Comic-Con

Comic-Con Update: Community In, Castle Out

Community Comic Con 2012That noise you hear is the sound of the Greendale Gang packing for San Diego. TVLine has learned exclusively that there will be a Community panel at Comic-Con after all.

Meanwhile, the mystery surrounding another in-limbo session — this one for Castle — has also been solved: The ABC hit will sadly be MIA at next month’s geekapalooza.

RELATED | Comic-Con 2012 — Your (Almost) Complete TV Lineup!

Regarding Community, there had been speculation that given all of the off-screen drama surrounding series creator Dan Harmon’s controversial departure that the show might sit out of the Con this year. But all that talk was apparently much ado about nothing. An official announcement is expected in the coming days, but rumor has it nearly the entire Greendale 7 will be in attendance.

Turning to Castle, there’s no official explanation regarding its Comic-Con disappearing act, but Castle scribe Terri Edda Miller tweeted late Monday that “the show was not invited,” adding, “[ABC has] new shows [to] put forward now.”

One possible bright spot for Castle fans: We hear leading man Nathan Fillion is slated to make an appearance at the convention, although the what/when/where of it all is still being worked out.

1. mary says:

Michael, what about Dexter? I’m kinda worried…

2. Kerry says:

YAY Community.

3. martina says:

How sad, Castle always had one of the funniest panels! I was really looking forward to it since I wanted scoops of the fifth season. I guess the wait for the premiere will be longer :(

4. Suzy says:

WTF ABC?! They should’ve invited Castle

5. Kate says:

Really bummed about Castle… Watching this cast is so much fun. Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic reading out of the Nikki Heat book a couple years ago was hilarious!

6. Melissa says:

it SUCKS that Castle isn’t going to be at SDCC… I was expecting to see the season 5 premiere promo there :'( … not cool!!!

7. T says:

I’m not even going but I am very excited.

8. No Castle? WHAT? Honestly one of the funniest panels there the past few years and I want to be teased about season 5.

9. Becca says:

That sucks about Castle, It is one of the buzziest shows out of SDCC.

That said I don’t get why Jeffrey Donovan (as he confirmed on twitter) isn’t invited for the Burn Notice panel. Bruce is awesome, but Jeff IS the star and has stated his desire to go.

Jeff and Castle don’t have a place at SDCC yet Glee does? Bizarro world.

• Cathy says:

Most hard core Comic-Con fans that I’ve seen do not want shows such as Glee there. And I agree about Jeffrey Donovan; love Bruce, but that doesn’t make sense to not have Jeff show up, too, unless they are feeding off of Bruce’s status in that world, and don’t want to pay for Jeff to go. I don’t know, seems weird.

Not going this year; just couldn’t handle the ticket situation when you login and the link doesn’t work. Have fun, everyone!

10. vikimousse says:

Yeah, Im happy about Community but very sad about Castle. Those 2 shows are very underappreciated by their networks and it’s too bad because they are really awesome !!

11. Symce says:

Seriously sad about the Castle news, I was looking forward to it, since it’s always one of the Highlights NF is seriously hilarious anytime he’s on screen. Least it seems he’s slated to make an appearance, sad about SK tho, I’d have loved to see her on the panel *sigh*

12. K. says:

When is the Community panel???? I’m going to comic con for the first time and this is just icing on the cake! Yay!

13. Dee says:

I’m guessing Nathan will be at Zac Levi’s, Nerd HQ this year? He did have a panel last year with Adam Baldwin and Jewel Staite.

14. Tran says:

#sixseasonsandamovie at this year’s Comic-Con.

15. AL07 says:

Cool Cool Cool

16. BuddyME says:

Screw you ABC!!!!!! I freaking took a day off work so I can 100% follow all my fav shows panel and what not. Mostly was looking forwrd to Castle’s, and now you pulled the rug under me. Hard. SO screw you over and over again….
    Gosh I feel ike crying

17. Liza says:

F*ck u ABC..Castle was one of the best panels last year ¬¬

18. Missy says:

Really sad about Castle!!!!!!!!!! I was looking forward to see Nathan F. and Stana K. answered fans’ questions about the couple ^^

Can’t wait for season 5!!!

19. Andrea says:

Really bummed about Castle. I get that that ABC has new shows to promote but the Castle panel was always funny and wonderful. Looking forward to season 5!

20. Rach says:

Fillion is bound to be at The Nerd HQ or roaming sdcc in a disguise, shiny :-)

21. Butters says:

For those who are sad that Castle is not going to be at Comic-Con: Isn’t Castle basically Murder She Wrote? Are you upset because Angela Lansbury is not going to be there either?

• guest says:

yeah, very funny. if you are such a purist go make fun about Glee and dozens of other shows being there. Castle has Nathan Fillion so it’s automatically Comic Con material and a big draw. besides it has tie-in comics and did a lot of geeky episodes.

• Butters says:

Glee should not be there either. Castle is not a fresh show and is formulaic.

• corsar says:

Don’t you get it, nobody cares about Castle at SDCC, but Fillion has to have a full panel to please geeks. Not some odd appearance here and there, an hour and a half of undivided Fillion attention minimum :). Who cares if Castle is formulaic, 70% of TV shows are and many of them are there. It’s all about live entertainment and geek-cred and Nathan Fillion is an ultimate nerd-crowd pleaser

• Butters says:

I get what you are saying but it is pathetic that they want Fillion there but not because of his new show. It is like Leonardo DiCaprio going to SDCC and all the folks want to hear about is his time on Growing Pains.

• gg says:

haha in fillion’s case it woulda been that soap he starred then in i think, not firefly.
            anyway as i understand it’s not even firefly they want him for, more his funnies. never been to comicon but i’v watched some vids on yoytube and the guy is funny as hell like he was born for being on a con panel, and he’s a huge geek. pure entertainment. anyway i think it’s a moot point now, comicon is more of an industry thing now, not just about comics and scifi.
            and castle is pretty horrible.

• jackoby says:

Wow. Aging troll much? Are you really comparing something airing now to something that’s been off the air for fifteen years? Or are you pissed off that I Love Lucy won’t be there either?

22. Toast says:

Castle worst show ever it’s all about community!!!! I’m really surprised that show has gone on for that long should of been cancelled years ago!!!

23. baba says:

Considering Castle has the new Derrick Storm novellas out in the coming months, Nikki Heat #4 in September, and a Derrick Storm comic book sequel in October, I would think ABC would want to promote those and get Castle a panel. But I guess since all of those have already landed on New York Times Bestseller List, they don’t need much promotion. Too bad. Castle panels are usually one of the funniest and a crowd-pleaser.

24. thiagofls says:

That Community panel should be awkward as hell. The elephant in the room will probably dominate all questions.

25. Ella says:

That like REALLY sucks about Castle. I was so looking forward to it.
    Is someone seriously comparing Castle to Murder she wrote? Cuz I’ve been a regular viewer of both and they’re nothing alike. I’m not even gonna touch that further.

• Butters says:

Are you “like REALLY” upset that Angela Lansbury is not going to make Comic-Con too? It is the same show except instead of female writer solving murders it is a male writer solving murders. Grant it, Castle does have sex however we never saw Jessica Fletcher get some because she took her cases seriously.

26. Angela says:

Grrrr, anyone who gets to go to this is officially lucky. *Curses herself for living too far away from these sorts of fun events*

27. nub says:

Community panel should be iiiiiiinteresting……
    Odd decision about Castle if it comes from ABC as it seems to, Fillion is the only major draw for ComicCon crowd on that network so why the slight? Actually he’s one of the biggest draws for ANY network. Seriously, others are worried about luring enough people to fill half of their room at SDCC and here they have a guaranteed sold-out with people camping outside just to get a glimpse of Mal/Castle and ABC is not impressed? (no joke about camping, I’ve seen how it is with Castle panels, not pretty). Either there’s something else or ABC just don’t know who is Nathan Fillion lol

28. Ella says:

Nathan Fillion will be there, otherwise all nerds will have a massive heart attack, surely for the nerd Hq thingie lol I don’t know why castle fans are sad, the panel is not very interesting, not a lot of good questions are asked, they’re all busy squeeling and fangirling. Paleyfest was the same, no offense to the cast, they are lovely and nice but fillion is usually less enthusiastic than say in a firefly panel. Stana is ubber shy in event like these. andrew marlowe ends up answering all the questions related to the show. So really we are not missing anything.

29. Vanessa says:

No Castle panel…sad day! I love Castle. Excited for Community though. I’m going to miss having a Chuck panel. My consolation was a Castle panel…sad day!

30. Mari says:

NOOOOOO I cannot believe this. For the first time ever I’m going to Comic-con JUST TO ATTEND THE CASTLE PANEL!! OMG I wanna cry. ABC is no FOX. Fox stand behind their shows. Like Bones, terrible ratings this year and still they’re going. Fringe was given a final season. ABC what are you doin!?

• Jessica says:

I would be super pissed off if that happened to me. I would only go for the Castle one too. If they were having one this year, I would really hope that people ask better questions. People always ask the most dumbest questions and then it becomes awkward. I really hope they change their minds and end up having a Castle panel. It seems like Castle and the cast keep getting snubbed for everything. They do such great work and don’t get any credit for anything. Ratings were really high this year too, and still they get snubbed for awards. Most of these new shows suck. castle really needs a Comic Con panel. Everyone is so upset over it.

31. Jessica says:

Is there going to be no Castle Comic-Con for sure? I really hope they change their mind.

32. Beasmom says:

What an incredibly horrid decision by ABC not to display the Castle panel. Epic fail indeed. Why not sieze the opportunity to expand the fan base since Castle had the best season finale of all the tv shows this season? BTW Nathan is not only reason Castle is one of the best series on tv…he has a wonderfully talented cast surrounding him such as Stana, Tamala, Jon and the list goes on.

33. is the winchester boys coming to comic-con this year? is the salvatore boys coming this year? is thomas dekker showing up this year?

34. Kim says:

Pairing good news with bad. Grrr!!! Happy about Community, sad about Castle. This isn’t what I wanted to hear. My heart is in my stomach. As long as Nathan is there I guess I’m ok, but… I really hope they reconsider the Castle panel. This is my first year going to Comic Con and that was something I was really looking forward to. *shake my head* *cry*

35. raggo says:

well, thats a bummer about Castle(( I’m not going but my friend managed to get tickets and his main incentive was the possibility of attending Fillion’s panel. He doesn’t know yet, I’m gonna break his heart when I tell him LOL. Don’t watch Castle (no offence to fans, just not my cuppa tea) but NF is seriously epic on this panels thing, you can even not be a fan of any show he’s with there and your stomach would still hurt from laughing so much, he’s great. Hope he’s still gonna be there with something for a good long panel.

36. Javi says:

No Castle? Seriously?
    You better give us spoilers anyway!

37. Chyon says:

Seriously if Castle don’t get invited I want my money back I dont want to come if there not there I mean I am coming all the way from Australia for nothing

• angelstorm says:

Wow ! You’re coming all the way just for Castle ?? That’s serious dedication ! I’m sure you’ll find plenty of other things to see – go with an open mind and you’ll have a great time :) !!