Heroes Vs. Smallville! Once Upon a Time Vs. BSG! Bad Boys Day 7 Goes Out of This World!

Fans of sci-fi and fantasy are going to be especially interested in Day 7 of our TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament.

Then again, they may rue the day they were forced to choose between Heroes‘ Sylar and Smallville‘s Lex Luthor, as well as Once Upon a Time‘s Mr. Gold and Battlestar Galactica‘s Gaius Baltar.

Every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. El S Boy says:

Gaius Baltar can’t lose
    WTF are you doing people !!!

• Robert Carlyle Fan says:

You’ve obviously never watched Once Upon A Time. Robert Carlyle does a fantastic job of playing two different, but yet the same, characters. His character (which the contest is based on) is the perfect villain, you never know if you can fully trust him.

• davey says:

Gaius Baltar is a BAD BOY! He’s the reason the cylons blew the worlds up! Major bad boy.

• ben says:

Sometimes ambiguity can be more compelling. I voted Mr Gold because at times, he makes you wonder if he could actually ultimately be a good guy.

• skilman says:

This just shows that people have no memory, Lex and Baltar should win this, but they have been off the air for more then a year.

• Chris says:

Gaius Baltar will loose because more people watch OUAT then Battlestar, but Baltar is more of a bad boy then Rumple.

• Jo says:

Rumple is the reason his world was destroyed and everyone got sucked into another. He created the curse to end all curses and then manipulated somebody else to do his dirty work. That’s enough for me to vote for him. Plus he’s got that whole Dark One thing going on, too.

• murley says:

um baltar is the reason the ENTIRE world was destroyed. as in humanity. seems like based on that criteria the choice is obvious. also how on earth is lex not winning??

• AJ says:

Idiot lol. Baltar killed an entire civilization save a handful of people so he could get laid. That’s a bad boy.

• Temperence says:

You do realize it’s not who is the worst bad boy, but your favorite… Rumple certainly captures my imagination more, whereas I often found Baltar pathetic.

• AJ says:

Ummm yeah I do realize. You are voting for Rumple over a guy that routinely screwed over the human race. OUAT is for women.

• TigerNightmare says:

Being a sexist moron wins every argument. Everyone, please discard your own opinions.

• KC says:

My husband and I watch Once Upon a Time EVERY WEEK! We watch it together – sometimes we DVR it to watch when we both can….Mr. Gold is bad and good — he manipulates people–he’s not so “in your face”..it isn’t obvious. Plus Robert Carlyle is an incredible actor!

• Lyria says:

No, that’s a villain.

• El S Boy says:

I love the season 1 of OUAT, but It’s Gauis we talking about !

“you never know if you can fully trust him”
        Bad Boy contest here, no need to trust him just watch the fact

a great villain is not a great Bad Boy

• YowzaPowza says:

Baltar is epic. What you described for Rump you can say for Baltar tenfold.

• cj says:

in terms of self-preservation, they are on the same level. in terms of actual evilness, rumple is the greater of the two, but i really can’t shake my allegiance to BSG.

• AJ says:

I could not agree more.

2. Stan says:

The fact that the winner of both of these face off against each other makes me sad. I loved Sylar (Season1) and Robert Carlyle plays his role perfectly.

3. wordsmith says:

These are both pretty difficult match ups. Baltar is one of the most interesting and complicated villains ever, but Robert Carlyle is almost as good and both more current and more mainstream. The Lex/Sylar pairing seems designed to split the diehard geek fanbase (i.e. those of us who actually enjoyed both of those shows).

4. damian says:

Sylar lost his way, Lex never did (and became worse and worse as the series pogressed), I’m going with Lex on this one.

• TigerNightmare says:

Precisely. I can’t stand character inconsistency. One minute, he gets off on killing people, the next, he goes on guilt trips and conjures up a psychological disorder called “THE HUNGER”. He bonds with Elle and learns to understand the powers of others without killing, then he freaking kills her cause he gets off on it. Then Hiro is mean and says he’ll be a loner and suddenly he’s a good guy again. Damn writers never made up their damn minds. Lex Luthor on the other hand, was always progressively becoming darker. He can match wits with an alien god but Sylar is constantly one-upped by broken Engrish. Gimme a break.

• Emily says:

Wow, I can’t believe you remember all that. To be honest, I can’t remember what happened on Heroes beyond “save the cheerleader, save the world.” It had such a promising start…

• Jarrod says:

I AM LAUGHING SO MUCH!
          But in all seriousness, Heroes needed a season 5 to conclude it. Season 4 finale had such a promising opening for the next season…

5. This says:

Baltar indirectly caused the death of billions of people. Everyone else go home.

6. Ladybug Girl says:

Rumple FTW!

7. Danielle H says:

SYLAR FTW.. ultimate baddie. .. seriously just watch Heroes, even when he pretended to be good he was still bad.

8. ziggoz says:

Of this group there, the bad boy of course, is Sylar (Heroes). This guy is very, very bad indeed.

9. Jeff H says:

Did you guys even watch BSG ? Baltars character was a coward, he gave away information for sex without being aware of the consequences until it was too late. That’s not badass it’s just stupid :). Rumple FTW.

10. Ruby says:

Sylar. Always Sylar. My #1 bad boy.

11. blaster freak says:

I voted for the BSG guy, because Once Upon A Time is a terribly written and acted series, rife with squandered potential…and Rumpelstiltskin is the worst period character period ever, period.

12. Lauren says:

Well this is the first bracket where my picks are losing. Seriously, Sylar over Lex? Sylar was a pathetic mess of a character after season one (played brilliantly by Zach Quinto) but Lex was the greatest part of Smallville. A beautifully flawed creation on both the actor and the writer’s parts.
    And while I love Rumple, Baltar was just fascinating. As well as having four years to see his erratic behaviour, having only seen one season of OUAT.
    Obviously this competition is based on who your favourite is, not on any ‘who is badder?’ measurement, but I love Lex and Baltar so I’m disappointed.

13. tim says:

Skylar played with greatness by Zachary Quinto is one of the best villains on tv.

14. Ale says:

Lex Luthor losing against Sylar?? are you kidding me? Lex is one of the best villans in tv.

15. kelly says:

Rumpelstiltskin!!

16. Jo says:

Rumplestiltskin. Robert Carlyle is just perfection.

17. Gus says:

I guess lot of you forgot baltar.remember the group prayer/sex,fraked all hotties,gave cylons a nuclear bomb,caused death of thousand of people,caprica 6 subconcious.ag,the list is endless

18. Alhafra says:

I always thought of Baltar as pathetic and stupid, amd I enjoy watching Rumplestilskin, so there goes my vote!

19. kmf says:

I think we need to remember that Rumpelstiltskin built a curse that captured his whole world and everyone in it ~~on purpose~~ and he spent three centuries getting it right. That’s commitment. Baltar, on the other hand, was a patsy who had no idea what he was getting into and just wanted to impress a girl.

As for Sylar, it’s true he was ruined by pingponging characterization and backstories after the first season–but for that one season he was the purest embodiment of the supervillain ever. Sorry, Lex.

20. Inalgebra says:

I admit BSG had better scripts and I did like Baltar but he was weak and self serving rather than a real bad boy, he didn’t know he was helping to destroy the human race, in fact he’s a bit like pre dark one Rumple.

Rumple wins because a. Robert Carlyle is a brilliant actor who elevates the material and b. he’s played 3 distinct characters on ouat who were all bad in their own way. Human Rumple – a coward who burns down a castle & murders to steal power, imp dark one Rumple – who murders innocent mute maids/steals first borns & giggles afterwards and Mr Gold who manipulates everyone in town and beat an old guy half to death with his pimp cane over a tea cup :)

Lex wins overall but no denying Sylar was awesome in that first season.

21. Kevin says:

How does Michael Rosenbaum not win the entire competition hands down. Lex Luthor is awesome, and Michael was always awesome portraying him. If he does not win the entire bracket, let alone against Sylar (really?) it is a miscarriage of justice.

22. Mike says:

How can you not pick Lex? Any man who wanted to kill Superman has got to be the baddest. And Rumplestiltskin is easily the anti-hero.

23. JVC says:

How is sylar beating Lex? I mean I’m taking there entire runs in both series in account, and I have to give it to Lex. He become more of the villain we all expected him to be, while Sylar was all over the place. Don’t get me started on sylar in season 4 of heroes. He got real annoying. I won’t be happy if Lex can’t even make it passed the first round.

24. Velvet says:

Robert Carlyle is awesome in all his roles.

25. Mandy says:

Sylar vs Lex is a tough one! But I went with Sylar because he was bad through and through and I was still routing for him!

26. anpn says:

How the heck can Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum) not have won in a landslide?? Travesty.
    Sylar wasn’t even written well half the time before the show went to pieces.

• mike says:

Lex lost because he was off the show the last few years and Smallville fans forgot how he was 100% evil all the time.