Per TV Guide Magazine, the actor — who has also served as a writer and producer on the NBC comedy since its 2005 debut — is no longer under contract with series producer Universal TV, and as such has opted not to stay on board as a series regular.
Novak, however, is still scheduled to make recurring appearances in Season 9, and could possibly continue to write and direct episodes. His status change comes on the heels of Mindy Kaling’s Office exit (to star in the new Fox comedy The Mindy Project), the departure of James Spader and the promotion of Catherine Tate to series regular.
Ready for more today’s TV dish? Well…
• One Tree Hill/Hellcats alum Robbie Jones has booked a three-episode arc on USA Network’s Necessary Roughness, Zap2it reports, playing the Hawks’ hot new star — a wide receiver who butts heads with Mehcad Brooks’ TK. Jones’ stint is slated to air during the second batch of Season 2, airing this winter.
• Glee‘s Jane Lynch will host the Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne, taping Aug. 4 and airing Aug. 12.
• Breaking Bad isn’t just (finally) hitting up Comic-Con this year — they’re bringing along the premiere of their fifth and final season! Per the Los Angeles Times, the AMC drama will hold a special Season 5 opener screening at the Con on July 14, debuting it a full day ahead of its broadcast premiere.
• Syfy’s Face Off will premiere Season 3 in a new time slot — Tuesdays at 9/8c — starting Aug. 21.
• The women of Starz’ Boss — Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Nicole Forester, series newcomer Sanaa Lathan and Hannah Ware — are here to tease the “delicious” twists on tap for Season 2, premiering Aug. 17. Press PLAY:
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?