The Good Wife Scoop: Maura Tierney Joins Season 4 Cast as [Spoiler]

The Good Wife Season 4 CastPeter Florrick has a secret weapon in his bid to become governor: Maura Tierney.

CBS’ The Good Wife has tapped the ER vet to join the Season 4 cast in the recurring role of Maddie, a self-made billionaire who started her own Internet company and is the doyenne of Chicago Democratic politics. As such, Eli eagerly pursues her money and endorsement for Peter’s campaign.

RELATED | The Good Wife Exclusive: Meet Kalinda’s Husband!

Tierney — who for half of ER Season 6 overlapped with Good Wife lead Julianna Margulies, playing Abby Lockhart to her Carol Hathaway — is slated to appear in as many as 10 episodes of the acclaimed CBS drama.

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: The Good Wife Courts a Multitude of Guest Star Contenders

Tierney’s recent TV credits include an arc on Rescue Me, the ABC legal drama The Whole Truth and a guest star appearance on The Office.

1. João Amaral says:

is Mathew Perry coming back? really liked him last season.

2. Yay. I love Maura. Plus its kind of cool that she worked with JM on ER

3. martina says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER. This woman is amazing, and I was hoping she got into acting again after the Whole Truth fiasco. I loved her in ER and I’m certain she’ll do a wonderful work in TGW :)

4. Robert G. says:

Did you forget her 5 year full-time stint on Newsradio? That kind of counts as a TV credit, no?

5. Nikko says:

This is the best news this sucky Monday has given me so far. She’s great, so happy right now.

6. MrMank says:

Wait…doesn’t Maura Tierney entering a show usually mean Julianna Margulies is exiting? I’d keep an eye on this… ;-)

7. Emma says:

Now I need to start watching The Good Wife. I love Maura and am so happy.

• isabel says:

I highly recommend you to start watching TGW not just because Maura is guest starring but because it’s a great show and it has fantastic acting and writing. S1-S3 were great and definitely worth watching. But hey, that’s just my opinion.

8. noa says:

this show has the best casting… seriously, can’t wait to see her. they have all the best ladies on TV.

9. Becky says:

One of my favorite shows pairing with one of my all time favorite actresses? Match made in heaven!!! Any chance she could become a regular, not just a recurring guest??

10. Patricia says:

Again? Seriously??? I find Maura Tierney so blah and the same in every role- no matter what the role. A bit of a smirk represents anything from humor to tragedy. The Good Wife has an amazing cast, I’m surprised at this mediocre addition.

11. Kev says:

The Real Deal With Bill McNeal. Hey, don’t mention it. Well, screw you too!

12. This is actually flawless. Cannot wait!

13. Sara says:

Fantastic, I loved Maura in ER!

14. Clarissa says:

Yes! Time to start catching up on the good wife!

15. Ethan says:

Carol and Abby! WOOH! I hope Maura stays permanently.

16. Kelsey Tape says:

Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    This show just keeps getting better.

17. portiaslegacy says:

So glad! Love The Good Wife and Maura Tierney, can’t wait for them to be combined.

18. Mae says:

And here I didn’t think this show could get any better. Tapping one of my all time favorite actresses just makes me giddy. I very much, look forward to the new season.

19. Ally says:

I think I may have to start watching the show again. I liked the few episodes I’ve seen; it just never became a must-watch show for me. I love both JM and MR.

20. Ainav says:

Yay! one of my top favorite actresses on one of my top favorite shows!

21. Amy says:

This is horrible news, and just enough to make me quit the show for good.

Every show Maura Tierney is in talks her up as beautiful and intellectually superior to the rest of mankind, when all she does is play the same nasty, sarcastic, unattractive, self-absorbed shrew who spews invective at everyone around her. I guarantee you that in no time Will and Peter will be fighting over her and that she;ll be toted as smarter and more beautiful than Alicia in every way.

Julianna Margulies deserves better than to lose the focus of her show to Tierney. Tierney dominates every show she ever appears on because the writers become obsessed with overselling her.

22. Amy says:

By the way, Carol and Abby had almost zero screentime together, so this is not exactly a grand reunion. They weren’t close by any stretch of the imagination.

The writers are basically inviting Tierney to destroy their show and make her the sole focus. Even more disgustingly, they’ll probably talk this up as some kind of grand reunion, even though it coincided with Margulies’s most cringe-worthy moments on the show.

Appalling. I will not watch the show until she leaves, and the last thing this show needs is to bleed viewers.

(For anyone who thinks that Tierney is some great ratings attraction, I give the example of her last failed TV project. She happened to join ER when the ratings were high, but once the other main characters left and she started getting 90% of the screentime, they dropped drastically).

23. Diane says:

I loved her on Rescue Me!

24. Broadwayfan says:

I’m so glad Maura is healthy and can work again. Can’t wait to see her on the show. Everyone they bring on is brilliant. Maybe she will knock heads with Eli. Any scene with him is golden!

25. Jtog says:

Great news!! Maura is one of my favorite actors. The Good Wife, just like ER, thrives on wonderful writing, directing, and casting. Maura will add yet another layer of excellence to this terrific show. I hope she stays on as a regular!!

26. charlespaolino says:

If you ever get a chance to see Maura Tierney on stage — run, don’t walk. We saw her in two plays in New York and she was magnetic in both of them.

27. Chris says:

Can we get Sherry Stringfield on and make it a REAL ER reunion? I’d love to see her a competitor for Alicia…or an opposing attorney. I’m tired of seeing the same ones… I mean in a large city like Chicago, there has to be more lawyers than that. Not that I mind Martha Plimpton (her guest appearances are a hoot). Michael J. Fox’s role seems repetitive, as does Mamie Gummer’s (but I like her a lot). I hope they don’t bring back Lisa Edelstein. I was not a fan of her character at all…I feel like her character sucked the life out of all the scenes she was in. More Elsbeth Tascioni….Carrie Preston is a riot. Does anyone find it funny that she is on the show with Chris Noth and her real name is the the same as Carrie Bradshaw’s married name–plus she had a guest spot on Sex & The City in the 2nd(?) season.