Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Emilie de Ravin Promoted to Series Regular for Season 2

We couldn’t have conjured up better Once Upon a Time news if you furnished us with a magical well and a flask of Windex and/or love potion: Emilie de Ravin has been upgraded to series regular status for Season 2.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Ginnifer Goodwin Is ‘Most Excited’ for the Charming Family Reunion

The Lost alum’s future with the fantastical ABC drama seemed solid given the events of the Season 1 finale, in which Belle was sprung from Storybrooke captivity to reunite with onetime flame Rumpelstiltskin and make him aware of Regina/the Evil Queen’s duplicitous act. Still, it’s nice to see it made official with the actress’ inking of a deal.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bets on Red for Season 2, Makes Meghan Ory a Series Regular

As Once scribe Jane Espenson recently explained to us, “We cast [Emilie] thinking that she’d be great for this but that it would probably be a one-shot — but if she didn’t get a pilot and she had a good time and she’s available, we knew that of course she’d be welcome back!”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time‘s Lana Parrilla: Regina’s Feud With Rumpel ‘Is Not Going to Be Pretty!’

De Ravin, whose ABC pilot Americana did not get picked up for the fall, appeared in a total of three Once Upon a Time episodes during the show’s freshman run.

What do you say, Once fans — does Belle toll for thee?

1. LOST says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!

2. Gilda says:

Fantastic news!

3. dee says:

Damn, that’s too bad. I was hoping they were going to be less cliched in season 2.

• Temperence says:

And precisely what is cliched about Belle’s beast being Rumplestiltskin?

• dee says:

Everything.

• Gaz says:

LOL daaaamn you’re such a buzz kill. Get a life. There’s nothing cliched about it. XD

• Temperence says:

As you mentioned below, you’ve got a lot of issues that are interferring with your judgement. There really isn’t anything at all cliched about Rumple being Belle’s Beast.

• Josh says:

You know, I don’t agree with her at all(love that Belle is coming on!) but she’s just stating an opinion. No reason to personally attack her.

• Temperence says:

It’s not a personal attack in any way – it’s an observation, and a founded one.

• Hanna says:

You do know that people can have different understandings of what counts as cliched, right?

• Matt says:

Personally; I don’t like the idea of Rumple being Belle’s beast, but I wouldn’t exactly consider it a cliché.

• RyanC says:

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

• Nola says:

PFFT! Whatever! I love Belle and Rumbelle. I’ve been growing tired of Snow and Charming anyway. If I have to hear them say “you found me” one more time…

• BSMJ says:

Right? Snowing is the couple that’s cliche. There’s nothing exciting or different or compelling about them whatsoever. I’m glad Emilie is a series regular now. I need to someone other than Snowing hogging up all the screentime. They bore me to tears.

• Talia says:

Thank God someone else has been thinking this. Snowing’s episodes have been some of the most boring and stereotypical episodes of the entire season. We never learn anything new about the overall plot or the mythology of the show. I’m also happy that Belle is a series regular now. We need more than just Emma and Snow. They bore me to death too.

4. Brenna says:

This totally made my night!! Excited for more Rumbelle :)

• Lexie says:

me too!! i prefer them way more than the too perfect snow and charming

• Fire says:

Me too. Rumbelle is my main ship on the show. Every other romance on the show is so bland and quite frankly, boring. Bring on the Rumbelle!

• DARKNESS says:

Me too! I like Rumbelle a thousand times more than Snowing. With Snowing, I always know what’s going to happen. And to make matters even worse, you have David Nolan. *Sigh* That character is a waste of space.

• Glassy says:

Ditto. I could watch Belle and Rumpel all day. I’m glad the writers are finally giving us something different. And I love the prospect of Belle having more screentime. She deserves it.

5. Martin says:

i liked the character but i thought it would be better in small doses, now Meghan Ory becoming a series regular was fantastic!!

• dude says:

Agreed. Can’t tell you how happy I am that Red is a regular! She’s my favourite character and when she got her major episode I thought “this is probably the most she’ll ever be on screen” so glad I was wrong. I like Belle but I don’t know if I want her to be a regular for Emilie’s sake. I feel like she deserves more than being a secondary character on a television series (even if it’s a really successful television series).

• Leo says:

I’m with you. Belle just seems so fake. I don’t know if the writers want her that way or it’s just her. And all those love for her, it’s kinda weird. She just appeared in one episode and some small screen time and people are all over her. I just don’t get it.
      Snow and Red, on the other hand, rock this show!

• Zendo says:

I agree. I like her, but I don’t need her in every single episode. And I don’t want to spoil anyone’s excitement or anything, but if she takes away screentime from the original characters I’m gonna get fed up with her soon. There is so much we still need to know about Snow, Charming, Regina, Emma, etc. Charming and Emma in particular need more real development and backstory so damn bad. If we AGAIN don’t get this next season because the writers prefer playing with their new toys… well I really, really hope it won’t happen.

• Soul says:

Well, get used to the fact that this a ENSAMBLE cast. So, you’re going to need to learn how to share the screentime. Not everyone loves The Charmings. To be honest, the frustration and absolute lack of enthusiam for the Charmings is one of the reasons why Rumpel and Belle have become so popular. We need something else other than White and Prince Charming.

• Glassy says:

^THANK YOU! People, stop being so selfish with the screentime. This is an ensamble cast. EVERYONE’S story needs to be told. Not everyone is obsessed with the Charmings. There’s a reason why Skin Deep and just about every other Rumpel centric episode always ends up in the top 3 in nearly every poll I’ve seen yet. He’s interesting and people appreciate it when the writers give us a break on the constant oversaturation of the Charmings.

• Krysten12 says:

And as part of this ensemble cast some ensemble members didn’t get a whole damn lot of character development last season, when the writers were dealing with less series regulars. I don’t get what’s the big deal? Zendo never said anything about Snowing in particular, so I don’t know where all of this Snowing hate is coming from. I’m not crazy about their romance either, but the Snow White fairytale is a large part of the show’s foundation and as such I, too, would like to see the characters involved explored in more detail in particular. Charming/David in particular was cast aside a lot last season and I would like to see at the very least one more episode devoted to the Snow and Regina backstory. I’d like to think the writers will be able to make it work and give everyone equal amounts of screentime and backstory, but I don’t blame other fans if they’re worried about that. It’s hard to imagine that they just add more and more recurring and regular characters and continue to explore the stories of all those characters that were just introduced last season.

• Erin says:

Agree! Meghan and Emilie as regulars – that would mean two of my long loved fave actresses appearing constantly on the same show, mind blowingly awesome. Despite the bias they’re easily the best female characters next to Snow.

• Alex says:

It makes sense that if they make Red a series regular, they’d make Belle one as well, now that the characters have their memories. Red and Snow were good friends in the Fairy Tale world, so as the best friend of one of the leads, it’s natural there will be more screentime for Meghan. And Emilie is the love interest of another lead, so it makes sense that we’d see more of her. Doesn’t mean more time will be given to Rumple than in season 1, but it makes sense that the screentime he does have will now involve Belle.

6. Ed says:

Love it!

7. yut says:

I don like this news…..Belle and Rumpel was so awful for me. So….

• dee says:

Me too. Romanticizing a physically and emotionally abusive master-slave relationship is just creepy.

• yut says:

I find they ruined the fairy tale with that twist. And Robert and Emilie have 0 chemistry. They seem father and daugther, not lovers.

And too many characters for this show….

• Leo says:

Zero chemistry. You read my mind!

• Linda says:

I agree, zero chemistry and to be honest, completely boring. I don’t get what the big deal is about Emilie de Ravin. I find her highly over-rated and have never liked her on any show she’s been on.

• HIT says:

I have to agree with Linda…I found her annoying on Lost. It seemed like she was constantly overacting, even with the crazy circumstances of her character’s life. I was willing to giver her another shot on Once, but I find the exact same problem with her acting on this show.

• allegradante says:

Same here. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and the show blew it. Belle was about as interesting (to me) as a wet dish rag and in no way resembled the Belle that I love. You are so right about the chemistry. I didn’t feel it in Skin Deep and in the finale it definitely screamed father/daughter and wasn’t the least bit romantic. Hopefully the writers realize this and give Belle a more suitable love interest. I just don’t see Rumpel being all mushy, happy and in love, especially since he seemed to be more interested in regaining his power than he was about reuniting with Belle. Just my opinion.

• chloe says:

Well stop watching it if it’s that big of a deal. I don’t understand why so many people are only hating. Just watch the show or don’t, and shut up about it.

• Erin says:

But that’s exactly what Beauty and the Beast is. I swear Belle suffers from Stockholme Syndrome.

• sydney says:

I was going to write Stockholm’s from the beginning. Lol. Their love story suffered because of the lack of development. I wished they just stuck with the characterization with Disney, e.g. Belle not liking the Beast at first (but eventually let each other in) and doesn’t let him push her around right off the bat.

• Marie says:

Understandable to feel this way, I did too. Rumple is cursed as the Dark One, though, and he thought Belle and Regina had tricked him. I doubt Belle will let him mistreat her anymore and hopefully she can help him come to his senses. It’s great to have another strong female character as a regular on the show, and of course Emilie deRavin is terrific.

• Temperence says:

Ah, so it’s about your personal issues.

• dee says:

If EVERYONE doesn’t have issues with romanticizing a much older man keeping a young girl as a slave, murdering someone who comes to rescue her, and physically abusing her then…

• amber says:

Please stick to complaining about this BS on LJ you’re a pretentious a-hole, we get it.

• Temperence says:

LOL! Those are some mighty seroius issues that you’re projecting. It’s always a little scary when a live person can’t separate reality from fiction (in this case, the even more extreme fairy tales). I can’t even agree with your assessment if the actual story line or the relationships – it’s a huge stretch to say that, dee.

• Sara says:

I agree. Honestly, it bothers me that these other people DON’T see a problem with it.

• Sara says:

Creepy, and disturbing, but I guess some people like that. I mean, how else do you explain 50 Shades of Grey’s popularity?

• Jess says:

I much prefer them over Snow/Charming, they’re too perfect and boring. I love Snow though, just not the couple.

• yut says:

Everybody has opinions ;). For me Snow and Charming are the show. Their story, their romance and Emma + Regina hating Snow is what makes OUaT so amazing.
        Rumpel and Belle….I dont find anything romantic.but just my opinion.

• Flora says:

Well, for me, Robert Carlyle and Emilie de Ravin were pretty much the only couple that I felt any genuine affection for…I mean, aside from Red and Gran.

• kt says:

and in my opinion, snow and charming are the dullest, most boring characters on this show. goodwinn’s breathy acting is obnoxious. their constantly repeating, about finding each other is old and they need a new tag line.

• Temperence says:

The repeating near miss was the explicit iteration of the Curse for the audience – it was planned and was necessary to ground the plotline (and if it was irritating to you, imagine 28 years of it… hence a curse). Now the curse is broken, those near misses will be gone.

• Zendo says:

I’m not crazy about Charming and Snow romantically because it’s so over the top sappy, but I agree that the Snow White fairytale is the core of the show. Doesn’t mean there can’t be other romances though.

• Krysten12 says:

That’s basically how I feel too. The Snowing romance is too Disney-perfect for me, but the characters are very much part of the show’s foundation. There is no way around it.

• kt says:

surprise, surprise, look what the negative nancy dragged in. sorry the writers rained on your golden swan parade. CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

• Krysten12 says:

Maybe we could. But the door swings both ways. You can’t complain about others being oh so negative when you just did your best to spread negativity abotu another posters’ favorite characters a few comments up.

• kt says:

the only fighting between shippers is golden swan and rumbelle, which is ridiculous. not with snowing, so my opinion about ginnifer goodwin has noihing to do with this. you’re constantly at other forums and tumblr with attacks and negative complaints about both belle and emilie and in my opinion, shows your anger and jealousy because another character is part of a fictional ship and it’s not yours.

• Amanda says:

Right there with you…..I don’t really like the Belle character at all. And Rumple (who I am not crazy about anyway) and Belle do seem more like father and daughter rather than lovers. I think Emilie’s acting is very wooden. I will reserve judgement though I guess until she has had a chance to do some more scenes. Practice makes perfect? :)

8. tvaddict says:

YES!!! I was worried when she was cast in a pilot but now I am so happy that she will be around more in season 2!

9. Goat Girl says:

Excellent news! Love the show and love her on it!

10. Erin May says:

Who the hell is leaving all of this negative feedback? This is AWESOME news! I cannot wait!

• Jess says:

That yut poster does this everywhere, lol. I figured she’d be one of the first posters to comment.

• sara says:

Not everyone likes the same things as you, shockingly

• allegradante says:

Seriously! I’m a shipper (though most definitely not a Rumbelle shipper) but I can accept that others may not feel the same way about my ship as I do. Get a grip people!

11. Jenn says:

AWESOME!!! So glad to hear it. Makes up for the bad news of Robert Carlyle being ill this week.

12. ahlataziz says:

Whilst i wouldn’t be handing the two any “best couple” awards, i did like the human side of Rumplestilskin that Belle brought out. Though i always found it unnerving that she sort of ignored all the terrible things he did and only saw the good in him.

Also, for the people complaining that there’s going to be too much of her, just like any ensemble cast there are several main characters who are only briefly seen or mentioned and i think that will be Emily de Ravin.

What i’m wondering is, is Pinnochio alive again now that magic has returned? After all, he was turned back into wood and just because magic is back doesn’t mean he’s human again. He might still be wood and the Blue Fairy might have to cast another spell on him.

Also, when they made magic enter our world, does that mean only Storybrooke or the ENTIRE globe is now able to perform magic if they have the potential to?

• Sami says:

Tbh I’m hoping that last point is cleared up soon, I’m so curious!

• Zendo says:

I hope you’re right. And Pinocchio will be back. Eion Bailey gave an interview at the end of the season in which he said that the writers told him they have plans for his character in season 2.

• Hanna says:

They better turn Pino back into his human form in one of the first couple of episodes. I can’t wait for his reunion with his dad!

13. Kristen says:

Yes! Super excited about this! My dreams comin’ true :-) Beauty and the Beast is statistically the most love fairy tale, I heard, so it makes total sense. Also, there is so much depth there and complexity as opposed to the trite Snow/Charming romance.

And wait – physically and emotionally abusive master/slave relationship? Totally not true. Not when you look beyond the surface to the psychology between the characters.

14. Jess says:

SO happy! I love Emilie and Belle so much!

15. Jo says:

YAY! Best news we could have all summer.

16. Mayra says:

Woooow! I’ve just finished watching episode 12, the first one she’s in and I was thinkink to myself ‘wouldn’t it be good to have her around?’ and then I check tv line and find that Emilie is now a series regular! I’m beyond happy :D

17. greysfan says:

Awesome news. Emilie is such a brilliant actress.

18. Taryn says:

YES! I LOVE EMILIE!

19. Lyla says:

YAY BELLE! But I though she was already signed up for a new series???!!!!

• Gilda says:

She got cast in a pilot, but it didn’t get picked up. Which is too bad, but theres definetly a silver lining!

20. houserocks1 says:

This is exactly what I wanted for Belle and Rumple/Mr. Gold. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for them as the Beauty/Beast couple. I am intrigued how their relationship will affect Mr. Gold’s interactions with the others. Having Emilie as a regular on OUAT is fantastic news!

21. Emma says:

THANK GOD AMERICANA BLOWS. Ahem.

22. Now this is awesome news!!!!!!!!

23. Mary says:

Meh. Kind of liked her better as Clare on Lost, though not much better. And I agree that there really isn’t that much chemistry with her and Robert Carlyle.

• emk says:

personally, i loved beauty and the beast, its my very favorite, not found of the beast, i say they messed up 100 percent on him, like him, yes, but they still messed up on him terribly, he was a prince, and a poor old lady came to him with a rose, asked him for some help in exchange for the rose, he refused and slammed the door in her face, she turned out to be a witch of some sort, and cursed him into a beast, big harry monster with horns, maybe a yak? the curse could only be broken when he learns to love and belle was never a princess, she was made a princess when she broke the curse, during the last petal of the rose fell, when she married him in his human forum that is… as for belle, i believe they totally nailed her character, sweet, kind, gentle, loving, scared, i loved seeing her in it, and i cant wait to see all the others, and as for snow and charming, love them too, little corny? yes, but i love them, i love all of them, their all great, love the show and everything it stands for and love where its going so far, now every one has their opinions and their thoughts, and want to share them, but why in such a rude manner? i personally didn’t like Emilie in any thing else, but in this show, she is perfect, shes my favorite, don’t get me wrong, i love the others too, but beauty and the beast was my favorite from my childhood and I’ll always love that movie and those characters, i love that rumble kill Gaston, smiley face there, didn’t like him in the movie or the show, in both, he was trying to force himself on her, she didn’t love him and never could, as for rumble/the beast, he was a mean hateful jerk in the movie and the show, that they got right, and even the bad guys need love, belle saw that he can change, she saw the good in him, and gave him her heart, so full of so much love, that it hurt him and he loved her back but didn’t want her hurt, so he sent her away before they got to close, she loved him, even though he was so cruel to her, she saw the good and that he could change, and she knew, and it was only a matter of time until she succeeded… i always wondered when a show or movie would be made like this, and i just love it!

24. Callie says:

I’m excited, I love her character, and there was definitely a lot left open for her character at the end of season 1. :-)

25. Erin BC says:

well Im happy for Emilie but I am one of the ones who is not a big fan of the Rumpel/Belle combo. And though I realize that a lot of people do, I found the fact that they made Rumpel The Beast absolutely horrible. It totally runied the Beauty and the Beast story for me because i simply cannot see Rumpel as the Beast, much less Belle as his lover. And as for Snow and Charming, I love them. I think they are the show and am most looking forward to the Charming Family reunion next season. But I am excited for Red being upgraded to a regular….. All in all though it is good news I guess… :D

• Gaz says:

Snow and Charming are boring. I swear if I have to hear “I will find you” one more time I’m going to puke. But opinions are opinions.

• Mary says:

At least there’s chemistry between Snow and Charming, there’s 0 with Belle and Rumple.

• yut says:

I agree, they seems father and daugther, no lovers.
          And you say Charming is boring. Loooooollll. So what is Belle? Boooooooring

• Zoe says:

Disagree – I think Emille and Robert have great chemistry – but that’s what makes the world go ’round.

• Talia says:

Belle and Rumpel have zero chemistry? Uh…no. They have magnificent chemistry. Some of the best on the entire show.

• Nola says:

I actually think Belle and Rumpel have amazing chemistry. You don’t gain an army fangirls without chmesitry. Come on people. LOL!

• chloe says:

I love both ships, I don’t see why everyone is attacking each other. If you hate one ship so much, then why the hell do you even watch this show? this goes for rumbellers, the snowing fandom and any other fandom who thinks they are better than anyone else. geez people

• Rita says:

I agree.

Snow and Charming are so boring. Snow is OK, but Charming gets on my last nerve and he’s such a d-bag.

I do like Rumple and Belle together, and honestly, I’m sick of hearing the “Stockholm Syndrome” crap when it comes to “Beauty and the Beast” in general.

• Nola says:

^THIS! That line drives me nuts. It’s so cheesy and overly sappy. I swear, those two could bore a corpse to death.

• Glassy says:

^NICE. I’m glad there will be other characters for us to focus on other the Charmings. They are beyond nauseating.

• yut says:

Yeah, everybody hates snowing and the charmings, for that reason ginny, jenn and josh are who have more followers loool. Fandom is funny.
            Snowing is cheesy, yes, as rumbelle. This show is cheesy, is a disney fairy tale. But is very enjoyable and magic

26. Natasha says:

Tottaly Made my night!!! Gonna sleep happier today!! :)

27. aciel says:

awsome!!! now we could have more raven and rumple scenes!!!

28. John says:

Maybe she and Rumple will get together and make a squirrel baby!

29. Aly says:

Yay! I love Belle and Rumple/Belle!!

30. James says:

They should add another villian… We have too many “good characters” and Regina/Rumpel don’t seem dangerous anymore…

31. Sarah says:

Yay!! I love Belle and Rumbelle so much! Emilie is fantastic.

Happy about Meghan being a regular too! Love this show!

32. Gaz says:

I couldn’t be happier about seeing more Rumbelle. They are the most passionate couple on this show. Sure there are very few people who dislike them but the reasons are beyond retarded. If you want to play the whole “It’s abusive” thing then fine but don’t then go on to say that you like the Disney version because he screamed at her and threw her in a dungeon in that version as well. It’s called Beauty and the Beast for a reason. And besides I seriously doubt Rumple would ever do anything like that again. As the beast in Disney never abused her again after he had fallen in love. But this is a more adult version and I’m expecting plenty of drama. And FYI I’ve been in an abusive relationship and the whole idea of Rumple yelling at Belle and throwing her in a dungeon being seen as full on abuse is laughable. Just my opinion. ;)

• Mysteyl says:

So you got worked up and started insulting others for having their own opinion, yet you expect people to respect/not get worked up over yours? Seriously, be mature and above that! What’s wrong with simply agreeing to disagree like a mature and reasonable adult?

• courts says:

He bought her as a slave. How is that not abusive?

• kt says:

he didn’t buy her as a slave, she chose to go with him in order to save her kingdom, family, friends. it was her choice. she had a choice in the matter.

33. terri says:

I’m doing the “Happy Dance” right now!!!!!

34. J.G.P. says:

Sorry for my bad English, I am a foreigner.
    I’m happy about the news that she will be series regulars, but this does not guarantee much, just look at Raphael Sbarge, series regulars, but he has very little screen time. Emma will always be the star, then workers Charmings, Queen, Mr Gold (and he is a villain so they will probably leave) and Henry. So do not think it will be much room for Belle, and Little Red Riding Hood in every case. I love Belle and Mr. Gold, but I never thought and I know they will not have a great future. Greetings from Brazil, OUAT is a great success here.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a foreigner.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a foreigner.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a foreigner.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a foreigner.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a foreigner.
    I’m happy for the news that she will be series regulars but this does not guarantee much, just look at Raphael Sbarge he is series regulars, but he has very little screen time. Emma will always be the lead, then workers Charmings, Regina, Mr Gold (and he is a villain so they will probably destroy his love) and Henry. So do not think it will be much room for Belle and Little Red Riding Hood in every case. I love Belle and Mr. Gold, but I never thought and I know they will not have a great future, unfortunately. Greetings from Brazil, OUAT is a great success here.

35. Nola says:

YES!!!!!!! BEST NEWS EVER! I live for Rumbelle!

36. Kristin says:

So not happy, the best part of Roswell was when Emilie was off it. If I didn’t love the show so much I would boycott it to avoid her.

• allegradante says:

God I hated her on Roswell! I didn’t care for her much on LOST either, so I was less than pleased that she had been cast as my favorite fairy tale character OUaT. :/

• kt says:

which is ironic, since the highest ratings on the show was the ones emilie was apart of. you need to let your immature feelings about an actress who was just doing her job, go. it’s been over 10 years. i feel sorry for people who can’t separate fantasy from reality.

37. DARKNESS says:

I’m so happy that I can barely even breathe. This news just made my entire week!!!

38. Soul says:

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!!!!! Welcome to the family Emilie! We’ve missed you so. :)

39. Glassy says:

SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! I am in love with Belle’s character. She is so adorable and I love her relationship with Rumpel. Season 2 just became a little more brighter for me. :)

40. Lolipop says:

BEST. DAY. EVER!!!! Congrats to Emilie. Belle has slowly become my favorite female character. And Emilie has done a fantastic job playing her. Can’t wait to see more of that pretty face in season 2.

41. Tran says:

I was really disappointed that Americana didn’t get pick up as a series for ABC but I’m really for Emilie de Ravin now a series regular on Once Upon a Time.

42. yut says:

It’s funny, when someone says that she/he doesnt like Rumpel and Belle….you insult Snow and Charming. Loooool. Stupid. Loving snowing doesnt mean hating Rumbelle and hating Rumbelle doesnt mean loving Snowing.
    And, whatevr you say, the truth is Snow White fairy tale is the MAIN story, so their characters have to be the most importants: snow, charming, emma, regina

43. Frivolouswhim says:

I love Rumple as a character very much, Emilie is a charming woman so good for her deal but I can’t get behind Rumple/Belle. If the show treated this relationship as a troubled and unhealthy one, it’d be fine with me. But I don’t like the romanticizing of it. As a woman I find it anything but admirable. But I can see where the show is going, too bad it’s cliché. Men always get redeemed, the abused and tortured female villains must burn. Of course.

• Hanna says:

It may get better now that other writers will have to write for it as well and it’s not just Jane Espenson’s romanticized version of the pairing and Rumple as a character. I liked the way Horowitz and Kitsis wrote Belle’s scenes in the finale and how they hinted at her being less than pleased about Rumple being all about power again. I think they will want to explore this. And Horowitz and Kitsis are calling the shots. They’re the show’s creators and they set the tone for bigger picture.

44. Sara says:

When did the obnoxious PC shippers from the Glee fandom make their way into the OUAT fandom?

45. laura meakin says:

We just saw Belle on Sunday in the UK and I like Rumple was her Beast after all a beast to one person perhaps isn’t to another person and Robert/Emilie were so bloody fantastic that I’m glad they were put together and Belle’s beast didn’t turn out to be a cardboard cut out. I’m sorry but Charming/Snow need a bit more get up and go in them. I hope the Charming/Snow/Emma dynamic will shift up a gear.

46. Catherine says:

Squeeeee! Doing a happy dance!! Bring on Season 2 and more Rumbelle! Belle is just such a ball of cuteness, but what I think I love about her is how she can call Rumple out on his bull. I hope there’s lots of sparks to come!

47. BrianR says:

YES, I loved her on every show from Roswell to Lost.

48. Lisa B says:

I know people watch shows for different reasons… but to me, who has always been fascinated by the fairy tale in all its forms, this show is extremely compelling. I don’t see these relationships as cliches at all; rather, they are archetypes, which reflect the cultural norms at the time in which they were written. Those who continually call “cliche” *and* those who constantly criticize the Disneyfied versions as well are at risk of actually becoming cliches themselves. Personally, I have faith in the show creators and expect/hope they will delve into things on a deeper level this season. I also have faith in those viewers who keep an open mind to keep watching and keep this show on the air. You can watch *any* show and claim to find a cliche ~ even the critical darlings on cable networks. At the end of the day, it will always be the acting and the character development that keep people watching, even moreso than the plot ~ and for me, this show has both of those things.

49. Robin says:

Very exciting! I really like her…always have. And Belle is my favorite…Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. I’m thrilled! :)

50. Lily says:

This is what I was afraid of with this show. The creators need to concentrate their focus on the six central characters, Snow, Emma, Regina, Charming, Rumple and Henry. There so much more of their stories still to tell. If they keep adding more and more regulars it’s going to keep taking away from their story lines, and like it or not Snow and Charming are the central love story it’s the reason why the curse was enacted in the first place. I don’t mind Belle as a part of Rumple’s story but I hope they don’t veer off and make her backstory a principal part of the show, because I don’t think we need to know anymore about her past than we already do, so her story should be limited to the Storybrooke side and how she will deal with Mr. Gold now that he has not only brought magic back but possibly his more sinister alter ego, Rumplestiltskin as well.

• Krysten12 says:

I would feel better about this if they at least wrapped up some of the stories of the minor characters last season, but most of them were left open ended. And I don’t see how they can give them the attention they deserve next season if they keep blowing up the cast. The writers often describe the characters as toys. I’m really afraid they’re gonna keep pulling new toys from the shelves to play with them for a little while, then they get bored and cast them aside and just move on to the next toy.

• Lily says:

Or worse yet, if rumple and Belle become so popular, they will change the whole theme of the show and make it the Rumbelle show exclusively.