Grey's Vs. Smash! Community Vs. HIMYM! It's Day 9 in Our Battle of the TV Bad Boys!

Nobody said a bad boy can’t make you laugh, and certainly Day 9 of our TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament is proof positive.

Yes, folks, today we’ve got Alex Karev of Grey’s Anatomy battling Derek Wills of Smash, and Jeff Winger from Community taking on Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother.

RELATED | Heroes Vs. Smallville! Once Upon a Time Vs. BSG! Bad Boys Day 7 Goes Out of This World!

Every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (45)

• Jeff vs. Barney? Not cool.

Comment by Clay – July 3, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I CAN’T DECIDE. *explodes*

Comment by Ace – July 3, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! It’s too tough of a decision…

Comment by Babybop – July 3, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not cool. Not cool. Not cool.

Comment by ryanandhobbes – July 3, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ha! I see what you did there

Comment by ddutchie88 – July 4, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Umm easy….Jeff Winger.

Comment by MariaPompeo – July 3, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. Barney is horny, but hardly a bad boy.

Comment by tripoli – July 3, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree, besides – I find HIMYM extremely lame and not funny at all. x_x

Comment by Vetle – July 4, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Course, to be fair, I’ve never seen “How I Met Your Mother”. And much respect for Neil Patrick Harris as an actor and person, he’s cool, no doubt about that.
        But I’ve had a crush on Joel McHale for a number of years now and love his smart-@ss Jeff Winger character. So, yeah, no contest :p.

Comment by Angela – July 4, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arrgghhhh. Cannot. Make. Decision. Jeff and Barney are both insanely awesome!!!! Why must they be pitted against each other THIS EARLY???

Comment by Serena – July 3, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not cool at all, they should be the finalists.

Comment by Tara Green (@Tarasoleil) – July 4, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex!! He always was and is my favorite Grey’s character!

Comment by Niki – July 3, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Alex. he is the only character i still care about (after lexie died). i want to see him happy.

Comment by rebecca – July 3, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community vs HIMYM in the first round?

Why must you hurt me in this way?

Comment by Andy – July 3, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Lucy – July 3, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally uncool. I voted for Jeff, but I had to think about it for a minute.

Comment by gdv – July 3, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex vs Derek thats just mean!

Comment by Jacqi – July 3, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Barney but I love Jeff more.

Comment by T – July 3, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I also feel like I have a better chance with Jeff (not really saying there is much of a chance anyway…)

Comment by rachelleet – July 3, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff vs Barney is so unfair. Hardest decision ever.

Comment by ashleytv – July 3, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff vs Barney. That SUCKS. Too bad for poor ol’ Jeff !

Comment by Ben – July 3, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Alex, my favorite character on Grey’s. And while I love Jeff Winger, me and Barney have been bros since 2005

Comment by tvaddict – July 3, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. As much as I love Jeff Winger, I’ve loved Barney longer. And agreed, Alex is great.

Comment by kewi94 – July 3, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooo! Why Jeff Vs Barney – that’s evil! They’re both so awesome!

Comment by irishgirl29 – July 3, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had to go with Jeff cause Community has a fraction of the audience that HIMYM has… personally I think these votes should be handicaps based on ratings, though adjusted for the fact that tvline readers tend to like the off beat. Now, I’ve only had a year of calculus so I couldn’t come up with this formula, but let’s go hit those that took statistics, this should be right up their alley.

Comment by moobear – July 3, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I chose Jeff for the same reason, and I’m really surprised it’s so close given the huge HIMYM following. They should have been pitted against each other in the semi-finals, not round 1!

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – July 4, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek is so creepy, so funny, so nasty! Jack Davenport is a genius. Too bad more folks don’t watch Smash, or he’d be getting more votes! (BTW, you guys should totally watch Smash — great, great show.)

Comment by Cara – July 3, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a difficult one but when faced with a choice I will ALWAYS pick NPH.

Comment by Casey – July 3, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff vs Barney?! And I used to like you Slezak. :)

Comment by Crystal – July 3, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Jeff. While I like Barney and NPH is pretty peerless, Community is a vastly superior show. There’s no fake laugh track, too.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 3, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can I pick ALL OF THE ABOVE for these??

Comment by Samantha F – July 3, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t liked Jack Davenport in much he’s done stateside, probably because he’s always cast as not being a dick, but he nails the bad boy thing with Derek in Smash.

Comment by KS – July 3, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So you pit two of the most loved characters on television on the first round of the tourney. I know people have said this before, but really? Winger vs Stinson? Jeff vs Barney? They deserve to go far, both of them.

Comment by dcmjlive – July 3, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff vs. Barney first round is terrible! D: I voted Jeff, but they’re both amongst my favorites.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – July 3, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Barney. HIMYM!!!

Comment by Carol – July 3, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just as long As Barney doesn’t go againest J.R Ewing on this battle of the bad boys battle then I want Barney to win it all!! But if J.R Ewing is on this battle then J.R Ewing will win it all!! Because J.R is the best bad boy/ villian of all time on t.v and no one will take that away from him!!

Comment by Marie More (@sweeteepie4ever) – July 3, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d definitely vote for Barney if it were any other match-up on here, but he could not beat Jeff Winger in my heart. I’m very sorry to see he’s getting beaten.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 3, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched a few episodes of Smash (which he was great), & even though we’re not supposed to vote this way, I picked Jack Davenport because he is just so damn sexy.

Comment by Deena – July 3, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They Britta’d this poll. Jeff vs Barney? Really? Had to go with Winger though.

Comment by Evelyn – July 3, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you have watch SMASH.. you will definitely vote for Derek Wills.. For me its Derek Wills than Alex.. Watch smash..

Comment by Mavs Favs – July 4, 2012 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seem to be on the losing side this round. Jeff and Derek!

Comment by Sally – July 4, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may stop voting on these polls as it is torture I tell you.

Comment by Sandee Faasse Russo – July 4, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stinson vs Winger in the first round? WHY! but i’m team winger. I love NPH & Barney, I really do, but Jeff just has that edge over Barney.

Comment by airhead – July 4, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post