The Good Wife: Nathan Lane to Recur in Season 4 as a Big Headache for [Spoiler]

The Good Wife continues to add some very good talent to its Season 4 ranks.

On the heels of casting ER alum Maura Tierney, Broadway vet Kristin Chenoweth and British actor Marc Warren (as Kalinda’s ex) in recurring roles for its upcoming season, the acclaimed CBS drama has recruited two-time Tony Award winner/three-time Emmy nominee Nathan Lane to appear in multiple episodes.

UPDATE: Lane will play a bean-counter assigned by the bank to trim the fat at Lockhart & Gardner, which in the season finale lost one of its biggest clients, and get the firm back to fiscal health. As such, he will find himself at odds with Will, Diane and others at the firm.

Lane’s most recent TV gigs include the role of Pepper Saltzman on Modern Family and Jack Donaghy’s brother Eddie on 30 Rock.

The Good Wife‘s Season 4 launch, as with all CBS premiere dates, has yet to be announced, though the show will continue to air Sundays at 9/8c.

1. Craig says:

You know that he was the original choice for the Alan Cumming part, right? Producers and casting director have said so

• moobear says:

Wow, I didn’t know that, I love Lane, but I love Alan Cumming more and when you couple him with Parker Posey, I’m in snooty NYC film heaven…..though I live on the west coast and prefer camping over the Ritz :)

2. Dennis says:

Wow, CBS is really pulling out all the stops to make sure they have win over ABC’s Revenge Sunday nights.

Revenge better add some amazing actors soon! Oh wait, it already has the best cast ever! :)

• Joe says:

I fully expect them to announce Emily’s mom as some A-list actress. That said, all this casting news for Good Wife is making me want to check it out.

• I’ve been rooting for Holly Hunter for the Revenge role from Day 1. She’s A-List, the exact same age as Madeleine Stowe and she has done TV work before.

Loving all the casting news for The Good Wife. Hope they resist the urge of doing a musical episode just because they’ve got Chenoweth and Lane though.

3. N says:

Forget the Good Wife. Give me some excellent Revenge!

• nikki says:

After the nonsense season 3, I am on the Revenge train. The only way I’ll watch The Good Wife again is if they cast Meryl Streep AND Jack Nicholson. Otherwise goodbye Josh Charles and hello Josh Bowman.

4. big cheddar says:

I hope Nathan Lane makes a return trip to 30 Rock before it ends its run. I’d love to see the Donaughy clan together one more time.

5. Amy says:

I keep thinking these are Smash casting bits since Nathan Lane and Kristin Chenoweth are huge Broadway vets, but NBC just isn’t that smart.

6. K says:

I personally find Nathan Lane and Christen Chenoweth annoying so I can only hope they don’t cause me to turn Good Wife off.

• Dick Whitman says:

I kinda hated Alan Cumming but the outstanding writing on TGW has made me forget how annoying I used to find him.

• Leah says:

I thought I was the only one who found Chenoweth annoying! I really like Lane, however. I don’t deny she is a pretty good actress, but anytime she is being interviewed on tv, I have serious rage issues.

7. D_dets says:

Is this gonna be a daily thing now with them? Not that I’m complaining or anything; the more great guest stars the better.

8. bob says:

yay Nathan Lane!!!! awesome!

9. Ella says:

Not sure why they cast amazing stars like Chenowith and Lane, and then some random for the pivotal role of Kalinda’s husband.

• shizzzy says:

Because Kalinda’s husband will probably be sticking around much longer than Chenoweth and Lane in their roles.

• Lea says:

Just because you don’t know Marc Warren it doesn’t mean that he’s “some random”. The makers of TGW have proven in the past that they have an eye for excellent casting, so how about a little faith? And by the way, virtually all the actors were “randoms” at some point. I think you should just wait and see.

• Saint Alicia says:

It’s actually very shrewd/smart that they cast some “random” (really, “lesser-known”) actor because he doesn’t bring any expectations or “baggage” to the role; people can just absorb the character. Fans dream casting someone like Idris Elba for the part obviously are projecting their own opinions/desires onto the character; I’m glad the show didn’t go down that road.

10. SJ says:

I love The Good Wife, don’t get me wrong, but this is getting out of hand. In the span of two days they’ve announced four major recurring roles for the upcoming season, not to mention that Amy Sedaris, Jill Flint, Parker Posey, Matthew Perry et al. will almost certainly be back too. And let’s not forget that the show’s main cast boasts 10, including the kids, Peter and Jackie (and yes, I know the latter two are not regulars but still). It’s starting to get a little crowded on TGW.

• I understand but I think these are roles that are necessary to the story that they have started. They need Matthew Perry as an opponent and if they want a political story line to seem realistic, they need reporters and supporters. The main cast is only 6 people: Peter, Jackie and the kids aren’t always in every episode. There has been no word on Amy Sedaris, Jill Flint or Parker Posey. But none of the have to come back if they don’t have the time (though they made it seem that Flint would be back for a Bishop story line at some point.)
      TGW has always used their time wisely so I don’t think it’s a big deal. Just because they have new characters, and famous people playing them, doesn’t mean that they’ll have to be in every second of the episode.

• Saint Alicia says:

Agreed, I really hope they cool it with the new characters. I watch the show for the original players not for the increasingly rampant stunt-casting.

11. Alex says:

Nathan Lane?!?!? Kristen Chenoweth?!?!? Count me in! :D I missed a good portion of The Good Wife last year because of football and because I was annoyed that it was on Sundays but I’ll try to make a better effort to watch it next season. :)

12. Leo says:

Do people mean it when they say they are gonna watch Revenge over The Good Wife? Nonsense!! Don’t take me wrong I love both show and I was piss off when they move Revenge cause it’s going to compete with TGW but seriously, The Good Wife has the best casting in years, excellent guest actors, it’s perfectly written and more.. The Good Wife beat Revenge up! And now they are adding this amazing actors… Puff I will see revenge later!

13. noa says:

the great casting news just keep on coming. please make it September already!

14. Tee says:

TGW consistently has amazing guest stars, and I’m sure these new folks will be no exception. But starting to wonder how much time they’re going to have to devote to all their regular characters too.

Though less time with the Florrick kids is always a good thing.

15. TigerNightmare says:

I love Kristin but Nathan Lane is so hammy and overacted in everything I’ve seen him in. I still feel traumatized by that sitcom he had ages ago. I think it was called Encore, which is something I’m glad the show didn’t get.

16. bobby says:

I hate that revenge and the good wife both come on at 8:00 on sundays I wish that one came on at 8 then the other one at 9 so I can watch both its going to be a tough choice because I love both shows.

17. Derek says:

Nathan Lane on Good Wife?? FAN-FREAK’N-TASTIC!!!

I love Nathan Lane! One of my Fave character actors around. Loved him in The Bird Cage and also on Modern Family.

Good for him to land this role! He deserves it.

I am not one to care about meeting actors… a job’s a job…. but Nathan? Well yup! Would love to say hi to him.

I think he’d find my and my husband sweet! ;-)

18. Alice says:

I’m tired of that amazingly crappy race bleeding over into TGW! Timer set on DVR for a reason, and it’s not for CBS to mess with!