Scoop: Jennifer Hudson Gets Smash'd, Joins Season 2 Cast For Multi-Episode Arc

Get More: Casting News

Jennifer Hudson SmashSmash is introducing you to another American Idol alum: Jennifer Hudson.

The Oscar and Grammy winner has signed on to appear in multiple episodes of the NBC musical drama’s upcoming second season.

She’ll play Veronica, a Tony-winning Broadway star who impacts the lives of Karen (Katharine McPhee) and Ivy (Megan Hilty).

RELATED | Newsies Breakout Jeremy Jordan Joins Smash as [Spoiler]

“We’re thrilled to have Jennifer Hudson coming to Smash,” said NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt. “This series is a showcase for some of the best musical talent in the business and that’s a fitting description for Jennifer Hudson. Her character will represent someone who reached their Broadway dream but also paid a price for it.”

Added Smash EP (and Hudson’s Dreamgirls boss) Steven Spielberg: “I have no doubt Jennifer will continue to deliver even more inspiration to the audience responsible for giving us a second season on NBC.”

Hudson will debut in Smash‘s second season premiere in early 2013.

Comments (64)

• O $hit!

Comment by Danielle H – June 22, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by Cee-Lo – June 22, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Smash is still going to be on Mondays, right? That means she’ll be on one channel while her fiance is live on another (Monday Night Raw).

Comment by Rock Golf – June 22, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Jessica Sanchez going to Glee and Jennifer Hudson going to Smash. Hell yeah!

Comment by Leo – June 22, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it, but I really hope the show doesn’t continue to place importance on guest casting over improving the plotting and writing.

Comment by matttucker76 – June 22, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t have said it better.

Comment by Atawewe – June 22, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must not be watching TV Mattucker because almost all TV has guest stars and arc stories for “name” actors. This is nothing new it’s been ongoing for quite a while.

Comment by SallyinChicago – June 23, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I love JHud, and I’m excited to see her on the show. At the same time, there were probably a thousand other young actors who could have played this part and been discovered doing so. I hope the show doesn’t continue to stunt cast and just finds the best people for the job.

Comment by Kira – June 23, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Such is this business, and theatre as well. Such awesome talent out there yet new talents dont stand a chance when they continue to only cast well-known actors for TV and Broadway musicals. Had to laugh at the episode on Smash when Uma Thurman played the big star with no voice. Sad but real ……

Comment by Hannah S – June 25, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • it just shows how things are

Comment by terre – September 27, 2012 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you!

Comment by Hilda LePew – June 25, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • guess I’m officially done with Smash. Can’t stand her. I would rather have Ellis than her.

Comment by JP – June 22, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re crazy!

Comment by Aerilyn. – June 22, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bye.

Comment by MIchael – June 22, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are obviously tasteless Jennifer Hudson is phenomenal I love Beyonce but JHUD was the reason that I went to see Dreamgirls!!! lets hope she’ll reprise and I am telling you :))

Comment by JC – June 22, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See ya. don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Comment by anita – June 23, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you may not like her.. but you liking Ellis over her?!?!?!?! hahahaha

Comment by huwaaaat?! – June 25, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome !

Comment by angelstorm – June 22, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I never saw that coming. What do they mean as a multiple episode arc? I just hope she does´t steals the spotlight from Kat and Megan.

Comment by Titina – June 22, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the 2013 Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series goes to…

Comment by RichieOnTV – June 22, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought. Jennifer Hudson wants to EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony).

Comment by Adam – June 22, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And totally not happening with Downton Abby and Game of Thrones etc

Comment by Shaun – June 23, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh. Not a fan of hers. Hopefully it won’t grow into a series regular role.

Comment by Debbie – June 22, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her. Yay!

Comment by Julia – June 22, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It means she isn’t a series regular. She will be contracted for only a certain number of episodes and then the character is gone. (of course, that could change and she could become permanent.) There is no telling how many episodes she will appear in. (The writers might know if the scripts are complete.)

Comment by Anita – June 22, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This second season will be amazing. Jennifer delivers like no other, maybe they can get rid of McPhee and keep her. #wishfulthinking

Comment by Leo – June 22, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Kat is wonderful in the series

Comment by Ladyguard – June 23, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you about Kat. I am so impressed with her! Jennifer Hudson…not so much.

Comment by Hilda LePew – June 25, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kathryn McPhee IS Smash. Cannot be replaced and I think she is amazing

Comment by karen – June 25, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think kathryn McPhee iS THE REASON I watch the show she is great her voice is Amazing and she plays her part wonderful She need to stay!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by jean – June 26, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • love her
          and debra messing i wish theyd cut down the gay sex scenes

Comment by terre – September 27, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh yeah. a new marilyn when the show comes to broadway. lucky us…………….

Comment by Ninja_turtle77 – June 22, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Now there’s a guest star who can act and sing!

Comment by Linderella – June 22, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Working on that EGOT!!! Love her so much. I can’t wait to have her on my TV again!

Comment by Casey – June 22, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! After the unfortunate casting news about Jessica Sanchez, this makes me very happy. I love her voice and personality. I didn’t love season 1 of Smash but it seems like they’re actively working to fix some of the problems. Any chance that they can recast Leo?

Comment by Mark – June 22, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t bother recasting Leo, just send him off to boarding school or to live with his father.

Comment by TheBeach – June 23, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a A-Awoman,I must have missed that chapter where MM was black, has a black BF or does she play MM’s maid or go after JoeD?

Comment by Suz – June 22, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I smell desperation. I love JHud, but can’t help feeling this is just some stunt-casting.

Comment by Jon – June 22, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not desperation. She’s also an actress, they offered her a big pile of money and she accepted the role. SIMPLE AS THAT. And that doesn’t mean it can’t be good, and I think it will.

Comment by Joan – June 22, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The ratings were slipping, this does indeed sound like a desperate attempt to save the show

Comment by Hannah S – June 25, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping they’d cast Melinda Doolittle for that role, if that’s the one TVLine mentioned a few weeks earlier. I DO, however, LOVE me some J-Hud!!! I thought I was through with Smash, but I’ll give it another shot.

Comment by Joan – June 22, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holding my breath for a Jennifer- Megan duet. One word. Epic.

Comment by Anna – June 22, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her! Another reason to tune in, I’m not that keen on the show but I keep tuning in.

Comment by Lauren – June 22, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Stunt casting aside, hopefully the writing will be better though cause if it’s not within five episodes I will quit watching. It’s too much of a bubble show for me.

Comment by Ally – June 22, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m the only person – apparently aside from Liz Lemon – who loved that show. Not sure why, other than maybe it was my ‘send the kids to school on Tuesday mornings and then sit and sip coffee and watch Monday night’s ep on Tivo’ moment. I just loved everything about it. Even hating Ellis!

Comment by malarson2 – June 22, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Hudson. Jeremy Jordan. Now I actually can’t quit watching the show!

Comment by Kat – June 23, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant.

Comment by brandon – June 23, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh. I’m not sure about this. Aside from the fact that I personally feel like Jennifer Hudson is overexposed, I really don’t want this show to turn into the next Glee, where the guest stars are all important and the quality of the show just spirals downward.

Comment by kate – June 23, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What I mean is, maybe casting a lesser known but equally talented Broadway star would have felt like a more authentic move.

Comment by kate – June 23, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Indeed Kate! See my post above……….

Comment by Hannah S – June 25, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good move Smash! good move! Can it save the show though? I hope so, because I certainly like it!

Comment by Robin – June 24, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show as it is…don’t need Hudson. Hope her appearance doesn’t take away from Katharine and Megan and the story line….why try to fix something that’s not broken!

Comment by Lorraine – June 25, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When a show comes along as good as Smash, everyone wants to be a part of it. Big names get hired and ego’s run amuck. They will end up ruining this show and we will all be the loser! More singer’s,= less songs from the actors we want to see! No need for JHUD! Stop hireing and start writing,and composing for what you have. The show is great!

Comment by D. Kellner – June 25, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, shocking idea, if they wanted to cast someone who is a Broadway star and made it happen on Broadway…. maybe they could have cast someone who actually did make it on Broadway and IS a Broadway star. I know, talking crazy right? ::sigh:: Why is Smash so intent on shoving American Idols down our throat. Is a pathetic attempt to solidify that show? Do they think it will help Smash’s shaky ratings? I love Megan Hilty but Karen getting the part over Ivy was a huge hit against the show for me. Karen’s slightly flat (even with autotuning) vocals and lackluster Marilyn impersonations never should have won out over Ivy. No matter how much of a “meanie” Ivy was. The first couple episodes had better be epically good or this one is going down the trash chute for me.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – June 25, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katharine McPhee sing flat? you have got to be kidding me???

Comment by diane – July 24, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope, not kidding. Even with heavy auto tuning she is still slightly flat in most numbers and way flat in others. That Bollywood piece is cringe inducing it’s so flat.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – July 25, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More babes like Jennifer Hudson, and less homo’s…

Comment by Will – June 25, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Megan screamed a lot in her vocals and now with Jennifer Hudson there will be more. I love SMASH and can’t wait to purchase the 1st season for my daughter-in-law that loves Broadway, is in the Army and missed it. Do not look forward to more screaming! I am curious how they are going to continue Ivy with her destructive ways to herself and others.

Comment by Irene – June 26, 2012 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ella Fitzgerald and Marilyn Monroe were friends in real life. Ella Fitzgerald coached Marilyn Monroe with Marilyn’s singing. Even in Hollywood in the late fifties and early sixties, night clubs were segregated. In order to secure Ella Fitzgerald a performing gig at a top night club, Marilyn Monroe had to promise the owners that she herself, Marilyn Monroe would be sitting at a table in the club every night of Ella’s engagement. I don’t know if that is how Jennifer Hudson can be a part of the musical “Bombshell”, the show within “SMASH”. Give it a try, show that Marilyn was more than just a sex symbol.

Comment by Christopher Pettigrew – June 26, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That long until season 2?? 1/2 a year more of waiting… :(

Comment by Speedie – June 26, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Lorraine….people watched Season 1 because they cared about the characters. Gumming up the works with too many guest artists will make the plot murky, at best. And yes, yes, Irene … Jennifer screams. The fabulous thing about Kat’s voice is she can tone down the volume and let emotions come through. That is why she can play Marilyn. Nothing noisy about M.M. Understated and subtle. I hope the focus in Season 2 will still be the original core crew we learned to love.

Comment by Linda C. – June 29, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto i feel the same way

Comment by terre – September 27, 2012 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am not fond of this woman the cast for smash was so cool 1st time i hate it to change.

Comment by terre – September 27, 2012 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post