Fall TV: The CW Sets Premiere Dates, Delaying Launches Until October

Following NBC and Fox, The CW is the third broadcast network to detail its fall TV premiere plan, which as previously announced won’t swing into action until October (so as to avoid the Big 4’s September crush).

RELATED | The CW Sets Premiere Dates for L.A. Complex Season 2, Collegiate Top Model and More

All told, the network’s game plan looks a little something like this, with new shows designated in ALL CAPS (click title for details):

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 2
8 pm Hart of Dixie

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3
9 pm  Supernatural

MONDAY, OCTOBER 8
8 pm 90210
9 pm Gossip Girl (Final season premiere)

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10
8 pm ARROW (Series Premiere)

RELATED | Fall Preview: TVLine’s Snapshot Guide to All the New Shows

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 11
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Series Premiere)

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16
9 pm EMILY OWENS, M.D. (Series Premiere)

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19
8 pm America’s Next Top Model: College Edition (premiering Aug. 24)
9 pm Nikita

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Ringer, The Secret Circle, One Tree Hill (which aired its series finale on April 4), H8R and Remodeled.

1. Megan says:

I may have given Emily Owens, MD a shot if they had gotten a different actress. No offense to her, but I don’t really care for her acting.

• Martina says:

Couldn’t agree more, her last 2 tv series, A Gifted Man & Off The Map didn’t last long, am guessing this won’t either.

• tim says:

I loved her in the good wife, she’s an amazing actress and Meryl streep’s daughter.

• French says:

Can’t agree more (even if the Meryl Streep’ daughter is not really a good argument). She needs a good writing.

2. Dean says:

A 2 hour premiere for Supernatural? I can get on board with that. At least with an October debut, all the CW shows will debut with higher ratings, assuming all the other network shows’ ratings have eroded a bit by then. Plus, it offsets those pesky midseason hiatuses by a few weeks.

• Dean says:

Nevermind, I read that wrong. I saw Supernatural premiering on one week and Arrow the next and assumed that it got a supersized premiere.

3. Isaac says:

We have to wait until OCTOBER for TVD?!?!

• Ava says:

Hopefully that means less breaks. TVD had really crappy scheduling this year. 2 weeks on 4 weeks off really took a lot of momentum out of the second half of the season. I generally think the last season was kind of boring but I hate to make that a final call because the timing was awful you rarely saw one episode right after the other.

• Isaac says:

Agreed. You’re right. And since TSC followed the same schedule, I wonder if that affected it’s ratings… or whatever the used to determine its cancellation. I’m still crushed about that.

• Teri Perez says:

I can’t believe you cancelled the secret circle. All the good shows never come back.

• Myrah says:

Seriously. This is beginning to irritate me. That last episode of The Secret Circle is such a cliff hanger. I was so excited for the next season only to be totally disappointed.

• angel says:

This really sucks! I caught the secret circle on Netflix and I Loved it! The end was such a cliff hanger. I loved the acting and the story line.. ending the show like that is lame :(

4. Elle says:

I’m surprised they aren’t starting Supernatural and Arrow on the same day.

5. Enduring crappy summer TV through June, July and August is bad enough and now several shows that I enjoy are pushed into October. When did October become premiere month? I was glad July is here because it meant I was one month closer to my favorite shows. Psych! I still have to wait 3 months. Bah.

• ZmaX says:

yeah it’s pretty frustrating, but actually back when the network used to be theWB, there were several times when the shows premiered in October.

Charmed, Smallville, Buffy, Felicity, Dawson’s Creek etc would occasionally premiere in early Oct.

But I’d rather have the shows start later than have an extra 4-5 weeks of annoying hiatuses.

6. I am really not sure about the new shows, Beauty and the Beast is a remake, Arrow is an adaptation, and Emily Owens M.D from the promo looks like a happier Grey’s Anatomy. Then GG and TVD are adaptations (even though I love and watch both) and 90210 is a remake too. Is there no creativity left at the CW? Also why did it ever stop being the WB (with the better rating and better shows) and turn into the CW? Because I have never quite understood this!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ARROW is good.

• Raven_Moon says:

They became The CW when they merged with UPN, I believe. I guess they thought they could be more successful if they rebranded themselves.

• shuayb says:

The WB became The CW when it merged with UPN in 2006. You right, The WB had better ratings with its shows than The CW. But that’s when Aaron Spelling, Sherman Palladino and a few good producers were welcomed at the network. They changed after they cancelled 7th Heaven, Charmed, Buffy and Angel. But Beauty and the Beast might turn out to be good. The CW will never match ratings of The Big Four.

• RichieOnTV says:

Creativity isn’t determined by whether something is or isn’t an adaptation or remake tbh. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Game Of Thrones, Homeland, Justified… all remakes / adaptations and all extremely creative – as is Nikita and TVD. Judging a show solely based on whether the concept is 100% original, instead of the quality of the show itself, makes no sense to me.

• Buffy was adapted a couple of years after the movie by the guy who wrote the movie, i wouldn’t really call it an adaptation, especially as the story follows on from the movie, its more of a continuance of his earlier idea!

• Miss-E87 says:

Tell ‘em!!! Buffy is one of my all-time favorite shows….along with all of Joss Whedon’s other shows 2 (Angel, Firefly, & Dollhouse)!!!

• And you right usually I give all TV a try and I will with these three, what gets me is when a network only orders remakes/adaptions thats when I wonder where the creativity is, especially as there probably is plenty out there, it seems to me the network wants to produce shows with an audience already there rather than build a new idea!

• portiaslegacy says:

The CW is struggling with the ratings. They only want too invest money in things that have a known fan following. A lot of Hollywood is in a similar situation.

• Brittney says:

Supernatural is original and AWESOME. Best show on the network.

7. Selena says:

CW is the pits of hell…. F**king stupid television

8. Vampire Diaries Obsessed says:

I have to wait for October for TVD? How will I survive without my Damon fix? LOL

• Ava says:

We’re rewatching the first two seasons on Netflix right now. This is what I’ve determined A.) damon is way way too good for Elena but I still kind of root for them. B.) Tyler is a douche who has had like 10 minutes where he was a good guy. C.) I will now and forever be Team Elijah

• Susy says:

I have been asking myself the same question since the CW schedule was revealed! I need my Damon fix too!

9. Liz says:

Can’t wait for October 2 & 11 for HOD, TVD, & B&TB.

10. Amanda says:

Are they at least going to re-air episodes of last season for all the show? Long time between finales and premieres.

11. Isaac says:

“Not returning next season: The Secret Circle” Every time I read this I die inside all over again.

• R says:

Still in the state of denial and disbelief at CW’s idiotic decision of cancelling such an awwesome and potentially most popular show of the network! I miss Faye!

• Patty says:

I know just what you mean :(

• murley says:

so true. worst cancellation of last season.

• A says:

I still am puzzled why The CW cancelled one of the best shows that they had. It was getting really good and had the potential to reach higher. RIP Secret Circle. :(

• Bertha says:

I totally agree truly upset that Secret Circle is not coming back . How can you possibily end a show the the other siblings showing up and than nothing. If you had to cancel a show let it be supernatural started off being a great show now no direction just mindless lines thrown together with no meaning. Had a great story line in the beginning but now it puts me to sleep. I mean boring with a capital B….

• Loren says:

I absolutlely and wholeheartedly agree 100% with everything you said here. I used to love the writing in Supernatural and now I barely watch it anymore because it’s definitely lost something.
        I became a big fan of Secret Circle even after I vowed I wouldn’t watch it. I got hooked and just found out here that it’s canceled. I am more than disappointed.

• angel says:

I’m totally with you on that! l was super anxious to see what happened with the circle being broke and everyone with their individual powers and the rest of the siblings showing up…

• Bertha says:

Well CW after reading all these post looks like you guys missed it on Secret Circle. So now the only reason I have to watch your channel is for Vampire Daries thank God someone there had sense not to cancel this show. You guys needs to have longer running times of your shows all these breaks is really hurting your ratings. From a viewers stand point you try to go up against the top prime time show there are. Let me help you. CBS prime time they have Hawaii 5-0 Monday nights NICS and NICS LA on Tuesday nights Wednesday nights Criminal Minds and CSI nothing that great on Thursday nights or Friday nights. So you really had Thursday nights covered for prime time with Vampires Daries and Secret Circle right behind it your lost. If I’m not mistaking one of the other networks tried to do a series Beauty and the Beast didn’t last long

12. Any info whether Nikita, Supernatural or 90210 will be extended to 23-24 eps this season again?

• Jarrod says:

Nikita got a standard 22. Supernatural got 23. 90210 I am unsure about it, as an episode order wasn’t released. I assume that they’ll probably give it the normal standard of 22, then again, they could only give it 13 and then extend it (similar to One Tree Hill) if the ratings go well.

13. Renee says:

Really looking forward to Arrow. Actually it is my most anticipated show of all the new ones.

14. Walter says:

I’m going to try to Arrow and Beauty & the Beast. Arrow because it looks like it’s awesome, and Beauty and the Beast out of loyalty to Kristin Kreuk. As for Mamie Gummer’s show, I can’t imagine it would find an audience; 1) because it looks just like Grey’s Anatomy for teenagers and 2) because it has a stupid name (Emily Owens, MD) it’s a mouthful. Also, the only reason I am going to give Supernatural one last chance is because Jeremy Carver is showrunner this season. Sera Gamble should NEVER have been allowed to get her hands on this show. She destroyed it.

15. Just says:

I thought in the other post about the CW it said TB’s ANTM was goint to premiere in August(like 24 or 27) is that a change…if so Why

16. Jackie says:

hmmm…Emily Owen premiering later means the CW will air all 13 episodes from The LAcomplex’s second season? I’m down for that!

17. Allison P says:

I should’ve expected this change because I feel like the CW pushed everything to the end of September last year. But it’s the most-watched channel on my TV each season, and I don’t think that will change.

18. Sg.Grant says:

I don’t really think this is a good idea. I feel like people will already have their new shows picked out on the major networks by the time the CW even gets started.

19. May says:

Couldn’t care less. I’m not watching anything on CW. I don’t really feel like checking out the new shows either. Too bad, I used to like their shows.

20. denuse walsh says:

I AM STILL WAITING CW WHERE IS THE AMAZING GENIUS’S SHELTER MARK SCHWHAN REMEMBER HIM HE GAVE YOUR NETWORK 9 YEARS OF GREATNESS ONE TREE HILL AND DON’T FORGET SOPHIA BUSH ROBERT BUCKLEY AUSTIN NICHOLS ALL MOVED ON TO NEW SHOWS THE ACTORS FROM OTH WERE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Brittney says:

YAY Supernatural gets a week earlier start date than most shows on the network. I hope this means we get 23 episodes again like last season.

22. Nancy says:

With all the complaints about the breaks on CW shows, does starting in October help. People were very upset when TSC was not renewed. One reason viewers wrote were the breaks. The network worked against the show.

23. some of these TB shows are seem pretty good and just delaying them is going to achieve a better premier audience.

24. anthrogrl says:

THIS SUCKS!!! WHAT CRUSH FROM THE BIG 4? I DON’T EVEN WATCH ANY OF THOSE CHANNELS SO NOW I’M FORCED TO WAIT EVEN LONGER FOR THE STUFF I DO WATCH?? WTF??

25. Thana says:

Ohhhhhh TVD my best series ever . This is too long . I have to wait but do what without my love Damon . I think the next season will be much more interesting because the transition of Elena . ohhh can not wait (DELENA FOR EVER ) but the secret circle is a good show too

26. dizzy1980 says:

still disappoint about secret circle.

27. Miss-E87 says:

Waiting til Oct. for Supernatural and TVD makes my <3 hurt :( I can wait for HOD & Nikita. Still sad about Ringer. I luv SMG <3<3<3! I think I will give Arrow a chance 'cause it looks cool, but IDK about Emily Owens, M.D. looks like it will get cancelled soon or who knows…it could be one of those sucky shows that everyone is amazed that it lasted. (plenty of those out there) I may watch a few episodes of Beauty&Beast, but only because of the Smallville alum, KK. Well thank God I have other shows to watch from now until then: Leverage, True Blood, Weeds, Teen Wolf, White Collar, Covert Affairs, Awkward, Burn Notice, Switched at Birth, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, Castle, New Girl, The Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, Fringe, Homeland, Dexter, The Mentalist, Raising Hope, Hawaii Five-0, and hopefully Psych won't start in Oct. like it did last year. And hopefully Fairly Legal will get a fair chance at a third season.

28. Paige says:

What about the Carrie diaries.

29. SharonSharon says:

Love Supernatural! Best looking men on tv!!!

30. tonya crawford says:

I am soooo disppointed to see that Ringer and The Secret Circle will not be returning to your line-up. Enjoyed those shows VERY much and watched every week(even re-runs). Glad that Hart of Dixie is there tho.

31. Keke says:

WOW!!! I cant beleave secret circle was cancelled I loved that show bt super excited about GG, TVD, and supernatural :)

32. dezi says:

I was so sad and disapointed when I saw thT seceret circe was canceld ugh ;(

33. kitty says:

I love Supernatural, it is my favorite show on tv. However, Secret Circle and Ringer were also among my favorites! I guess I will only be watching the CW for 1hour 1 night a week…..

34. Christy says:

I’m so sad Ringer and Secret Circle will not be returning…two of my favorite shows and the only CW shows I watched. I guess the CW is out for me. It’s ok though there are plenty of other great shows on other networks I’m excited about. During the season, I wait hopelessly every week for Revenge…used to the same for Ringer. :(

35. Cheryl Hendricks says:

You keep 90210 and “Dixie” but cancel Ringer, thats crap. that was one of my favorite shows last season!! I am so disappointed!

36. bree says:

Are these show schedule to play on that day from now on?? Supernatural used to play on Friday. But now its Wed. I’ve got THREE of my favorite shows playing Wed at 9 ( Law and Order SVU, Modern Family, and Supernatural) please tell me this will change!! I can’t record all at the same time, just Two.

37. Ms. Switzerland says:

I cannot believe the secret circle won’t be returning. We loved it there was a group night and we all got together to watch. It should have continued. I wanted to see what happened. Sad…I think its a mistake not bringing it back.

38. Jackie Loucks says:

I can’t believe you guys cancelled Ringer and Secret Circle. My daughters and I loved to watch those shows. Do you think they will ever come back?

39. upset says:

Omg! I am so disappointed that the Secret Circle and Ringer are not returning. What happened and what can be done to bring them back?

• Bertha says:

yes iam very upset about secret circle. I don’t understand how you can end a show with the other siblings showing up and just standing together

40. amy turcott says:

I am very upset that Ringer is not returning. That was so intents. I loved it.

41. t white says:

We love secret circle and are sad to see it go :-(

42. Laura Oliver says:

I don’t understand how networks choose to bring back or cancel shows, but every time I fall in love with a new show, they cancel it! I couldn’t wait to see what would happen on RINGER this year! What a bummer!!! What can we do to change networks’ minds regarding these decisions???

43. Tory says:

I am very upset that ringer is not coming back. I rarely watch TV and the show really captured my attention. It was an amazing show. How they could not bring it back yet air horrible ones is beyond me. I don’t have CW anymore but now that I know ringer will not be returning I could care less! Very highly upset ringer fan :(

44. Monica says:

Soooooo sad not to have Ringer coming back!! Huge fan & was so looking forward to what was going to happen next! BEST SHOW on CW! Disappointed!! :(

45. Marlene says:

Upset and disappointed that I won’t get to see what happens in The Secret Circle Season 2. I just came across the show on Netflix the other day and watched all the episodes in season 1. Now i’m thinking I should have never even bothered watching it if no 2nd season is coming out!!!

46. Charlene says:

Please bring back the secret circle I really liked that show really sad to hear its canceled

47. jade says:

Wow cw you really screwed up on this one….. I never watched cw …. ever….. until one Thursday night I stopped by a friends house and she was telling me about your AMAZING series The Secret Circle…… I was immediately sucked … and from the secret circle I had discovered the vampire diaries. I really like vamp diaries… but the you should not have cancelled the secret circle. It had a great story line and always had me guessing what was going to happen….. cw you suck……

48. Sheena says:

i am so crazy about Beauty and the Beast OMG. From the first episode was captivated and i look forward to it more than vampire diaries now (and i’m a big Vampire Diaries fan) i really love this show and i hope it stays around and doesn’t get cancelled. Jay Ryan is sooooooooooooooo HOT!! Keep up the good work.

49. Sarah Martin says:

I don’t understand why the networks don’t at least give the show notice so they can at least give us closure. Loved Secret Circle and RInger and both left extreme Season Finales. CW you are crazy for canceling both show. Secret Circle needs a movie venue like Serenity after Firefly. Would make a great movie!!!!!

50. joseph clampitt says:

it so sad when the cw get shows that are hits they canceled them if you don’t want to be on air anymore just pull the plug on all the shows secret circle is one of the best shows you had