Doctor Who Recruits The Avengers' Diana Rigg

Get More: Casting News

Doctor Who will hang with one very groovy lady when Dame Diana Rigg aka The Avengers‘ Emma Peel guest-stars on the BBC series next season.

And joining Rigg for her trip with the Time Lord will be her real-life daughter, Rachael Stirling, the BBC reports.

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts New Companion: Find Out When She’ll Arrive

In an episode filming this week with series star Matt Smith and new companion Jenna-Louise Coleman, Rigg and Stirling will play a Yorkshire local and her daughter, who together share a “dark secret.”

“The first time Rachie and I will be working together is on an episode of Doctor Who specially written for us by Mark Gatiss,” Rigg noted. “How lucky is that?”

PHOTO | Get a First Look at Doctor Who With His New Companion

Stirling said that she and her mother have never worked together before “because the offers have not been tempting, but when such a funny and original script comes through you know the time has come.”

“Mark Gatiss has written a gift of a script and an on-screen relationship between Ma and I that is truly delicious,” added the actress, whose TV credits include BBC’s Women In Love and Tipping the Velvet.

As series showrunner Steven Moffat remarked, “Dame Diana Rigg, Rachael Stirling and a Mark Gatiss script — a combination of talents you could only get in Doctor Who! Frankly, I’m terrified already!”

UPDATE: For the uninitiated, Rigg’s long career has also included films such as On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, 1971′s The Hospital (for which she got a Golden Globe nod), the Hercule Poirot mystery Evil Under the Sun and The Painted Veil. On TV, she earned a pair of Emmy nominations for her turn as Emma Peel (and scored a win for the 1997 TV-movie Rebecca), played the title role in 1981′s telepic Hedda Gabler, starred in Bleak House and The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries and, most recently, was featured in the BBC miniseries The Last King. She is also a Tony Award winner, among other stage accolades.

Comments (17)

• LOVE this! I can’t wait to see the episode!

Comment by emma_h – July 2, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comment if you’re dissapointed because you were expecting someone frommarvel’s The Avengers.

Comment by Eli – July 2, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was, I even searched her to see who she was since I didn’t remember her from the film lol.

Comment by Josh – July 2, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The sad thing is that MWM is evidently unaware of Diana Rigg’s extensive career other than a couple of seasons of a show from nearly a half-century ago.

Comment by CJ – July 3, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disappointed. One “s”, two “p”s. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – July 3, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gah,me too!!

Comment by Shaun – July 3, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I CANNOT wait for season 7! Bring it on!!

Comment by Michelle – July 2, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, that The Avengers…

Comment by Karsten Schramm – July 2, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE seeing Doctor Who news on TVLine – it’s one of my favorite shows and I’m glad to see you guys covering it. Can’t wait for August!

Comment by Bailey – July 3, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be a fantastic episode. Mark G. wrote or co-wrote the BBC Sherlock reboot and he can do no wrong.

Comment by tvdiva – July 3, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget she also hosted PBS’ Mystery! for many, many years, that also included Hercule Poirot and she had had her own PBS Mystery! while hosting: The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – July 3, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn next season will be AMAZING! Anyway aren’t they all?! :D

Comment by Manie – July 3, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt can you please find out for us when the new season will start? maybe you will have better luck then me finding out

Comment by dave – July 3, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just checked this instant, and… no update.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 3, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see it!

Comment by Costume – July 8, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post