How Will a Change in Football Kickoff Times Affect Your CBS Sunday Favorites?

A 10-minute difference in football start times likely will be 10 times the headache for fans of CBS’ Sunday-evening line-up.

The National Football League announced Thursday that it will move its 4:15/3:15c Sunday kickoffs to 4:25 in order to reduce overlap with games that start at 1. That means that the Sundays that CBS broadcasts a 4:25 game — nine weeks out of the 17-week regular NFL season — its primetime fare will be pushed even later than in years past.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Football’s variable play time has long wreaked havoc on fans of CBS’ Sunday-night offerings. Now, viewers will have an even tougher time figuring out when The Amazing Race, The Good Wife and Sunday newbie The Mentalist — in the 8, 9 and 10 pm slots, respectively — will begin or end. (Diehards, it’s probably a good idea to admit defeat and have the DVR record all night.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

What do you think about the pigskin scheduling change? Cast your vote and be heard!

1. Whooooooooo says:

This past fall CBS was off schedule for WAAAAAAY longer than just ten min on most Sunday nights. I don’t think ten min really matters all that much. Hopefully CBS just puts the episodes online the next day.

• Rock Golf says:

Ten minutes matters a lot when you set it up to record at 9 pm and it doesn’t come on until 9:20 or 9:40. Fortunately I’m a Canadian and have 2 choices: Watch the Canadian broadcasts, which are usually not affected, or record the West coast feed.

• Joy says:

the west coast is messed up by football. Drives me crazy

• Abe Froman says:

HUH?!?! Afternoon football has NO effect on prime time on the West Coast. Games are long done by 8pm PT, when prime time starts there.

• Joy says:

it still affects us believe me. Missed a few Good Wife episodes last year. They simply relay what was shown on the east coast. I’ll be looking for Cdn channel.
            CBS is crazy for putting The Mentalist & The Good Wife on Sunday.

• JC says:

Unfortunately The Mentalist is not available (legally) online anywhere as far as I know. That’s why I was so annoyed when they moved it to Sundays. I think I’m just going to give up and wait for the DVDs to come out. It’s really frustrating though. I remember when I used to try to record Cold Case. I don’t know how many episodes I never got to see the end of. Not doing that again.

• Joy says:

Putting The Mentalist on Sundays in the middle of this mess is so stupid of CBS

• Melinda says:

I am so mad that I set my dvr to record The Mentalist, a show that is not availabe on cbs.com or on demand, and I am missing half of the episode. What is sad is that if you wait for the DVDs you risk the show being canceled because no one watches it. CBS at least needs to put the episodes online!

2. dg says:

This means the delay on Sunday will be worse and happen every week of football season.CBS should rework it’s schedule to account for this not just let it run over each week.It makes regular watching of programs,especially The Amazing Race,harder than it should be,especially since for some reason it’s not on dmand on Comcast like many other CBS shows.It’s a pain that will be worse,makes me wonder if Sunday on CBS is worth the problem.

3. Lisa says:

need another option….I watch it on my local station in Canada lol

4. Steven Podolsky says:

I live in Canada so I can get the normal times on the Canadian channels, :). But yes very frustrating when football runs over their time slot. I am also an NFL fan too. Go Eagles!

5. Morgan says:

Thank you, ABC, for not having football.

6. Good thing I’m on the West Coast, our prmetime fair doesnt begin till 8pm, so unless the game goes 30-minutes over or more, I’m still good, YAY, still get to see Patrick Jane wreck havoc on time

7. patrick zalusky says:

have the times for prime time 30 min later. it will still be wrong, but closer to what it will be. it would be good if dvrs could do last second ajustments

8. ZmaX says:

I was going to start watching The Mentalist live next season, but now i’ll scrap that idea and just watch it online. It’ll save a lot of trouble.

9. Declan says:

After last year, I’m just going to illegally download the shows affected by sports. Bonus: no commercials.

10. Deena says:

DirecTV doesn’t even have On Demand for CBS which is really annoying. I have to extend recording The Good Wife for up to 90 minutes sometimes. It’s very frustrating when there are 2 other programs I want to watch past 10pm. At least I can adjust the DVR while it is recording.

11. nabocane says:

Football rules all. Live with it…or watch HBO. Much better Sunday-night lineup anyway.

12. David says:

I quit watching shows on CBS during football season for this reason. I am a huge football fan so I don’t blame them, I blame CBS for stacking up the programming beginning so early.

• Jim says:

I agree. Fox handles this fine, but CBS refuses to adjust their schedule for the variable ending time of football, making it difficult to watch their programming.

• Matt says:

Fox, thankfully, has “The OT” in cases like these. I hate to say it, but CBS really should pre-empt “60 Minutes” on the Sundays where a football overrun is going to happen. Then again, I live in Atlanta and CBS usually airs the late afternoon game in our area to not interfere w/the Falcons, who usually start at 1.

• nospam says:

They need to move 60 mins. to another day, and use the 7 est. time slot for reruns like Fox.

13. James says:

I just wish they’d end the games at 8pm when their original TV series start, regardless of if the game’s over or not. They’ve got 3.5 hours already! I absolutely hated that I basically missed half of Good Wife’s third season because of stupid football running over by like an hour every week.

But whatever. I’ll prolly just set the DVR from like 9pm-midnight so I can get all of Good Wife.

• Jason Stoesz says:

Brilliant idea. Lets just pull the plug on a game that 30-40 million people are watching….so a couple people can watch the Good Wife on time.

• James says:

Maybe if this actually happened, they’d keep the game moving faster and get it done on time. We give you a certain amount of time and that’s how much you have. Or another suggestion is to not have so many damn commercials. I feel like there’s 10 minutes of commercials, then 3 minutes of game time, then another 10 minutes of commercials. That probably doesn’t help either.

• Karen says:

Totally agree with this! I love football, but TGW & Mentalist are favorites, and if they can’t switch the game to another cbs owned channel then just omit 60 min that week. My dvr is busy enough on Sundays as it is!!!

14. Joe says:

There should be an option for “doesn’t affect me at all because I don’t watch any CBS shows on Sunday night.” Can’t wait for football!

15. TigerNightmare says:

I wish CBS would just show reruns on football nights or put The Good Wife on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I don’t think I watch anything Wednesdays at 10.

16. David says:

I think I will just give up on trying to watch The Amazing Race. I will watch another network that doesn’t delay the start of their lineup every single week.

• Ava says:

This is unfortunately, my plan. I love TAR, it is the only network reality show that I watch. The constant pushing back of start times is beyond ridiculous though. Sometimes it doesn’t start until after 9! Football always runs over. Hey, NFL how about you instate a stop standing the frak around policy? Every time I watch football they are just standing around for 90% of the time.

17. Kari says:

I advocate everyone moving to Mountain or Pacific time so it’s not really an issue…

18. peter says:

”footbal” should be only two time slots instead of 3
    2pm and 5;30
    but i don’t live in US so that doesn’t make too much of a diference for me

19. CarolH says:

This just blows…having to figure out what time Amazing Race comes on is bad enough and now The Mentalist and CBS decides to make it even harder with delaying the start times…I would love to give up CBS altogether…they really do not care about the people who watch regular TV shows…all they are about is sports!!!!

20. GeoDiva says:

No worries for us here in Hawaii… The 2nd games start at 1045am and are done by 2-230pm.

21. LauraJ says:

I was crushed when CBS moved The Good Wife to Sundays. I stopped watching The Amazing Race because of the football delays and now I’m going to give up on The Good Wife. I don’t have a DVR and I watch other shows at 10PM. I was going for The Good Wife over ABC’s Revenge since I can watch Revenge online the next day, but with the football delays I might as well watch ABC live.

22. Alex says:

Ugh, this is a serious pain. Will set the DVR to record until midnight and hope it catches everything.

23. lll says:

If they cut 60 minutes out unitl midseason that will save fans of Amazing Race, Good Wife and the Mentalist a lot of headaches. Of course they won’t do it, but it would be nice.

• Matt says:

Or move “60 Minutes” to another night. In this DVR age, does it really matter when the show airs? That’s why NBC is putting “Community” on Friday nights.

• nospam says:

In the spring these shows get delayed too by the Watching Paint Dry tournaments. I believe its fans call it golf.

24. jo porter says:

a few years ago cbs had a service called eyelert. You signed up to be notified by email or text for an update when the football game was over and what time the shows would start–maybe cbs can think of doing that again—I have stopped watching cbs on sunday night-it is just too hard to find the start of the show.

• dan says:

During last Fall’s football season CBS ran a crawl on the bottom of the screen advising what time the next show would start. It was very helpful. In terms of DVRing the shows, simply add 30 minutes to each show and you should be fine.

25. Jenn Zellers says:

They could pre-empt 60 minutes during football season. If it’s THAT important, then run it on Saturdays!

• Tess says:

I agree…Or perhaps shorten it and call it 30 Minutes during the football season.

Seriously, they know the football games run over nine times out of ten during the season – this is a terrible decision to push back the start time. Course, they make more money off showing football than off of any of the shows that follow it on Sundays so they’ll never think to be kind to the fans of the rest of the Sunday lineup by actually having those shows start on time.

• TV Gord says:

60 Minutes has been one of CBS’s biggest hits on Sundays nights since the 60s. They certainly aren’t going to mess with that.

26. tim says:

They need to not air one show so that the 10p show is not so late. Here I thought that news would be better. wish dvr’s could pick up the new schedule.

27. CBS just does not care about anyone but NFL fans and 60 Minutes. If they really cared about regular viewers, they would move 60 minutes to 8pm and schedule a football show at 7pm, JUST DURING THE FOOTBALL SEASON!

• Jason Stoesz says:

Again, you act like they’re airing lawn darts or something. YOU may not like it, but the large majority of Americans do. Check the ratings, buddy. Numbers don’t lie. You can add the ratings for the entire Sunday Night lineup and it won’t equal ONE football game on a Sunday.

So, you’re whining that CBS (and FOX and NBC) actually care about their cash cow known as the NFL and tens of millions of viewers it brings?

• lilkunta says:

jason stoesz : I whining bc cbs IS NOT BEING SMART like Fox did, Fox would factor in OT in their schedule so the 7-8pm hour was just reruns so if football ran over no new shows was missed. BUt CBS refuses and schedules 60min @ 7, AR @ 8, GW @ 9. For football season 60min needs to bump 60min. Why. Bc it is the lowest rated show of sunday nught cbs show. Show 60 on another night.

28. Kelli says:

I missed parts of The Good Wife quite a few times last season because of the over runs. CBS is hurting their lineup for Sunday because of it but I understand football pays the bills. I suspect more people will just DVR an hour longer but then they are missed out getting the “live” ratings. I don’t remember ABC having this problem when they had Monday night football. I think they pushed the news back when the game ran over.

29. Chris says:

Can’t CBS just put a highlights show, get to 8pm for 60 Minutes, Good Wife and the Mentalist. Problem solved.

• Kathleen says:

This is my thought, too. Allow that 7 o’clock hour for overruns and if the game does not overrun show a repeat of 60 minutes or more sports coverage. Then start the new shows at 8pm. If the game only runs partially into 7 pm, just continue sports coverage until 8pm.

30. A says:

This will for sure help Revenge and all those stars they are lining up as guest roles in the Good Wife will be half put to waste with this delay thing AGAIN…CBS please just move Good Wife to a night where it won’t be delayed PLEASE!

31. Tahoe Mike says:

The only thing on TV after football on CBS is Sunday Night Football on NBC, what is the problem?

32. smuggy troll says:

Move the west coast or get a cable company that makes the shows available on demand the next day.

Like me!

33. Leo says:

Cancel football! The characters are one-dimensional, and it just screws up the tv lineup!

34. Donna says:

I just set up the DVR to tape the next two shows on CBS after Goodwife for the whole season. It’s not rocket science. That said, for those without DVR’s the least CBS can do is make the episodes of those shows available On Demand or online. That’s the part that pisses me off. You’d think CBS would want their viewers to be able to, you know….view.

35. J says:

My DVR’s been handling this since the begining, I just program it to tape three hours after the show.

36. Matt says:

The CBS crawls last season were very helpful, but then I was only recording THE GOOD WIFE. Now, with THE MENTALIST moving to Sundays (and not available On Demand with my cable company service), that’s going to expand not only into the 11 p.m. newscast but also into the time slot after that. With DVR space scarce during the fall season, it doesn’t make for a very viewer friendly solution.

37. Fox says:

If football was actually played in the time that it’s supposed to take there wouldn’t be a problem. But there’s a timeout every 30 seconds and the last two minutes of the game take 20 minutes. Ridiculous.

38. susela says:

I would prefer to watch TAR, The Good Wife, and The Mentalist live, but because of football I will tape all three and watch a different network live. (With OUAT and Revenge on also, Sunday has turned into an embarrassment of riches.) It’s not hard: just tape the first two as usual and tape the third to run one hour longer, and you’ll have all three shows in their entirety.

39. Ashley says:

Ha I gave up on trying to figure this out a long time ago I record from 8-1am and just fast forward through to what I want to watch

40. Karen says:

If CBS can cancel a show that was on for 72 yrs then they can cancel 60 mins. That show is nothing more than 3 segments of what we have all seen on CNN, FOX,MSNBC, or read online a month or year earlier anyway!
    We might love our football, but we love TGW & The Mentalist too, and the ratings for these shows will obviously be in the toilet because of the delays.

• Doug-H says:

60 Minutes is a very profitable show for CBS so it’s not going anywhere.. Same with Amazing Race… The Good Wife, OTH, will have problems next season because it will be up against Revenge which has a fair amount of good demos and of course SNF which is the ratings winner anyway on Sundays in the fall.. Thankfully, The Good Wife tends to become available pretty quickly On Demand on both Xfinity and Time Warner… I’m usually driving on Sunday nights anyway… Thank goodness of time shifting!!! Only downside is avoiding online commentary since TGW is followed closely by all major TV sites as well as other media spots…

• lilkunta says:

DougH; Where did u read the 60 is very profitable? Amongst the sunday shows; 60min, AR, GW, M, it gets the lowest overall rating and lowest 18-34 rating. MOVE 60 min DURING FOOTBALL SEASON.

41. David says:

i don’t watch anything on CBS Sundays. There are more interesting options on ABC, Fox, and cable.

42. Paul says:

Football is king. CBS needs to move 60 Minutes to 8pm. Move their other nonsense to 9 and 10. Cancel one of the three Sunday night shows( whichever draws the least viewers)

• Marc says:

I wish they’d just move The Amazing Race. I love the show and record (manually when have to when I see that football has ended) it for immediate viewing along with 60 Minutes each week. (I recorded The Good Wife and CSI: Miami for viewing later in the week and will do the same for The Mentalist.) But, The Amazing Race skews younger than The Good Wife and The Mentalist and much younger than 60 Minutes that it would do better on another night with younger lead in and out. Then, they can fill the time until 9 with 60 Minutes (using rerun segments when necessary) and keep the later shows on schedule, which is really needed in the DVR age.

43. Amanda says:

I hate football. I will just watch The Good Wife on On Demand like I did last year to avoid the hassle.

44. Vi says:

Guess I will watch ABC and pickup The Good Wife on demand. I record a lot and do not have room to record the whole night to work around football. Go ABC!

45. Kristin says:

I have way too many shows to watch/record on Sundays….recording over an hour affects what else I can watch. I wish that if a game ran over they would re-air the episodes affected in the middle of the night so my DVR could catch it. Hopefully The Good Wife will be available On Demand the whole year. Another option could be making it available On Demand as soon as the episode would normally be over. (Probably couldn\’t work with west coast airings.

46. Elyse says:

I’ve always set my DVR to record over for my Sunday CBS shows so there’s no change for me.

47. TV Gord says:

I think The Mentalist should have moved to Fridays, have 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race and The Good Wife follow football as they do now, and have a live show that runs from the end of The Good Wife to 11pm, either a bonus segment of 60 Minutes or an NFL weekend wrapup.

Personally, I’m in Canada, so I COULD watch the Canadian channels, but I prefer watching the American feed whenever possible, so I just record CBS all evening long, while also recording most of the Fox animated shows, and then catching what I like on ABC’s west coast feed (not to mention whatever I like on cable). Where there’s a will–and multiple recorders–there’s a way. :-)

48. Joy says:

I’m on the west coast (Canada) so I guess what I’ll do is switch to east coast time which thankfully I can do and DVR The Mentalist at 7pm or when ever it comes on late. TGW at 6pm or whenever it comes on late. I may have to give up Revenge on ABC which is a shame but Sundays also has the British show LEWIS on and I don’t want to miss that.
    I’m sure you all know but I’ll just put 7pm east here is 10pm there

49. You really make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually one thing which I believe I would by no means understand. It seems too complex and very vast for me. I am having a look forward to your next post, I’ll try to get the dangle of it!