This Just In: HBO Orders New Seasons of The Newsroom and True Blood

News moves quickly, but it’s got nothing on HBO: The cable network renewed The Newsroom Monday after airing only two episodes of the show’s initial season.

Additionally, the supernatural soap opera True Blood also has been renewed for a sixth season.

RELATED | Exclusive: The Closer‘s Jon Tenney Heads to HBO’s Aaron Sorkin-Produced Newsroom

The Newsroom, an hour-long chronicle of a cable news show in transition, stars Jeff Daniels as the show’s acerbic host and Emily Mortimer as his former girlfriend and current lead producer. Creator Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing) uses actual news events of the recent past, such as the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, as fodder for Newsroom’s show-within-a-show, News Night.

HBO’s speedy decision makes sense in light of recent ratings: Newsroom’s premiere drew in 2.1 million total viewers, which was just short of Game of Thrones’ ratings for its Season 1 debut but a large improvement on True Blood’s initial outing (1.4 mil) in 2008.

RELATEDTrue Blood Recap: Sex, Lies and Death

The upcoming season of True Blood will be its first without creator Alan Ball as showrunner. Ball, who’s working on new shows for Cinemax and HBO, will remain an executive producer on the show.

Blood‘s Season 5 premiere grabbed 6.3 million viewers across both of its broadcasts, almost reaching the numbers it hit with the previous season’s debut.

1. Britta Unfiltered says:

Yay. It’s nice Aaron Sorkin won’t have that worry over his head of “Am I making a series or season finale?” when it comes time for the season 1 ending.

• Mike says:

He already filmed the finale. He made a joke in some interviews about not knowing how HBO shows typically end their seasons (whether on a cliffhanger or not).

2. yay Newsroom. 6 seasons and a movie!

3. maniacmedia says:

Glad to hear “The Newsroom” is coming back. Have loved the first two eps. Not much of a “True Blood” fan, but I’m sure their fans will be ecstatic as well.

4. SarahFW says:

True Blood has shown a marked improvement over the last two seasons. I am actually pretty stoked to watch it every week!

• Danielle H says:

I respect your opinion, but have you watched it from the beginning? it’s the saddest thing ever for me to see what was once such an awesome weekly ride from S1 turn into a muddled mess where barely anything happens. Am I still a big fan? Yes. Can I quite as much justify spending the extra 15$ on my DTV for 12 weeks? No..

5. ziggoz says:

Great news for the show “The Newsroom.” I, who am an ardent fan of science fiction (Fringe, Haven, Grimm …), I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of this show, which highlight the work of writers and the edition, which are spectacular. “The Newsroom”, I presume, is here to stay.

6. jonathon says:

true blood is coming back next season! Always good to see this because now we can breathe a sigh of relief that all these storylines don’t have to be wrapped up within just a few episodes. I love this show, keep going as long as it can stay fresh!

7. Mel says:

So excited there is some sensible people left in this world.

8. Cristi M. says:

Reblogged this on Simple.Interesting. and commented:
    True Blood is renewed !!!

9. Mick says:

The Newsroom needs a lot of work and True Blood hasn’t been great in years. Both could use a writing overhaul.

10. BillK says:

Glad I canceled HBO when The Sopranos ended. Neither show hits in my interest zone.

11. Gerald Poe says:

Does anyone know when Newsroom will start.