Exclusive

Exclusive Office Spin-Off Scoop: Find Out Who's Who Down on The Farm

The Office’s Dwight Schrute has a dream to be a boss, and it’s inching closer to being a reality.

TVLine has secured exclusive intel on casting for The Farm, the buzzed-about planted spin-off to star Rainn Wilson‘s ambitious off-kilter character. The prospective off-shoot will sneak peek as an episode of The Office’s upcoming Season 9 before getting the green light to make a go of it on its own.

RELATED| B.J. Novak Reduces His Office Hours

In the new show, Dwight and his kin inherit a large family farm/bed-and-breakfast. When the bespectacled beet farmer decides to give the new venture a go, he must talk his brother and sister into joining him.

What’s that you say? You’d like more info on the rest of the cast? So far, the series regular roles include:

FANNIE SCHRUTE | Attractive, urban and in her late 20s/early 30s, Dwight’s younger sister fled the Schrute farm life for Boston as soon as she could, and has had little to do with her roots for quite some time. Now divorced with one son, Fannie is “a bit of a pseudo-intellectual lefty” with an ironic sense of humor and a great heart.

JEB SCHRUTE | Dwight’s easygoing thirtysomething brother hasn’t done well in any of the career paths he’s followed – worm breeder and Bigfoot hunter among them — but has found some success with a pot farm. He’s got none of Dwight’s dedication or work ethic, but he has made an exercise video about things you can do with a knife and a canoe. (We like him already.)

CAMERON WHITMAN | Dwight’s smart and slightly weird 9-year-old nephew (Fannie’s son) is a cosmopolitan lad who nevertheless feels the pull of his Schrute heritage, especially when he’s around someone — his uncles, perhaps? — who can offer the fatherly guidance he lacks.

HEINRICH MANHEIM | The Schrute siblings’ great uncle is charming, greedy, manipulative… and just may have had to spend time in Argentina following World War II, thanks to his German National Socialist roots. Oh, and he vows to kill Dwight by the end of the first episode.

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: Ed Helms on His Bumpy First Year as Office Boss, Why He’ll Be Back for More

There is no word yet on the whereabouts of cousin Mose (played now and again by Office co-exec producer Michael Schur) or whether the titular farm is the same one Dwight has called home all these years. You’ll recall that he’s already tried being a hotelier — in Season 4, Pam and Jim even spent a romantic night “away” as guests of the Schrute homestead — so here’s hoping Dwight’s improved on his hospitality since!

1. Bad idea jeans says:

This is still a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

2. Joe says:

This makes ‘Joey’, ‘Three’s A Crowd’, and ‘Joanie Loves Chachi’ look brilliant by comparison.

3. JJ says:

i keep waiting for someone to announce this is a joke

4. I honestly thought this was an April Fools joke. Dear God. This is going to be SO bad.

• Ava says:

All I know is, if Community gets cancelled to put this crapfest on the air there is going to be some major RAGING going on all over America.

• Skoad says:

Couldnt agree more. Community is todays BEST comedy. There are a lot of people out there who dont like it(because they dont fully understand the humor) but every year it gets rated the best on all the top TV Show websites.. That has to say something.

As for The Farm.. I had reallllly hoped for a Dwight spinoff.. but thought maybe DM would get shut down and he would somehow start his own business. Maybe even bring along a couple of the cast who people have fallen in love with.. and then add several new members to give the show a new life. Anyway.. one could only hope.

5. I was thinking it’s like a Newhart and Joey mashup.

6. rmooney@dmsolutions.com says:

That’s so dumb it might just work.

7. matttucker76 says:

Hahahaha Nazis. That comedy goldmine. … :-|

8. Emily says:

…what?

9. VBarkley says:

I’d watch it just for Dwight’s fashions. And if there’s no Nellie or Ryan, it’s got a chance – I hate them. But no Angela?????? What about their baby???

10. Tee says:

Yeah I didn’t think they were actually serious about making that.

11. murley says:

i don’t know about this. dwight works well on the office because his absurdity is grounded in something as mundane as office life. taking this absurd character and placing him in an absurd environment surrounded by more absurd characters sounds problematic to me. i am still finding it hard to believe they are serious about this. i will reserve final judgment until i have seen it but i am definitely really skeptical.

• MIchael says:

It’s not the office environment that grounds/tempers his absurdity…just like Michael Scott wasn’t grounded by his occupational environment. Both of those characters were grounded/offset by the people around them. Whether it be Dunder-Mifflin or a beet farm, the success of the show will come with a careful balancing of characters.

12. Nathan says:

They can try it if they want. We’ll see how it pans out. But The Office is now a subpar show and its a pretty good bet the spin-off will be too.

13. Joe says:

I’m not particularly excited by this show, but I will say that the character descriptions are interesting – will be interesting to see how he interacts with theme.

14. Leah says:

Weird. I don’t doubt the talent of Rainn Wilson; but could this really be a whole show? I’ll give it a shot, though. How will they write Moes out? He obviously can’t be on the show; Schur runs Parks.

15. Polly says:

And Community gets a shortened season because it has to give airtime to this crap. Nice work nbc.

16. Kel says:

No, no…a thousand times no!

17. lili says:

I loved. Loved, loved, loved the concept. Rainn Wilson is one of the most gifted comedic actors on a huge ensemble where everybody is hilariously funny. His Dwight Schrute is simply brilliant. The episode “Dwight K. Schrute, (Acting) Manager” is the best that The Office aired after Steve Carell’s departure. The last time we saw Dwight’s house, in the episode intitled “Garden Party”, it was very good.

I can’t say if this spin-off is going to work or find its audience but I’ll going to watch it. And still think it is a great idea.

18. TheDude says:

So, I guess Dwight’s not going to be dying at his Desk at Dunder Mifflin like he’s said multiple times, after all?

19. TMW says:

Heinrich sounds like a hoot. (rolls eyes)

20. James says:

Soo much negativity… I love the “Office”, and The Farm should be a good show.

And i do not blame this for Communiry getting a short season, (aside from being the best Comedy ever), Community has very bad ratings, and we need to accept that and stop blamming the network for EVERY little wrong.

21. cj says:

the only way this could work is if Mike Schur pens it… I’m sorry Paul Leiberstein*cough*toby*cough* but the chances of this working are slim.

22. Hype37 says:

I was willing to actually give this show a chance….and then I saw the name ‘Fannie Schrute’. Done.

23. Karen says:

Dwight is such an unbearable character,I can’t stand him.Watching this would be torture

24. Victor says:

As usual, most comments are negative on a show they haven’t even watched yet. Brilliant.

I can’t wait for this show to screen so I can form an informed opinion.

I’ve been a fan of Rainn’s work. Hope he can carry a show on his own.

25. Rachel says:

I’m a big fan of “The Office” and Rainn Wilson, but this Dwight spin-off seems like a horrible idea. I just don’t think Dwight is the type of character that you spin-off onto his own show. He’s just too weird. I’ll try to reserve my judgment until I actually watch the pilot though.

26. Kathleen says:

I love Rainn Wilson, but this is really risky and has a good chance of ending terribly. If Mose was having his own spin-off, I’d watch that ;)

27. Please change her name from ‘Fannie’. Anytime anyone see’s that word they think of bums or vaginas, definitely not good sitcoms.

28. Ruth says:

I don’t understand this at all. To me personally I think his character is the worst thing about the office. I will never watch anyspinoff about Dwight

29. Jonathan says:

The part that deters me the most is the “pseudo-intellectual lefty.” Even on a farm, Hollywood has to throw these people in? Good grief.

30. Oliver says:

This is a terrible concept. In fact, it sounds so self-evidently horrible that I’m half-convinced posters in favor of the idea are plants.

31. Geo says:

I didn’t think there was any way possible to make this show sound any less appealing, but somehow they managed to find one: throw in a kid!
    Uh, congratulations, NBC, I guess.

32. mawhi says:

Is has the potential to be a modern Fawlty Towers… it really does… now if only they can pull that off.

33. Jason says:

This looks awful. I’ll try the pilot out of curiosity but don’t expect much, Dwight only works in small doses. These supporting characters sound like they are out of some manual for Cliché Profiles 101. It is moves like this that makes it hard to take NBC seriously.

34. Pia says:

What about Mos?

35. s01 says:

I for one think is a brilliant idea. As long as they utilize the Mose character and keep the oddness that made Dwight’s Beet Farm so great.

Do it, NBC! But do it well.

36. Agent Michael Scarn says:

After season 5, NBC should have realized that all good things must come to an end, then had the writers wrap up the series during seasons 6 & 7. The storyline has really suffered over the last few years because the show doesn’t know what direction to go in. Seriously….The Office was about Michael Scott, and despite the talented Ed Helms trying to be a good replacement…it just feels forced. I love these characters, and Dwight may be the best, but I think it’s time NBC puts this series to rest.

37. Personally, I’d prefer a Creed spinoff. But if Mose is present, I’ll give this one a look.

38. Nate says:

They want to cancel Community, but they let this terrible idea come to fruition?

39. Haley B. says: