Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Wake Up! Once Upon a Time Has Cast Sarah Bolger as Sleeping Beauty

Irish beauty Sarah Bolger shall also be a Sleeping Beauty, on ABC’s Once Upon a Time.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Bolger’s recurring character, Princess Aurora, will be introduced during the sophomore run of Once, which was last season’s highest-rated freshman drama. The fantastical series will again air Sundays at 8/7c; ABC has not yet announced their fall premiere dates.

RELATED | Exclusive First Look: Once Upon a Time‘s Most Enchanting Comic-Con Poster

Given Aurora’s backstory — namely, how she was cursed by Maleficent to die (or thanks to a fairy guardian, only fall into a very deep sleep) from a finger prick on a spinning wheel — one has to wonder if we have not seen the last of True Blood‘s Kristin Bauer van Straten in the fairytale land that was.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Promotes Meghan Ory (Ruby) and Emilie de Ravin (Belle) to Series Regulars

The 21-year-old Bolger’s credits include Showtime’s The Tudors (where she collected an Irish Film and Television Award for her portrayal of Mary) and the 2002 film In America, for which she earned an Independent Spirit Award nomination among other nods.

Comments (63)

• Love her!

Comment by Lucia – July 5, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I gave up on Once upon a Time already, but that wasa great casting call anyway

Comment by whimsical – July 7, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What she doesn’t even have golden blonde/ caramel hair….

Comment by Ariel – November 13, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait!! I love OUAT and Sarah!!

Comment by Tracy Haven (@MrsDexterHaven) – July 5, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Great news, I loved her in Tudors, such a talented young actress! Can’t wait to have her back on my screen :)

Comment by Angelique – July 5, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is excellent news. She’s really talented.

Comment by Mairead (@Mayiread) – July 5, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. I admit that I’m more excited about the fact that this means we’ll see K. Bauer van Straten as Maleficent again though.

Comment by Dani – July 5, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s pretty. I don’t know her, but I’m fine with this.

Comment by Captain – July 5, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dislike Mulan but I love to see Aurora.
    Anyway, I hope they don’t forget the main characters, Rumpel, Regina, Snow, Charming and Emma

Comment by veronic – July 5, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe the little girl from In America is 21, wow. She was so good in that.

Comment by Viv – July 5, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh, she is so perfect for Aurora!

Comment by hannah – July 5, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s very pretty. She’ll make a great Sleeping Beauty

Comment by Laurie – July 5, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s lovely. Well done OUAT. Glad to know that Maleficent will rise from the ashes, too.

Comment by Templar – July 5, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know if it’s confirmation that Maleficent is not dead yet. She’ll appear in the fairytale story of course, but in Storybrooke Aurora’s antagonist could be Regina or Rumple if they don’t want to bring Maleficent back to life or if they can’t get Kristin on a recurring basis. I do hope they can work around Kristin’s schedule and we’ll get to see Maleficent in Storybrooke though.

Comment by Jamie – July 5, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Tudors…that’s how I know her name. Couldn’t figure it out until you said. She did a good job on that show.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 5, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AH!! Sarah is one of my favorite actresses and Aurora is my favorite princess. ABSOLUTELY thrilled to have this combination. OUAT just keeps getting better and better every time there is new news out.

Comment by Amanda – July 5, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved her on The Tudors!!

Comment by Eliza – July 5, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. More excited for Mulan.

Comment by Dee – July 5, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jamie Chung has been cast as Mulan, it seems.

Comment by ben – July 5, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ooh good, i really like jamie chung!

Comment by lauren – July 6, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m happy that my fav princess will appear, I hope we get more focus on the main cast since I’ve grown very attached to them.

Comment by Brenna – July 5, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her!!! I always thought they should have continued tudors with her in the lead. She will make a great addition to ouat!

Comment by Amanda – July 5, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even watch this show and I think this is great news. Sarah’s super talented and so beautiful. She’ll be a great addition :)

Comment by kate – July 5, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved her on the tudors, but this news raises so many questions.

1. isn’t she a series regular on gilded lillys?
    2. I know many Game of Thrones fans (myself included) are hoping she’s been cast as Meera Reed. I wonder if this is a definitive no to our “dream casting” if so, darn! but i’m looking forward to see her on Once.

Comment by Jess – July 5, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know about Gilded Lillys, but on OUAT she’s supposed to play a recurring character. They introduced Cinderella as another recurring princess character last season and she showed up in 2 or 3 episodes. If they’re planning to spent a similar amount of episodes on Aurora and Mulan each, it should easily be possibly for both actresses to work on other projects.

Comment by Dani – July 5, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gilded Lily’s didn’t get picked up

Comment by Josh – July 5, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gilded Lilys was not picked up to series.

Comment by Vlada Gelman – July 5, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thanks for the clarification. I hope she can be on both Once and GoT! :)

Comment by jess – July 6, 2012 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where did you hear that rumor about Meera Reed? I love that rumor! She was phenomenal on The Tudors. She’d be great in GoT. Glad she’s on Once. Interested to see how they treat Prince Phillip. He actually had way more crap to do than Charming or Cinderella’s prince in the animated Disney version of the story- and had way more screen time.

Comment by Alex – July 6, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention he is one of the more competent princes. All the Charmings had to do was dance and kiss. Eric has to be rescued… twice. Princes are a lazy do nothing lot for the most part. Except Phillip who is the best Prince and Aurora is my favorite princess.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – July 6, 2012 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at the picture of Sarah Bolger resembles a grown up Suri Cruise don’t you think?

Comment by Ali – July 5, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh I remember her as Sabina from Stormbreaker…wow

Comment by This – July 5, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where are the news that they are doing mulan??????

Comment by luli – July 5, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I’ve never seen in her in anything but I can picture her as Aurora, I wonder if she’ll be blonde or not? I am so ready for this show to come back, hopefully Comic-Con will help ease my withdrawal symptoms :D

Comment by Addie – July 5, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t really seen anything with her in it. But she is beautiful.

Comment by Aaron Tily – July 5, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! Love this news, Sarah is amazing! Sad Gilded Lilies didn’t get picked up, though…but maybe this means she’ll get cast in Game of Thrones now as well! :)

Comment by bookworm87 – July 5, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this means that there is a possibility for Kristin Bauer to return as Maleficent than I am fine with this.

Comment by A – July 5, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have definitely got to give Once Upon a Time another go-round. I watched the first two episodes, thought it was good but doubted it would last so quit watching before I got attached. Hopefully there’s repeats this summer so I can catch up.

Comment by Ally – July 5, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the first couple of episodes was rough, and I thought Jennifer Morrison’s acting was overly dramatic. But either it improved, or I got more used to it (lol) but I do enjoy the later parts of the season more.

Comment by jess – July 6, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hulu.com or even ABC.com has all the episodes.

Comment by Nyms – October 25, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think Rumple is going to play a big part in her fairy tale land story? Spinning wheels are kinda important in both stories (SB gets pricked by one, Rumple spins gold from one, etc). Just makes me even more excited for the show to come back! Yay!

Comment by Shannon – July 5, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will she have blonde hair on the show? It needs to be blonde. And it needs to look good. No cheap-looking wig.

Comment by Aurora – July 5, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Sleeping Beauty has no business being a brunette.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – July 5, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can I ask why she needs to be blonde?

Comment by Autumn – July 5, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I assume because she was in the movie.

Comment by Eleni – July 5, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I figured that’s where this concept is coming from, but to be so adamant on a hair color that Disney came up with seems amusing. I’m more concerned on how she acts in the role.

Comment by Autumn – July 5, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Being that they call Aurora, Sleeping “Beauty”, her appearance would be quite significant. Therefore having her as a blonde would make her a more believable Aurora. Having her as a brunette would just be weird. It might be like having two Belles.
            And why would OUAT even want to deviate from appearance when they have been spot on with the appearance of other Disney princes they portrayed such as Belle and Cinderella.

Comment by A – July 5, 2012 07:15 PM PDT
          • Well, I am sure the hope is that by the time she starts shooting, science will have developed a way for a woman to alter her hair color. I mean, we have put a man on the Moon.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 5, 2012 07:39 PM PDT
          • The fact they sent Emilie’s hair brunette (something that still looks odd to me after Lost) is a good indication that they will make Sarah blonde.

Comment by ben – July 5, 2012 07:40 PM PDT
          • The reason I want her to be blonde is because her name is Aurora because she brought the light into her parents life and the fairy godmothers bless her with Golden hair at her birth because of her name. Hence the need for blonde hair if her name is going to be Aurora and they are following the Disney roots.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – July 6, 2012 11:21 PM PDT
          • I know right? It’s the acting that counts. Sarah is a great actress, especially with these types of roles. The Disney-fied version of Aurora is blonde, but who says the producers are going off of that version?

Comment by Emeline – September 19, 2012 09:34 AM PDT
    • If they can give Emilia Clarke snow-white Targaryean locks, I’m sure the technology exists to get Sarah’s hair the appropriate shade of blonde.

Comment by Alex – July 6, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m more excited to see the Ariel/Little Mermaid story they hinted in the past…

Comment by James – July 5, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bolger will be a great addition to Once. She was so good on the Tudors as Mary. She held her own with everyone on that show.

Comment by Nathan – July 5, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love all the fairytales but there are so many of them, I am getting worried that we won’t see enough of the season one regulars and recurrings. I loved all the season one characters but it felt like we didn’t spend enough time with red, belle, granny, gepatto, hatter, david anders, grumpy, the other dwarfs and archie. I’m getting worried it will get too crowded.

Comment by JoshJacksonasBaelfireonOUAT – July 6, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • never heard of her, but she does seem to have a Sleeping Beauty quality to her in that she looks as if she could have had a very deep sleep recently

Comment by Juan – July 6, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw her in the moth diaries and to be honest she actually reminded me of Snow White rather than Princess Aurora! Oh well, but I am very excited anyway!

Now who should play her Prince Phillip…? ^_-

Comment by Alice – July 6, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laughing at Matt’s man on the moon comment

Comment by Trina – July 6, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I love her! She’ls going to be a great addition to the show!

Comment by Heather (@LightningHat07) – July 6, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how they’re going to tie Maleficent’s story to Sleeping Beauty. Emma just recently killed Maleficent in Storybrooke. Does this mean Prince Philip doesn’t get to kill Maleficent in the fairytale land?

Comment by Iching – July 7, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they dy her hair cause sleeping Beauty was blond.

Comment by Brandy – July 9, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was amazing as Aurora and i think basing on 2X03 we see her with a dagger, people have lots of strength not just kicking and screaming, Aurora was more outspoken and I love her

Comment by Minerv – October 7, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I love the actress but think it was poor casting since she isn’t blonde. Not all princesses have to be brunettes. Bad call.

Comment by linz – November 12, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post