Ratings: NBA Finals Still Hot, Catalina Warms Up, Love in the Wild at Low, Plus Bunheads Rises

ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals remains as hot as the Heat themselves, with Tuesday’s Game 4 drawing at the very least 14 million total viewers and a 6.0 demo rating, based on preliminary numbers that suggest gains of 4 and 9 percent from Game 3.

Beyond the NBA contest, an NCIS repeat led the night in total audience (with 8.2 million viewers) while Hell’s Kitchen (steady at 5.3 mil/2.2) nabbed regular programming’s best demo number.

Elsewhere:

* The CW’s The Catalina flirted with the 1 million viewer mark and a 0.4 rating, almost doubling in both measures week-to-week. Fun fact: Leading out of that, L.A. Complex reruns seem to be drawing as big as if not bigger audience (here, 700K viewers) than the in-season first-runs. (Reminder: Season 2 launches July 17.)

* Opposite the NBA Finals, Fox’s MasterChef (5.1 mil/2.0) actually added a few eyeballs versus last Tuesday and dipped only a tenth in the demo, while NBC’s Love in the Wild dropped 13 percent to lows of 4.1 mil/1.3.

Lastly, one Monday cable note: Week 2 of ABC Family’s Bunheads held steady in total viewers (with 1.64 mil) and was up 8 and 28 percent in the 18-49 and Women 18-34 demos.

1. Tran says:

Hope Thursday could end it all for LeBron James and the Miami Heat to win the NBA title. GO HEAT!

2. Sarah says:

It would be nice if ABC family would show reruns of Bunheads like they do of all of their other shows, if you can’t watch on Mondays or you forget it is on…you might as well forget about the series. The last series they did that too didn’t last long.

• ... says:

They reran the pilot at least four or five times and repeated the second episode right after its premiere, with repeats scheduled for Friday afternoon and the afternoon before the next.episode

Plus, everything’s available on Hulu, ABC Family’s website, iTunes, etc.

3. Phil says:

The CW was preempted in Chicago.. :(

4. Sarah says:

Glad to see Bunheads rebound a bit, I’m really enjoying it so far. It doesn’t really seem to fit in on ABC Family, unfortunately.

• Shaun says:

”Is that a service dog?” ”Yes,when I fall asleep in a ditch I use it as a pillow” XD

• Yeah, I’ve thought that a few times in the first two episodes. Like when her friend asks how the sex was I literally cringed and thought “wow, this is on ABCfamily?” Not that the line was particularly scandalous for a cable show but morbid sex talk is a little out of ABC’s wheelhouse. Also the quip that Kelly Bishop made about being very serious about her religion and not believing it unless she sees it made me tense up waiting for the backlash from that poke at religion.

5. BTM says:

Very happy to see Ellen Greene (from Little Shop of Horrors, Pushing Daisies, etc.) pop up on the show!

6. tvaddict says:

Yay for Bunheads! I really didn’t know if I was even going to watch the show but there are so few summer shows that I decided to give it a shot and now I am loving it! If you liked Gilmore Girls, you will definitely enjoy Bunheads!

7. Lee says:

I’m glad to hear MasterChef is doing well.

8. Alex says:

Yay Bunheads! I really like it. So suck it Shonda Rhimes!

9. Emily says:

I really like Sutton Foster. People were criticizing her theatrical expressions, but I think it’s part of the character. It’s the younger girls that bother me, particularly that cringeworthy “meaningful death look” bit, but they will probably improve and I can overlook those in exchange for snappy bar conversations and that adorable corgi.

10. Gerald says:

Love in the Wild is my summer guilty pleasure and is more successful on average than any of the Bachelor and Bachelorette programs. I think it will get better now that they are finished with the trios. I hope once the NBA is done the ratings increase.

11. ADC says:

I’m really iffy on Bunheads. There was only one thing that made me laugh in last night’s episode (the bit where the girls were talking about hell). I do really like the parts with the dancing, so I hope they incorporate more of that and less of the quirky characters (too quirky to me and not in an endearing way yet).

• Stormy says:

I was rolling on the floor watching the erstwhile Mitchum Huntzberger as a surf bum turned publican.

• jellow says:

I kept staring at the screen, thinking “Logan’s dad?.. is it… Or am I making this up?” Thanks for confirming that, lol