The Killing Season 2 Finale Recap: Who Killed Rosie Larsen? Well….

Get More: Finales, Recaps

The Killing Season 2 FinaleStop! If you haven’t watched The Killing‘s Season 2 finale, back away from this SPOILERIFIC recap, and come back later. Otherwise, welcome, and come on in…

Maybe now Sarah Linden can finally catch some shut-eye.

In one somber, twisty hour, we finally got the answer to the question we’ve been asking for two seasons now: “Who killed Rosie Larsen?”

And while, yes, it was Darren Richmond’s campaign aide Jamie Wright who chased the teenage victim through the woods, brutally beat her, and stuffed her into a trunk, it was Rosie’s own Aunt Terry who put said car in drive and sent the girl to her horrific, watery death.

“I didn’t know! I didn’t know it was Rosie!” pleaded Terry, who’d done the evil deed thinking she was killing a random girl who’d overheard Jamie colluding with Chief Jackson and Terry’s wealthy married boyfriend Michael Ames on a plan to sink Mayor Richmond’s Adams’ waterfront development project and then profit with an alternate scheme of their own.

And to be honest, while I’m glad Jamie turned out to have blood on his hands — really, last week’s penultimate episode took him too far down the path of guilt for some final, last-act twist to absolve him — Terry’s awful, awful involvement was, as Holder put it, yet another example of wrong place, wrong time. And certainly wrong action.

A few other thoughts/observations on “What I Know”:

* If I had one complaint about the finale, it was the lack of the Linden-Holder dynamic that’s kept The Killing deeply compelling even in those moments where I wondered if the writers had a real plan for an ending. Aside from her drab brown sweater, the usually vividly painted Linden didn’t seem much different in Season 2′s final hour than most obsessive TV detectives, while Holder had few opportunities to flex his winning brand of Zen street sarcasm. I’m going to hold out hope these cats come back for a third season — just so long as the Larsen case is put to bed, and a new murder becomes their dual obsession.

* Anyone else find it chilling how the raucous laughter of the Larsen kids in the opening scene — flashing back to Rosie’s final day on Earth — sounded very much like the screaming of a murder victim?

* I’m kinda glad Jamie was killed off (by Holder’s gun) in the opening 15 minutes, since his whole descent into “I did it all for you, Darren!” madness made him seem more pathetic than scary. Still, those flashbacks to the actual murder were bloody awful: Jamie discovering Rosie at the casino construction site and realizing she’d overheard the illicit pow wow; Jamie “accidentally” knocking videocam-wielding Rosie to the floor as she tried to flee the scene, and thinking he’d killed her in the process; Rosie waking up and fleeing Jamie’s vehicle, only to get chased down in the woods and put back in the trunk (but did he have help getting her body out of the casino undetected?); Terry, overhearing Ames and Jamie trying to concoct a plan of what to do with the bound and battered girl whose existence threatened the futures they’d planned; and Terry, putting the car in drive, knowing that Ames’ unscrupulous waterfront idea had to become a reality, or he’d never have the money to leave his wife.

* That last bit, with Rosie’s screams audible under the plinking, almost peaceful piano music, was like a punch in the gut. And that it was shown against the backdrop of Terry confessing her crime while sitting on Rosie’s bed, Stan and Mitch listening aghast in the doorway, was like a punch in the gut with a two-by-four. Yeah, she maybe didn’t know it was Rosie, but she knew it was an innocent human being she was slowly drowning! Yikes.

* I probably should’ve known that Darren had already gone to the dark side the morning after his victory in the Mayoral race. I mean, what kind of person would be able to whip up a press release spinning the death of one of his closest advisors while sitting no more than 15 feet from a patch of carpet covered in said advisor’s blood and gore? I guess the kind of person that could agree to a closed-door meeting (sorry, Gwen, you’ll have to wait in the hall!) with Chief Jackson and Michael Ames just a day after learning they were tied to the killing of a girl in the name of his campaign, a killing that he’d been accused of and — as a result — had lost the use of his own legs. Here’s hoping Gwen takes the high-profile election win and uses it to find a better gig with a better candidate!

* I liked that Linden pieced together Terry’s involvement when she spotted the Bad Auntie’s broken taillight, and realized she’d been the one to bring Ames to the lake on that fateful night. But the revelation made me wish the whole Beau Soleil subplot had never happened: I mean, Rosie having knowledge of her aunt’s involvement with an escort agency was, on its own, a believable plot development; but then we also have to buy that Rosie was friendly with the son of Terry’s married lover, and that by sheer happenstance, Rosie ended up on the 10th-floor casino construction site at the exact moment said married lover was conducting a nefarious business meeting? That just seems like one coincidence too many, no? Or did I miss something over the expanse of two seasons that would help me make sense of it all?

* That final scene of Rosie’s “What I Know” film short may have been a tad cloying, but I can’t quibble with the Larsens having a brief respite from grief after the worst October ever endured by a single household in the history of ever.

* What happened to Jack? Not even another quickie phone call? Oh, Linden, you may be a fascinating character, but you remain a pretty crappy mother to the bitter end!

And now it’s your turn to share some thoughts on The Killing finale! Ready, set, sound off!

Tags:

Comments (186)

• I knew Terry had something to do with it, but Jaime’s involvement was pretty lame..

Comment by Rachel – June 17, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Much of it was pretty lame, unfortunately.
      The crowd I watched it with thought it pretty much a let down. I guess when you string people along for two seasons, there better be a decent payoff.

Let’s see.The end result was basically Rosie ended up dead by happenstance. Jaime didn’t really do it. Terry did it, but not with the intention of Rosie being harmed. No sense of justice. No sense of satisfaction at closure.

Is there a reason Stan is moving into a new home, when we figured he’d probably be saving dollars for legal fees. Did I miss something? One minute Stan was facing serious charges for almost beating Rosie’s teacher to death. Extended prison time. Did the governor grant him clemency or something? WTF!

Sud promised after the first season brouhaha that this season we would find out who killed Rosie and see another case started. I guess when Holder left because a dead body had been discovered, that was the new case. What, you didn’t expect generosity at this point, did you.

Linden and Holder are classic together. If they were solving cases at a rate that didn’t require 26 hours to tell, think of the tales that could be told.

Comment by filmex – June 18, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I agree that the “wrong place, wrong time” scenario annoyed me slightly, and I guessed it was her aunt Terry 2 weeks ago, I LOVED that she was unaware she had killed her own niece. I thought that was a fantastic twist, much more satisfying than my thinking she had purposely killed her niece to protect her future plans with Ames. I almost want to go back and see her reaction in S1, EP2 when she found out it was Rosie. This is assuming the writers knew where they were going at that point.

As for Stan’s facing charges, I just think that the whole point of the show (aside from the investigation and reveal of the killer) was to see how someone’s murder affects the people around them in real-time. And since it was only a few weeks since her murder, they wouldn’t have been able to realistically show that since court trial dates don’t happen that quickly.

And the second case: Am I the only one who thought that Linden discussing her arresting the wrong man in the other case that put her in a padded room was going to be the next one? She never caught the real killer, I just figured he’d either strike again or she’d re-open the case.

P.S. Anyone who hasn’t seen Forbrydelsen yet: The killer is better, but I have to say the American motive makes much more sense to me. Either way, the reveal in the Danish one is superb, assuming you can make it through 20 episodes of subtitles. It’s hard to always keep your eyes on the screen, but it’s worth it.

Comment by Lo – June 18, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I too thought that Linden telling the doctor she put away the wrong person in that other killing was an introduction to next season’s case.

Comment by lauradlc – June 18, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Is Forbrydelsen available as DVD for Region 1 players yet or, if not, how else to watch it w/out a Region 2 player?

Comment by gina – June 18, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • As far as I know it’s not. I’ve been hoping/waiting for it to become available on region one players.

Comment by Antoinette – June 18, 2012 11:01 AM PDT
          • The investment in a region free or region two player is totally worth it. It opens up a whole new world of quality television viewing. Mine only cost me $72. And now I have dozens of Region 2 DVD’s that I couldn’t see before. I just noticed that Dexter season six is out in region two now and we have to wait until August.

Comment by Carolyn – June 18, 2012 05:55 PM PDT
          • I have been wanting to see Forbrydelsen, also. I’ve read on British sites that it’s available in the UK. Of course, that’s another Region, so does us no good. I understand that woman detective wears the same sweater all the time, just like Linden.
            If we do get a Season 3 I hope that gum chomping is over (she IS smoking again, after all) and that horrible sweater can bite the dust.
            Quit the force? What is she going to do? Where is she going to live. Is she ever going to put Jack first? When she left him in that crummy motel room with a fever over 101, ‘and some Tylenol’ I was furious. You can’t love your child more than anything and leave him so much for a case.
            I have to add, it did make me sick to see Richmond-business as usual-with those people responsible for Rosie’s death; and planning a whole crooked scheme, that Jamie set up. But Darren jumped right in bed with them. Politics kills morals, apparently.

Comment by Broadwayfan – June 18, 2012 09:49 PM PDT
          • should be a crime to oblige the industry to make material for different regions… Its a mess that creates difficulties for consumers and makes it expensive to deal with. Personally, if I often travelled to the States or Australia or to any other “regions”, I’d consider to buy a DVD player from the same region. Its a shame that consumers in a globalized world are testricted to live in a local world…

Comment by sergio – February 1, 2013 04:50 AM PDT
        • Why did Terry drive the car into the water in the first place?

Comment by Bailey – June 18, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Terry drove the car into the water because she overheard Jamie begging Ames to kill Rosie because Rosie had overheard everything and would ruin their plans. Ames didn’t want any part of murdering anyone and told Jamie that he wanted out…the deal was off and he wasn’t leaving his wife. Terry overheard all of this and drove Rosie into the water so Ames wouldn’t change his plans.

Comment by Debbie – June 18, 2012 11:58 AM PDT
          • Terry never knew it was Rosie in the car. But she was willing to sacrifice some unknown if it would keep her love plans on track with Ames.

Comment by filmex – June 19, 2012 12:23 AM PDT
      • Stan already bought the house before Rosie was killed. He was planning to surprise Mitch and the family with it. He tried to sell it before Mitch came home.
        Each episode represented one day after Rosie’s killing, Stan’s trial wouldn’t come up for months – not 20 or so days after he attacked the teacher. I liked the pace of the show and how it showed the way Rosie’s death affected everyone around her – family, friends and the detectives.
        As to the death by happenstance, I think that was the point – everybody and nobody was the “bad guy”. Real life is rarely as neatly tied up as most detective shows; I for one appreciated the realism and hope they will be back for a third season.

Comment by lauradlc – June 18, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, there are real life evil bad guys, and they are caught, killed and captured on a daily basis.
          And you can take some kind of pleasure when a dangerous person is taken out of circulation.

After 26 hours of beating around the bush, they might as well have told us it was some random guy who chased Rosie into the woods, she ended up taking refuge in the trunk of the car, someone had forgotten to apply the hand brake and it simply rolled into the water.

It was the Lincoln Town car that killed Rosie! An equivalent payoff.

I like ambiguity, and have an abundance of patience. But this wasn’t Lars Von Trier creating “The Kingdom”. This was Veena Sud peddling a two-year shaggy dog story that didn’t do the two leads justice.

She left season one unfinished, without having any commitment at the time from AMC that there would even be a season two. If people spent 13 hours devoted to the series, and never found out who ‘the killer” was, no big whoop to her.

That was her first FU to the audience. Her second was the promise that season two would see a new case. She simply can’t be trusted.

Comment by filmex – June 19, 2012 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i wish i seen part 2 i have to go somewere to get the seasons does anyone were i can get the seasons please help

Comment by ROSE – July 25, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does anyone know where I can see this 2 hour finale on-line? I missed it adn would lvoe to see it. Thinking of getting Netflix just to see it,b ut I don’t really want to.

Comment by Shannon LeViner – May 6, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it. Excellent finale. Am hoping they’ll be another season.

Comment by Pamela – June 17, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was great….A real cliffhanger…Love the cast !!!! But she was a lousey Mother !!!!!

Comment by Marlys – June 18, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Terry was probably the best mom on the show–Midge and Linden were both trainwrecks.

Comment by filmex – June 19, 2012 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is so true… go figure!

Comment by ginav – June 22, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But the only reason why Terry was such a good mom was because she felt guilty.

Comment by Cali4nian – August 1, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the finale well enough but Rosie’s movie just seemed like manipulative claptrap. It was like Veena Sud really wanted to do like she did with the victim always appearing at the end of every episode of Cold Case.

Comment by Dr. Bombay – June 17, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing Dr. Bombay must have felt like crying at the moment and doesn’t want to admit it.

Comment by Joe – June 18, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have no problem admitting when I cry during movie or TV show. But I don’t want to be manipulated into it. The whole movie thing made no sense. Every indication prior to last night was that Rosie led this secretive life. But if she loved them all the way her video made it out, why was she planning on leaving without saying a word to any of them? The killer kept the film but dumped the backpack?

Comment by Dr. Bombay – June 18, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The day after Jamie dies, Linden and Holder are at the station and Holder shows her the missing film from Rosie’s camera in a plastic bag. Jamie had stashed it away at his grandfather’s house. One of them put it in their mailbox. So, it didn’t just magically appear, it was foreshadowed. It was a bit subtle because I thought Rosie’s friend with the tattoo was the one who had it at first.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 19, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah I understood how the family got the movie. But it makes no sense that Jamie would have hung onto the film but gotten rid of the backpack. I’m sure he wanted to make sure there was nothing incriminating on it but as soon as he did he would have destroyed it, especially considering he did dump the rest of her backpack. And if he went to the trouble of keeping the film, why didn’t he keep her phone too since if would have been possible for her to have recorded them with that as well?

And where did that other film with the guy with tattoo and Rosie riding her bike come from?

Comment by Dr. Bombay – June 20, 2012 04:26 AM PDT
        • Oh, and the backpack was put in the trash by someone at the casino. Jamie didn’t hang onto it.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 19, 2012 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was superb.

Comment by Hi – June 17, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. When Jamie was confirmed as the first hand in it, that was not a surprise after last week’s episode but Terry’s involvement was the extra twist the finale needed and then Richmond’s conversion at the end was a little icing. Holder telling Linden she got the bad guy and her response was telling. Many bad guys…many levels of involvement. Excellently done. :)

Comment by Kim R – June 17, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, the ending nicely tied everything up. However as far as the show itself, I think this should be the finale season. I think people were so burned by the whole thing that hey should just quit while they are ahead.

Comment by JenM – June 17, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I often had trouble understanding Holder. What did he say to Linden in his final scene in the car after he gets a phone call? He says they have found a body on a beach, and then I cannot understand his next words. And why does he tell Linden to “stay in touch”? Are they no longer partners?

Comment by Natalie W – June 18, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Holder got a phonecall telling him that they had found a body at the airport. When Holder told Linden about this she got out of the car (I don’t know if that means Linden was thru and didn’t want to deal with anymore cases or what.) When Linden poked her head in the car Holder told Linden that ‘we got the bad guy.’ Linden said, ‘Really?? Who??’ (I have no clue what Linden meant by that response.) Holder hesitated and told Linden to ‘keep in touch’ and he drove off. I would think by Holder saying ‘keep in touch’ it left the show open to either continue or go off the air. The fact that Holder got a phonecall that a body had been found left the door open to start a new season with a new case.

Comment by Debbie – June 18, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Linden meant that “the bad guy” Holder was talking about, both Jamie and Terry, were not inherently bad people, but simply made terrible decisions for what they felt was a greater good at the time. Jamie wanted her silenced but he didn’t have it in him to just kill her. Terry just wanted to be with Ames and coldly murdered who she thought was a complete stranger. Love makes you do the wacky.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 19, 2012 02:40 AM PDT
          • To TigerNightmare: To cold-bloodedly kill an innocent makes you an inherently bad person, even if you are doing it for a reason other than pleasure. Duh.

Comment by Wy – June 21, 2012 11:20 AM PDT
      • I keep seeing a mention of Holder telling Linden she got the “bad guy”.in S2 finale. Everyone is missing that the reference is to a scene between Holder and Linden in the 1st episode in Season 1 when they first meet. very first Day 1 – Linden’s supposed last. Holder thinks thats the reason homocide will be better than narcotics duty cause you get the “bad guy”. Linden responds ..”Oh yeah. Who’s that?”

Comment by Edge – August 31, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. And the actors who played the adult Larsons, including Rosie were all phenomenal. I literally sobbed so hard when Terri was telling her story that I’ll have a migrane for the rest of the night. Most realistic, non-flinching portrayal of grief I’ve ever seen in fiction. And if they hadn’t stretched it out for these two seasons, it wouldn’t have had the same emotional release. Outstanding. Kudos to the whole team.

Comment by Ruby – June 17, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the finale. I always thought the killing had to be connected to the Larsens somehow, so glad to see it was Aunt Terri. I know a lot of people were frustrated with this show, but I definitely enjoyed it more than Mad Men this season. I will miss seeing Holder and Linden every Sunday.

Comment by Anna – June 17, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved Rosie’s film.

Comment by Matt Marquissee – June 17, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty cool finale. Looking for one more try to see if can maintain.

Comment by Bob – June 17, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was some twist! I was frustrated at the beginning on how easy and neat it for that it was Jamie! But that twist was heartbreaker! I Had tears in my eyes after Terry started talking!!
    Maybe now linden can stop wearing those sweaters and sleep also!

Comment by amyche8 – June 17, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Secretly, I was hoping that Linden would close the show with the famous quote: “I guess that I picked a bad day to quit smoking.” And, I agree, burn the sweater and get some sleep! If they came back with a new case, I’d watch it. Rolling Rosie’s movie at the end was a cool and classy move. Finally, I’m probably wrong, but didn’t we just watch a 2-year crime drama that didn’t have a soundtrack? Jim in Texas

Comment by James Robins – June 17, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was that a series or season finale?

Comment by Mary – June 17, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is history.

Comment by Rocky – June 17, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They did it to themselves…Season 1 was brilliant, they should have resolved the case then…and they just dragged it out in Season 2…if they advertise that the killer will be revealed in the S2 finale why should we suspect ANYONE they name in the first half of season 2…the cast was brilliant, liked a lot of the characters but this darn season 2 writing…one too many plot twists…Terry’s involvement felt so “forced” like well Jamie can’t be “the only killer”….lets get fancy…Currently downloading the Danish version and looking forward to it. I don’t wanna see a season 3 of the US show, if someone asks “why did I keep watching” it’s b/c I had invested my time and interest in who the killer was and I was gonna stick it out till the end of Rosie’s case..now that’s it’s solved I’m done with the AMC Killing. I still have the Walking Dead and Mad Men!

Comment by Supes – June 18, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought the show was brilliant from beginning to end. I LOVED that the killing wasn’t resolved in Season 1 and didn’t feel it was dragged out at all. Terry’s involvement made perfect sense. I wondered why she was so damn sad all the time, and very early in the show, Linden commented that the chasing in the woods seemed aggressive, like a man was behind it, and the drowning was passive, like a woman was behind it. So it all was neatly foreshadowed.

Both seasons of the show were brilliant acting, directing and writing.

Comment by Robert Browne – June 18, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree – totally don’t get all the hate. Sure it had some pacing problems, and the whole “Who killed Rosie Larsen?” thing season 1 was a freakin’ PR fiasco from Hades, but the actual product was top-notch. Allman broke my heart last night.

Comment by Annie – June 18, 2012 04:35 PM PDT
          • I agree totally! It was difficult for me to watch the episodes when they originally aired so I just watched the entire run of seasons 1 and 2 on netflix (not all at once!) and it was amazing! I was chewing my nails and clueless until the murderer(s) were finally revealed. Loved every minute of it.

Comment by Angela – March 23, 2013 12:29 AM PDT
    • No one knows yet. AMC hasn’t renewed or canceled it.

Comment by Chloe – June 17, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the show and would love to see another season, but how is that even possible given the way it ended? When they got the call about the body by the airport, I had some hope that this wasn’t the end, but when Linden got up and walked away, what else could it possibly be?

Sadly, I think this was the series finale.

Comment by Doug – June 17, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well they can do more seasons with different characters and even a different city if they wanted to. I think in the original Danish version the Linden character walked away at the end of the season the same way but ended up getting brought back in on the next case in the second season. I’m not positive though, haven’t watched them just read about them on wikipedia.

Comment by AJ – June 17, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • SPOILER ALERT FOR DANISH KILLING

In the danish version nanna brik larsen (rosie) was killed by someone else & the final showdown took place in the woods with her family there and Lund (Linden) minus her partner as he is killed earlier in the season its the murder of her partner that casts a shadow over her position and indeed is demoted and when season 2 picks up Lund is now without son and boyfriend doing border control. Yes, she is called upon to look into new case with new partner in s2.

Having read the comments of you guys I’m glad I’ve seen the danish version both s1 and 2 on bbc4.

Comment by laura meakin – June 18, 2012 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Knew Terry had something to do with it…for quite a while now…but it still seemed rather anti-climatic…Jamies involvement was strange and Darren’s conversion to “evil” side is about as asinine as the one that horrible star wars movie where the good guy turns evil in like 4 seconds….I hope this show doesn’t come back for a 3rd season…it was a cool story, but at every SERIOUS moment….it was just flat. oh well…

Comment by opcyn – June 17, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why did jamie want to get rid of her

Comment by morgan – June 17, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He didn’t *want* to…but she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment by Ruby – June 17, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My question is why was Rosie there? What was she doing there?

Comment by Laura – June 17, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When she worked at the casino, she would go to the 10th floor to look out at the city. That night, she wanted to see it one last time before she left to see the world.

Comment by Emily – June 17, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s where Rosie and her friend would go and have a smoke.

Comment by Melody – June 17, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WE think Rosie was having an affair with the guy Aunt Terri was with at the lake who was in on the casino deal with Jamie.

Great show, beats US Television by a mile.

Comment by Robert Denis – June 17, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought she was there filming parts of her movie that we saw at the end because she had a camera.

Comment by Bailey – June 18, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rosie was there because she wanted to get one last look at the city…she was leaving town. Remember the notes she wrote her family in the video? She said that she wanted to see the world and that she would let Stan & Mitch know where she was once she got there.

Comment by Debbie – June 18, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Killing never fails to deliver superb performances from its actors. What a tragic finale. I think everyone lost something, except for maybe Holder.

Comment by Emily – June 17, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suspected Terry all along but even so it was a great ending to a great series. I didn’t suspect that Richmond would turn out to be like all the rest though why am I suprised? Politician after all. I am hoping for a third season. Love Holder and Linden

Comment by Mara – June 17, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mara.. I agree with you on the Richmond thing. I was surprised and disappointed that he turned out to be no better than Mayor Adams. When Ames and Chief Jackson walked into the conference room I couldn’t believe it. They were part of a conspiracy to hide a murder and it looks like they got off scott-free (which the help of Richmond I’m sure). It is politics after all.

I’m glad the Larsens are getting a fresh start and for the moment of happiness they finally got while watching Rosie’s video.

Comment by Tenney – June 18, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • On the Richmond thing. He has for sure changed. To even consider working with Aimes and Chief. But I guess the calculus the indian bones, and new casino to replace the Waterfront project is a ggod idea after all. Strange for Richmond all the same after all the character he’s displayed up to this point. Maybe his exchange with Mayor Adams is the point. Adams makes it seem like he was just like Richmond not so long ago. I think the Indian Casino thing would come apart anyway because Terry’s testimony and either confession, or trail conviction would implicate Aimes complicity in the murder. Same as Jamie’s. Same charges as on Chief. Obstruction of justice.

Comment by Edge – August 31, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the last evening of her life, why was Rosie even in a hotel that was being remodeled?

Comment by Ginger – June 17, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh have you not watched the show at all?

Comment by Anna – June 17, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you have been watching the series,they explained that a few episodes ago.She was leaving Seattle and wanted to see it one last time and you could see the city from that view.

Comment by Keith – June 17, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • do holder and linden become romantic

Comment by morgan – June 17, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was there to say goodbye. Went up there to get a view of the town before she left.

Comment by Theresa – June 17, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was great! I have always loved this show..even when it got tedious at times. I knew it would pay off in the end. It was such a great finale. The actress who played Terry did such a superb job. My heart was breaking once the truth came out. And then Rosie’s video towards the end..ahh I cried so much! Seriously, this show wrapped it all together very well. Kinda sad for Terry’s character though. She was so crazy in love..literally. Killed her own niece. Yikes.

Comment by Jake – June 17, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • read above and got my answer…thanks…Ginger

Comment by Ginger – June 17, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beautiful and haunting in every way. I hope there is a 3rd season. Very soon. These are some of the best actors in the business and they blew me away every single week.

Comment by Booger – June 17, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was a very gut wrenching finale… I’m kind of pissed that Aunt Terri who was arguably throughout MOST of the series one of the most likable and sympathetic characters had to be the killer :( … I also HATE HATE HATED Nicole and Michael getting off and Richman turning to the dark side… That was awful. I’m glad Linden is leaving the force… pretty much the only happy moment for me.. .and the family has survived minus Rosie, Belko, and Terry, but I guess it’s nice that the four of them seem ok… Im really upset with the finale, but that isn’t to say it wasn’t very emotional and well done… UGH… I didn’t want it to be Terry even though I was quite sure it was. ..

Comment by Jesse – June 17, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually weird, but I never would have guessed it was Terri. I susppected almost everyone except her. So heartbreaking when she realised she killed her niece. But honestly i can’t believe she didn’t realise before. It’s not like many murders happened that night…

Comment by Marisa_once – June 17, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She knew as soon as Rosie’s body was found but she’d been keeping the secret. Hence her hovering at their house all the time trying to help out…she was trying to assuage her guilt. She didn’t just realize in this last episode…

Comment by Ruby – June 17, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted above average. I liked the twist but didn’t think it was an excellent episode. I wish we’d seen more of Linden & Holder, who are the reasons I watch the show. Enos & Kinnaman did excellent work, even if you didn’t like how the series progressed. I was really disappointed to see Darren go to the dark side, but my heart broke for Gwen. I liked that Holder & Linden dropped that film off at the Larsens. Jamie’s death didn’t bother me. I hate that whiny “I did it for you!” crap when what was done was entirely inexcusable.

Comment by kate – June 17, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought some of the middle episodes of this season were the some of the best. “Keylela,” “Off the Reservation,” and “Sayonara, Hiawatha” were great. Even two weeks ago, the episode “Bulldog” was really good. This wrapped everything up, so I can’t complain, but I wish it had been more…focused.

Comment by kate – June 17, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Linden going at the end?

Comment by Kathy – June 17, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An almost perfect ending to a brilliant series.

Comment by Sorb – June 17, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We totally enjoyed the finale and had never guessed this ending. Hoping for a third season w/ a new case and clean clothes ;-)

Comment by Joan – June 17, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was terrific and shocking. Rosie’s film was a great finish. Thank goodness for the Larsons. Please renew this great show.

Comment by Eric frazee – June 17, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some fine performances in this series. For me, notably Joel Kinnaman, Brent Sexton, Billy Campbell and Mireille Enos. Does anyone really believe Linden walks away? Want to see another season with the Linden-Holder team.

Comment by Mara – June 17, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The worst thing that would have happened to Chief Jackson would have been probation. She didn’t even know Rosie was up there until after the killing. As far as the show tonight, I thought it was gut wrenching. I suspected Terri was involved somehow for several weeks and when Jamie was killed 15 minutes in I knew. I really do hope there’s one more season!

Comment by Chris – June 17, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two things confuse me. How did Jamie get Rosie, alive but covered in blood, downstairs in the casino so she could escape to the woods in the first place? The elevator camera showed him getting on alone after the meeting Rosie overheard. Second, Ames was present at the murder. Linden & Holder didn’t know that when they first said they didn’t have enough evidence to charge him. But they knew for sure (and had a witness) after Terry confessed. But he’s still free at the end.

Comment by Jim Henshaw – June 17, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he was present but he didn’t commit the murder. there were quite a few loose ends which will hopefully be resolved if there is a 3rd season. But if this was the series finale, I am ok with the ending. Ames wasn’t that major of a factor for me.

Comment by allie08 – June 17, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah….there are a few holes. I don’t recall seeing that Jamie was on video leaving the 10th floor, but that’s a legit question. How did he get Rosie out of there without any help from Chief Jackson or her security? They had to do the clean up of the blood I imagine, so that makes them an Accessory to Murder After The Fact. Same with Ames….just because he didn’t push the car in, doesn’t mean he’s not guilty of murder. He’s an Accessory to First Degree Murder…..why they couldn’t charge him with anything makes no sense to me.

Comment by Irishgirl – June 17, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After seeing Chief Jackson and Ames walk into Richmond’s office, I “assumed” that Richmond helped them out in some way. Terri was paying for killing Rosie and the people who set things in motion got off because they are rich and powerful and Richmond devolved to be no better than Mayor Adams. That’s the message I got from that scene anyways.

Comment by Tenney – June 18, 2012 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great show. I thought aunt Terri had some issues all along. glad you kept evil indian queen. darren closing gwen out was predictable but he will probably rue the day. guess next year we work on the bad guy killing… love the show

Comment by Patty – June 17, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it. I understand why people quit watching but the last half of this season has been fantastic. Loved Rosie’s video at the end – the view of the city from the 10th floor of the casino and the way she let her family know that she loved them and wasn’t leaving because of them. It was a bit pat but I loved it all the same. So many Emmy worthy performances tonight – Jamie’s “confession & the look on Midge as the truth hit her about her sister in paticular. Would like to see more seasons but I doubt it will be renewed.

Comment by allie08 – June 17, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great ending,great twist. Love Holder-Hope to see a new season with a few showers and a change of clothes.

Comment by Darsi – June 17, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great twist with Terri – especially since she didn’t know Rosie was the girl in the trunk. The “hooker with a heart of gold” finally had her shot with the rich guy and the only thing in the way was this “witness.” THAT was the most believable aspect of the whole story. The only bummer about this hour was the lack of Holden/Linden, but I suppose that’s why it was called a two-part finale – where it was heavy on them. I hope the series gets another season with a new mystery – just promise to resolve it in one season – if it’s two tell us in advance!

Comment by DenverDean – June 17, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the only thing in the way was not only the “witness” but the fact that Ames said he was never going to leave his wife

Comment by Connie Hoar – June 17, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, but Ames was going to leave his wife for Terri….that’s the point. Terri did it because the “random girl” in the trunk was going to ruin all that. That’s what drove her to do it. Ames told Jamie at the lake that the deal was off…..meaning no business of his own, so therefore no money of his own, so no divorcing his wife now. But prior to that, he was going to leave.

What I don’t get is didn’t Terri hear Rosie screaming? Wouldn’t she recognize her niece’s voice?

Comment by Irishgirl – June 17, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You wouldn’t recognize a voice in a situation like that because you’d never think that it was someone you knew. You’re kind of in shock at what you’re doing in the first place, it’d never register.

Comment by Ruby – June 17, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was ok but I must admit I did not watch the second season until the final episode. It was nice to have the snopsis of what happened this season to catch me up. I am not sure if I will wat h next year or not.

Eoh

Comment by Elaine hoffer – June 17, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Jamie had something to do with Rosie’s murder from the first episode. He was a zealot, and gave me the creeps. I honestly didn’t suspect Terri, that came as a shock to me. I found this whole series riveting entertainment, the characters were complex, and the acting superb.

Comment by picesmaiden – June 17, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • does anyone remember after the funeral when Ames showed up at the Larsens how Terry lit up when she saw him and he looked at her with such disgust. I could never figure out why ? until the finale. what ever happened to Tom Drexeler I thought he might have been in there somehow.

Comment by liz – June 24, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the episode, though my mom never stopped talking, asking all kind of crazy questions~I had to recap the show for her between comercials LOL! but the end was superb! Hope to see the show back. :)

Comment by patchouli – June 17, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could anyone think this season and the preposterous finale was anything but complete dreck? This show started out so great last season and episode by episode ended up being such an unbelievable pile. What a waste of acting talent. We kept watching because of Linden and Holder, and we were rewarded every week with one hour of our lives being lost forever to stupid subplots and red herrings. Jamie’s final speech to Richmond was straight out of a Van Damme movie, completely out of character. “You and me Darren–we could take over the world!” Rosie’s reason for being on the 10th floor “because she wanted to say goodbye to the city” was completely ridiculous. Linden’s whole Jack subplot was such a flimsy way to add tension to the show, conveniently dismissed when they didn’t need it anymore. Mitch’s Big Adventure, hanging out with the prostitute on her vacation away from her family–come on! Linden gets knocked out and ends up in the crazy house–her cardboard new boss getting in the way of the investigation–don’t get me started!!

Comment by TeddyRuxbins – June 17, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, aren’t you so much more enlightened than anyone else. See, that’s what you get when you only watch because of one or two characters. But FYI, this show was about a family losing their daughter too. Oh, and a political campaign. It’s not the writers’ fault you can’t focus on more than one thing.

Comment by Ruby – June 17, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Get behind me, Veena Sud…
        No, the show wasn’t that good. The focus on the family during the investigation could have been interesting, had all the explanations being deeply in debt to formulaic procedural story-telling. The guys who were responsible ultimately did it because of a series of extremely convoluted coincidences. This is a show where a girl who was Terri’s niece AND Ames’ son’s girlfriend AND a girl who had been photographed next to Richmond during one of his TV spots happened to take a smoke break that allowed her to catch a glimpse of Seattle around midnight, just in the middle of some hush-hush powwow, while she had brought her camera with her (but didn’t use her).
        Then Jamie, who had beaten the poor girl to a pulp AND driven her 20 miles away assuming she was dead AND driven her 10 additional miles away realizing she was alive AND put her back in the trunk after she escaped, wasn’t man enough to push the car in the lake.
        And after his confession, Jamie still assumed he had Richmond’s trust…

I don’t have any issue with a show that takes a few liberties with strict realism. But “The Killing” had dug the corpse of realism out of its grave, raped it a few times, and urinated on it, then claimed to be a sensitive show about a murder investigation.

By the way, what was the point of Terri going on vacation to find her true self? What was the point of another guy (who wasn’t interested in any news about …) being the biological father of Rosie? What was the point of having the two candidates in the election being both involved with underage girls (Richmond with his Beausoleil prostitutes, Mayor Adams raping Gwen)? What was the point of aping the final scene from The Godfather (Gwen being shut out of the political talks, just as Kay saw the door being shut on her…)?

The investigation was basically 24 episodes of prologue and self-congratulation (“We’re extending this like in real life because we’re so realishtick!”), then a double episode of some standard procedural cop show.

And I really loved Duck Phillips (or what’s his name here?) popping out every episode, just to say Linden and Holder to stop investigating or what a great job they did…

Comment by Dwigt – June 18, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I completely agree. Whatever happened to Richmond being the scary guy from the Beau Soleil site that tried to kill a girl? That was proven with his email, right? What about the whole scene at Richmond’s apartment that night with Linden? An innocent guy has that kind of bizarre discussion with a cop? BS.

Comment by Wy – June 21, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would like to see The Killing come back because I love Linden and Holder together, but I would prefer different writing.

Comment by Wy – June 21, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couple of things…..it was Mayor Adams’ waterfront project….not Councilman Richmond’s. And I thought Holder’s “wrong place, wrong time” comment was regarding Rosie, not Aunt Terri. I didn’t think he was talking about Terri….that cliche doesn’t soften what Aunt Terry did because in the end, she was still willing to kill someone.

I knew Aunt Terri was involved somehow, but I didn’t think to that extent. Am ridiculously disappointed in Richmond’s change in attitude. And where the hell is Linden going??

Comment by Irishgirl – June 17, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hopefully she is going to get her head screwed on straight so she can actually be a mother to her son.

Comment by allie08 – June 17, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixed the typo! (Obviously, I was voting for Richmond)

Comment by Michael Slezak – June 17, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guessed it was Terry from season one. There was a scene at the end one of the episodes from season one when Terry escapes to Rosie room durning the condolence gathering and she puts on a Neko Case album “Fox Confessor Brings the Flood” ( they show the album cover for a sceond). As she was listening to the song ” Hold on Hold On” she begins to cry. The scene was riveting and the expresson on her face was of pure anquish and regret.

Comment by David Tenenbaum – June 17, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, by their own admission, the writers from season one hadn’t decided about the identity of the killer then…

Comment by Dwigt – June 18, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know if they ended it the same way as the Danish version – Jamie and Terry??

Comment by Sparky – June 17, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Might have to check Wikipedia….but I don’t think so. ***Possible Spoiler*** I think it was Belko in the Danish version.

Comment by Irishgirl – June 17, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Danish version was different, not the same people committing the murder.

Comment by picesmaiden – June 17, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the Danish version Belko is the doer

Comment by Susan Zahller – June 18, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the finale. Tied up most of the loose ends nicely & terrific pacing. I have loved the show from Day 1; however, it has had its issues. I cannot help but wonder, if only TPTB had kept their word & revealed the killer in the S1finale or even mid-S2, we would likely have a 3rd season coming our way. As things stand, it is unlikely to happen. In terms of wrap up, I suspected Jamie early on and always felt something was off with Aunt Terry, but that twist was genius! It really was unexpected . Richmond going to the dark side was a bit cliche, but I really felt for Gwen. Loved Linden walking away from the prospect of the new case, but it won’t stick if there is another season. All in all, very satisfying wrap up.

Comment by Leigh – June 17, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I waited 2 seasons for that? I hope this show is gone.

Comment by William – June 17, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about YOU go instead and leave it to the non-haters?

Comment by Ruby – June 17, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrible show. Had promise, but tanked quickly. What a waste. If (and I’m thinking it’s a big if) it returns, I will not be tuning in.

Comment by CJ – June 17, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are people talking about a third season? I haven’t heard of any plans for a third season. The series was completed tonight.

Comment by picesmaiden – June 17, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @picesmaiden – Incorrect. AMC has announced neither a cancellation nor a renewal yet.

Comment by Simon Jester – June 17, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree. I can’t imagine it dragging on for further seasons.

Comment by guest – June 18, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched two whole seasons for this?? Awful. I think the writers must have sat up all night throwing every scrap of idea about “Who killed….” into the pot. But the worst part was the addition of gruesome flashbacks of the actual murder: like seeing a snuff film. Totally gratuitous. I frankly didn’t care for anyone by the end of the season, except poor Rosie, her death used to drive a plot both flimsy and complex. I hope poor Jack, sent off to Chicago, is faring better now. By the end of his plot line I was hoping Linden would be turned in to Child Protective Services. I am really, really disappointed.

Comment by Shelby Sampson – June 17, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt season 2 (and part of 1) was like watching a massive car accident..you don’t want to watch but you can’t look away. Sad because the last couple of episodes were promising and exactly how it should have been. I love the ending, I wish the entire season had been like that (instead of complete lack of plot development for episodes after episodes)

Comment by guest – June 17, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was happy with the finale and I love the show but I do agree it dragged a lot. Just combine the beggining of Season 1 with the last few episodes of Season 2, erase a lot of the stuff in between, and the show would have faired better.

Comment by Olive – June 18, 2012 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why couldn’t Jamie just destroy the camera? Who the hell is going to believe a 16-year old in complex political machinations? A simple threat would have solved matters especially when she’s, I would assume, trespassing. The motivation behind most of these actions seems poorly thought out/executed even in a heat-of-the-moment scenario. Logic, donde está??

I have never voted ‘subpar’ before but I felt this merited such a score. The ~big twist was sloppy, the most compelling part of the show (Linden-Holder dynamic) was almost non-existent, Jamie became a cartoon, Richmond’s overnight turnabout makes no sense, There’s a reason Michelle Forbes cried throughout.

Props to Joel K for delivering the best line of the night. His pitch perfect delivery of a sarcastic “Thanks” to the keystone kop who rudely ignored his request to shut that conference door.

Comment by Mía – June 18, 2012 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we ordered a burger and got fed a bunch of pink slime… if I were a writer for law and order or csi, id be asking for a raise or go look for a sandbaggers job at amc

Comment by Casey – June 18, 2012 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As Holden made it to the finale in one piece if there is a s3 be interesting as Lindens (lund’s) partner is killed in the Danish version and in s2 she has a new partner to deal with while solving more than one murder in s2. I can’t see how AMC will manage to do s2 of Forbrydelsen justice if s3 hope they go in a whole new direction…. Far far away from the original.

Comment by laura meakin – June 18, 2012 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great ending. I’m so glad I came back for the second season. I, too wish there’d been more Linden/Holder dynamic in the finale. I guess, technically, only Terry was the killer, but Jamie was the real evil person in this. He kept trying to “accidentally” kill Rosie, but apparently wasn’t very competent. Terry’s involvement was an emotional reaction: still a murderer, but no premeditation. Somehow, I kept expecting Terry to be Rosie’s real Mom, but that was quashed in a previous episode. Wouldn’t that have been some sort of circle completion, with Terry ending up totally insane, something in keeping with Greek mythology? It’s funny but early in the show, I kept going back and forth between Jamie and Terry as the killer, then moved on to other suspects. Good red herrings, writers! By the final few episodes, I really wanted the killer to be Nicole, she’s so completely self-serving. But, in the end, Richmond turned out to be the coldest one of all. What, his dead wife told him to sell out on one of his many visits to her grave? Now I wonder what she was like. I tend to imbue the unknown-to-us person in the grave with more virtue than he/she probably had in real life, benefit of the doubt and all that. One thing I’m not quite sure about: did Linden quit at the end, or just choose not to go to the next murder scene?

Comment by arial2 – June 18, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post