Exclusive

Exclusive: CBS' Elementary Sleuths Out Recurring Gig for Detroit 187's Jon Michael Hill

Former Detroit 187 cop Jon Michael Hill is back on the beat this fall with a recurring gig on CBS’ new Sherlock Holmes update Elementary, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Elementary, which landed CBS’ plum Thursday at 10 pm timeslot, is being billed as a modern take on the cases of the pipe-smoking private eye with Sherlock (Jonny Lee Miller) now living in NYC. Lucy Liu co-stars as his Watson.

Hill, whose other credits include Eastbound & Down and Person of Interest, will play a detective working alongside the pair.

1. Anasazi says:

I like Jon Michael Hill and miss Detroit 187, but this show? Meh.

• Danyelle says:

Really? Why, did you see Elementary? Where did you see it already? It sounds like you have seen it.

• alison@yahoo.com says:

You don’t need to see it to be aware that CBS is simply lifting (some would say ripping off) a very well-written and surperbly acted British series — especially one that American audiences can easily have access to already on PBS, PBS online, on BBC America, or on DVD or netflix. Johnny Lee Miller is good actor (he was wonderful in Eli Stone) but the rehash factor is what makes me disinterested. Will it suck? Who knows yet — though the presence of Lucy Liu as “Doctor Watson” alone certainly ups the Suck Factor potential big time.

2. JO! says:

This is a message to TVLINE.COM! :D
    You guys need an APP. I’m moving and I won’t be having internet (at home) but will on my iphone, and I know you guys tweet and the pages come out pretty good on the mobile internet, but it’d be so much easier on a TVLine App :)

3. Emily says:

Gah. I LOVE Johnny Lee Miller, but CBS is just setting him up for failure with this show. I’m honestly sorry to say it, there’s no way in hell that JLM is better than Benedict Cumberbatch at being a ‘high-functioning sociopath.’ Anyone who’s seen the ACTUAL version of this show, the properly British Sherlock has to agree. And honestly, making Watson a girl is stupid. And even if Watson wasn’t a girl, there’s not a chance that he’d best Martin Freeman. This TV show is destined to be yet another failed American attempt to make our own successful version of a British television serial. Hollywood, both movie and TV studios alike, have got to start giving some credit to our friends across the pond. Sherlock Holmes is THEIRS. For that matter, so is Shakespeare. Nobody does stage acting better than the Brits. I don’t care how good an American thinks he/she is, the Brits will always be better. Incidentally, the respective stars of ‘Elementary’ and Sherlock, Miller and Cumberbatch, dual-starred as Dr. Frankenstein and his monster onstage in London. Interesting tidbit, no? Anyway, after this incredibly long rant about how American TV is stupidly trying to copy the BBC, I rest.

• M says:

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. [An American quoting Shakespeare--oh, the horror!]

Do you realize that this isn’t a re-make of BBC’s Sherlock and that Sherlock Holmes isn’t actually a “high-functioning sociopath”? Not in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories, and – despite what the character says – not in the BBC show, either. Learn to separate what the character is telling you from what the writers are showing you!

Do you realize that Sherlock Holmes is the most adapted fictional character in the world? This is hardly the first time he’s been adapted into a modern setting, the first being the 14 Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce films from 1939 onwards; films, which I hope you realize, are beloved by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.

And you know what? Two guesses who did that first modern adaptation… go on, guess. 20th Century Fox. That’s, right! AMERICANS.

Now, I’m not even going to touch your suggestion that making Watson a girl is “stupid” because it’s apparent that gender politics and sexism in the media are entirely beyond your scope. Just give it a rest. You don’t want to watch, fine; it’s your prerogative. But do us all a favor and get off your soapbox.

As Sherlock would say, “don’t talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole room.” Or, in this case, the Internet. And that’s really saying something.

• Emily says:

Okay, I accept that you have your opinions, and I have mine. We clearly disagree on this matter. I appreciate disagreement. But you really don’t have to say that I’m ‘lowering the IQ of the whole room.’ If it seems that I have insulted CBS, their personnel, or one of the excellent actors involved, I apologize.

I don’t believe I ever actually said that Elementary was a remake of Sherlock. The way I see it, it appears to be an American attempt to make popular here what has already been successful in Britain (and America). Not a remake, necessarily, but a similar idea with definite differences. Making Watson a girl, for example. I admit that calling it a ‘stupid’ idea was ignorant on my part. However, I do see it as just another way for CBS to say that Elementary isn’t Sherlock, and it’s entirely their own idea. You disagree with the way I see it, and that’s fine.

I’m not saying that American adaptations of British works are bad. Certainly the movie adaptations of Holmes’ adventures have been successful, if not probably entirely true to the original literature. I cannot say that I have personally watched all adaptations of Doyle’s novels. I have heard that most of them are quite good.

I do realize that almost all of what I previously said came out in a contentious manner. That wasn’t my intention. I simply wanted to state my opinion on the matter. I knew that others would disagree with said opinion, yet I put it out there anyway, having faith that it would be rationally considered, replied to, and that I would not be insulted for having an opinion which goes against the popular one.

One last thing: the correct quote from Hamlet that you used is “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” I love Shakespeare, Hamlet in particular. In my limited experience with American and British adaptations of Shakespeare’s works, I have found that the American versions are far overshadowed by the British ones. It that doesn’t hold true for you, we again disagree. That’s just how it is. I know that. I have a lot of opinions and ideas that don’t go along with what’s considered popular or normal.

4. bonnie says:

People it ain’t that deep . Elementary is entertainment .; not to be compared with. Sir (ACD) .