Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Scoop: Lost Alum Elizabeth Mitchell Joins in NBC's Revolution

Elizabeth Mitchell is reuniting with Lost creator J.J. Abrams as a series regular on his post-apocalyptic NBC drama Revolution, TVLine has learned.

Mitchell will play Rachel Matheson, the mother of Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) and Danny Matheson (Graham Rogers), and appear in a series in flashbacks. (The role was filled by Rescue Me‘s Andrea Roth in the original pilot.)

RELATED | Fall Preview: TVLine’s Handy Guide to More than 30 New Shows

Abrams and writer Eric Kripke (Supernatural) are executive-producing Revolution, in which all of the power in the world mysteriously shuts off. Picking up 15 years after the catastrophe, the series follows a band of survivors trying to evade a ruthless militia unit that wants to get the current flowing again, though for the wrong reasons.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

The Twilight saga’s Billy Burke plays Miles, the survivors’ unlikely leader and Rachel’s brother-in-law, and Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito is Captain Neville, a sadistic militia commander. On Friday, Daniella Alonso (Friday Night Lights) was added to the cast as Nora, a rebel fighter.

Mitchell’s other TV credits include V and the HBO movie Gia, opposite Angelina Jolie.

Revolution premieres Monday, Sept. 17, at 10 pm/9c.

Comments (51)

• Extremely excited. As I have said before, I loved the pilot and any time someone from LOST is on a show, I check it out. Season-pass ordered!

Comment by GeekFurious.com – June 30, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh how’d you see the pilot? Super jealous!?

So are they reshooting her parts in the pilot or just switching actresses after the second episode?

I’m guessing she’ll appear down the road. Woo!

Comment by Josh – June 30, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now a days, they would just reshoot the pilot unlike the old days where they just use a different actor for the second episode on (such as the case for Face on The A-Team).

I like how this release did not spoil one major twist at the end of the original pilot.

Now, if they can just make the character of Charlie less annoying/stupid/immature…

Comment by QuinnMallory – June 30, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Shonda did it with pravite practice but the context is different PP’s pilot was a crossover episode of grey’s anatomy so no reshhot possible ;-)

Comment by instaflex – July 2, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’ll reshoot; the character is in only, like, two scenes in the pilot.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 30, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have super secret access to NBC stuff.

And like Matt said, she’s barely in any scenes in the pilot.

Comment by GeekFurious.com – June 30, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Love Elizabeth Mitchell, but what happened to Andrea Roth? Is she on something else?

Comment by sash fan – July 2, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God I’d forgotten how GORGEOUS Elizabeth Mitchell is!

Comment by Nikolas – June 30, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting for her to be the lead of a new show since the end of V. It’s still not happening but at least she will FINALLY be back on TV!!!

Comment by Cécilia (@Kaelity) – June 30, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news with Elizabeth Mitchell in a show is great news. However, I wish she was going to be on Revenge as Emily’s mom!

Comment by matt – June 30, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well now Andrea Roth is free . . .
      Ringer showed she can bring the crazy.

Comment by darcywilson – June 30, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess that means she won’t be on Revenge, that’s to bad. I have a bad feeling with Revolution… Elizabeth Mitchell has already tried this sort of genre and didn’t work out too well for her. I really hope this doesn’t turn up to be the next V or Terra Nova.

Comment by Gerald – June 30, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Elizabeth Mitchell a lot but I still see Marcia Cross as Amanda’s mother on REVENGE. I want to see her bring the crazy as she did on MELROSE PLACE, complete with a ripping-off-wig moment.

Comment by TMW – June 30, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Marcia Cross has already stated that she plans on focusing on her family and not work for a while. That being said, I really don’t think she would want to play a character she has basically already done before.

Comment by Gerald – June 30, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was always going to be too young to play the mother of a 30 year old woman. No matter how much you love EM, some things just will not work, despite her awesomeness. Emily’s long lost Aunt, maybe, her mother, no way. I also wish she wasn’t on a genre show, given their sketchy record at renewal, but maybe that’s just what she likes to do.

Comment by Alex – June 30, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Emily Van Camp/Thorne is 25, but yeah, she’s still too young to be playing her, unless it’s in flashbacks. I would have gone with Dana Delany, but then they went and renewed Body of Proof… So I don’t know. But I’m hoping for a “name” actress.

Comment by SJ – June 30, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Emily is 28/29. I guess Emily Van Camp is just playing older. Remember she was released from prison at 18, went to the New Year’s Eve Party at the Grayson’s and then ten years later went to another New Year’s Eve party with Daniel, in full revenge mode.

Comment by Josh – June 30, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was concerned whether this show could make it on NBC or not, but I feel much better knowing she will be on the show. Looking forward to it.

Comment by AJ – June 30, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her so much ! But she deserves a better show… Maybe Revolution will be good, but it will be a blockbuster-style show, like Flash-Forward or Terra Nova.
    She deserves her own The Good Wife.

Comment by Ben – June 30, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more; Elizabeth Mitchell was good on Lost (consider what they asked her to do) but she would be great on a show geared toward women or a straight-forward character show, not an action vehicle. And she’s one of my favorite actresses. She really portrays a lot of emotional depth, which is going to be missed on this show (which is probably going to be canceled anyway because the actress who plays the daughter is a complete dud).

Odd coincidence: Andrea Roth (who Elizabeth replaces her) guess-stared in a Juliet-centric episode of Lost.

Comment by Derek Johnson – June 30, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree too, but I don’t think she would ever agree to star in a show like The Good Wife. That would probably be too formulaic and boring for her. I would love to see her on a gritty cable show, but I suspect that she will go straight to the next new network sci-fi show once this one is cancelled.

Comment by Sam – June 30, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good point about cable shows; she is the kind of “event” actress who could do well.

Comment by Derek Johnson – June 30, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so much looking forward this show. One more reason for me to watch.
    This show is going to be so so great.

Comment by Sam – June 30, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t planning on watching this show but I will now.

Comment by Jackson – June 30, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m currently watching (again) LOST and this is the best news. Revolution was the only new show I was looking forward to and my expectations just got bigger :)

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – June 30, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Master LOVE YOU! Xoxo!

Comment by CarryOnMyWaywardSon (@KAZ2Y5CNK80Q) – June 30, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super happy for her, love everything she does. But I was holding out hope shed be Emily’s mystery mother on Revenge :-(

Comment by Bob – June 30, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see why people would want her to be Emily’s mother, but: I’d prefer if they’d cast Heather Locklear or Natasha Henstridge! 8-)

Comment by Andrew – June 30, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I REALLY hope this doesn’t get canceled now.

Also, Andrea Roth and Elizabeth Mitchell coming full circle from LOST. Some sort of weird…

Comment by Kalee – June 30, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Elizabeth Mitchell & am glad that she’s back on TV – of course I’d have loved to see V come back, but that idiot Paul Lee at ABC put the mockers on that one…

Comment by Yootha – June 30, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, if they are going to the trouble to cast someone as high profile as EM (and pay her what they have to pay her), that probably means that the children’s mother is alive.

Comment by Derek Johnson – June 30, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a bummer that we will only see her in flashbacks. Maybe their mom isn’t dead, just missing and she’ll show up again?

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – June 30, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, it’s a JJ Abrams show. Anyone who thinks Elizabeth Mitchell’s character won’t appear in the present needs to watch more TV. :)

Comment by Marcus Dixon – July 1, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely watch it. I love Elizabeth Mitchell. Glad she’s back.

Comment by DanielleZ – June 30, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She won’t technically reunited with JJ Abrams as he had left Lost long before the got on the island.
    However, that makes me want to watch Revolution even more.

Comment by David – June 30, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he did technically write her debut episode, you know.

Comment by John – June 30, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want flashbacks but this just made me want to watch this, probably dvr it and watch castle first

Comment by Jake – June 30, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has been over a month since I saw the pilot but from what I remember, there is at least one flashback, and it is at the end of the episode to kind of set up the whole series.

Comment by GeekFurious.com – June 30, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUGE SCORE for Revolution imo. Elizabeth Mitchell is fantastic.

Comment by Dee – June 30, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s in so am I, I tink Elizabeth is an amazing actress.

Comment by Teléfila – July 1, 2012 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The premise is similar to Falling Skies minus the aliens. As much as i like EM the idea of watching bunch of survivors + militia is just not that appealing. Watching Falling Skies is already a chore.

Comment by Delon – July 1, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had no idea that this show was a collaboration of JJ Abrams and Eric Kripke, I saw a trailer for it and I was already interested and knowing that as well as EM joining the show only makes me even more interested. One thing I kind of have a bit of a gripe with this show, is that it seems to be copying the series of “Change” novels by S.M Stirling starting with ‘Dies the Fire” in the series in one instant every bit of technology including electricity and weapons from the last couple hundred years is rendered useless. People than start going back to using medieval weapons, as well as adapting into different kinds of medieval civilizations, and one madman creates his own totalitarian state and the several other cast of characters who have created their own clans or tribes must ban together to fight. But I will say that DTF focuses on the characters immediately following the “Change” whereas Revolution jumps ahead fifteen years. It’s really too bad that they didn’t adapt those books into a series like Game of Thrones has done because they are some of the best books I have ever read. Really check out those books if you’re interested in something similar to this show, the first storyline is a trilogy, and than their have been four or five books out so far in the second story.

Comment by Matt – July 1, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with Matt-looking forward to this series because it sounds much like the books by SM Stirling–a must read for you folks that are intrigued by this Upcoming show. Grab a copy of “Dies the Fire” and you will be hooked.

Comment by Mollye – July 29, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The SM Stirling novels would have been a better pick to make a mini-series out of. Revolution smacks of a cheesy rip off of those books.

Comment by G Neilson – September 12, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution, really added quality, its cast, with the inclusion of actress Elizabeth Mitchell. I really liked their preformances in V, when, unfortunately, the show was canceled.

Comment by ziggoz – July 1, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many of these shows does she have to do before she becomes the Ted McGinley of the high-concept drama.

Comment by TV Gord – July 1, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, Everything JJ Abrams has done since Lost has sucked (with the the exception of Fringe). I’ll give it a go, but there better be a real scientific explanation for there being no power, and not some bulls**t excuse of an explanation like we got for the Lost finale, and most of the explanations given in the final season.
    JJ Abrams just seems to come up with an idea and doesn’t think it through very far most of the time, and he thinks that’s enough to carry the show. It’s the same way a 12-year-old would write a show. There better be a legitimate plan.

Comment by liddad – July 2, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean except FRINGE and STAR TREK and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, right? So, one thing he’s done has sucked.

Comment by GeekFurious.com – July 2, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • flashbacks? is her character dead? MIA?

Comment by instaflex – July 2, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope she is MIA, because I would love to see her more than just in flashbacks.

Comment by Lucy – July 19, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will literally watch anything Mitchell does. She’s so fierce.

Comment by mia – July 2, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post