. Jess says:

Add me to the Nick Lachey club!

39. sladewilson says:

Forget NPH and Anderson Cooper. As I stated above, Anderson wanted to do it but he got his own show. NO WAY is NPH leaving HIMYM for Live with Kelly. NO FREAKING WAY. It wouldn’t be a step down, it would be akin to falling off the Empire State Building, career wise. I don’t even see Myers doing it full time unless he can do SNL also (which is possible since they’re both based in NY shows) and he gets a ton of money. I still think Strahan’s the best choice…

40. My life for that commercial with Jennie Garth, Jason Priestley and Luke Perry… I don’t live in the US… Someone NEEDS to keep me updated to look it up. Or else I’ll DIE! I was/am such a BH90210 fan girl. It’s on my top 2 favorite tv shows ever! <3

41. I know he can’t but I would LOVE for it to be NPH! But out of those three my favorite is Josh! I love when he’s on.

42. lll says:

Nick Lachey or Michael Strahan are the ones Kelly feels the most comfortable with so it should be one of them. Josh Groban would be an odd choice but Kelly can work with him. Kelly doesn’t seem like she gets along with Seth Myers (dead chemistry and tons of tension) but he makes a good host. I wouldn’t be surprised if the executives pick him to stick it to Kelly somehow.

43. Well they listed two of my three top choices….while I love Josh Groban and Kelly (and Neil Patrick Harris), I think that the third choice should be Joel McKay. Just my opinion.

44. Discovered your article really remarkable in fact. I seriously enjoyed reading it and you simply make quite some great points. I am going to bookmark this web-site for that foreseeable future! Relly excellent write-up.