TV's Best Bad Boy Tourney Day 2: Leverage Vs. Supernatural! Firefly Vs. Torchwood!

You know they’re bad, they’re bad, really really bad.

Okay, maybe not bad bad, but at the very least a little bit naughty. Yep, we’re talking about the four gentlemen entering the ring on Day 2 of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament, a competition that celebrates 64 classic small-screen roles — from the heartbreakiest heartthrobs to the most deliciously dastardly criminals.

Today, you’ll have to choose between Supernatural‘s Dean Winchester and Leverage‘s Eliot Spencer, and then head to outer space for a showdown featuring Captain Malcolm ‘Mal’ Reynolds of Firefly and Captain Jack Harkness of Torchwood.

Every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against. (We also put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

If you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (104)

• Jack VS Mal… I… can’t… even… AAAAAAARGH! This is torture!

Comment by Ribac – June 26, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree not fair. You may have found the one guy I would choose over Captain Jack.

Comment by Erica – June 26, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jack would probably pick Mal too :-)

Comment by ultimate troll – June 26, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Captain Jack cannot die; therefore, he is the ultimate bad boy – who else can literally be blown to bits and rebuild his body out of the bits that are collected?! What is more bad a$$ than that?!

Comment by Tess – June 26, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That doesn’t make him bad assed… just means there is no risk in what he does.

Comment by Yankeedag – June 27, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rigged.

Comment by Keenan – June 26, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first one was piece of cake…. Elliot by a long shot (though voters didn’t agree). But Jack and Mal?????? Ye gads! How does one pick????

Comment by Liana in San Diego – June 26, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with you; Eliot for the win but Mal or Jack ):

Comment by Elle – June 28, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love both of them so since lots of people are voting for Mal, I voted for Jack instead. But pre-MD Jack. Seriously, pre-MD.

Comment by Jess – June 26, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I might even go so far as to say pre-Torchwood Jack. I mean, he’s sexy on both, but he was more fun on Doctor Who when he was irresponsible and sometimes criminal :)!

Comment by Gilda – June 27, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guess it does say Torchwood, but they’re the same character so it’s fine. He’s hot either way.

Comment by Gilda – June 27, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anything regarding Torchwood has to be considered pre-Miracle Day, because Miracle Day WAS NOT TORCHWOOD. Seriously, wtf was that show? It took away all the charm and wit of the original series, as well as 3/5ths of the original cast that everyone loved so much, and replaced it with generic American “government thriller” junk. It was awful.

Comment by Arthur – June 27, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • completely agree.

Comment by BabyFirefly – June 27, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know! have to go with Mal… but REALLY!!!

Comment by Samantha. – June 26, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know!!! how unfair!!

Comment by Alice – June 26, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it really is…I mean Jack could fight really dirty since he can’t be killed but Mal, Mal is so bloody clever

Comment by Camille P (@MalsDoxy) – June 26, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So totally not fair…right off the bat and you make me pick between Captain Jack and Cap’n Tightpants????? What kind of torture is this????? So not fair!

Comment by Lady K – June 27, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those are some tough match-ups! I had to go with Dean and Mal. But the Mal vs. Jack one was REALLY tough.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – June 26, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you only my tough one was Dean vs. Eliot. But, I had to give it to Dean only because he fought against the devil and lived to tell about it.

Comment by elr – June 26, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For me Alastair(the Christopher Heyerdahl one) was much scarier than Lucifer, but I also went with Dean. It will ALWAYS be Dean for me.

Comment by elainecleo – June 27, 2012 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Choosing between Jensen Ackles and Christian Kane is difficult. I have to vote for both. Christian Kane also sings and plays guitar. I saw him last year in Vegas. He is awesome!

Comment by Velvet – June 26, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jensen Ackles sings and plays guitar(not professionally but he can do it, in fact he and Christian Kane are friends, you can find a vid from Kane’s b-day concert a few years ago where Jensen gets on stage with Aldis Hodge and some others and sings with him:)

Comment by Ema – June 26, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • WHERE IS THIS VIDEO?

Comment by Gilda – June 27, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Do a youtube search for Jensen Ackles singing, there are several posted.

Comment by elainecleo – June 27, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Re: “Jensen Ackles sings and plays guitar(not professionally but …”

Depends on your definition of “professional”. I don’t know that he’s “pursuing a career” in singing, but he’s got professional “cred” as a backup singer on several of Steve Carlson’s recordings. Steve says Jensen’s got a great ear for harmony ( I agree), and Steve should know since he harmonizes with Christian in their band Kane.

Comment by okiecam – July 2, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my heart melted when christian sang on the show, he was soo good!! i hope he sings again this season! he’s also a total badass, so that doesn’t hurt either :)

Comment by Maggie – June 26, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Nathan (ever since OLTL) but Jack Harkness is a bad ass mofo! If you consider how many times he’s been murdered yet continues to fight the good fight., there’s no question.

Comment by zakspeak – June 26, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Firefly vs Torchwood?! You cannot put Joss Whedon against Russell T Davis… It’s too unfair! That’s like asking for people to vote for their favorite reincarnation of the Doctor.

Comment by Manie – June 26, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ten, the answer is ten.

Comment by collegecanine – June 26, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed.

Comment by Diogo Silva – June 26, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely Ten, but Eleven is good too.

Comment by jake – June 26, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eleven.

Comment by Amy – June 26, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ten

Comment by Rory – June 26, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ten

Comment by Matt Smith – June 27, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ha! I like what you did there.

Comment by Ten – June 27, 2012 08:37 AM PDT
  • Choosing between Dean and Eliot is just cruel!

Comment by Linda – June 26, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, but Eliot I had to go with Eliot. It’s funny because I’ve heard those two actors are actually really good friends.

Comment by Sally – June 26, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! Especially since jensen and Christian are really good friends. I had to go with Dean but I love Eliot too.

Comment by Mickey – June 26, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes totally unfair re mal and cpt jack new vote please

Comment by anya harris 2 – June 26, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal versus jack was tough,
    But I chose Jack because he’d be much more liberal with dishing out the bad boy lovin’.

Comment by Juan – June 26, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eliot v. Dean is so mean.

Comment by Meg – June 26, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Mal all the way!!!!

Comment by Amy – June 26, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can`t, i just can`t. how can i choose between my two favorite captains?

Comment by SsvenjaE – June 26, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sheesh, this is like the recent BBCA poll that pitted David Tennant against Benedict Cumberbatch!

Polls are CRUEL! ;-)

(Eliot & Jack for me, tho)

Comment by JP – June 26, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh so glad I didn’t see that poll…. I’d be hard pressed to choose. Love them both!

Comment by Liana in San Diego – June 26, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean & Jack. Without hesitation. Even though I lalso ove the other two;)

Comment by JustineK – June 26, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Captain Mal on Firefly but wasn’t Jayne the true “Bad Boy?”

Comment by Ali – June 26, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You got a point. Mal was the Captain, so had to lead and make tough choices – but Jayne was the bad boy.

Comment by okiecam – June 26, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack doesn’t deserve to get out so early! But I know the Firefly fans will descend…

Comment by Emma – June 26, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, Leverage starts Sunday, July 15!

Comment by Velvet – June 26, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean & Mal (and their matchup is going to be very interesting – two big fan faves head-to-head this early on?)

Comment by Temis – June 26, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Captain Jack for me.

Comment by DeanFTW – June 26, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both of those are fricken hard!

Comment by Renee – June 26, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that hurt but really, the bestest of the bad boys – all of them – Capt Mal and his pretty bonnet.

Comment by Kirstin E. Jewell – June 26, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal versus Jack is horribly unfair. I guess it has to be Mal, but it was painful for me to vote against Jack.

Comment by Becky – June 26, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG that’s a tough one! Dean vs. Elliot??!!! Can’t I just have both??

Comment by Maro – June 26, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both….Yes please!!!!

Comment by Spikesgrl – June 27, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesterday I didn’t care about any of the choices in the two match-ups, today you put 4 of my favorite characters against each other. Who decides these things? Looking at your bracket these four might have been my final four…its unfair

Comment by casey – June 26, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean and Captain Jack all the way!!!!!!

Comment by Dee – June 26, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 64 people and not a single one of them is Dan Scott? Da heck?

Comment by Rob – June 26, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the above. I vote Jared Padalecki.

Comment by Michelle – June 26, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jared (or Sam) isn’t really a bad boy, though. More nerd, goody-two shoes, puppy-eyed person :P

Comment by ninamags – June 26, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sam isn’t really all those anymore either. I think Sam and Dean are on even ground, either they both are bad boys or both are good guys. What makes Dean more of a ‘bad boy’ this season than Sam?

Comment by Elle – June 26, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That bad ass speech he gave to Dick Roman, in Death’s Door. Dean isn’t above threatening something he knows could kill him in a nano-second. It was pretty cool.

Comment by Nia – July 6, 2012 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree, badass Dean is a winner.

Comment by Linda – July 6, 2012 03:59 AM PDT
          • Dean was perfectly safe in that talk with Dick, he had already pointed out all the people watching and Dick was not going to do anything. I loved it, very hot.

Comment by elainecleo – July 6, 2012 05:11 AM PDT
  • MAL!

Comment by Ladybug Girl – June 26, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Making a girl choose between Captain Mal and Captain Jack? Cruel!

Comment by Ashley – June 26, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christian Kane— the best bad guy turned good around…:) Leverage is best show on tv!

Comment by mentdijinn – June 26, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon Kaniacs, we know who the bigest badass on tv; Eliot Spencer of course.

Comment by Beth Kredel – June 26, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah!!!! How do you chose between the Captains?!?! Just rude to put Jack and Mal against each other. Gotta go with Jack though, he is bad-assiest IMHO

Comment by Nikki – June 26, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is just all kinds of wrong putting Jensen against Christian!!! My two favorite men against each other……..Gotta go with Christian just cause Jensen wins everything!!!

Comment by Spikesgrl – June 26, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack would have been more of a bad ass if he had fired Gwen Cooper. Jack had the patience of a saint to put up with her.

Comment by Ryan – June 26, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. Gwen is one of the worst – can’t take orders, used to treat Rhys like crap, never has a thing bad happen to her, and such a Mary Sue.

Comment by Arthur – June 27, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had to abstain on the Mal vs Jack one. I just can’t choose one over the other!

Comment by Allison P – June 26, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaus vs. Spike, and Ryan Atwood vs. Logan Echolls! No fair! Half these pairings I don’t even care about, and you pair those two sets together? You’re killing me!

Comment by Miranda – June 26, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But…but…Mal and Jack! I cant!

Comment by Gilda – June 26, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Dean and Mal but I don’t see how you can put Dean Winchester against the guy from leverage (don’t watch leverage) They are not even in the same ball park. And the other two are also opposites. What context do you mean ‘bad boys? Dean may be a bad boy with the ladies but he fights ‘monsters’ and saves the world on a regular bais with his brother Sam and a nerdy (nutty at the moment) Angel – Leverage is about running cons to stop bad people as far as I know. The same thing for the two Sci Fi shows – what made the captains ‘bad boys’? Mal ran a ‘business’ in a very distant future and he was a soldier who fought for a just cause, and Captain Jack was continually saving the earth from aliens and he could live forever.

Comment by Mrs. Peele – June 26, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eliot, the guy from Leverage, is the “hitter”; he beats people up for a living, and is awesome at it (and I’m not talking knocking out a few guys in a bar fight). And he’s a little bit of a bad boy with the ladies. You should really check it out – it’s a great show! Christian Kane (Eliot) was on the show Angel, but his character on Leverage is the polar-opposite from that. And Jensen and Christian are actually good friends. *Not arguing with your vote, go with what you know/like, but you should really check out the show – it’s a lot of fun:)

Comment by Dana – June 26, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first one is a piece of cake, Elliot for sure! Have you seen the intensity and focus this guy has in a fight? He’s not acting; this is real!
    The second choice is a little more difficult, I confess, I haven’t watched Torchwood. (I know, I know), but Nathan is by far one of favourite tv actors, being a bad ass with a grin. So …

Comment by Cherish – June 26, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though I love Dean, I’m sorry but its Eliot all the way!! And come on Mal vs Jack??? It’s not even a contest!!!!!

Comment by Jennifer Silverwood Young – June 26, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I call shennigans if Mal doesn’t walk away with this whole thing! Captain Tightpants FTW!

Comment by mountain_girl – June 26, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is captain mal REALLY a bad boy?? i mean, REEAAALLLYYY?????

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 26, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Some of these first round match-ups seem like they should be way further along, like the quarter finals. I think they should have seeded the bracket much differently in order to build towards some of these instead of just throwing them out there right at the start.

Comment by The Squatch – June 26, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for not making me choose between Mal and Dean (yet). I was dreading that when I saw the picture…

Comment by Browncoat Crowley – June 26, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First off Dean Winchester all the way. Now pitting Mal Reynolds against Capt. Jack is plain mean, but I’d take Mal anyway.

Comment by rowan77 – June 26, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will there be a bad girls’ edition at some point?

Comment by Emgee – June 27, 2012 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care who you put up against Dean Winchester, he will always get my vote. Went with Capt Tightpants also, loved Firefly.

Comment by elainecleo – June 27, 2012 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This poll doesn’t appear to be working. I have a hard time believeing that the percentages are the exact same from two days ago! Neither one seems to change since I voted 2 days ago.

Eliot vs. Dean is a harsh one. There are SO many cross over fans from Supernatural and Leverage. Also you’re putting a huge network fandom – Supernatural – up against a smaller cable fandom – Leverage. Its a tough call because Dean has fought demons and angels etc but he needs a lot of help from his brother & an angel. Not to mention the fact he’s died a couple of times (or more) Eliot can clear a room full armed men by himself without a scratch on him so I’m going to go with him and his bulletproof hair!

Comment by AliKat7 – June 27, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dean nuked a whole houseful of Vampires single-handedly!!! So much for ‘needing a lot of help’!

Comment by Nic J A Winchester – June 27, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was a vampire with superhuman strength at the time. lol

Comment by Ali Kat – June 27, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean is the hottest man on television and one of the best characters! Dean all the way!

Comment by Casey – June 27, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so not fair! How do I even pick any of the four over the other ones?!

Comment by Moryssa – June 27, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post