TV's Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tourney Begins With Faves from Gossip, Gilmore, Felicity & More

Bad is beautiful — especially when it comes to our favorite television characters. And that’s why TVLine is kicking off TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament, a competition that celebrates 64 classic small-screen roles — from the most hard-to-handle heartthrobs to the most deliciously wicked criminals.

What makes a great bad boy? Is he dark and a little bit dangerous? A good guy with a naughty, maybe even promiscuous streak? Could he be truly evil, but nevertheless tough to root against? We’d say any/all of the above traits makes a fella eligible for our tourney.

Today we kick things off with a group of guys that fall under the “crush on at your own risk” category: Gossip Girl‘s Chuck Bass battles Gilmore Girls‘ Jess Mariano, while Felicity‘s Ben Covington faces a showdown against Queer as Folk‘s Brian Kinney.

And every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (135)

• Um, the picture for Dylan McKay is Brandon Walsh…time to fire your interns :p

Comment by Sarah – June 25, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixed!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 25, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • good….cause I can’t wait to vote for the broodiest bad boy of them all :o)

Comment by Sarah – June 25, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brian Kinney – decadent, unapologetic, lecherous, irresistible, and vain. Also: hot. Yes, please.

Comment by Pop Vulture – June 25, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • comparing Brian Kinney to Ben from Felicity? Seriously???

Comment by Ashley – June 25, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts EXACTLY! Ben was a wimp compared to Brian. Sadly, Queer As Folk wasn’t as available to viewers as Felicity, so he’s gonna lose. :-( Brian deserves to at least get to the third rung in this game.

Comment by Kvivik – June 25, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Voters obviously have never watched 30 seconds of QAF. The Brian Kinney character puts bad boy on a whole other level. Ben Covington’s not even a bad boy, where the these people brought up in a convent.

Comment by Vestcey – June 28, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is no hotter “bad boy” on TV than Brian Kinney. I might need to pop in a QAF DVD when I get home tonight!!

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I think most people are voting for Milo the actor instead of Ben the character because otherwise I don’t get how he could be winning. After the way the last tourneys went though I’m not surprised…

Comment by Brendan – June 25, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! Why even hold the contest? As some have said below, not as many people will know Brian as well as Ben. But those of us who are QAF fans know Brian Kinney is the ultimate bad boy EVER.

Comment by Olivia – June 25, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The bottom left bracket is stacked

Comment by Breck – June 25, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dean Winchester vs Eliot Spencer?! You’re killin me smalls!

Comment by Danielle – June 25, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummmm….where is Sawyer from Lost?

Comment by Amyb – June 25, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the right side against the guy from Alias…

Comment by Heather – June 25, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s on the top right side of the bracket

Comment by Q – June 25, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did we realize that Joshua Jackson is on here twice? Is that ‘legal’? And how is Scott Speedpay Evil?
    And Riggins vs Jordan? Not cool!

Comment by Heather – June 25, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So is Julian McMahon, and his Nip/Tuck character is squaring off against his Charmed character. He wins either way.
      And poor Joshua is going to get his rear punted in BOTH brackets. Bishop is NOTHING in ‘bad boy’-dom compared to John Reese.
      Also…unfair to put Rumple vs Baltar. :-(

Comment by Kvivik – June 25, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass, all day, every day.

Comment by MPD – June 25, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please!

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – June 25, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess you guys just figured “ah, screw him” when pitting Cary Agos against House? That was seriously the best match you could come up with for each of them at this level… ¬__¬

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 25, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cole Turner VS Christian Troy :D

Touche!

Comment by Ribac – June 25, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, that’s my favorite matchup so far! I do wonder if there might be a TVLine bloodbath if Spike vs. Angel happens…

This will hopefully be a fun one that lacks wish-it-were-playful-but-these-people-are-for-real comments section infighting.

I wonder if the ladies bracket will be “bad girls”/”vixens”/other…

Comment by Winnie – June 25, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s evil! Evil is what it is! I can’t choose between the two of them! Julian McMahon plays bad boys oh so good. I am so happy both of his characters are on here but no way one should go in the 1st round :( Same thing should have been done to Joshua Jackson.

Comment by Deena – June 25, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have J.R. listed as “J.R. Erwing” instead of “Ewing” :)

Comment by Morgan – June 25, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sark vs. Sawyer? Not cool, not cool at all.

Comment by Bethany – June 25, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jess wins over Chuck for sure. However, couldn’t vote on the 2nd one as I never watched Felicity or Queer As Folk.

Comment by Ally – June 25, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!

Comment by lisa – June 25, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jess Mariano, EASY. But oh my god, Tv Line, Jordan Catalano vs Tim Riggings? Ryan Atwood vs Logan Echolls? SARK vs SAWYER? Can’t. Handle. It.

Comment by Izzie – June 25, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, more people will likely pick Chuck, because he’s a big fan favourite right now… Ugh.

Comment by Miranda – June 26, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Logan vs Ryan is just VERY evil. I think I will close my eyes and vote! I can’t pick.

Comment by Van – June 27, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna have a very difficult time deciding between Ryan Atwood and Logan Echolls.
    Though in this round I had no trouble voting for Jess Mariano!

Comment by Karen – June 25, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Capt Jack vs Mal?!?! So wrong! (jack all the way)… n Reese vs Peter?!? Even more wrong!

Comment by kristy – June 25, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty much all my favourite characters are in this tournament… What does that say about me? Also, choosing some of these will be the death of me and no possbile outcome will make me completely happy.

Comment by Anna – June 25, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, woe, however wilt thou survive?

Comment by Danny – June 26, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I looked at the entire bracket – no one beats J.R. Ewing. I think he will be the ultimate winner.

Comment by MB – June 25, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny how, everyone prefers Jess over Chuck, lol! :p

Comment by robinepowell – June 25, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are going to make me choose between Capt Mal and Capt Jack?!! WTF! Pary Foul, Slezak :P

Comment by Kirstin E. Jewell – June 25, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed, that’s torture that is.

Comment by Holly – June 25, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by Em – June 25, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IKR? That is just cruel.

Comment by Artemis – June 25, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is best bracket game yet. Some of those match ups are really tough, and I swooned at the inclusion of half of these guys.

Comment by Maddy – June 25, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they have Eric Northman on there,because he’s my bad boy.

Comment by Shelli – June 25, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right side lower bracket, 4th from the bottom.

Comment by Kvivik – June 25, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can Ben win over Brian?! This is ridiculous LOL Brian should win hands down on that one!

Comment by Manie – June 25, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love Ryan Atwood, I wouldn’t consider him a bad boy. He was a good guy in a bad place, and he ended up solving a lot more problems than he created.

Comment by Honey – June 25, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House and Sawyer are my top 2 for dramas. Barney and Jeff are my top 2 for comedy… It’s too hard to choose…

Comment by Babybop – June 25, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The baddest boy of all isn’t even listed! Where is Eric Cartman!?!?

Comment by Me – June 25, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha. I didn’t even think about that, but you’re kind of right.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 25, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT ?! klaus from TVD against Spike from buffy ?! how the hell are we meant to choose that one ?

Comment by Holly – June 25, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This one is really going to be the hardest, I can’t believe they’re against each other in the first round, way too hard to choose.

Comment by AnnClauC – June 25, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have no problem choosing Spike over Klaus…now if it was Damon I might have to think on it. But I think Spike takes it because he is my original TV vampire boyfriend! LOL

Comment by Van – June 27, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh, I was just checking out the bracket and you have Darryl Dixon against Nicholas Brody in the first round?? How dare you, sir! And Jeff Winger against Barney Stinson? How dare you again!
    I’m a little confused by the inclusion of Cary from Good Wife as he seems to be the nicest, sweetest guy on the whole show. I think her husband would have been a better choice. Tyrion Lannister is also a bizarre choice to me as he as is one of the more nicer characters of the show. I’m going to get to end up getting too overly emotionally involved in this tournament, I know it. I’m pulling for Don Draper all the way, but I have a feeling Walter White could take it. However…these tournaments are usually won by characters I would never expect to have made it out of the first round, so….[shrug], perhaps I should just separate myself emotionally right now. It’s not like the stakes are that high. :) But that just makes it extra scary.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 25, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i understand that even the good guys can be bad boys, but there are such good guys in here that i’m just going to end up voting for them anyway… i suppose its all perspective though. i’m like fauxlivia, i go for the nice guys.

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 25, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cole Turner versus Dr. Christian….. Very tricky!!!

Comment by Car – June 25, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping for a Raylon Givens vs Boyd Crowder in the Second Round of the tournament!

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Tyrion Lannister in the bracket and not Jaime? I mean, who pushed a kid out of a window and sleeps with his sister? I would say if anyone from the show is a sexy badboy it’s the Kingslayer. Oh well, Tyrion is still awesome.

Comment by Elena – June 25, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I think Jamie is a better fit as well. I mean, Tyrion is a nice guy after all…

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s some really tough first-rounders here, and then others that are like–well, kind of a loose interpretation of “bad boy” here.

Comment by KS – June 25, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extra gold stars for including Logan Echolls from Veronica Mars, and Thomas from Downton Abbey!!!!!!

Comment by GDV – June 25, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Chuck Bass!!!

Comment by sarah – June 25, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JESS MARIANO!!!! Yesssssss <3 <3 <3

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brian Kinney was such a sexy mofo. One of the best tv characters ever.

Comment by Leo – June 25, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where the heck is Tommy Gavin. I figured he’d be a 1 or 2 seed W

Comment by joshua – June 25, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh hell yeah. Excellent point!

Comment by Deena – June 26, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They put Sherlock, but not Moriarty? You know, Sherlock is on the side of the angels…

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • but he’s not one of them!

Comment by Scott – June 25, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this just a coincidence, or did you deliberately put most of the metrosexual wimps on the left, and the real grown-man type badasses on the right? LOL! It may take a while, but I look forward to JR vs Tony Soprano! Tyrion vs T-Bag promises to be entertaining as well. PS, Tate from AHS ftw.

Comment by Temis – June 25, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I DEFINITELY voted for him, I’m not sure I’d consider Ben Covington (Scott Speedman) a bad boy. At least not on the level of some of these others. To me, Ben had the best heart which is ultimately what made him so great. But I guess that’s the most appealing thing about most bad boys! The good heart hiding inside.

With that said, this is a bracket from HEAVEN!! I’m always a fan of the bad boy vs. the good boy when it comes to television – SUCH better growth and story potential.

Comment by soarin829 – June 25, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it Dean Winchester from Season 1 or Dean Winchester now? He’s recently more depressed instead of a bad boy.

Comment by Ryan – June 25, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just ignore the last two seasons, and it’s Dean all the way. Besides, I’m pretty sure Carver will fix that.

Comment by hlots11 – June 26, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Daniel from revenage really a bad boy?
    Nolan from Pretty Little Liars??? Were we getting a little desperate for characters at this point? haha!
    I am looking forward to this Bad Boy Bracket! This should be fun!

Comment by Heather – June 25, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you made us pick between chuck bass and jess mariano first? how cruel.

Comment by Alex – June 25, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jordan Catalano for the win. More than a decade later, my heart skips a beat at the mention of his name. SO sad, cause love me some Tim Riggins as well.

Comment by CR – June 25, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • some of these characters are nowhere near “bad boy” status.
    SMH.

Comment by flutiefan – June 25, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Ben Convington beating Brian Kinney!?!?!? Seriously?!? There should be a “Judges Save” in this tournament – Brian is epitome of a TV bad boy.

Comment by Elicia – June 25, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, I love the idea of a judges save! And if anyone deserves one, it’s Brian Kinney.

Comment by Wendy – June 25, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely concur! Sadly I think this is more reflective of viewership numbers for each show than the character’s bad boy worthiness. Brian Kinney will forever be my ultimate bad boy.

Comment by A. – June 25, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree! Brian Kinney is the textbook definition of a bad boy. No one who mopes around as much as Ben deserves to be called a bad boy.

Comment by Abby – June 25, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, when do we get a ‘bad girls ‘ bracketÉ

Comment by Sheldon W. – June 25, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Ben Covington, but in what universe is he considered a “bad boy”?

Comment by ali – June 25, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my reaction too. Noel was the nice guy so apparently Ben has to be the bad boy.

Comment by Mary – June 25, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you, that was exactly my response.

Comment by Stacey – June 26, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal against Captain Jack!!!! oh my god. There is no way I can choose.

Comment by Shannon – June 25, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know!! I’m going to vote for one at home and one at work.

Comment by Brittany – June 27, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • none. My fav. bad boy of all time is Logan Echolls from Veronica Mars.

Comment by Mari – June 25, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am Chuck Bass.

is there anymore to say?

Comment by c.p. – June 25, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post