Critics' Choice Awards: Homeland, Community, Breaking Bad, Parks and Sherlock Win Big

Get More: Awards, News

Critics Choice AwardS Winners 2012At the Broadcast Television Journalists Association’s second annual Critics’ Choice Awards, held Monday night in Los Angeles, Showtime’s freshman hit Homeland was named Best Drama, while series lead Claire Danes took home Best Actress in a Drama honors.

Breaking Bad also won twice, for Lead Actor Bryan Cranston and Supporting Actor Giancarlo Esposito. Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks was the night’s only repeat winner, having shared the Supporting Actress honor last year.

On the lighter side, Community was honored as Best Comedy Series, while Louis C.K. (Louie) was named Best Actor and Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) split the Best Actress prize. Parks and Rec earned a second award, for Guest Performer Paul Rudd.

Awards-show favorite Modern Family claimed a pair of wins, for Ty Burrell and Julie Bowen in the supporting categories.

In the TV-Movie/Miniseries categories, PBS’ Sherlock had a lock on the top prize, while series lead Benedict Cumberbatch was named Best Actor. Julianne Moore won Best Actress, for her turn as Sarah Palin in HBO’s Game Change.

The complete list of winners, in the order they were announced, follows:

Best Animated Series | Archer, FX
“The clip they showed wasn’t as funny as the other clips because our show’s really dirty,” Aisha Tyler noted as cast and producers accepted the award. “If you watch it, there are lots of boobs…. So check it out.”

Best Movie/Miniseries | Sherlock, PBS
“If you haven’t been watching Sherlock, get started,” said Mel Rogers, president of PBS SoCal. “You’ll get hooked.”

Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries | Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock

Best Actress in a Movie/Miniseries | Julianne Moore, Game Change
“You can’t give any kind of performance without a [great] story,” the actress/Sarah Palin mimic noted, “so I’d like to thank the Republican party for fostering a truly amazing political story.”

Best Reality Series | Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Travel Channel)

Best Reality Series – Competition | The Voice (NBC)
“Thank you to Jimmy Kimmel ,who predicted this moment a half hour ago,” Voice host Carson Daly said in accepting the award. “The heart of The Voice is great stories…. We wanted to make uplifting family television and it has really resonated.”

Best Reality Show Host (TIE) | Tom Bergeron, Dancing with the Stars … and Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Wow!” Deeley exclaimed as she arrived at the podium. “I came here seven years ago, I think, and it was just an adventure… and I’m very, very lucky to do a show that I absolutely love. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think…. So thank you very much!”

Best Talk Show | Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (NBC)

Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series | Paul Rudd, Parks and Recreation
Accepting for Rudd, Parks and Rec‘s Nick Offerman read a (fake) note saying, “If this is for that movie I did with Amy Poehler, it was awesome and all of the dudes were really handsome.”

Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series | Lucy Liu, Southland
“I didn’t expect this at all,” Liu said. “It’s just been such a thrill to be working with such a wonderful cast and fantastic crew.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series | Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad
“I want to think the universe for putting me here and allowing me to be present and for allowing me to be so enamored and inspired by the people in this room…. Aaron Paul, I share this with you and all of the other nominees.”

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series | Christina Hendricks, Mad Men

Best Actor in a Drama Series | Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Best Actress in a Drama Series | Claire Danes, Homeland

Best Drama Series | Homeland (Showtime)
“We’d like to dedicate this the to the writing staff of New Girl,” said EP Howard Gordon. “Homeland shares a bathroom with New Girl and they’re a surprisingly hygienic bunch.”Critics Choice Award winners

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series |
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
“I just can’t believe I have a job. I spent the bulk of my life unemployed, so much so that when I walk into a room like this my first instinct is to case the place for food. My fake wife (Julie Bowen) can attest to that.”

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy |
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
“This means a lot coming from [presenter] Ginny [Goodwin], who started her career playing one of my students on Ed… which is weird because we’re the same age now. It happens,” Bowen said with a laugh. “Thank you for recognizing a show that is so fun to do with such fun people. Thank you to my fake children, especially my daughters who provide me with the non-penis time I’m never gonna get at home.

Best Actor in a Comedy Series | Louis C.K., Louie

Best Actress in a Comedy Series (TIE) | Zooey Deschanel, New Girl … and Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Aubrey Plaza, accepting for Poehler: “Amy said she trusted me, that I would know the right thing to say. So… on behalf of Amy, I want to thank the devil and all the dark lords!”
Zooey Deschanel: “Oh my god, I’ve never won anything before. Literally not since 5th grade student council… Liz Meriwether, thank you for creating this show. Ugh, I love you. Best cast ever. I feel like I should be funny. I wish I had the Parks and Rec people to accept my award for me.”

Best Comedy Series | Community (NBC)
“Hey, we won something! This is really unexpected,” series lead Joel McHale said in accepting the award. “I want to thank Dan Harmon, who created the greatest show on television…. We would like to thank NBC for keeping us on the air…. Jokes all aside, we are thrilled to be here tonight.”

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association also released its list of “Most Exciting New Series”: Fox’s The Following (premieres midseason) and The Mindy Project (debuts Sept. 25), ABC’s Nashville (premieres in fall), HBO’s The Newsroom (June 24) and USA Network’s Political Animals (July 15).

Comments (157)

• Omg, yay Sherlock!

Comment by Barbie – June 18, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yay Cumberbatch!!!

Comment by Barbie – June 18, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yayyy, so well deserved.
        Next…….the Emmy’s

Comment by me – June 19, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Movie/Miniseries | Sherlock, PBS

The easiest choice of the night by far.

Comment by Zachary – June 18, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble BETTER Win for his underrated work in FRINGE!

Comment by Arthur Bishop (@WalterBishopFAN) – June 18, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He won last year… but Breaking Bad wasn’t eligible.

Comment by Johnny – June 18, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dont know with this group, that Julianne Moore win threw me. He is great in Fringe.

Comment by tonilost – June 18, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Matt ,

Thanks for the live updates :). Ausiello tweeted a few minutes ago that COMMUNITY was going to Comic Con . Is this for sure ?? Go HUMAN BEINGS !!

Comment by Jan – June 18, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ausiello don’t tweet no lies, so….

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 18, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My whole brain is crying right now . YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

coolcoolcool :)

Comment by Jan – June 18, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agh, really?
        Man, I wish I lived close enough to go! You people on the coast get all the fun stuff.

Comment by Angela – June 18, 2012 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Sherlock is finally getting some recognition!! :D

Comment by robinepowell – June 18, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this being shown on TV? I’d like to watch the awards..

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing news for Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch. CONGRATS!!!

Now if Breaking Bad and it’s cast can win, I’ll be very happy. Happier, that is.

Comment by AB – June 18, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Sherlock! Lara Pulver should’ve won, too, though.

Comment by polly – June 18, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would get to the comedy awards, I gotta get to bed!

Comment by Robin – June 18, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! Fallon won.

Comment by Atawewe – June 18, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, is there any webcast for this?

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not tonight, no.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 18, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There should be a ‘best genre series’ award to encompass fantasy and science fiction. This has become a major player in scripted programming.

Comment by Matt Hickman (@hemo_jr) – June 18, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna sit here and keep refreshing and refreshing until Homeland and Community win. Work can wait.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! Sherlock series and Benedict Cumberbatch are AMAZING. So happy for this win!!!

Comment by Sam – June 18, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Voice shouldn’t have won, it is a steaming pile of overhyped, pretentious crap.

Comment by HughOS – June 18, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As opposed to any other reality show?

Comment by Will – June 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Giancarlo Esposito should just start making room on his trophy shelf for his Emmy now.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to go Giancarlo Esposito! He was awesome, terrifying, and amazing in Breaking Bad. Glad he got some recognition. Emmy is next I hope!

Comment by AB – June 18, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to see Giancarlo Esposito recognized for his great work on ‘Breaking Bad’, but I am surprised Peter Dinklage or Aaron Paul didn’t win.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Esposito ( Gus) won even though John Noble deserved it most. He’s by far the best actor of the bunch but, most critics wouldn’t know since they don’t watch fringe. plus I think he did win last year anyway so w/e. lol

Comment by Arthur Bishop (@WalterBishopFAN) – June 18, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like ‘Breaking Bad’ is going to clean up in the drama category. Not surprising, and totally deserving. Cranston should be a lock for his 4th Emmy and hopefully the show will finally win too.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Cubernatch or Moffat in attendance?

Comment by Jtek – June 18, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Cumberbatch!

Comment by Jtek – June 18, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cumberbatch (and I assume Moffat) are in London atm. The President of PBS SoCal accepted the Sherlock award, so that’s why I assume Moffat isn’t in attendance.

Comment by katya – June 18, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Besides best supporting actor, the drama categories were pretty easy to guess who would win. Cranston and Danes were locks.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah! Breaking Bad didn’t win best drama? I loved Homeland, but Breaking Bad deserved it more.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. Homeland was wow after wow, but Breaking Bad was “Holy s(p)it!” after “Holy (d)uck!” after “Oh my god!” every single episode.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 18, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland!!!! F yeah!!!!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland for best drama??? You guys have lost your minds.

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? It’s a GREAT show, if you haven’t watched it. Up there with BB.

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve seen it, and it is not better than Breaking Bad. It is a good show, but there is just no comparison. Glad to see Claire Danes won, she was great in the show.

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree it was a great season, but not as good as ‘Breaking Bad’ season 4.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parks and Rec or Community better win best comedy series or I will burn this page down lol

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And Amy Poehler as well :P

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I will now since Modern Family didn’t win

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF, critics? Nick Offerman snubbed again!

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Danny Pudi and Donald Glover snubbed again.

Comment by Will – June 18, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • should have been nominated as “trobed”

Comment by watt d fark – June 19, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, yeah, Modern Family. The same ol blah blah blah…

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kinda have to agree. Nick Offerman should have won.

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same old awesome

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurraayyy for Benedict!! Congrats :D i love that man <3

Comment by Emma221 – June 18, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If there is anyone I wanted Katey Sagal to lose to it was Claire Danes! YES. :)

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But yeah, seriously tired of the constant Katey snub. So glad she at least pulled ONE upset and won that Golden Globe. :)

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Working in the medical field, I thought she did a great job of acting as someone with severe bipolar disorder. She really nailed it.

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I definitely agree! That’s why I said in my original post I was really happy that she won. She isn’t my favorite actress or character on TV these days, but Claire did terrific work this season so. :)

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, MF over Community actors? I call BS.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I call smart thinking

Comment by Mike – June 18, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh please. Community may be a better comedy than MF but by no means are the actors on community better than the actors of MF. Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell deserved their awards and rightfully so.

Comment by Sean – June 18, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh lord, ‘Modern Family’ is cleaning up. I thought the critics loved P&R and Community? Poehler better win best actress.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really??? Louis CK over Joel McHale??? Modern Family over Community???? wtf!

Comment by Nicole MacGregor (@destinoscelgo) – June 18, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Louis C.K. wins. I like that choice.

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Order is restored with Louie C.K. winning best actor. Now give me Amy Poehler for best actress and P&R,Community, or Louie for best comedy.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Critics” lose a lot of credibility with the MF supporting actors wins. Come on, this isn’t a popularity contest.

Comment by Rissa – June 18, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No they gave it to the best

Comment by Mike – June 18, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It isn’t a popularity contest. They were just better than everyone else in their category. Stop crying foul when MF actors win. The show may not be the funniest, but the acting skills are top notch.

Comment by KimmyLee – June 18, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ty Burrell and Julie Bowen are the best tv couple and have held modern family together this season. You can’t not love the dunphys!!

Comment by BG – June 18, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louis C.K. winning (almost) makes up for the Community supporting losses. Almost. I do like Louie a lot.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy and Zooey? Score for the quirky girls!!!

Comment by Barbie – June 18, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lovely speech from Julie!

Comment by joe – June 18, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How in the world did Z.D. tie with Amy for the win? That is a travesty.

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. A tie? Pfft. Amy is the only winner for me.

Comment by Eliza – June 18, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. Zooey could not be more overrated.

Comment by Josh – June 19, 2012 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for Amy Poehler! Even if it was a tie, everyone knows she deserved it.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ron Swanson rules!

Comment by Ann – June 18, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Zooey, but you have got to be kidding me.

Comment by Rissa – June 18, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooo! Nick Offerman should’ve won!!! And Supporting actress? ANYONE from Community. :( this is nonsense.

Comment by Lisa Matthew – June 18, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope MF is better shame they didn’t win best comedy but hopefully now the Community fans stop complaining

Comment by Mike – June 18, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People who think Modern Family is a good show don’t understand logic.

Comment by Will – June 18, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • MF hasn’t been worth watching for two years. Every episode is a carbon copy of the one that aired before it.

“Each unit of the Pritchett clan faces a struggle that is similar/connected to the struggles the other two are facing. They overcome them separately, share some useless screen time together, and have dinner together -again- where everyone jokes about how quirky and annoying the three Pritchetts are while simultaneously mocking Gloria’s accent. Then Jay does his voice-over, explaining why the struggles they faced made them closer as a family and cracking a bad joke.

I will freely admit I haven’t regularly watched this since early in the 2nd season, but the odd episode I do happen to watch follows that same pattern almost exactly.

Comment by Rissa – June 18, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, these awards started off so good, but y’all screwed it up with the Zooey win. Amy Poehler, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, hello.

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!

Comment by Lisa Matthew – June 18, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, it was a tie. Oh, well… it should have been an Amy/Julia tie, though.

Comment by Josh – June 18, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community wins Best Comedy!!! Yeah!!!

Comment by Sal – June 18, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leonard likes this post 👍

Comment by Leonard – June 18, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I’m pleasantly surprised by that news. Congrats, guys!
      Also a bit of a surprise to see Jimmy Fallon win for talk show. But hey, congrats to him, too.

Comment by Angela – June 18, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reasons it good Community won Best Comedy
    1. Good Show
    2-5. Its fans can stop complaining

Comment by Mike – June 18, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good job on getting Community right. I can almost forgive you for getting the best drama wrong :P

Comment by AJ – June 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family was robbed, hopfully the Emmy voters have better sense.

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness!!!!!!!! I was getting scared there for a minute. I wasn’t sure how the show could get 6 nominations and not a single win. I can breathe now that it’s all ended well with a Community win. I know the stakes aren’t that high with these kinds of things, but that somehow just makes it extra scary.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post