TVLine Items: B.J. Novak Reduces Office Hours, Tree Hill Vet to USA, Boss Ladies Dish and More

BJ Novak Leaving The Office 2012Dunder Mifflin will be seeing a lot less of temp exec druggie paper pusher Ryan Howard, as B.J. Novak won’t be returning to The Office full-time for its upcoming ninth season.

Per TV Guide Magazine, the actor — who has also served as a writer and producer on the NBC comedy since its 2005 debut — is no longer under contract with series producer Universal TV, and as such has opted not to stay on board as a series regular.

Novak, however, is still scheduled to make recurring appearances in Season 9, and could possibly continue to write and direct episodes. His status change comes on the heels of Mindy Kaling’s Office exit (to star in the new Fox comedy The Mindy Project), the departure of James Spader and the promotion of Catherine Tate to series regular.

RELATED | The Office Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning Next Season as a Series Regular!

Ready for more today’s TV dish? Well…

• One Tree Hill/Hellcats alum Robbie Jones has booked a three-episode arc on USA Network’s Necessary Roughness, Zap2it reports, playing the  Hawks’ hot new star — a wide receiver who butts heads with Mehcad Brooks’ TK. Jones’ stint is slated to air during the second batch of Season 2, airing this winter.

Glee‘s Jane Lynch will host the Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne, taping Aug. 4 and airing Aug. 12.

RELATED | Find Out Who Is Coming to Comic-Con — and When!

Breaking Bad isn’t just (finally) hitting up Comic-Con this year — they’re bringing along the premiere of their fifth and final season! Per the Los Angeles Times, the AMC drama will hold a special Season 5 opener screening at the Con on July 14, debuting it a full day ahead of its broadcast premiere.

Syfy’s Face Off will premiere Season 3 in a new time slot — Tuesdays at 9/8c — starting Aug. 21.

The women of Starz’ Boss — Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Nicole Forester, series newcomer Sanaa Lathan and Hannah Ware — are here to tease the “delicious” twists on tap for Season 2, premiering Aug. 17. Press PLAY:

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (17)

• i loved Robbie Jones (Q) on OTH!! his friendship with Jamie was one of the highlights for me. the 2 of them doing the soulja boy dance in their matching red capes never fails to make me smile :)

Comment by Maggie – June 27, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JUUUST end The Office already

Comment by Streed – June 27, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On any other network, the Office wouldn’t have survived more than a few years. How bad is NBC’s slate that this is still on.

Comment by Patrick – June 27, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The series has actually done very well. By its 5th season it was one of the highest rated programs on tv.

Comment by Samuel L. Chang – August 3, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of SyFy, any news on Haven’s 3rd season yet?

Comment by Alex – June 27, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Haven. It premieres Friday, September 21.

Comment by Velvet – June 27, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahaha, people are so sad, they get so worked up about something that doesn’t even matter to them, if you hate the office as you clearly do, just don’t frakking watch it, hahaha there are so very many shows you can watch that aren’t the office, yet you take time to express you want it to “juuuuuuust end”, just change the channel and let us who the show enjoy it in peace, hahaha you’ve got your jersey shore coming up :)

Comment by Alex – June 27, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Words that make me cringe: the promotion of Catherine Tate to series regular.

Comment by PAt – June 27, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Words that make me cringe: The Office is still on TV

Comment by ggny – June 27, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, I tried to hang in there after Michael left, but she is the worst. I’m done.

Comment by Mika – June 27, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Her character is HORRIBLE! I thought Robert California was bad until Nellie came in. I’m a bit of a loyalist to my shows so I’m gonna watch it ’til the end but it’s not a priority for live viewing.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – June 27, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOOD. Ryan was my least favorite part of the Office, after James Spader.

Comment by brandon – June 27, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i guess this makes sense with kelly’s departure. i hope that b.j. novak continues to write episodes though, as i always enjoy them.

Comment by murley – June 27, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Robbie Jones. I had the pleasure of meeting him while he was filming his final episode of One Tree Hill and he is just one of the most genuine, nice guys I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Wonderful actor too.

Comment by Captain – June 27, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy for my girl Sanaa Lathan on her new role and I’ll definitely be checking out Starz ‘Boss’

Comment by Monique – June 27, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ever since Steve Carell left,The Office has gone downhill.Michael’s last episode was also my last episode.Without him I couldn’t even sit through it anymore,He made the show.

Comment by Karen – June 29, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spader ruined all of season 8. Thank god andy was there to take over as a new Michael. Goofy, funny, etc. When Andy first appeared in the Stamford episodes I thought he was a douche and a jerk but now he’s pretty good. I give a lot of credit to Ed helms. He’s actually in blockbuster movies unlike mindy or BJ. And he never let that go to his head and think he’s too big for the small screen. Tate isnt as bad as spader IMO. I think that was the worst mistake the office EVER did. First he applied for regional manager and then “talked the CEO out of her job”. Like seriously we are supposed to believe that plot? You might have well said he’s an alien or the creature from the black lagoon because I never bought it, and everyone is supposed to be super intimidated from Robert California? He’s a middle age balding, overweight guy with glasses. Come on. He looks as threatening as a bill nye the science guy. I love mindy and wish her luck, but Kelly leaving the office will be like Maude leaving the Simpsons, I’m not sure anyone will really care too much.

Comment by 210 – August 7, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post