Cable Premiere Ratings: Anger Management Breaks Records, Awkward Rules the School

Holy Sh… een.

The Thursday night premiere of FX’s Anger Management drew 5.47 million total viewers, with 2.65 mil falling in the coveted 18-49 demo — each tally setting a record for a scripted cable comedy debut.

That total audience also represents the most-watched series premiere in FX history.

RELATED | Thursday Ratings: Olympic Swimming Buoys Saving Hope, Duets Hits a Low Note

The second episode of the double-pumped premiere built on those boffo numbers, drawing 5.74 million total viewers with 2.89 landing in the demographic sweet spot. Remember, if AM meets certain undisclosed “thresholds,” FX is poised to order 90 more episodes in one fell swoop.

Leading out of the freshman sitcom, the Wilfred (2.53 million total viewers) and Louie (1.43 mil) season openers enjoyed viewership boosts of 71 and 55 percent over their prior season averages, and their second-highest rated outings of all time.

UPDATE: The Season 2 premiere of MTV’s Awkward drew 2.2 million total viewers and scored a 2.2 rating with the 12-34 crowd, up 29 percent from the series’ launch and beating all Thursday cable and broadcast fare in that demo. The comedy was down 12 percent in the demo from its freshman finale, yet hit a series high with female teens, more than doubling the Season 1 premiere.

1. Carmen says:

I think this dude is talented and I would be a total fan if he wasn’t such a narcissistic douche bag in real life. With that said, I watched it and loved every minute of it.

• Chester says:

I don’t care if he is a narcissistic douche bag. I love him and am so happy that he is back on television.

2. VaultDweller says:

Yeah I for one liked this show a lot more than I expected to, and most of that is due to the fact that no matter what else; Charlie Sheen is a brilliant comedy actor. The rest of the cast was a bit hit/miss , but I figure it edges on the positive side for now. Will have to wait and see how the show and the ratings go in the weeks to come.

3. maryploppins says:

You have GOT to be kidding me. WHY, America, WHY!!??

4. katza says:

Charlie was charlie with a bit of maturity and still giving a bit of himself. I think it was good and has great potential. It is different and more of a challenge. I am so glad to have charlie back. Everyone can learn from this experience. Great job!!! Keep it coming.

5. Sg.Grant says:

I’m still withholding judgment. I’ll probably check it out again next week since the USA Thursday night shows I watch won’t have any new episodes.

6. Emily says:

Huh. I was thinking about checking it out, and now I guess I’ll have to.

7. AJ says:

Some of the acting was pretty terrible but Sheen was the same as he always is. Winning.

• In addition to some poor acting, the writing was atrocious. I didn’t laugh one time, and kept looking at the clock to see when it was going to be over. It was pretty lackluster. Charlie is playing a much more mature role, but I don’t think that’s his strong suit. He is much better playing his actual self – a narcisstic d-bag womanizer. I won’t be watching again, but you diehard CS fans don’t need to bother to tell me to not to let the door hit me in the *ss on the way out, because I’ve already left the building.

8. kwilson65 says:

I loved it! My two favorite actors in one show. Charlie Sheen always makes me laugh, hey Barry Corbin is wonderful and everything he’s in. Great casting all the way around. I can’t wait to see more.

9. eh says:

People tuned in because they were curious. #s will crash.

10. John DeMayo says:

I hope they start to feature Daniella Bobadilla more. With her character’s OCD, she has the potential to be *way* more interesting than any of the other supporting characters on the show. And she had good chemistry with Charlie. Not to mention she was brilliant in her more dramatic role on “Awake”. I’d much rather see some fun “father/daughter” moments than “girlfriends of the week”.

11. Brenda Wells says:

It kind of started out slow but picked up as the show went along. The characters were all new and it takes a while to get to know them but it looks promising. The writing was really good for a fresh new show out of the gate. If that can continue, if Sheen can focus on the show while keeping his personal life private, and stay out of battles with the producers than it has a great chance. He’s gotten older since the debut of “two and a half men” so he may have to change his character to reflect that reality and it will be a challenge for him when he’s not doing that bad boy role anymore.

12. eh says:

EW gave it a C. You people really liked it?

13. Tony says:

I think FX fudged the numbers a bit in declaring this a record debut for a cable comedy. The press release specifically excludes “children’s programming” which I assume means Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, both of which might have had better comedy debuts.

Still, an impressive performance for Charlie Sheen here.

14. Megan says:

I tried to like it but I couldn’t. And I was a big fan of his on 2.5 Men. I just didnt buy his character. However, I think the show will get a S2 renewal. FX loves him over there. And he brings them a ton of publicity.

• Megan says:

Another note: I wonder if they had to specify in his contract about consequences if he went on the drug path again? They surely wouldnt want another 2.5 men fiasco.

15. Pearl says:

I just wished that they wouldn’t put the “therapist’s unatchatted sex” on. Those were the worst part of the show. The nieghboor was also so… bad. Liked the two groups (hate it the black gay in prison, was too much cliche in acting, and the guy of the bible). If they can focus more on the father/daughter relationship, and the actual session of the groups, would be great. I can pass without the neighbor, the friend with benefits, and the ex, the last two are too much “Two and a half men style” for me.

16. Rolfe says:

Loved Awkward! Glad to see an uptick.

17. John says:

I wouldn’t watch this show if you paid me.

18. Kathryn says:

Ugh! Even out of sheer curiosity, I can’t believe so many peeps went for another show by this has been instead of my fav summer show, Rookie Blue. Grrr! Too many idiots in this country.

19. Scott says:

I couldn’t stomach more than 10 minutes of the first episode. Sheen can’t act, and the rest of the cast are even worse than he is. The only thing I could laugh at was the opening scene, and even that wasn’t all that funny.

20. darcywilson says:

And now there will be 100 episodes. -___-

21. Mrs. Peele says:

I didn’t watch Anger Management because it is just another example of how the American public elevates the absurd. I USED to like Charlie Sheen. But his notoriety, disrespect for women and what he is allowing his own children to live in and see appalls me – basic common decency not to mention his addictions and his general state of ‘no mind’ at all, makes me feel he needs serious help. He’s like a volcano ready to explode and he WILL explode again. But that’s what people want I suppose. Any ‘regular’ guy in the ‘real’ world of life, would be in jail, loose his children etc. He and all the other ones who have gone off the charts – remember Mel Gibson? should start their own club and of course people we love it! Said commentary on society but that’s it. Lindsay Lohan another terrific example – and there are so many moreI guess the more ignorant and stupid you behave the better the public likes you.

22. Walrus says:

I didn’t watch it because it’s advertising just turned me off. “Funnier than the current incarnation of 2 1/2 Men.” Was that necessary?

23. Philipp says:

It wasn’t funny. Simple as that. I didn’t watch episode 2 because the first one was bad. It was boring, the actors did a petty job, they used far too many cliches that have been done far too many times and the comedic timing was bad, too. So bottom line, not a funny show.

24. Karen says:

I liked it, and hope they give Brett more of a role. I can see her as Berta type, who is hilarious in 2&1/2.

25. Velvet says:

I’m glad to see Charlie back on TV. I will watch next week. Sometimes the first epis are not that great. For instance, I love Wilfred and the premiere was lacking. I’m sure better epis are to come for both shows.

26. Ally says:

It sucks that I have to wait till September to watch it when it airs up here in Canada on CTV (one of our big networks).

27. Elias says:

why the hell do they use the exact copy of Raising Hope’s soundtrack?