Bunheads Exclusive: Gilmore Girls’ Sean Gunn Has Something Brewing in Paradise!

Should we start calling Paradise “Stars Hollow West”?

TVLine has learned exclusively that Sean Gunn, who played Gilmore Girls’ Kirk, will guest-star in the August 13 episode of Bunheads.

Gunn’s Bunheads character, Bash (short for Sebastian), is an award-winning barista who has a reputation for brewing some damn fine joe. (Luke would be so proud.)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on True BloodVampire DiariesParenthoodBreaking Bad and More!

Gunn played quirky Kirk for Gilmore’s entire run, and he’s the latest member of that cast set to appear in creator Amy Sherman-Palladino’s new ABC Family dramedy. He follows Gilmore grads Kelly Bishop (Fanny; GG’s Emily), Rose Abdoo (Sam; GG’s Gypsy), Gregg Henry (Rico; GG’s Mitchum Huntzberger) and Chris Eigeman (Conor; GG’s Jason “Digger”) to Paradise.

Gunn most recently appeared on several episodes of Hulu’s The Morning After TV highlights show.

Who’s the next Stars Hollow resident you’d like to see on Bunheads? Hit the comments and let us know!

Comments (67)

• Excited! Although actually his first appearance was installing internet at the Gilmore house when his name was definitely not Kirk yet~

Comment by Jenna – June 25, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was Mick when he was the DSL installer.
      I really do watch too much Gilmore Girls.

Comment by Wenders – June 25, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • there’s no such thing as ‘too much’ when it comes to Gilmore Girls :)

Comment by GGFan – June 26, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haha… ik..it seems as if everyone forgets about that lol

Comment by makenzileg – June 25, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t he also deliver swans or something like that to a wedding at the inn (the twin wedding) before he was Kirk?

Comment by AT – June 26, 2012 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he was unnamed when he delivered the swans so he could have been Kirk by then. I wish they had done a nod to that and named this character Mick. He could be kirk’s twin.

Comment by Ava – June 26, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Kirk!!!

Comment by c-mo – June 25, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! Kirk is back!!

Comment by Laura W – June 25, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • didn’t he also deliver swans before he was “kirk”?

Comment by joecup – June 25, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are correct!

Comment by lariet50 – June 25, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Though, as far as I recall, he never actually gave his name in that scene, so he could have theoretically been Kirk. Also, in the second season, before he presents his short film, Kirk mentioned having been a DSL guy, so they definitely retconned that into his character later.

Comment by Rob – June 25, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michel!!!!

Comment by Teri – June 25, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the most worthless character in tv history! Michel that is not Kirk

Comment by ggny – June 25, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Michel was hilarious. How was he worthless?

Comment by Carol – July 6, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so want Michel to make an appearance! He was hysterical on GG.

Comment by elleg929 – June 25, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved the episode that featured his mother! “Let’s go buy something completely useless, and pay way too much for it.” Michel is a hoot.

Comment by Templar – June 26, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever. I don’t care if this is Paradise or Stars Hollow alter-ego, I’m thrilled!

Comment by Stacy – June 25, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please make him a regular he was a big favorite of mine on GG

Comment by Melissa Evans – July 5, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m glad she’s using these same actors I hope he has a little different character than the Kirk character. Ha! and yes he did both those the DSL installer and the swan deliverer. They later explained the different names by giving him many middle names lol. I too watch to much of the Gilmore Girls.

Comment by Sarah – June 25, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scott Patterson! I’ve missed him.

Comment by KK – June 25, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would make me so happy!

Comment by Melissa Evans – July 5, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would LOVE to see Scott Patterson on the show!!!

Comment by HMR – July 10, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The town troubadour! He himself said no one knows where hq comes from or goes, didn’t he?

Comment by BTM – June 25, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I really enjoyed the music on GG so much.

Comment by Mae – July 7, 2012 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Liza Weil

Comment by CJ – June 25, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She so should be playing Truly.

Comment by Lyria – June 26, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeahh liza weil! Loooooove paris, and her character was killed off in scandal, so finger cross…..

Comment by nadian – June 27, 2012 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I take it no one noticed in the ‘Bunheads’ pilot when Michelle’s prostitute neighbor was played by Alex Borstein, a GG stalwart who was originally cast as Sookie, but who went to play the harp player at the Dragonfly and Miss Celine (Emily Gilmore’s seamstress)?

Comment by Mary – June 25, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t! I can’t believe I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. I cant wait to see any and all SH characters.

Comment by Carol – July 6, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did catch that, actually :)

Also, KIRK! I’m so happy right now. :)

Comment by Chelsea – June 25, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my only problem with this show is its location… Paradise is an actual city in California… and there is not a coastal town. Hahaha

…still an awesome show, however.

Comment by rox – June 25, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d had the same thought. It’s in the foothills of the Sierras and Cascades, nowhere near the ocean, and has over 25,000 people in it. I’m really enjoying the show, but that kind of annoyed me.

Comment by Maga – June 26, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaaaaaaaaay!

Comment by Calla Lilly – June 25, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kirk!!!! I’m happy 😄 I miss Gilmore girls a little too much

Comment by Rachael – June 25, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the dean at Yale….don’t remember his name but he is a great actor straight man.

Comment by Penny Exline – June 25, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have Scott and Lauren guest star for a couple of episodes as a married couple and parents to 2 kids and I would be THRILLED! Good to hear that Kirk is guest starring. Still miss Gilmore Girls!

Comment by Allyson – June 25, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so if everyone else is coming to that show, why not Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel and Scott Patterson…and Edward Herrmann, why not bring back Lauren and Scott as a couple

Comment by k – June 26, 2012 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, if we are going that far, why doesn’t ASP just write a GG movie?

Comment by Mae – July 7, 2012 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I spotted “Babette” from Gilmore Girls in the first episode: she was in a short scene as Michelles neighbour in Vegas (the hooker who told Michelle not to scare her customers away).

Comment by Jens – June 26, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That wasn’t Babette, that was Alex Borstein, she was originally cast as Sookie, but went to play the harp player Drella at the Dragonfly and Miss Celine (Emily Gilmore’s seamstress).

I would love to see Babette tho!! And Maury.

Comment by Stef – June 26, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Yanic Truesdale?! Michel was fabulous, and he could make an equally fabulous contribution to the dance world in Bunheads.

Comment by SE – June 26, 2012 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! It’s great seeing all these Gilmore Girl alumini pop up. It would be amusing to see Danny Strong (ie. Doyle) pop up at some point.

Comment by Paige – June 26, 2012 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I think she’s making a mistake having all these Gilmore Girl actors in Bunheads. Later would probably be fine, but right now all it’s doing is reminding me of Gilmore Girls and truly Bunheads loses badly by comparison. Let me get to know these characters and at least start liking/enjoying them first.

Comment by Renee – June 26, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I love GG with a passion. It’s probably my favorite show ever…… but when you’re a writer with a very distinctive style of writing and you’re trying to establish a new show you really shouldn’t be calling attention away from your current work to remind everybody of an amazing former work. Particularly with Gilmore Girls. Every time I go back and watch the pilot and first few episodes of that show it just blows my mind that right from the word go that show was fully developed, all of the secondary characters were there and fleshed out and the tone was the same as it would be for the whole run of the show. It’s incredible. Bunheads definitely doesn’t have that. It’s a good pilot but these first three episodes have wobbled a bit going through tone and pacing changes and I’m sure that the rest of the series is going to be very different than say, the first 6 episodes. So inviting comparison between the two of them at this point is not really going to help build up people’s opinions of the new show.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – June 27, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like it. It offers hope that there will be something like GG. Jane by Design did nothing for me. I couldn’t even tell you if there were any visits from SH because I didn’t stick around long enough. So far so good! Not as amazeballs as GG but there’s hope.

Comment by Carol – July 6, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michel (Yanic Truesdale) needs to be revived as a witchy (with a b) director of a local dance company…”Ballet West Coast” maybe?

Comment by BrazenSongBird – June 26, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would it be wrong to ask for Lauralie and Luke to honeymoon in Paradise. I can just see them meeting up with Fanny and having this wierd – you look like my mother moment.

Comment by Trista – June 26, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kinda love this. :)

Comment by BrazenSongBird – June 26, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be a great way to find out what happened to L & L without having to wait for some non-existant movie.

Comment by Trista – June 26, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OK. But I’d like Rory and Jess to show up because they’re touring the west coast after visiting Jess’ dad in Venice Beach. Does ASP have rights to the characters from GG?

Comment by Templar – June 26, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I said the same thing, almost, about Fanny and Emily running in similar social circles and running into each other at or both working on some charity committee.

Comment by Jennifer – July 6, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Miss Patty.

Comment by Romi – June 26, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But where is Luke in Paradise?

Comment by Davey – June 26, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Scott Patterson and Lauren Graham as characters called “Luke” and “Lorelai” who are on vacation in Paradise with a few of their young kids. No need to make a big deal out of their vacation, maybe just a minor appearance taking a tour of the town. That would make me unbelievably happy and might just wipe out the memory of the final two seasons of Gilmore Girls.

Comment by C – June 26, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love to see either Mrs. Kim, Miss Patty or Paris. Or maybe the strolling guitarist……

Comment by Nancy Colwell – June 27, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KIRK!

Comment by andy – June 27, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely find a character for Scott Patterson!!

Comment by pattyw – July 9, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome Back Amy. Thanks for ressurecting TV for thinking people. Between you and
    Aaron Sorkin my brain as well as my funny bone will also be entertained. Also thanks for bringing Sean Gunn back To prime time. I caught him in “Buffy” and he played a great Bad Ass Demon he is a truly versatile character actor. Comedy, singing And dancing a triplel
    Threat.
    You do have a knack for picking talent. Almost all of your former talent went on to successful series. Good luck on Bunheads we are rutting for you.
    Of their own.

Comment by Tammy h – July 10, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone else notice that in the most recent episode Bob, the floor guy also played Tom the contractor in GG? I love this!

Comment by Jen – July 11, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is something you all may have missed…… Michelle marries Hubbell, (Robert Redford in The Way We Were) and arrives in Paradise in cut-off jean shorts, a t-shirt with a great big sequined fox on the front of it and boots…..She meets her new mother-in-law Fannie soon after arriving in this outfit.

One of those less obvious ASP quirky things she does is a reference to the episode of GG “Say Something” when Luke tells Lorelai he needs to think.There is a scene where she refers to The Way We Were. She describes Katie (Barbra Streisand) calling Hubbell (Robert Redford) because he is her best friend and she needs to talk to him about their break-up. Lorelai repeats most of that scene when calling Luke, repeating The Way We Were scene and asking HIM to come over because SHE needs HIM just like Katie needed Hubbell… Then,she runs for his answering machine tape and he is at her house searching for her…….

Next scene is Rory returning “Frank” and Logan’s limo. He notices that she is very matter-of-fact. They discuss what “hanging out” means to each one of them. She said she had not come over to his room that night when his friends were playing poker “just to play Fannie to his Nicky Arnstein.” “Fannie” was Fannie Brice played by Barbra Streisand. It is probably one of Barbra’s most famous roles….ASP manages to salute Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand in the opening minutes of Bunheads…and takes us back to GG at the same time!

Comment by Jann – July 18, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why no mention of Todd Lowe in the GG alum who have already been on Bunheads?
    Or was that a look alike/sound alike (cuz I missed it in the credits as well).

Comment by jacks – August 6, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great posts. i agree liza weil would be extraordinary. didnt she decide to go to california for med school? why not reincarnate PARIS as the towns new young Dr. (with her spouse the town newspaper editor DOYLE), CROSS OVER???!!

Comment by MARY – August 10, 2012 03:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My friend and I have made a drinking game when we watch Bunheads – when you see a character from Gilmore Girls – you drink!!! Love the show! We need to see LUKE!!!

Comment by Lori – August 13, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just mentioned to a friend last week I hope Kirk pops up and voila! I am so excited every week to see who might show up! I think cudos to ASP keeping GG alive and kicking giving us a great show and also satisfying her true blue fans by bringing characters back we loved so much! how a
    bout Laine. Haven’t seen her much anywhere?….love my GG still hoping for a movie. Will someone please start a Facebook page for GG movie….it worked for Betty White on SNL

Comment by Anna – August 14, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lane (Keiko Agena) appeared as Dr. Cheng on the series House MD :-)

Comment by Kathrine – June 17, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you forgot the guy that was on the pannel he was the pizza guy when rory planned lorelais birthday party

Comment by kate – August 22, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post