Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: Fox Sets Premiere Dates Leading Off With X Factor and Glee, Touch Gets Late Start

On the heels of NBC revealing its own roll-out schedule for the 2012-13 TV season, Fox has now come forth to detail its own game plan.

A two-night launch for the revamped X Factor (now with Britney Spears and Demi Lovato) kicks things off on Sept. 12, followed by Glee‘s return in its shiny new Thursdays-at-9 time slot. Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch brings up the rear, holding its sophomore premiere until just before Halloween.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

On tap for midseason, in addition to American IdolHell’s Kitchen and Cops: Kevin Williamson’s Kevin Bacon-fronted serial killer thriller The Following (tentatively set to air Mondays) and the Scott Foley-Becki Newton comedy The Goodwin Games (to air Tuesdays).

VIDEO | Fall Preview: Watch Full Trailers For The Mindy Project, The Following and 3 Other Fox Shows

All told, Fox’s premiere plan looks like this; new shows are listed in ALL CAPS (get details here).

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 12
8 pm The X Factor (Season 2 premiere, Part 1)

THURSDAY, SEPT. 13
8 pm The X Factor (Season 2 premiere, Part 2)
9 pm Glee

MONDAY, SEPT. 17
8 pm Bones
9 pm THE MOB DOCTOR

TUESDAY, SEPT. 25
8 pm New Girl (New episode)
8:30 pm BEN AND KATE
9 pm New Girl (Super-official season premiere)
9:30 THE MINDY PROJECT

VIDEO | Fall TV Sneak Peek: Watch the First Promo for the Fox Comedy Ben and Kate

FRIDAY, SEPT. 28
8 pm Kitchen Nightmares
9 pm Fringe (Final season premiere)

SUNDAY, SEPT. 30
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm Bob’s Burgers
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm American Dad

TUESDAY, OCT. 2
8 pm Raising Hope

SUNDAY, OCT. 7
7:30 pm The Cleveland Show

FRIDAY, OCT. 26
8 pm Touch

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Alcatraz, Allen Gregory, Breaking In, The Finder, House, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Napoleon Dynamite and Terra Nova.

Tags: , , ,

Comments (83)

• Very excited to see Bones’ early return. Upset by the Glee day-of-the-week change and timeslot change. Glee has always been Tuesdays at eight, why change it now?

Comment by Anna – June 18, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with comment by Anna. Why is Fox changing Glee to Thursdays? Terrible idea.

Comment by Trista – June 18, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I heard that it was to pair it with American Idol. they want to put two music shows next to each other.

Comment by odannigirl – June 18, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually Glee hasn’t always aired Tuesdays at 8. When the first season started, it was airing Wednesdays at 9. Then back half of season 1 was Tuesdays at 9. It only aired Tuesdays at 8 during seasons 2 and 3.

Comment by cmrice10 – June 18, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they chose a bad slot too, having it compete with Grey’s Anatomy. love both shows

Comment by A – June 18, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ll be watching Parks & Rec. Glee has been stinkin recently. It’s still got some good parts so I’ll watch it, but later.

Comment by Jess – June 18, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep, Parks and Rec. over Glee any day.

Comment by Spencer – June 18, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thirded! I love glee, but Parks and Rec wins every time.

Comment by Haley – June 19, 2012 01:00 AM PDT
    • Because Glee’s ratings are down and Fox is worried.

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox loves New Girl, don’t they? It will crash and burn as Glee did, because when Fox overhypes a show, it all goes wrong.

Comment by Phil – June 18, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Glee crashing and burning had less to do with hype than with no creative stamina. Glee had 13 decent episodes followed by 50-someodd lame ones.

New Girl, on the other hand, started to spark creatively in the second half of the 1st year, a sign that the show is actually growing and clicking. It should be fine.

Comment by John – June 18, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully the Tuesday schedule works and the fan poll of what will be watched Wed. and Thurs is accurate that X Factor will bomb.

Comment by Boiler – June 18, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The X Factor definitely won’t bomb. They may not want to admit it, but pretty much everyone wants to see Britney. I expect it to get a 6.5 18-49 demo with around 26 million viewers, and then drop quite a bit before settling around a 5.5 with 19 million viewers.

Honestly, I feel quite bad for The Voice on NBC. It doesn’t stand a chance when being compared to X Factor, especially with all of the same judges this season!

Comment by Samuel – June 18, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree totally. NBC will learn a reality show even as hot as The Voice will not last with overexposure. Another reason why I couldn’t watch Duets right after American Idol signed off. Too much too soon.

Comment by forrest – June 19, 2012 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House is also not returning.

Comment by Tom – June 18, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They probably didn’t list House because the show officially ended; the other shows were cancelled.

I’m still irritated by the cancellation of Alcatraz and The Finder. They were both great shows!! Fox needed to take a page out of Walter’s book…”Eh, Im’ma risk it!”

Comment by TideGirl79 – June 18, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would like to see Alcatraz, The Finder and Terra Nova come back. They were really great shows. I am sick of all the reality and singing shows coming on.

Comment by Stacey Updike – September 3, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love The Finder! It was a great show.

Comment by Sarah – September 18, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree that “THE FINDER” is/was a GREAT show and it should totally be back on!! It should have never been cancelled in the first place! I am a reality show junkie(or I was anyway…) and even I say that there are way too many singing shows!! I still love Canada/America’s got talent and Big Brother (way to go Canada for FINALLY stepping up with our own version!!) and the first season of duest was awesome….. But way,way too many singing shows!! And if u notice… Its sometimes at the cost of shows that ppl really like. If it were up to me…
          I would bring back Walter and Leo in the finder and the firm was pretty good too and that’s gone too! Let’s hope that the new shows that are starting this fall don’t have the same fate! If u like a show…watch it!! They cancel shows when there’s not enough viewers!

Comment by Lizz – September 27, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • September 17th cannot come soon enough…ready for Bones to return

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – June 18, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This new schedule will not help Raising Hope’s ratings at all. :(

Comment by Carmen – June 18, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Fox moved RH to 8:00 pm for a few weeks this past season, RH was the only show of the night that didn’t lose a large amount of viewers. It should do okay.

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I for one am glad that “Raising Hope” is back!! That’s a good show. And its funny in a relatable way lol… The family is a regular, disfunctional, hilarious family! :) and its cute to watch little Hope grow up with her daddy and let’s face it…lol the g.parents too lmao :) and “Maw Maw” is the BEST!!!

Comment by Lizz – September 28, 2012 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones back earlier for a change. I’m excited!

Comment by geraghtyvl – June 18, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So we have an extra-long wait for all of the actual good stuff? WTG Fox as usual.

Comment by Kristina – June 18, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least I get one week before I have to start choosing between Glee and The Office/Parks & Rec.

Comment by Shosie – June 18, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’ll give the office another go after that last season, but park&rec is a no brainer! Love that show, definitely >>> Glee.

Comment by Jess – June 18, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is New Girl’s “ALL NEW EPISODE” and how is it different from the season premiere? Was there an episode left over from last season?

Comment by joe – June 18, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when the fug will Breaking In’s final episodes air?

Comment by Taelor GitMunny Rye (@taelorrye) – June 18, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to ask the same question! It’s slightly off-topic but I was just thinking about that reading this :( I would like to see the rest of them.

Comment by Jerry Glonek – June 18, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Thursdays are good for Glee! Can’t wait to see Rachel, Finn, Kurt in NYC!

Comment by Day – June 18, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bummed that the finder’s been canceled

Comment by Jennifer Addington – June 18, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto to that, my good lass.

I loved that show so hard.

Comment by Ryan – June 18, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its odd not seeing house up there. its sad

Comment by Seraph – June 18, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Following sounds like it would have been better being paired with Fringe.

Comment by Ryan – June 18, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO excited for Bones to return! I’m counting down the days. :)

Comment by Alanna – June 18, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, I’m really looking forward to checking out The Mob Doctor. It looks like it’s going to be interesting.

Comment by Alanna – June 18, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As for “THE MOB DOCTOR” its a good show….so far :) and I’m excited for the premieres of… “CHICAGO FIRE” and “NASHVILLE” Hayden pantierre as a singer….who knew!! Another show that’s gone I think that was shapping up to be a good if not great show was “NYC 22″ it started on one night (Friday I think…) and was changed to sat nights and now its gone :(

Comment by Lizz – September 28, 2012 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one week earlier and that post-it note combination entry code for Massive Dynamic (092112#) would have proven truly prophetic!

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 18, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • X-Factor was the only reality show I’ve bothered watching in the last year but now that Britney Spears is on it, I will steer clear of it. When she made her appearance on Glee I was so disgusted and annoyed that I quit watching the show for the remainder of that season. Speaking of Glee, I think the time change is a huge mistake. Too much is on Thursdays.

Comment by Ally – June 18, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!

also. i thought she was fine on Glee. IIRC, she really didn’t act in it. she was like in fantasy/music video sequences, if anything, no? if she did anything more, i probably blocked it out/forgot about it. despite all the crazy things she’s done, i still enjoy her music. she’s had a tough time with her life in the spotlight, and while i may not approve of some of the mista… er… decisions, she has made, she’s still a person.

anyway, from what i heard, she was actually supposedly really funny in HIMYM. but i wouldnt know. ive only seen clips and they were amusing, but otherwise, i dont really care much for that show.

irregardless, i am also not very fond of the time slot change. i am still watching Grey’s and The Office/Parks and Rec plus Up All Night, as well as Supernatural, which I think has also been moved to Thurs. thankfully i have 3 TiVos in my household, but still, it is super annoying to have to remanage my Season Passes to make sure things are recorded properly. (I have multiple shows recorded on multiple TiVos for redundancy, in case i ever run into problems… if anyone was wondering, which none of you probably weren’t :p)

Comment by Steven John – June 18, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A WORD!

Comment by MLO – June 18, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not a huge fan of britney, not a hater. My feeling toward her are ambivalent, she doesn’t inspire strong emotions in me one way or another (although some of her songs are annoyingly catchy). But she was really funny in HIMYM.

Comment by Jess – June 18, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK ‘THE FINDER’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Amy – June 18, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Finder is gone I think because Mike Clark Duncan died. (Leo) I loved that show.

Comment by Dwan A – September 25, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s very true he did pass away (RIP Mike Duncan) but I’m sure they had ordered it to be cancelled before he passed as much as that sux! I still think they should have renewed it and recast the part of Leo or change it up a bit and use someone else as his bodyguard/best friend/partner/etc. And besides I’m sure they could have recasted since everyone knows Mike Duncan passed.
        I still think “THE FINDER” should come back!! I for one would love to know what would have happened with Walter and the girl (can’t remember her name) and the teen gypsy and her cousin and the arranged marraige…. LMAO

Comment by Lizz – September 28, 2012 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Glee doesnt do good on thursdays, it will have 88 episodes by the end of the season, so Fox will probably cancel it if ratings are bad. If they renew it despite ratings, theyll probably give it a shortened fifth season.

Comment by Jake – June 18, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox might want to let everyone know there is a chance that Bones won’t be coming back after this upcoming season. According to David’s Twitter, he’s done and moving on.

Comment by Linda – June 18, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to Hart Hanson, he’s not. So FOX would be wise not to say anything until everyone gets on the same page.

Comment by Emily – June 18, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who are you going to believe? The actor who actually said it or someone else?

Comment by Linda – June 19, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • can david move on to a buffy reunion? lol I’ve been rewatching BtVS and damn, that’s good tv. Reunion or movie please! (in my dreams i know) Just get somebody to explain Angel and Spike’s mysterious aging problems stat! :D

Comment by Jess – June 18, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They could say because they both have souls, they age now, but slowly or something.

Comment by Mikael – June 19, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I figured as much.

Comment by kirads09 – June 18, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for bones to return, as for glee on Thursday don’t care for it anymore lost interest in season 2 so I’ll stick with my usual viewing of greys on Thursday at 9pm.

Comment by Aussie – June 18, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee may actually fare better away from the ABC vs CBS Tuesday night battle.

Comment by smidnite – June 18, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As opposed to the ABC vs CBS Thursday night battle…?

Comment by Emily – June 18, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will we know ABC’s schedule?

Comment by Meggo – June 18, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe this week or next week.

Comment by Tran – June 18, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks to cancellation happy Fox I literally watch nothing on this network. It’s such a relief.

Comment by Renee – June 18, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 9-28-12: The final season of Fringe. :-)

Comment by Tran – June 18, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why is touch returning late??

Comment by Atawewe – June 18, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are definitely trying to kill of Glee with that new spot. Sayonara, show. You should have been done a while a go.

Comment by Amanda – June 18, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Bones!! I’m so exited <3 <3

Comment by Astrid – June 18, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I gotta chose between GA live or Glee live. One of them will have to go to the DVR. Damn,

Comment by Mary – June 18, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am grandfathering in: These last 13 episodes of Fringe. Also Touch for as long as it continues (which I don’t think will span beyond this next season sadly.) But that is it for me on Fox for the foreseeable future.

Not really a sacrifice on my part. I don’t like Glee at all. Bones I can take or leave. I won’t watch Chef Ramsey. Can’t stand “reality” talent competitions. Animation domination doesn’t appeal to me in the least.

Fox just isn’t offering me personally anything of value any longer. Yes, I am still gutted by two premature cancellations from this past season. \
    For these reasons, Fox lost me as a viewer.

Comment by kirads09 – June 18, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still gutted too. Wonder when it will pass honestly.

Comment by Renee – June 18, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice that Fox is also starting early like NBC, since The CW isn’t this season. I can still give some shows a chance before the rest of the networks start.

Comment by Ram510 – June 18, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the Goodwing Games, when? I’m looking foward to that show!

Comment by paula – June 18, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Midseason, as it says in the third paragraph.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 18, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee vs. Grey’s Anatomy. That is really gonna suck for me. Naya Rivera or Sara Ramirez? My heart. My heart. My heart.

Comment by C.P. – June 18, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am freaking out about Glee being in the Thursday night slot at 9:00… That’s not really the best idea. I mean, Glee is my favorite show. I understand that it may have gotten slightly odd… But I am still an intense Gleek about it. And they are just dooming my favorite show now. The further you push it back, the harder it will be for it to become successful. That paired with the fact that everybody will be watching those other shows means that Glee and its fellow Gleeks are screwed! I hope that we don’t get screwed over!

Comment by Roxanne – June 18, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It really is no contest for me …It is Greys Anatomy all the way…B

Comment by maria – June 20, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup no contest…. Greys all they way!! Even though the premiere was not what I(or anyone else I’m sure) was expecting. Especially since how it ended last season and the trailer for the premiere….. I was expecting some questions to be answered. Like how were the rescued, if Christina can’t stand to fly how did she get to Minosotta(spelling?), how did caleigh (Sarah rimerez) react when she found out and saw Arizona, what about hunt and yang, and SO many more questions. From the trailers it showed a gurney rushing in and yang screaming about the accident. Not even any flashbacks. And Alex hasn’t gone to Hopkins yet.. Avery hasn’t gone to Tulane.. I have to say as happy as I was for it to be back I was slightly disappointed with the premiere. :(
      But Scandal was a good (not great) premiere, private practice was good, except that Pete died and everyone thought he jumped bail…including his wife! (wow!! they didn’t think much of him if they thought he would jump bail!) csi was good too…curious when csi Miami starts though. And the CW show the witch one(can’t Rene

Comment by Lizz – September 28, 2012 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How sad Finders not coming back! Do you think a smarter company will pick it up? Excited for fringe, and touch! Fringe better have a good send off
    I don’t enjoy this reality television surge, if I wanted reality I’d be out living it!

Comment by Natalie – August 21, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring finder back! Please!

Comment by Tj – September 29, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love bones…. But i also wish the Finder would have returned…this is very upsetting

Comment by Rachel trombley – October 9, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post