The Good Wife Scoop: Maura Tierney Joins Season 4 Cast as [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

The Good Wife Season 4 CastPeter Florrick has a secret weapon in his bid to become governor: Maura Tierney.

CBS’ The Good Wife has tapped the ER vet to join the Season 4 cast in the recurring role of Maddie, a self-made billionaire who started her own Internet company and is the doyenne of Chicago Democratic politics. As such, Eli eagerly pursues her money and endorsement for Peter’s campaign.

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Meet Kalinda’s Husband!

Tierney — who for half of ER Season 6 overlapped with Good Wife lead Julianna Margulies, playing Abby Lockhart to her Carol Hathaway — is slated to appear in as many as 10 episodes of the acclaimed CBS drama.

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: The Good Wife Courts a Multitude of Guest Star Contenders

Tierney’s recent TV credits include an arc on Rescue Me, the ABC legal drama The Whole Truth and a guest star appearance on The Office.

Comments (35)

• is Mathew Perry coming back? really liked him last season.

Comment by João Amaral – June 25, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay. I love Maura. Plus its kind of cool that she worked with JM on ER

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – June 25, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. NEWS. EVER. This woman is amazing, and I was hoping she got into acting again after the Whole Truth fiasco. I loved her in ER and I’m certain she’ll do a wonderful work in TGW :)

Comment by martina – June 25, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did you forget her 5 year full-time stint on Newsradio? That kind of counts as a TV credit, no?

Comment by Robert G. – June 25, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know seriously, “guest star appearance on the office” what the hell???

Lisa freaking Miller

Comment by ultimate troll – June 25, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you forget to read the part where it says “Recent”?

Comment by martina – June 25, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news this sucky Monday has given me so far. She’s great, so happy right now.

Comment by Nikko – June 25, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait…doesn’t Maura Tierney entering a show usually mean Julianna Margulies is exiting? I’d keep an eye on this… ;-)

Comment by MrMank – June 25, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I need to start watching The Good Wife. I love Maura and am so happy.

Comment by Emma – June 25, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I highly recommend you to start watching TGW not just because Maura is guest starring but because it’s a great show and it has fantastic acting and writing. S1-S3 were great and definitely worth watching. But hey, that’s just my opinion.

Comment by isabel – June 26, 2012 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show has the best casting… seriously, can’t wait to see her. they have all the best ladies on TV.

Comment by noa – June 25, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my favorite shows pairing with one of my all time favorite actresses? Match made in heaven!!! Any chance she could become a regular, not just a recurring guest??

Comment by Becky – June 25, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again? Seriously??? I find Maura Tierney so blah and the same in every role- no matter what the role. A bit of a smirk represents anything from humor to tragedy. The Good Wife has an amazing cast, I’m surprised at this mediocre addition.

Comment by Patricia – June 25, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Real Deal With Bill McNeal. Hey, don’t mention it. Well, screw you too!

Comment by Kev – June 25, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is actually flawless. Cannot wait!

Comment by Kendal Walworth – June 25, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic, I loved Maura in ER!

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Time to start catching up on the good wife!

Comment by Clarissa – June 25, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carol and Abby! WOOH! I hope Maura stays permanently.

Comment by Ethan – June 25, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    This show just keeps getting better.

Comment by Kelsey Tape – June 25, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad! Love The Good Wife and Maura Tierney, can’t wait for them to be combined.

Comment by portiaslegacy – June 25, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I didn’t think this show could get any better. Tapping one of my all time favorite actresses just makes me giddy. I very much, look forward to the new season.

Comment by Mae – June 25, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I may have to start watching the show again. I liked the few episodes I’ve seen; it just never became a must-watch show for me. I love both JM and MR.

Comment by Ally – June 25, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! one of my top favorite actresses on one of my top favorite shows!

Comment by Ainav – June 25, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is horrible news, and just enough to make me quit the show for good.

Every show Maura Tierney is in talks her up as beautiful and intellectually superior to the rest of mankind, when all she does is play the same nasty, sarcastic, unattractive, self-absorbed shrew who spews invective at everyone around her. I guarantee you that in no time Will and Peter will be fighting over her and that she;ll be toted as smarter and more beautiful than Alicia in every way.

Julianna Margulies deserves better than to lose the focus of her show to Tierney. Tierney dominates every show she ever appears on because the writers become obsessed with overselling her.

Comment by Amy – June 25, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the way, Carol and Abby had almost zero screentime together, so this is not exactly a grand reunion. They weren’t close by any stretch of the imagination.

The writers are basically inviting Tierney to destroy their show and make her the sole focus. Even more disgustingly, they’ll probably talk this up as some kind of grand reunion, even though it coincided with Margulies’s most cringe-worthy moments on the show.

Appalling. I will not watch the show until she leaves, and the last thing this show needs is to bleed viewers.

(For anyone who thinks that Tierney is some great ratings attraction, I give the example of her last failed TV project. She happened to join ER when the ratings were high, but once the other main characters left and she started getting 90% of the screentime, they dropped drastically).

Comment by Amy – June 25, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah right, but the show went on for 9 more seasons…

Comment by MadameDame – June 26, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wasn’t abby a OB nurse when carol just gave birth to her twins? i remember her in carol’s room talking to her briefly.

Comment by ally123 – August 6, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her on Rescue Me!

Comment by Diane – June 25, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Maura is healthy and can work again. Can’t wait to see her on the show. Everyone they bring on is brilliant. Maybe she will knock heads with Eli. Any scene with him is golden!

Comment by Broadwayfan – June 26, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!! Maura is one of my favorite actors. The Good Wife, just like ER, thrives on wonderful writing, directing, and casting. Maura will add yet another layer of excellence to this terrific show. I hope she stays on as a regular!!

Comment by Jtog – July 6, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you ever get a chance to see Maura Tierney on stage — run, don’t walk. We saw her in two plays in New York and she was magnetic in both of them.

Comment by charlespaolino – July 17, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get Sherry Stringfield on and make it a REAL ER reunion? I’d love to see her a competitor for Alicia…or an opposing attorney. I’m tired of seeing the same ones… I mean in a large city like Chicago, there has to be more lawyers than that. Not that I mind Martha Plimpton (her guest appearances are a hoot). Michael J. Fox’s role seems repetitive, as does Mamie Gummer’s (but I like her a lot). I hope they don’t bring back Lisa Edelstein. I was not a fan of her character at all…I feel like her character sucked the life out of all the scenes she was in. More Elsbeth Tascioni….Carrie Preston is a riot. Does anyone find it funny that she is on the show with Chris Noth and her real name is the the same as Carrie Bradshaw’s married name–plus she had a guest spot on Sex & The City in the 2nd(?) season.

Comment by Chris – August 1, 2012 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post