Chuck Alum Yvonne Strahovski Gushes Over Top-Secret Dexter Role: 'I Feel Very Lucky'

Get More: Interviews

With Chuck and that loyal gaggle of Nerd Herders behind her, Yvonne Strahovski has (as previously reported) set her sights on a killer role in Dexter‘s upcoming seventh season.

Unfortunately, as is typical with the Showtime saga, details surrounding the guest spot are being kept under wraps. That didn’t, however, stop the bubbly actress from gushing to TVLine about her new gig on Wednesday night, at the Australian Breakthrough Awards (where she was an honoree).

“I feel very lucky to have come from Chuck, and then gone straight into a movie, I, Frankenstein, and then to something completely different again with Dexter,” Strahovski said of her transition from one cult fave to another.

RELATED | Dexter Season 7 First Look Video: Will Deb Accept Her Brother’s Dark Passenger?

Dexter is respected for the quality of work that the actors and the writers and everybody brings to that show,” she continued, praising the series she now calls home. “It’s just really nice to be part of something that’s so celebrated in this industry.”

As for how her mystery lady plays into Dexter‘s slice-n-dicey world, Strahovski was careful not to show her hand (or even one card) just yet. She did tease, cagily, that her character, Hannah McKay, is “a woman who is haunted by her past, and [becomes] involved in solving a murder through Dexter.”

And why exactly is she so beneficial in aiding such an investigation? Laughed Strahovski, “That is a mystery that I cannot reveal!” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (17)

• Well I just hope they put the kiposh on the whole “deb loves dexter” thing… i’d so rather deb fall in love with hannah (yvonne) than where things are going right now… weird

Comment by Justine – June 28, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!

Comment by Heidi – June 28, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By the time they got around to the Deb/Dexter story line, the season was such a ridiculous train wreck, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Comment by moobear – June 29, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup, the Deb/Dex thing was definitely an odd and awkward direction for the show to take. I can’t say I want Yvonne’s character to be a love interest for Dexter, though, and not just because it’ll be weird seeing a Chuck lead in another show’s romance for the avid fans following their careers.

It just doesn’t seem like a romance built in this series will ever fare well or end well (i.e. Rita/Lumen/Deb & Dex, Deb & every man she’s been with, Batista/LaGuerta). Just, no. I’d really like Yvonne’s character to have depth and matter to the series, without the complications the misguided romantic relationships bring.

Comment by Aiden – July 3, 2012 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on TV Addict.

Comment by Aaron M Zaffuto – June 28, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh, Cannot wait! She is freaking awesome!

Comment by Adam – June 28, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So good to hear from Yvonne, she sounds so happy! And I like her role is being kept under wraps, I love a good mystery.

Comment by Danyelle – June 28, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the details of why she’s able to help Dexter with the investigation have already been revealed in TV Guide anyway so it doesn’t matter. ;-)

Man … season 6 was just SO bad … and season 5 wasn’t much better. I was right at the brink of canceling my season pass when I found out Yvonne was going to be on it. So now of course I’ll watch especially because her character sounds like a bada$$ (read the TV Guide interview with the producer Sara Colleton) … BUT … I will be shocked if the overall show quality can be turned around from what it was in season 6. The Deb incest storyline was the final nail in the coffin for me and I have zero interest in seeing that play out.

Well if anyone can save any t.v. show it’s Yvonne … Yvonne we are all counting on you … no pressure. :)

Comment by maryploppins – June 28, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i totally agreed. i did not plan on coming back to this embarrassing mess of a show until they announced Strahovski’s casting. i’ll tune in for sure, but really dreading to see all the old characters that used to be interesting and lovable now turned into completely unlikable and idiotic. i blame the writers/producers for such awful work they’ve done last year, just dreadful.

Comment by W – June 28, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she’d seen how embarrassing season 6 was, she wouldn’t feel quite so lucky.

Comment by Superhero – June 28, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had quit the show after last season, having survived two crap seasons in a row. But now I will watch every episode… that Yvonne is in.

Comment by GeekFurious.com – June 28, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My sentiments exactly. Unfortunately, Dexter has lost lots of its sizzle especially the past season. I was hoping for a better reveal about Deb and Dex than the anticlimactic one we got. Here’s to hoping that was a jumping board to a better paced, planned, and character-driven coming season. Really want the show and Yvonne get major props for it.

Comment by Aiden – July 3, 2012 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know she will be awesome, very good choice.

Comment by Robert – June 28, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know a lot of people didn’t like it but I enjoyed the 5th season…can’t say the same for the 6th though, but looking forward to the 7th.

Comment by Diva – June 29, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same thoughts here.I liked S5 and in comparison to S3, it was quite good. I have already erased S6 from my memory ( brain bleach FTW).

Super excited about Yvonne’s role on Dexter. It will certainly be strange to identify her with another character because in my mind I will always see her as Sarah Walker.

Hope she is neither a Lila 2.0 or Lumen 2.0. Anyways, what are the odds that her character will hook up with Dexter ? I say they are very good.

Comment by alladinsgenie4u – June 29, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Five feet of heaven in a ponytail.

Comment by fivefeetofheaveninaponytail – July 4, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ;-)