TV's Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tourney Begins With Faves from Gossip, Gilmore, Felicity & More

Bad is beautiful — especially when it comes to our favorite television characters. And that’s why TVLine is kicking off TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament, a competition that celebrates 64 classic small-screen roles — from the most hard-to-handle heartthrobs to the most deliciously wicked criminals.

What makes a great bad boy? Is he dark and a little bit dangerous? A good guy with a naughty, maybe even promiscuous streak? Could he be truly evil, but nevertheless tough to root against? We’d say any/all of the above traits makes a fella eligible for our tourney.

Today we kick things off with a group of guys that fall under the “crush on at your own risk” category: Gossip Girl‘s Chuck Bass battles Gilmore Girls‘ Jess Mariano, while Felicity‘s Ben Covington faces a showdown against Queer as Folk‘s Brian Kinney.

And every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. Sarah says:

Um, the picture for Dylan McKay is Brandon Walsh…time to fire your interns :p

2. Pop Vulture says:

Brian Kinney – decadent, unapologetic, lecherous, irresistible, and vain. Also: hot. Yes, please.

3. Breck says:

The bottom left bracket is stacked

4. Danielle says:

Dean Winchester vs Eliot Spencer?! You’re killin me smalls!

5. Amyb says:

Ummmm….where is Sawyer from Lost?

6. Heather says:

Did we realize that Joshua Jackson is on here twice? Is that ‘legal’? And how is Scott Speedpay Evil?
    And Riggins vs Jordan? Not cool!

• Kvivik says:

So is Julian McMahon, and his Nip/Tuck character is squaring off against his Charmed character. He wins either way.
      And poor Joshua is going to get his rear punted in BOTH brackets. Bishop is NOTHING in ‘bad boy’-dom compared to John Reese.
      Also…unfair to put Rumple vs Baltar. :-(

7. MPD says:

Chuck Bass, all day, every day.

8. Saint Alicia says:

Guess you guys just figured “ah, screw him” when pitting Cary Agos against House? That was seriously the best match you could come up with for each of them at this level… ¬__¬

9. Ribac says:

Cole Turner VS Christian Troy :D

Touche!

• Winnie says:

Yes, that’s my favorite matchup so far! I do wonder if there might be a TVLine bloodbath if Spike vs. Angel happens…

This will hopefully be a fun one that lacks wish-it-were-playful-but-these-people-are-for-real comments section infighting.

I wonder if the ladies bracket will be “bad girls”/”vixens”/other…

• Deena says:

It’s evil! Evil is what it is! I can’t choose between the two of them! Julian McMahon plays bad boys oh so good. I am so happy both of his characters are on here but no way one should go in the 1st round :( Same thing should have been done to Joshua Jackson.

10. Morgan says:

You have J.R. listed as “J.R. Erwing” instead of “Ewing” :)

11. Bethany says:

Sark vs. Sawyer? Not cool, not cool at all.

12. Izzie says:

Jess Mariano, EASY. But oh my god, Tv Line, Jordan Catalano vs Tim Riggings? Ryan Atwood vs Logan Echolls? SARK vs SAWYER? Can’t. Handle. It.

13. Karen says:

Gonna have a very difficult time deciding between Ryan Atwood and Logan Echolls.
    Though in this round I had no trouble voting for Jess Mariano!

14. kristy says:

Capt Jack vs Mal?!?! So wrong! (jack all the way)… n Reese vs Peter?!? Even more wrong!

15. Anna says:

Pretty much all my favourite characters are in this tournament… What does that say about me? Also, choosing some of these will be the death of me and no possbile outcome will make me completely happy.

16. MB says:

I looked at the entire bracket – no one beats J.R. Ewing. I think he will be the ultimate winner.

17. robinepowell says:

Funny how, everyone prefers Jess over Chuck, lol! :p

18. You are going to make me choose between Capt Mal and Capt Jack?!! WTF! Pary Foul, Slezak :P

19. Maddy says:

This is best bracket game yet. Some of those match ups are really tough, and I swooned at the inclusion of half of these guys.

20. Shelli says:

I wish they have Eric Northman on there,because he’s my bad boy.

21. Manie says:

How can Ben win over Brian?! This is ridiculous LOL Brian should win hands down on that one!

22. Honey says:

As much as I love Ryan Atwood, I wouldn’t consider him a bad boy. He was a good guy in a bad place, and he ended up solving a lot more problems than he created.

23. Babybop says:

House and Sawyer are my top 2 for dramas. Barney and Jeff are my top 2 for comedy… It’s too hard to choose…

24. Me says:

The baddest boy of all isn’t even listed! Where is Eric Cartman!?!?

25. Holly says:

WHAT ?! klaus from TVD against Spike from buffy ?! how the hell are we meant to choose that one ?

• AnnClauC says:

This one is really going to be the hardest, I can’t believe they’re against each other in the first round, way too hard to choose.

• Van says:

I have no problem choosing Spike over Klaus…now if it was Damon I might have to think on it. But I think Spike takes it because he is my original TV vampire boyfriend! LOL

26. Britta Unfiltered says:

Uh, I was just checking out the bracket and you have Darryl Dixon against Nicholas Brody in the first round?? How dare you, sir! And Jeff Winger against Barney Stinson? How dare you again!
    I’m a little confused by the inclusion of Cary from Good Wife as he seems to be the nicest, sweetest guy on the whole show. I think her husband would have been a better choice. Tyrion Lannister is also a bizarre choice to me as he as is one of the more nicer characters of the show. I’m going to get to end up getting too overly emotionally involved in this tournament, I know it. I’m pulling for Don Draper all the way, but I have a feeling Walter White could take it. However…these tournaments are usually won by characters I would never expect to have made it out of the first round, so….[shrug], perhaps I should just separate myself emotionally right now. It’s not like the stakes are that high. :) But that just makes it extra scary.

27. cjeffery7 says:

i understand that even the good guys can be bad boys, but there are such good guys in here that i’m just going to end up voting for them anyway… i suppose its all perspective though. i’m like fauxlivia, i go for the nice guys.

28. Car says:

Cole Turner versus Dr. Christian….. Very tricky!!!

29. Sara says:

I’m really hoping for a Raylon Givens vs Boyd Crowder in the Second Round of the tournament!

30. Elena says:

Why is Tyrion Lannister in the bracket and not Jaime? I mean, who pushed a kid out of a window and sleeps with his sister? I would say if anyone from the show is a sexy badboy it’s the Kingslayer. Oh well, Tyrion is still awesome.

31. KS says:

There’s some really tough first-rounders here, and then others that are like–well, kind of a loose interpretation of “bad boy” here.

32. GDV says:

Extra gold stars for including Logan Echolls from Veronica Mars, and Thomas from Downton Abbey!!!!!!

33. sarah says:

I vote for Chuck Bass!!!

34. Sara says:

JESS MARIANO!!!! Yesssssss <3 <3 <3

35. Leo says:

Brian Kinney was such a sexy mofo. One of the best tv characters ever.

36. joshua says:

Where the heck is Tommy Gavin. I figured he’d be a 1 or 2 seed W

37. Sara says:

They put Sherlock, but not Moriarty? You know, Sherlock is on the side of the angels…

38. Temis says:

Is this just a coincidence, or did you deliberately put most of the metrosexual wimps on the left, and the real grown-man type badasses on the right? LOL! It may take a while, but I look forward to JR vs Tony Soprano! Tyrion vs T-Bag promises to be entertaining as well. PS, Tate from AHS ftw.

39. soarin829 says:

While I DEFINITELY voted for him, I’m not sure I’d consider Ben Covington (Scott Speedman) a bad boy. At least not on the level of some of these others. To me, Ben had the best heart which is ultimately what made him so great. But I guess that’s the most appealing thing about most bad boys! The good heart hiding inside.

With that said, this is a bracket from HEAVEN!! I’m always a fan of the bad boy vs. the good boy when it comes to television – SUCH better growth and story potential.

40. Ryan says:

Is it Dean Winchester from Season 1 or Dean Winchester now? He’s recently more depressed instead of a bad boy.

41. Heather says:

Is Daniel from revenage really a bad boy?
    Nolan from Pretty Little Liars??? Were we getting a little desperate for characters at this point? haha!
    I am looking forward to this Bad Boy Bracket! This should be fun!

42. Alex says:

you made us pick between chuck bass and jess mariano first? how cruel.

43. CR says:

Jordan Catalano for the win. More than a decade later, my heart skips a beat at the mention of his name. SO sad, cause love me some Tim Riggins as well.

44. flutiefan says:

some of these characters are nowhere near “bad boy” status.
    SMH.

45. Elicia says:

How is Ben Convington beating Brian Kinney!?!?!? Seriously?!? There should be a “Judges Save” in this tournament – Brian is epitome of a TV bad boy.

• Wendy says:

Haha, I love the idea of a judges save! And if anyone deserves one, it’s Brian Kinney.

• A. says:

Absolutely concur! Sadly I think this is more reflective of viewership numbers for each show than the character’s bad boy worthiness. Brian Kinney will forever be my ultimate bad boy.

• Abby says:

Totally agree! Brian Kinney is the textbook definition of a bad boy. No one who mopes around as much as Ben deserves to be called a bad boy.

46. Sheldon W. says:

So, when do we get a ‘bad girls ‘ bracketÉ

47. ali says:

I adore Ben Covington, but in what universe is he considered a “bad boy”?

48. Shannon says:

Mal against Captain Jack!!!! oh my god. There is no way I can choose.

49. Mari says:

none. My fav. bad boy of all time is Logan Echolls from Veronica Mars.

50. c.p. says:

I am Chuck Bass.

is there anymore to say?