Exclusive

Bunheads Exclusive: Gilmore Girls’ Sean Gunn Has Something Brewing in Paradise!

Should we start calling Paradise “Stars Hollow West”?

TVLine has learned exclusively that Sean Gunn, who played Gilmore Girls’ Kirk, will guest-star in the August 13 episode of Bunheads.

Gunn’s Bunheads character, Bash (short for Sebastian), is an award-winning barista who has a reputation for brewing some damn fine joe. (Luke would be so proud.)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on True BloodVampire DiariesParenthoodBreaking Bad and More!

Gunn played quirky Kirk for Gilmore’s entire run, and he’s the latest member of that cast set to appear in creator Amy Sherman-Palladino’s new ABC Family dramedy. He follows Gilmore grads Kelly Bishop (Fanny; GG’s Emily), Rose Abdoo (Sam; GG’s Gypsy), Gregg Henry (Rico; GG’s Mitchum Huntzberger) and Chris Eigeman (Conor; GG’s Jason “Digger”) to Paradise.

Gunn most recently appeared on several episodes of Hulu’s The Morning After TV highlights show.

Who’s the next Stars Hollow resident you’d like to see on Bunheads? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. Jenna says:

Excited! Although actually his first appearance was installing internet at the Gilmore house when his name was definitely not Kirk yet~

2. c-mo says:

Yay Kirk!!!

3. Laura W says:

OMG!! Kirk is back!!

4. joecup says:

didn’t he also deliver swans before he was “kirk”?

• lariet50 says:

You are correct!

• Rob says:

Though, as far as I recall, he never actually gave his name in that scene, so he could have theoretically been Kirk. Also, in the second season, before he presents his short film, Kirk mentioned having been a DSL guy, so they definitely retconned that into his character later.

5. Teri says:

Michel!!!!

6. Stacy says:

Best. News. Ever. I don’t care if this is Paradise or Stars Hollow alter-ego, I’m thrilled!

7. Sarah says:

While I’m glad she’s using these same actors I hope he has a little different character than the Kirk character. Ha! and yes he did both those the DSL installer and the swan deliverer. They later explained the different names by giving him many middle names lol. I too watch to much of the Gilmore Girls.

8. KK says:

Scott Patterson! I’ve missed him.

9. BTM says:

The town troubadour! He himself said no one knows where hq comes from or goes, didn’t he?

10. CJ says:

I’d love to see Liza Weil

11. Mary says:

I take it no one noticed in the ‘Bunheads’ pilot when Michelle’s prostitute neighbor was played by Alex Borstein, a GG stalwart who was originally cast as Sookie, but who went to play the harp player at the Dragonfly and Miss Celine (Emily Gilmore’s seamstress)?

• Carol says:

I didn’t! I can’t believe I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. I cant wait to see any and all SH characters.

12. Chelsea says:

I did catch that, actually :)

Also, KIRK! I’m so happy right now. :)

13. rox says:

my only problem with this show is its location… Paradise is an actual city in California… and there is not a coastal town. Hahaha

…still an awesome show, however.

• Maga says:

I’d had the same thought. It’s in the foothills of the Sierras and Cascades, nowhere near the ocean, and has over 25,000 people in it. I’m really enjoying the show, but that kind of annoyed me.

14. Calla Lilly says:

Yaaaaaaaaay!

15. Rachael says:

Kirk!!!! I’m happy 😄 I miss Gilmore girls a little too much

16. Penny Exline says:

What about the dean at Yale….don’t remember his name but he is a great actor straight man.

17. Allyson says:

Have Scott and Lauren guest star for a couple of episodes as a married couple and parents to 2 kids and I would be THRILLED! Good to hear that Kirk is guest starring. Still miss Gilmore Girls!

18. k says:

so if everyone else is coming to that show, why not Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel and Scott Patterson…and Edward Herrmann, why not bring back Lauren and Scott as a couple

19. Jens says:

I spotted “Babette” from Gilmore Girls in the first episode: she was in a short scene as Michelles neighbour in Vegas (the hooker who told Michelle not to scare her customers away).

• Stef says:

That wasn’t Babette, that was Alex Borstein, she was originally cast as Sookie, but went to play the harp player Drella at the Dragonfly and Miss Celine (Emily Gilmore’s seamstress).

I would love to see Babette tho!! And Maury.

20. SE says:

How about Yanic Truesdale?! Michel was fabulous, and he could make an equally fabulous contribution to the dance world in Bunheads.

21. Paige says:

Love it! It’s great seeing all these Gilmore Girl alumini pop up. It would be amusing to see Danny Strong (ie. Doyle) pop up at some point.

22. Renee says:

Personally I think she’s making a mistake having all these Gilmore Girl actors in Bunheads. Later would probably be fine, but right now all it’s doing is reminding me of Gilmore Girls and truly Bunheads loses badly by comparison. Let me get to know these characters and at least start liking/enjoying them first.

• I agree. I love GG with a passion. It’s probably my favorite show ever…… but when you’re a writer with a very distinctive style of writing and you’re trying to establish a new show you really shouldn’t be calling attention away from your current work to remind everybody of an amazing former work. Particularly with Gilmore Girls. Every time I go back and watch the pilot and first few episodes of that show it just blows my mind that right from the word go that show was fully developed, all of the secondary characters were there and fleshed out and the tone was the same as it would be for the whole run of the show. It’s incredible. Bunheads definitely doesn’t have that. It’s a good pilot but these first three episodes have wobbled a bit going through tone and pacing changes and I’m sure that the rest of the series is going to be very different than say, the first 6 episodes. So inviting comparison between the two of them at this point is not really going to help build up people’s opinions of the new show.

• Carol says:

I like it. It offers hope that there will be something like GG. Jane by Design did nothing for me. I couldn’t even tell you if there were any visits from SH because I didn’t stick around long enough. So far so good! Not as amazeballs as GG but there’s hope.

23. BrazenSongBird says:

Michel (Yanic Truesdale) needs to be revived as a witchy (with a b) director of a local dance company…”Ballet West Coast” maybe?

24. Trista says:

Would it be wrong to ask for Lauralie and Luke to honeymoon in Paradise. I can just see them meeting up with Fanny and having this wierd – you look like my mother moment.

• BrazenSongBird says:

I kinda love this. :)

• Trista says:

It would be a great way to find out what happened to L & L without having to wait for some non-existant movie.

• Templar says:

OK. But I’d like Rory and Jess to show up because they’re touring the west coast after visiting Jess’ dad in Venice Beach. Does ASP have rights to the characters from GG?

• Jennifer says:

I said the same thing, almost, about Fanny and Emily running in similar social circles and running into each other at or both working on some charity committee.

25. Romi says:

I’d like to see Miss Patty.

26. Davey says:

But where is Luke in Paradise?

27. C says:

I would love to see Scott Patterson and Lauren Graham as characters called “Luke” and “Lorelai” who are on vacation in Paradise with a few of their young kids. No need to make a big deal out of their vacation, maybe just a minor appearance taking a tour of the town. That would make me unbelievably happy and might just wipe out the memory of the final two seasons of Gilmore Girls.

28. Nancy Colwell says:

Would love to see either Mrs. Kim, Miss Patty or Paris. Or maybe the strolling guitarist……

29. pattyw says:

Definitely find a character for Scott Patterson!!

30. Tammy h says:

Welcome Back Amy. Thanks for ressurecting TV for thinking people. Between you and
    Aaron Sorkin my brain as well as my funny bone will also be entertained. Also thanks for bringing Sean Gunn back To prime time. I caught him in “Buffy” and he played a great Bad Ass Demon he is a truly versatile character actor. Comedy, singing And dancing a triplel
    Threat.
    You do have a knack for picking talent. Almost all of your former talent went on to successful series. Good luck on Bunheads we are rutting for you.
    Of their own.

31. Jen says:

Did anyone else notice that in the most recent episode Bob, the floor guy also played Tom the contractor in GG? I love this!

32. Jann says:

Here is something you all may have missed…… Michelle marries Hubbell, (Robert Redford in The Way We Were) and arrives in Paradise in cut-off jean shorts, a t-shirt with a great big sequined fox on the front of it and boots…..She meets her new mother-in-law Fannie soon after arriving in this outfit.

One of those less obvious ASP quirky things she does is a reference to the episode of GG “Say Something” when Luke tells Lorelai he needs to think.There is a scene where she refers to The Way We Were. She describes Katie (Barbra Streisand) calling Hubbell (Robert Redford) because he is her best friend and she needs to talk to him about their break-up. Lorelai repeats most of that scene when calling Luke, repeating The Way We Were scene and asking HIM to come over because SHE needs HIM just like Katie needed Hubbell… Then,she runs for his answering machine tape and he is at her house searching for her…….

Next scene is Rory returning “Frank” and Logan’s limo. He notices that she is very matter-of-fact. They discuss what “hanging out” means to each one of them. She said she had not come over to his room that night when his friends were playing poker “just to play Fannie to his Nicky Arnstein.” “Fannie” was Fannie Brice played by Barbra Streisand. It is probably one of Barbra’s most famous roles….ASP manages to salute Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand in the opening minutes of Bunheads…and takes us back to GG at the same time!

33. jacks says:

Why no mention of Todd Lowe in the GG alum who have already been on Bunheads?
    Or was that a look alike/sound alike (cuz I missed it in the credits as well).

34. MARY says:

great posts. i agree liza weil would be extraordinary. didnt she decide to go to california for med school? why not reincarnate PARIS as the towns new young Dr. (with her spouse the town newspaper editor DOYLE), CROSS OVER???!!

35. Lori says:

My friend and I have made a drinking game when we watch Bunheads – when you see a character from Gilmore Girls – you drink!!! Love the show! We need to see LUKE!!!

36. Anna says:

Just mentioned to a friend last week I hope Kirk pops up and voila! I am so excited every week to see who might show up! I think cudos to ASP keeping GG alive and kicking giving us a great show and also satisfying her true blue fans by bringing characters back we loved so much! how a
    bout Laine. Haven’t seen her much anywhere?….love my GG still hoping for a movie. Will someone please start a Facebook page for GG movie….it worked for Betty White on SNL

37. kate says:

you forgot the guy that was on the pannel he was the pizza guy when rory planned lorelais birthday party