Fall TV Scoop: Lost Alum Elizabeth Mitchell Joins in NBC's Revolution

Elizabeth Mitchell is reuniting with Lost creator J.J. Abrams as a series regular on his post-apocalyptic NBC drama Revolution, TVLine has learned.

Mitchell will play Rachel Matheson, the mother of Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) and Danny Matheson (Graham Rogers), and appear in a series in flashbacks. (The role was filled by Rescue Me‘s Andrea Roth in the original pilot.)

RELATED | Fall Preview: TVLine’s Handy Guide to More than 30 New Shows

Abrams and writer Eric Kripke (Supernatural) are executive-producing Revolution, in which all of the power in the world mysteriously shuts off. Picking up 15 years after the catastrophe, the series follows a band of survivors trying to evade a ruthless militia unit that wants to get the current flowing again, though for the wrong reasons.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

The Twilight saga’s Billy Burke plays Miles, the survivors’ unlikely leader and Rachel’s brother-in-law, and Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito is Captain Neville, a sadistic militia commander. On Friday, Daniella Alonso (Friday Night Lights) was added to the cast as Nora, a rebel fighter.

Mitchell’s other TV credits include V and the HBO movie Gia, opposite Angelina Jolie.

Revolution premieres Monday, Sept. 17, at 10 pm/9c.

1. Extremely excited. As I have said before, I loved the pilot and any time someone from LOST is on a show, I check it out. Season-pass ordered!

• Josh says:

Oh how’d you see the pilot? Super jealous!?

So are they reshooting her parts in the pilot or just switching actresses after the second episode?

I’m guessing she’ll appear down the road. Woo!

• QuinnMallory says:

Now a days, they would just reshoot the pilot unlike the old days where they just use a different actor for the second episode on (such as the case for Face on The A-Team).

I like how this release did not spoil one major twist at the end of the original pilot.

Now, if they can just make the character of Charlie less annoying/stupid/immature…

• instaflex says:

Shonda did it with pravite practice but the context is different PP’s pilot was a crossover episode of grey’s anatomy so no reshhot possible ;-)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

They’ll reshoot; the character is in only, like, two scenes in the pilot.

• I have super secret access to NBC stuff.

And like Matt said, she’s barely in any scenes in the pilot.

• sash fan says:

Yes! Love Elizabeth Mitchell, but what happened to Andrea Roth? Is she on something else?

2. Nikolas says:

God I’d forgotten how GORGEOUS Elizabeth Mitchell is!

3. I’ve been waiting for her to be the lead of a new show since the end of V. It’s still not happening but at least she will FINALLY be back on TV!!!

4. matt says:

Any news with Elizabeth Mitchell in a show is great news. However, I wish she was going to be on Revenge as Emily’s mom!

5. Gerald says:

So I guess that means she won’t be on Revenge, that’s to bad. I have a bad feeling with Revolution… Elizabeth Mitchell has already tried this sort of genre and didn’t work out too well for her. I really hope this doesn’t turn up to be the next V or Terra Nova.

• TMW says:

I like Elizabeth Mitchell a lot but I still see Marcia Cross as Amanda’s mother on REVENGE. I want to see her bring the crazy as she did on MELROSE PLACE, complete with a ripping-off-wig moment.

• Gerald says:

Marcia Cross has already stated that she plans on focusing on her family and not work for a while. That being said, I really don’t think she would want to play a character she has basically already done before.

• Alex says:

She was always going to be too young to play the mother of a 30 year old woman. No matter how much you love EM, some things just will not work, despite her awesomeness. Emily’s long lost Aunt, maybe, her mother, no way. I also wish she wasn’t on a genre show, given their sketchy record at renewal, but maybe that’s just what she likes to do.

• SJ says:

Emily Van Camp/Thorne is 25, but yeah, she’s still too young to be playing her, unless it’s in flashbacks. I would have gone with Dana Delany, but then they went and renewed Body of Proof… So I don’t know. But I’m hoping for a “name” actress.

• Josh says:

Emily is 28/29. I guess Emily Van Camp is just playing older. Remember she was released from prison at 18, went to the New Year’s Eve Party at the Grayson’s and then ten years later went to another New Year’s Eve party with Daniel, in full revenge mode.

6. AJ says:

I was concerned whether this show could make it on NBC or not, but I feel much better knowing she will be on the show. Looking forward to it.

7. Ben says:

Love her so much ! But she deserves a better show… Maybe Revolution will be good, but it will be a blockbuster-style show, like Flash-Forward or Terra Nova.
    She deserves her own The Good Wife.

• Derek Johnson says:

Couldn’t agree more; Elizabeth Mitchell was good on Lost (consider what they asked her to do) but she would be great on a show geared toward women or a straight-forward character show, not an action vehicle. And she’s one of my favorite actresses. She really portrays a lot of emotional depth, which is going to be missed on this show (which is probably going to be canceled anyway because the actress who plays the daughter is a complete dud).

Odd coincidence: Andrea Roth (who Elizabeth replaces her) guess-stared in a Juliet-centric episode of Lost.

• Sam says:

I agree too, but I don’t think she would ever agree to star in a show like The Good Wife. That would probably be too formulaic and boring for her. I would love to see her on a gritty cable show, but I suspect that she will go straight to the next new network sci-fi show once this one is cancelled.

8. Sam says:

I was so much looking forward this show. One more reason for me to watch.
    This show is going to be so so great.

9. Jackson says:

I wasn’t planning on watching this show but I will now.

10. I’m currently watching (again) LOST and this is the best news. Revolution was the only new show I was looking forward to and my expectations just got bigger :)

11. Bob says:

Super happy for her, love everything she does. But I was holding out hope shed be Emily’s mystery mother on Revenge :-(

12. Andrew says:

I see why people would want her to be Emily’s mother, but: I’d prefer if they’d cast Heather Locklear or Natasha Henstridge! 8-)

13. Kalee says:

I REALLY hope this doesn’t get canceled now.

Also, Andrea Roth and Elizabeth Mitchell coming full circle from LOST. Some sort of weird…

14. Yootha says:

I love Elizabeth Mitchell & am glad that she’s back on TV – of course I’d have loved to see V come back, but that idiot Paul Lee at ABC put the mockers on that one…

15. Derek Johnson says:

Okay, if they are going to the trouble to cast someone as high profile as EM (and pay her what they have to pay her), that probably means that the children’s mother is alive.

16. It’s a bummer that we will only see her in flashbacks. Maybe their mom isn’t dead, just missing and she’ll show up again?

• Marcus Dixon says:

Haha, it’s a JJ Abrams show. Anyone who thinks Elizabeth Mitchell’s character won’t appear in the present needs to watch more TV. :)

17. DanielleZ says:

I’ll definitely watch it. I love Elizabeth Mitchell. Glad she’s back.

18. David says:

She won’t technically reunited with JJ Abrams as he had left Lost long before the got on the island.
    However, that makes me want to watch Revolution even more.

19. Jake says:

I don’t want flashbacks but this just made me want to watch this, probably dvr it and watch castle first

• It has been over a month since I saw the pilot but from what I remember, there is at least one flashback, and it is at the end of the episode to kind of set up the whole series.

20. Dee says:

HUGE SCORE for Revolution imo. Elizabeth Mitchell is fantastic.

21. Teléfila says:

She’s in so am I, I tink Elizabeth is an amazing actress.

22. Delon says:

The premise is similar to Falling Skies minus the aliens. As much as i like EM the idea of watching bunch of survivors + militia is just not that appealing. Watching Falling Skies is already a chore.

23. Matt says:

I had no idea that this show was a collaboration of JJ Abrams and Eric Kripke, I saw a trailer for it and I was already interested and knowing that as well as EM joining the show only makes me even more interested. One thing I kind of have a bit of a gripe with this show, is that it seems to be copying the series of “Change” novels by S.M Stirling starting with ‘Dies the Fire” in the series in one instant every bit of technology including electricity and weapons from the last couple hundred years is rendered useless. People than start going back to using medieval weapons, as well as adapting into different kinds of medieval civilizations, and one madman creates his own totalitarian state and the several other cast of characters who have created their own clans or tribes must ban together to fight. But I will say that DTF focuses on the characters immediately following the “Change” whereas Revolution jumps ahead fifteen years. It’s really too bad that they didn’t adapt those books into a series like Game of Thrones has done because they are some of the best books I have ever read. Really check out those books if you’re interested in something similar to this show, the first storyline is a trilogy, and than their have been four or five books out so far in the second story.

• Mollye says:

Agree with Matt-looking forward to this series because it sounds much like the books by SM Stirling–a must read for you folks that are intrigued by this Upcoming show. Grab a copy of “Dies the Fire” and you will be hooked.

• G Neilson says:

The SM Stirling novels would have been a better pick to make a mini-series out of. Revolution smacks of a cheesy rip off of those books.

24. ziggoz says:

Revolution, really added quality, its cast, with the inclusion of actress Elizabeth Mitchell. I really liked their preformances in V, when, unfortunately, the show was canceled.

25. TV Gord says:

How many of these shows does she have to do before she becomes the Ted McGinley of the high-concept drama.

26. liddad says:

Meh, Everything JJ Abrams has done since Lost has sucked (with the the exception of Fringe). I’ll give it a go, but there better be a real scientific explanation for there being no power, and not some bulls**t excuse of an explanation like we got for the Lost finale, and most of the explanations given in the final season.
    JJ Abrams just seems to come up with an idea and doesn’t think it through very far most of the time, and he thinks that’s enough to carry the show. It’s the same way a 12-year-old would write a show. There better be a legitimate plan.

27. instaflex says:

flashbacks? is her character dead? MIA?

28. mia says:

I will literally watch anything Mitchell does. She’s so fierce.