Fall TV Preview

The Good Wife Exclusive: Meet Kalinda's Hubby!

CBS’ The Good Wife has finally tapped an actor to play Kalinda’s scary-ass estranged husband, and it’s a surprising choice to say the least.

Rather than stunt-cast the plum part, Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King have awarded the recurring role to British actor Marc Warren.

Marc who, you ask?

The 45-year-old thesp is best known Stateside for his supporting gig as Master Sergeant Albert Blithe in HBO’s Band of Brothers. In the UK, he gained fame for his starring role in the drama series Hustle.

Warren’s additional credits include guest stints on Doctor Who and Highlander: The Series.

RELATED | The Good Wife Scoop: Maura Tierney Joins Season 4 Cast as [Spoiler]

On The Good Wife, Warren will play Nick, Kalinda’s dangerous, master manipulator ex whom she ran away from pre-Lochkart Gardner, and whose return she was prepared for — lock, stock, and barrel — at the close of last month’s Season 3 finale.

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: The Good Wife Courts a Multitude of Guest Star Contenders

Nick and Kalinda are poised to reunite early into the show’s fourth season.

Comments (50)

• I’m sure he’ll be great, as all casting for TGW is, but I’d really gotten my hopes up for Adrian Pasdar.

Comment by pecola – June 25, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marc Warren is awesome. He was great on Hustler and appeared in an episode of Doctor Who and the original UK mini-series State of Play (later remade in the US with Jason Bateman playing his role) and the excellent UK version of Life on Mars.
    A truly intriguing and unexpected choice because he usually plays quirky, comedic roles and is quite small in stature – I think.
    REALLY looking forward to the new season now!

Comment by Alexis – June 25, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Hustle (Sorry)
      So based on the voice we heard in Season 3 he’s an American?
      Coz I’m really hoping he gets to keep his Brit accent.

Comment by Alexis – June 25, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marc Warren is a really good actor – he was awesome in a mini series called ‘Mad Dogs’ (check it out – it’s fantastic). He does scary really, really well! Def unexpected – but great choice (just hope they let him keep his normal accent) :) x

Comment by Bear75 – June 25, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you any idea when we can what the latest series on UK telly. I know it aired sun 30 Sept on American channel. Just can’t see to find info about it. Regards Fran

Comment by Fran – October 1, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s an excellent choice, and he seems to have the potential to become quite a ‘Sark’-type of character. Looks unassuming, but very dangerous. Interested to see how it pans out!

Comment by Mary – June 25, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn, I wanted Mark Pellegrino.

Comment by Cheryl – June 25, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by Lorie – June 25, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He already played an abusive husband/ex-husband on Dexter though. Glad TGW is casting with some originality.
        Btw, is “Nick” actually Kalinda’s husband or EX-husband?? It’s reported differently everywhere.

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 25, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Mark Pellegrino….too bad!

Comment by Ludi – July 2, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The scene in the bathroom in the UK series State Of Play was worth millions – And then Chewy after him at the airport….priceless. So happy about this casting news

Comment by silvermurph – June 25, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s probably Canadian in the show.

Comment by SL – June 25, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a bit surprised this type of man is cast as Kalinda’s husband. I had a totally different type in mind for her. But that doesn’t matter, I’m confident the writers will make it fit and I will in not time see him as the scary ex-husband he is to play. Looking forward to more Good Wife episodes! It’s one of the best shows, the best well written shows on tv ever. The writers are clever, able to write very realistic stories without the boring and without the over-the-top kind of story lines. So I’m sure it’ll be amazing, again.

Comment by Caro – June 25, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! Been waiting for casting news on this forever! Not familiar with the actor but based on pictures I can definitely see him being scary as hell. And TGW always has the best guest stars/recurring characters so I’m sure he is perfect for the role–can’t wait! :D

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 25, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant casting. Marc Warren is an excellent actor and does scary extremely well. He has appeared in many more shows than listed here. Good choice.

Comment by Sarah – June 25, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed. He’s great but wasn’t at all what I’d pictured for this character.

Comment by Kendal Walworth – June 25, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So am I. I wanted Jeffrey Dean Morgan,Issie’s husband from greys anatomy. I don’t want a Brit!!!

Comment by cookie kirk – June 25, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Aw, but Kalinda is British too.

Comment by G.G – July 17, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marc’s a great actor and has been doing some amazing character roles in the UK for years. He’ll be great. If I remember correctly both he and Archie were in the first series of Life on Mars.

Comment by Dani – June 25, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes they were both in Life on Mars! Though Archie only appeared fleetingly in the first and final episodes of the series. Marc’s character played a pretty nasty villain in the early part of S2 if I recall.

Comment by Alexis – June 25, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marc is a brilliant British actor who does scary REALLY well, check him out in an episode of the Brit version of Life on Mars , and also State of Play & the Mad Dogs TV series, Not to mention lots of other TV work . He’s very good.

Comment by Lyn Richardson – June 25, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How recuring could it be if she puts a bullet in his head as soon as the door crashes open.

Comment by BrianR – June 25, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m stunned and thrilled to hear this casting news. I’ve been following Marc Warren’s career for more than 10 years now and he’s brilliant. Although pretty much unknown to U.S. audiences, he’s an established star in the UK. Yes, he’s excellent at playing scary, but also at playing charming and vulnerable. And he’s sexy as hell. Great choice, Good Wife!!

Comment by Susan Barnett – June 25, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, those who watch Brit programs on BBC America or PBS already know who Marc Warren is. I think that most US audiences will recognize him from HBO’s Band of Brothers as Albert Blithe. I do agree that he can play a nasty character very well. He can also play charming and vulnerable. The guy is the total package.

Comment by Tania – June 25, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wishing it was Goran Visnjic…

Comment by Pop Vulture – June 25, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fantastic choice. Marc Warren is an excellent actor. It never crossed my mind to consider him for the role of Kalinda’s husband. Shame on me. I’m looking forward to seeing these episodes.

Comment by Tania – June 25, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I just can’t be the only one who gasped and clutched my pearls and had to leave the computer for a few hours to process this amazing news and require the ability to write a comment on this. I never considered Marc for this role, to be honest, but I’m looking forward to seeing him playing this. He certainly can be creepy and crazy if he wants to. I’m really excited! Can summer be over please? Bring on September!

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And just putting it out there that my personal favorite movies with Marc is Green Street Hooligans and No Night is Too Long.

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dont konw him. So, Im neutral with the choice. But, TGW producers have never disappointed me,so, on that side, I’m looking forward to see his interacion with Archie/Kalinda. ;)

Comment by patchouli – June 25, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for James Marsters. He can play scary and charming and turn from one to the other on a dime. Look forward to seeing what Marc does with the role.

Comment by Cecelia – June 25, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps they can get around the accent issue by having it turn out that Nick “puts on” a North American accent like maybe Kalinda/Leila does? It could be revealed down the line that they’re both Brits who “re-invented” themselves for some dark, possibly sinister reason.

Comment by TMW – June 25, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was thinking! I’m unfamiliar with Marc Warren, but the fact that he’s British has got my wheels turning. It would be so funny if she opens the door and suddenly starts speaking in a British accent to him. This story line is getting me very excited for the upcoming season!

Comment by Em – June 26, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is fantastic news – he’s great and it would be nice if he had more recognition in the US.

Comment by ml – June 25, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was pretty great on hustle, not what I pictured for the role but I have faith in TGW team.

Comment by Ainav – June 25, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stop smiling! I love him! My immediate reaction was “BLIIIIITHE! OH MY GOD!” Way too excited for this! :D

Comment by Casey – June 25, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay I liked him in Hustle.

Comment by Gee – June 25, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is stunt casting for me! This makes me much more likely to watch the show live than catch up with it later.

Comment by Carrie – June 25, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought – stunt casting to the international audience, perhaps? lol. Getting Marc Warren is the British equivalent of getting someone such as Allison Janney. For those who wanted Mark Pellegrino – anyone who is a fan of Mark Pellegrino will be a convert to Marc Warren, believe me.

Comment by ben – June 26, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You HAVE to see him as Teatime in Terry Pratchett’s Hogfather. He makes my skin crawl.

Comment by Gwen – June 25, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering The Good Wife’s tendency for casting actors from The Wire, I was actually hoping – no PRAYING – it would be Idris Elba or Dominic West – since I didn’t figure it would be a regular role they may well have been able to do it.
    So that they eventually cast a Brit doesn’t surprise me actually.

Comment by Alexis – June 25, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ehhhh. I would have taken Mark Pellegrino or Misha Collins or Jack Davenport…

Comment by Ella – June 25, 2012 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they didn’t rely on stunt casting. I was getting a little tired of the Guest Star of the Week. (I’ll admit that Matthew Perry was perfect, though!!!) I’m excited to see the interaction between him and Archie. Two of Britain’s finest!

Comment by Ashley – June 25, 2012 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know this actor, so I can’t comment on that. However, as far as appearance goes (except for having an accent, which I thought Kalinda’s ex would have), I agree with those who’ve said this choice doesn’t match the mental picture that I had going on in my head, Goran Visnjic.has been mentioned. While I wasn’t necessarily thinking of him specifically, I did anticipate Kalinda’s ex being of something like Indian, African, Slavic, or Turkish decent. Archie has a multicultural background and Kalinda’s somewhat exotic and very mysterious.
    Caucasian was not my first thought (and I’m Caucasian) when thinking about a potential mate for Kalinda.

Comment by Andrea – June 26, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great choice! he is such a good character actor. maybe a little unknown to US audience.

Comment by angela – June 26, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show…as long as Archie (Kalinda) is still on and Juianna stays..I will watch this forever…I’l love to be Kalinda’s husband..ex…or current…

Comment by Larry – July 12, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In love with this new actor. He’s perfect for the role. I hope CBS keeps him in the role. He’s bringing a great deal of skill to his character. Madge

Comment by Madge Swart – October 10, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hate this new story line. Kalinda is such a strong character. I find it unbelievable that she would every be with an abusive man like this.

Comment by Pat – October 17, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi, thanks for sharing

Comment by dating – April 9, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well he played Dracula in a BBC production 2006 – so I already love his scary-sexy side!

Comment by Taylor – May 16, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having read this I thought it was rather enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this informative article
    together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting.

But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Comment by http://Lipc.lv – September 23, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post