Smash Season 2 Casting Exclusive: Will the New Guy Have the Write Stuff?

Smash Cast ChangesIt turns out that not all the young’uns on Smash have dreams to croon on stage in the spotlight. Some just want their names in the Playbill.

TVLine has learned exclusively that NBC’s musical drama has added theater vet Andy Mientus to its Season 2 ensemble, in the series regular role of Kyle, a poor kid from Brooklyn with dreams of writing for Broadway.

Kyle is also best friends with Jimmy, another Brooklynite/Season 2 arrival to be played by Newsies‘ Tony-nominated Jeremy Jordan.

RELATED | Jennifer Hudson Gets Smash‘d, Joins Season 2 Cast For Multi-Episode Arc

A newcomer to TV, Mientus’ Smash-worthy credits include a stint as Hansche in the U.S. tour of Spring Awakening and a role in the recently closed Off-Broadway revival of the Stephen King-inspired Carrie.

Smash Season 2 — which will also be adding Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson while subtracting Ellis, Dev, Julia’s hubby Frank and Michael Swift (and ditching Julia’s scarves) — is set to premiere at midseason.

Comments (36)

• So basically, if you’ve never been on Idol or Broadway, you have no hope of landing a role on this show. Good to know.

Comment by Sils – June 26, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So what? The show’s about Broadway, the audience is generally Broadway enthusiasts, why shouldn’t they cast people who those fans know? I, for one, am glad Broadway stars are getting an avenue to perform on TV. Glee did it for Lea Michele and a few others, Smash is opening the doors for some A-grade talent.

Comment by joe – June 26, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And?? haha…This is a show with a cast of talented singers…it isn’t Glee which has it’s share of autoned to hell singers or embarrassing competition shows. No Smash is embarrassing all on it’s own.

Comment by Josh – June 26, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so what’s wrong with casting highly talented actors for the show?

Comment by huwaaaat?! – June 26, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • whats wrong with talent? Personally I love that the show is casting tons of broadway vets, it gives it more authenticity and shows off just how talented these performers are

Comment by jenna – June 26, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cast of smash I would like to be marylin monroe

Comment by Elizabeth Ann Clune – February 18, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you watched the recent telecast of The Tony Awards, it’s amazing how many big time (Superstar) movie and TV stars are currently appearing on Broadway. SMASH would be so lucky to have any one of them in the cast. Not because they are on Broadway, but because they are extremely talented actors.

Comment by Dave Cohn – June 26, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Broadway shows love to cast famous Hollywood actors, sometimes because they’re extraordinarily good. Sadly, other times they are cast not because they are they have any talent, but because they have name recognition. A couple of particularly atrocious examples of this that are unfortunately seared into my memory were Jason Patric as Brick in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” and Delta Burke as Mrs. Meers in “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” I, for one, think SMASH is damn lucky to have a cast comprising so many great Broadway talents who were previously unknown to TV audiences.

Comment by Judith Mulvaney – June 27, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andy is an incredible performer. I saw him in a show at NYMF last year and he deserved all of the praise he received.

He’s going to be great! I wasn’t sure how I felt about the show at the end of the season, but with Ellis (and many others) gone and the additions of Jeremy Jordan and Andy, I’m willing to give it another chance.

Comment by Kathleen – June 26, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m getting more and more excited about this show than I was in the first season.

Comment by tim – June 26, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Smash and can’t wait for season 2…so glad Ellis and Dev are gone!

Comment by kristy – June 26, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Noooo. I liked Dev and loved Frank. They can’t go!!!! Ellis can go.

Comment by Jenny – September 9, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Smash to return and so happy Katherine McPhee is finally getting recognized for the great talent she is.

Comment by Ann – June 26, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I loved her in American Idol! What happened to Taylor Hicks anyway? But… I love Dev! And I don’t want “Iowa” without her “Britain!”

Comment by Lenore Collman – August 1, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE SMASH! I think it is the perfect blend of music and story telling. While the exploration of all the interpersonal relationships may not have worked ie: Dev and Karen. I loved the rivalry between Karen and Ivy, Tom and Julia and others. If you don’t like the show- it’s simple don’t watch. For me, I can’t wait for it to come back.

Comment by Linda – June 26, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so in total agreement with your assement. Can’t wait for season 2.

Comment by Barb – June 26, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like good casting … Broadway actors do bring a sense of authenticity to the show. I’m getting really excited about this show! Love SMASH! Loved the Tony Award Show as well!

Comment by JAO – June 26, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they taking Frank off? I like the family dynamic between Julia and Frank.

Comment by RLC – June 26, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I love Frank. The son can go. Won’t miss him. I’d actually rather keep Frank than Julia. Ugh. She’s awful.

Comment by Ladybug Girl – June 26, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed, RLC! Frank and Angelica’s bartender were among the few ‘ non-performer’ characters in the show and provided a little balance. I like that Frank valued teaching and loved his son. He grounded Julia. Now that Dev’s gone, there won’t be a political character. So will all the roles be actors/singers/dancers/producers, etc.? I suppose that will work, since it IS about show business.

Comment by Linda C. – June 26, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *hanscheN

if you’re going to credit someone, credit them correctly…

Comment by GMQ – June 26, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The scarves aren’t what’s wrong with the Julia character.

Comment by Ladybug Girl – June 26, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Can´t wait for season 2. I guess this new kid will give Tom & Julia a run for the money.
    So happy Dev and Ellis are gone!
    I cannot wait to see the story of Karen and Derek evolve now.
    I love them together!

Comment by Titina – June 26, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, I follow it from Italy. I love Katarine McPhee, she is a great singer and also a good actress and dancer. Singing she makes magic in the air. The song “Don’t forget me” is one of the most terrific I ever heard. Can’t wait for season 2.

Comment by Monica – June 26, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was definitely HanscheN, TVLine…

Comment by RDJ – June 26, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s “cute” but I was hoping they would bring in another “HOT/SEXY” gay guy since they got rid of the hottest guy on the show (John the lawyer). :(

Comment by F – June 26, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go look at other pictures of Andy,I can assure you he is hot/sexy! ;)

Comment by jen – June 26, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question. Did they change the name of the characters they were casting for? Because I recall the character that was be described originally being named Joe. I know names usually wind up changing but I was just curious.

Comment by Paige – June 26, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the Broadway babies WAY more than the Idol cast offs!!!!!

Comment by TJ – June 26, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw that Andy joined the cast,I practically broke down in tears. He is soo talented and I love him soo much! & He has been in FAR more things than in Carrie & Spring Awakening…He has been in Academy(which was completly amazing),Hair,Big River,Crazy Just Like Me,Rent,February House,& Shine! I am proud to say that yes,I have seen him live,and yes he is amazing!! CONGRATS ANDY!! With him AND Jeremy Jordan in the cast,the show will be 100000X better!! I love this show for casting Andy!! <33333 :D

Comment by jen – June 26, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uber excited! I saw Andy when he was doing the SA tour in Toronto, the same place I met Megan Hilty when she was doing the Wicked tour.

Comment by Kristin – June 26, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there something intrinsically wrong with casting people from either Idol or Broadway? To have been through the wringer of settings like that, I’d say these people would have to have a lot of talent and/or charisma or something, so what’s the problem? Some people just have to have something to crab about. I can’t imagine where they’re going in Season Two but can’t wait to find out. I am a total, ah, Smash-head? Do we have a cute name for Smash fans?

Comment by groucho – June 26, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved SMASH last year but I’m not thrilled with that I’m seeing for this year. I think NBC made a bad choice with the new showrunner. He has no Broadway experience and running Gossip Girl is NOT a recommendation – SMASH is a smarter, more sophisticated show (or at least it was) and I don’t want to see it turned into GG do Broadway!

Plus, what is the guy from Newsies playing? He’s too young and doesn’t have the edge to play DiMaggio and Jennifer Hudson? If they put her in contention for Marilyn I’ll scream! What’s next? Pierce Brosnan as MLK?

Comment by Casey – June 27, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash has become my favourite show this season! I love that Dev and Ellis are gone, but I wish Frank would stay… Kat McPhee and Jack Davenport have an INSANE CHEMISTRY on screen! Can’t wait to see them together!!!

Comment by Aninha Morais – June 27, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand
    your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic.
    I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like
    what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still
    care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you.
    This is really a wonderful site.

Comment by ครีมหน้าขาว – November 16, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post