Emmys

Eye on Emmy: Benedict Cumberbatch on Playing Sherlock at 50, His Mad Men Envy and That 'Mortifying' Downton Abbey 'PR Disaster'

Benedict Cumberbatch SherlockWhy Sherlock’s Benedict Cumberbatch has yet to be nominated for an Emmy is a question that might befuddle even his super-sleuth alter-ego. But, rather than solve the mystery, this year it might instead be resolved. Not only is the actor’s name — memorable as it is — on the verge of becoming a household one, thanks to his appearances in two of last year’s Oscar contenders, War Horse and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but he’s also collared a plum role (rumored to be that of Capt. Kirk’s nemesis, Khan) in the highly anticipated Star Trek sequel. On top of all that, his work in his PBS hit’s second season was — almost unimaginably — better than his work in the first. In the following Q&A, Cumberbatch talks about “switching on” the Sherlock engine, looks ahead to Season 3 (and beyond!) and shares his real thoughts about Downton Abbey.

TVLINE | Of the three episodes in Season 2, Masterpiece has chosen to submit “A Scandal in Belgravia” for Emmy consideration. Do you agree that that was the strongest of the three?
It’s tough to say. It was the first you got to see Holmes, who at times is less than heroic and very adolescent, experience love. Not that he was in love, but he was in the midst of playing or experiencing or being seduced and toyed by and with love. It was a very smart play on the Irene Adler story. Irene [played by Lara Pulver] and Sherlock were like two predators circling each other waiting for the kill — it was hardly conducive to the normal conversation you would have on a first date. It was really, really enticing because it works on the principle that the best romantic stories are about the waiting [and] the game; the audience is just waiting for something to happen, and it doesn’t necessarily happen. I think it combines so many elements of what the show is about: the wit, the action, the visual style. [“Belgravia”] also [spanned] quite a long period of time, which made it feel weirdly more like a film than most anything I’ve ever done. It’s impossible to say whether it’s the better one. But I’m very proud of it.

TVLINE | What were the particular acting challenges you faced depicting the twisted relationship between Irene and Sherlock?
Well, he’s supposedly an asexual, emotionless machine, and has cut off feelings of attraction or sensory enjoyment or interest in the female form other than to gain information. So it was [about] how to get the audience to believe that you could possibly be in a position that was vulnerable — how could he possibly be feeling something for this woman? But the thing about [Irene] that is very obvious when you read [the 1891 short story by Arthur Conan Doyle in which the character is first introduced] is Sherlock definitely does fall for her and he does lose his cool; he’s no longer the logical machine. He fell for her charms. And so it was a balancing act, but it was so deftly written [by Steven Moffat] that it was so easy to do.

TVLINE | Do you have a process for getting into character as Sherlock, or do you just show up and wham — you’re him?
[Laughs] No, I’m much slower than him. I have to rev up an engine that needs a lot of oil and concentration and focus. There’s an elasticity to his movements as well. He’s ferociously expressive and I’m very still and content, so there’s different mood swings and temperatures and tones to experiment with in any given situation. But I take my time. I’m very good at switching it on.

TVLINE | The awareness for the show is not as high here in the U.S. as it is in Britain, but that seems to be changing. Are you feeling that shift as you spend more time in the States?
I am a bit. We don’t have a massive publicity budget, and I’ve been in L.A. for three and a half months now [shooting Star Trek] and every other day I’m passing a billboard of Game of Thrones or The Killing or Mad Men — all shows I love. It would just be wonderful to drive down [Sunset Blvd.] and see one Sherlock poster. It would make me feel like we’re reaching out to the bored and confused Angelenos in their traffic jams and just making them think about it because there’s [so much competition] for the viewing audience now; there’s so much high quality. So for a PBS show to gain the kind of audience we’ve got is a huge testament to how popular we are. And you know, we’re not a period drama — and I don’t mean that disparagingly [against Downton Abbey], despite how my comments have been [misinterpreted in the past]. There’s a romantic association with British history and nostalgia, which fuels that across the generations, whereas I think [Sherlock] has encapsulated a younger audience.

TVLINE | Speaking of your past comments, did you get any blowback from the perceived slam you made against Abbey’s second season in that recent New York Times article? (Editor’s Note: In the piece, Cumberbatch recalled an incident at the Golden Globes in January where Masterpiece exec Rebecca Eaton playfully taunted him with the statue Abbey had just won. “I just looked at it and went: ‘Begone, woman,’” he recounted. ‘Bring it back when it says Sherlock or Steven Moffat or myself — someone else who’s more deserving than the second (season) of Downton Abbey.’”)
Oh God, you would not believe it! I mean, honestly, it’s like people don’t have any sense of irony or a brain. First of all, I knew it was the first [season] that it was getting awarded for, so that was the first part of the joke. The second part is that Rebecca Eaton, the executive producer on Sherlock and Downton, is a friend. The third, and probably the most important, is that [Abbey creator] Julian Fellowes has known me since I was born. [Abbey leading man] Dan Stevens is one of my good friends — one of my closest friends in England — as is Michelle Dockery. There’s just no way I would say something like that without it being tongue-in-cheek. And I don’t walk around town saying ‘Begone, woman!’ And suddenly [I’m in the middle of] a PR disaster. Maybe I am a PR disaster because I talk too much or don’t filter enough. But I was kind of mortified. I play such a contemporaneous, vile and whiplash-smart [character] who doesn’t [tolerate] mediocrity or any type of bureaucracy or any stupidity, and yet as an actor — a misunderstood actor – you have to put up with a lot of it. So I just let that go. I can tell you I’m a huge fan of Downton, and what I said was quite, quite clearly – to most intelligent New York Times readers – a joke.

TVLINE | It sort of brings up the point that there is an inherent competitiveness to awards.
Well, yeah, but I mean, you have to take it all with a pinch of salt. What we do for a profession is an absolute gift of a job; it’s a blessing. So then awards on top of that? They’re sort of fantasy icing on the cake. Do awards change careers? Well, I haven’t heard of many stories where that’s the case. It’s a fun excuse to meet colleagues and celebrate people who’ve done well that year in certain people’s eyes, and it’s nothing more than that. If it’s taken more seriously than that, then we’re all sort of working for the wrong reasons. So if there’s rivalry, well, you know, it’s pretty much forgotten the minute the next glass of wine is drunk on the night.

TVLINE | You’re about to be exposed to a much larger audience in J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek sequel. Should we be worried that big-time Hollywood success will take you away from Sherlock?
Oh, no. No, not at all. I’ll always do Sherlock — it’s something I’m not going to give up on. I love it too much. It’s hard work, but it’s so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it. We love our fans and we love what it’s created. It’s an incredible thing to be part of; it doesn’t happen that often. Don’t worry; it’s not going to disappear.

TVLINE | When do you start shooting Season 3?
January. That’s the plan.

TVLINE | And then beyond Season 3?
There’s no reason for us to stop if it’s still being adored and we still enjoy doing it. We only do three [episodes] at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many [doesn’t apply]. It’s good to leave people wanting more. I’d like to see [Sherlock] getting older. We’re starting quite young. It’s rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I’ve got a way to go. I mean, I’m only 35.

This story first appeared in the pages of TVLine’s print sibling Awards|Line. The specialty Awards|Line editions canvass various facets of the Emmy and motion pictures awards season including deep coverage, analysis and interviews with the leading contenders and industry players.

1. Jennette says:

Great interview! Has Benedict been confirmed as playing Khan? I know that was the role he was rumored to be playing but I hadn’t seen it verified anywhere?

• Anna says:

Simon Pegg said that Benedict’s not playing Khan – we’ll just have to wait and see! :)

• Temis says:

Trekkies are praying it’s not Khan. That would be incredibly unimaginative, plus racist. Does anyone really want to see a pasty white Brit playing an Indian, of all ethnicities they could choose? Hard to avoid ugly colonial associations there. At least Montalban was brownish, being Mexican. Nowadays, I doubt they could even get away with that.

• batch of cumbers says:

I’m pretty sure most people aren’t going to overthink it like you.
        And you’re so freaking wrong, they could totally “get away” with casting any vaguely ethnic person to play Khan.

• Mía says:

obviously you’ve never met a diehard fanbase before

• treknerd says:

Of course they can get away with anything. They concocted a love relationship—love!!!- with a vulcan spock and Uhura. Among other canon braking atrocities.

• Ogsean2 says:

I’m Mexican and I actually found more racist to think that all “brownish” people are the same (even when they are from two very distant countries like Mexico and India).
        Trekkies are very passionate about their characters and I respect that but I really don’t understand why Khan (a sci fic character) couldn’t be playing by a white actor. We’re not talking about Cumberbatch playing César Chávez and, even when I like Benicio del Toro, I can’t imagine him saying the great and very theatrical dialogues of the original Khan. I can imagine Cumberbatch in the part.
        But yeah I hope it’s a new character just in the name of originality.

• Ceci says:

He’s not playing Khan, lmao. Simon Pegg confirmed it.

2. Mike says:

He’s a great actor and Sherlock is an awesome show! Nice read.

3. Renee says:

I love this guy.

4. Nathalia says:

Such a great show, such a great actor. We’ll keep watching it, for sure!

5. Annie says:

Fantastic interview and he has a wonderful sense of humour! I hope to see more of his work for years to come!

6. mawhi says:

Yes, can we PLEASE get confirmation on whether he is or isn’t playing Khan? I’m sick of the back and forth from all the different sources. I should’ve asked that when you asked for questions. Shoot.

7. me says:

“Begone, woman” made me laugh.

Benedict and Sherlock deserve all the awards. Fantastic production, brilliant acting from Benedict, Martin Freeman and Andrew Scott.

• Kat says:

Agreed on all counts. I can totally hear him saying “begone woman”. I love how they’re doing Sherlock. Can’t wait for new episodes!

8. Michael, if Cumberbatch is playing Khan you’re breaking the news. Can you confirm this?

9. Jo says:

Love the show. I just wish there were more then three episodes a season.

10. Julia says:

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to cover Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch!

11. Hanna says:

I love this man so much. He’s the most talented actor of his generation

12. I”t’s rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I’ve got a way to go. I mean, I’m only 35.” *cough* Young Sherlock Holmes *cough*

13. Ruth says:

I absolutely believe Cumberbatch is the greatest actor in the world. Noone comes close these days. He’s also the most versatile.

14. Becca says:

Thants for this lovely interview. I could read about Benedict all day. Counting down the minutes before I see him in NTlive’s Frankenstein tonight

15. slizabeth says:

He is so adorable!

16. sasha says:

So is Benedict Khan. Hope so. Exciting

I;d love him to be James Bond.

17. Emily says:

I love him and his show. It’ll be a year before Series 3 airs in the U.S., talk about torture!

18. sasha says:

I wish Sherlock was on HBO and not PBS.

• Elizabeth says:

What a ridiculous statement. Sherlock’s production values certainly haven’t suffered being on PBS and I personally love that this is extremely high quality entertainment available to ANYONE who owns a television set.

• Well, as much as I love PBS and agree about the accessibility, the ratings have certainly suffered due to lack of PR budget. But people will slowly discover it between now and when the next season airs in probably 15 months! Star Trek will help I think.

• Wynne says:

PBS has nothing to do with Sherlock’s production values — Hartswood Films does, and the talented people it has hired to put all the money up on the screen.

I agree with the OP — Sherlock would’ve fared far better not only in the ratings but in exposure to the American audience had it been on HBO (or one of “the big three” networks). Sure, it doubled PBS’s ratings for them, but that didn’t help Sherlock much. I mean, 3.2 million viewers on PBS here for the Series 2 premiere, compared to an average of 10 million viewers for each episode in the UK. What’s wrong with that picture? A country a fraction the size of the US in population and it garners more than 3 times the viewers? Maybe because it was on the UK’s biggest, not smallest, network?

Oh, and just what WERE the ratings for the last two Series 2 episodes? I’ve asked, and PBS isn’t saying. Why not?

• Garcol says:

UK has a THING for all things Sherlock – I would submit that Sherlock Holmes is THE most famous literary character, is known the world over, and is fervently celebrated as England’s most famous son.
          American idols are more along the lines of NASCAR drivers, “reality” show participants and Lost actors. Changing networks has minimal impact – the show develops a following or it doesn’t — look at Upstairs Downstairs or Downton Abbey — BOTH were available only on PBS!
          The best role I saw Cumberbatch play was the computer wiz in The Last Enemy.

• Temis says:

I don’t see why it would get bigger ratings on HBO, which only a small percentage of Americans subscribe to, vs PBS, available to everyone.

• Maggie says:

Sherlock’s ratings on PBS have been on par with the ratings for “Game of Thrones” on HBO. Season 2 premiere of GoT a rating of 2.2 million viewers. Ratings for the 2nd to last episode of season 2 GoT was 3.4 million and the season 2 finale got a record 4.2 million viewers.

Just like Sherlock, GoT ratings are for the first showing only. The ratings for additional airings, DVR viewing, On Demand, online viewing, etc. are not counted.

• Amy says:

PBS edits Sherlock episodes.

• Temis says:

Why? The show would be the same either way, and everyone can see it on PBS. Most people don’t have HBO.

• Judy says:

I totally agree with you. I’ve gotten rid of cable/satalite all thogether because of the cost but I always watched PBS & never subscribed to the movie channels, love Sherlock, bought the DVD’s and now watch most everything on Netflix/Hulu. And Benedict is one of the best actors to ever come out of the UK, or anywhere. He has a wonderful presence and anything he’s in is worth watching if you can find it.

• Maggie says:

@sasha,
      why would you want to pay for something (HBO) when you can get it for free (PBS)?

19. Loni says:

Sherlock really is an incredible show. And it’s really all due to Cumberbatch’s steller personification of the character. Can’t wait for series 3!

20. Chris says:

Meh, the show kind of stinks.

21. kitty says:

“…Khan…” So, Micheal Ausiello, do you know something the rest of us don’t?
    Thanks for the great interview. Love me some Benedict Cumberbatch. Also he’ll start filming with Brad Pitt and Micheal Fassbender for 12 Years a Slave in New Orleans, La at the end of this month. Hope he becomes a HUGE A-lister star!

22. peri says:

If I think of Cumberbatch in any series I get excited. Imagine Game of thrones with him, or Mad Men or Homeland. He’s extremely versatile. He can kick butt with the best of them. His fight with Quinto looks awesome from the video footage. If he is Khan he’ll be incredible. I hope Marvel have signed him up for a big role.

• Suzie says:

I’d like to see him in a film with Matt Bomer, maybe as half brothers with the same dad. One mom a Brit and the other a yank.

• Temis says:

Wow, the Yank mom must have been 1000% better looking than the Brit, given that Bomer is a knockout and Cumberbund is fugly at best.

• vix101 says:

Yes Bomer is stunning but this man is in no way fugly. Please consult an optician post haste…http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1829744640/nm1212722

• Suzie says:

I don’t find him fugly. There is an intensity about him that’s very sexy. But what do I know? I find Robert Carlyle [Rumpelstiltskin on Once Upon a Time] sexy. Perhaps BC isn’t conventionally handsome, but neither were Bogart, McQueen, Gable [ears like open car doors], or Travolta [looks like an ape]. There’s an indefinable charisma there and it can’t be learned.

23. Kelly says:

We have to wait until next year for more episodes?!!! Boo!!

24. j says:

Michael, this is a really great interview! I hope Sherlock starts to get the recognition it deserves. The acting, the writing, the quality of the production– it’s some of the best I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing.

25. Judi says:

I love the sound of Cumberbatch making huge films and popping back to do a few mini Sherlock films every 18 months. The man is an acting legend and I have no doubt that oen day he’ll be Sir Benedict Cumberbatch.

26. carolyn says:

This actor is as good as Fassbender if not better and deserves to be A list

27. Kate says:

Lovely interview – shows off his inherent intelligence. I think he’s great! (I’m not intelligent enough to describe him otherwise).

28. TLL says:

Let’s just all be patient, as asked, regarding the Star Trek role. If he’s playing Khan, he’ll be brilliant. Trelane? Brilliant. Gary Mitchell? Brilliant. Hell, he’d even be brilliant as the Horta (lol, thank you, Simon Pegg, for your lovely humor).

Kelly, yeah, next year – but hey, this is what Moffat and Gatiss and the crew do best – they make us wait until we’re absolutely positive we’ve gleaned all we can from rewatching the previous seasons and will DIE if we don’t get a Sherlock fix soon…and then they zap us with three stellar films and start the torture all over again. It’s pure magic and why we love them so much.

29. Michelle says:

Benedict deserves all the awards. EVER. He’s fantastic.

30. kmek13 says:

Thank you! Love Sherlock and Love Benedict Cumberbatch!

31. di says:

I hope he gets an Emmy nod. About time he got a big romantic hero role. He’s hot.

32. skippy says:

My love for this actor is immense. He makes me happy.

33. Allison says:

I love Benedict Cumberbatch and Sherlock. Fantastic actor and show! How amazing would it be if he was the next Doctor?!

34. bet says:

He’s the most exciting actor in years.

35. Amy says:

I’ve been catching up on his other UK projects through Netflix, and I have to say, Benedict Cumberbatch simply inhabits the characters he plays. I’ve not been disappointed with anything I’ve watched that he’s in, and that’s saying something. He and Holmes are a perfect fit. Thanks for the great interview!

36. JP says:

Benedict is great fun to watch as Sherlock, but if you haven’t seen him in the film “Starter for 10″ you are missing out on his movie-stealing comedic performance! That’s where I first saw him, along with James McAvoy, Rebecca Hall, Dominic Cooper, James Corden, Alice Eve and Catherine Tate – helluva cast, right?

But that leads me back to a question I have about Sherlock – is the Sherlock hair a wig? Benedict’s natural hair seems to be blonde and straight. If it is, it’s a really good one!

• His natural hair is red and wavy actually! Grows it out and dyes it black for Sherlock, so no wig. He’s quite a hair-dyer so you rarely see his real hair, but can look for pictures…

• Lee says:

It’s his hair – it is just dyed. He comments on the fact that he couldn’t shave his head when doing Frankenstein on stage because he had to grow it out for the filming of Sherlock. I actually like him better with the long, messy mass of dark curls – more than his natural ginger color. But, whatever this guy does – I’m there; he is simply mesmerizing.

Hard for me to believe he and Clooney are even in the same profession given what this guy brings to his performance – pure magic.

• Kim says:

His natural hair color is auburn, although it’s also reddish, it’s closer to reddish-brown, not ginger. His Victor Frankenstein (or NTA photos) ginger lock was also dyed after his blonde Peer Guillam in TTSS.

• GingerVampire says:

Omg no! He’s naturally ginger-ish… Light brown. Look at hin in Frankenstein. He has naturally curly hair, he grows it out and dyes it for Sherlock.
      That’s how Sherlock fans know a new season is coming… XD

37. I love Sherlock and I love Benedict. He is a great actor. I really enjoyed him in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and can’t wait to see him go up against Spock and Kirk in Star Trek 2. I wish we didn’t have to wait so long for series (season) 3 of Sherlock, but between BC doing films and Martin Freeman (Watson) filming The Hobbit, I understand. :)

38. Vatican Cameos says:

So adorable. I will watch him in anything. Really pulling for him to snag the Emmy this year. I wish they had submitted the finale, though. Shows more of a range that voters might be looking for.

39. Susi says:

Great interview!

40. Guys it wouldn’t have made a difference if anyone remembered to ask Michael to ask about Khan. Benedict’s asked constantly and can never say one word about it! They’re keeping it a secret. Love love the explanation he had to give for why his DA comments were a joke. Stupid people believed. Benedict is ridiculously polite and kind to other actors in interviews, would never slam like that.

41. moobear says:

I can’t believe that people didn’t get the joke, who says ” Begone woman,” in a serious manner??? Anyways, if you watch a lot of programs out of the UK, you’ll see that there is quite a bit of overlap of actors, producers, writers (as this interview pointed out) so ‘methinks’ if anyone had an attitude they would find themselves out of work pretty quickly in this tightly knit group.

• Darla says:

I did notice that… the entire English community seems to be rather incestuous… perhaps because it is much smaller than “Hollywood” which of course is what I grew up with. I like it though… and probably the fact that they all work TOGETHER is part of what makes their work so much better.

42. Barb says:

That is Benedict’s real hair – the curly part – but it is more an auburn-ginger type. Its had to be straightened for a role here and there.
    People are fogetting on HBO this fall will be the 5 part “Parade’s End” taking place in World War 1 – spans 10 years, he’s going to be in almost every scene (the war ones also) and his character will be married, but not to an esp. good person, and he falls in love with a woman’s rights girl – so there is a romantic part to this story.
    Also – the Voice (and motion-capture) of Smaug the dragon in the Hobbit. That is also something they want to keep under raps as long as they can – the way the Dragon will look.
    Not only “Starter For 10″ for comedy but of course “Hawking” and “To The Ends Of The
    Earth” and the great (they all are) performance in the docodrama “Van Gogh”..
    The in the fall finally the release of “Third Star” on DVD in America – look for it. The writer of it said there’s Benedict and his ability as an actor – “rare” – his focus and intelligence – from the first step he’s asking questions. Then to be all that and be a joy to work with and looking for no special treatment.
    USA Today critic expects Benedict to be nominated and his crossing his fingers he will win the Emmy.
    What great publicity for him and the show. “Elementary” when it startson CBS will be seen by more people than have seen “Sherlock” – the publicity for “Elementary” will be huge, and probably with billboards. Hoping one thing that will come from it will be the mention in aarticles about it and people may be interested to check it out.

43. gail says:

Good interview. However, the Emmys are overlooking the best performance in Sherlock – Andrew Scott as Jim Moriarty. He won the BAFTA award, which is the British equivalent to the Emmy, two weeks ago for the role. PBS didn’t even put his name in for a nomination.

• come on, Moriarty is not the best performance in Sherlock. It’s a really tiny role of which Scott made the best, but it has nothing against the epicness of Benedict’s Sherlock and Martin Freeman’s heartbreaking Watson.

• AB says:

Andrew Scott was excellent as Moriarty. Why don’t people understand that it’s not an “either-or” thing? It isn’t either Scott was great or Benedict and Martin Freeman were, you know, they both can be great at what they do. You don’t have to put one performance down in order to praise the other.

• Clare M says:

One of the things that amazes me the most about Sherlock is that there isn’t a bad actor in the bunch. It must be a dream job working with so many other incredibly talented people! The writers, Director…even the costumers are awesome. Reichenbach tore out my heart (burned it out?) but I still keep rewatching it. I can’t help it, it’s probably the best written and acted (etc) film I’ve ever seen.
          So yes I agree with you, they all deserve recognition. I was very happy to see Andrew win the BAFTA. (He was so adorable!)

But I was also sad that Benedict has not yet been recognized, while all around him are… and he’s the lead. If he had not been convincing, there would have been no hit or other recognition…

It probably bothers me more than it does him…lol. I do hope he gets an Emmy though and will be watching and rooting for him.

44. LY says:

Marvelous actor. Watch Frankenstein in rerelease by NTL He’s wonderful And watch short film inseparable on iTunes Makes you cry he’s so good !

45. Maricela G says:

UGH I love him and Sherlock. Good luck to Sherlock during the Emmys! While I love Lara Pulver’s performance in that episode, I think it’s a shame that Andrew Scott’s CRAZY GOOD performance in the Reichenbach Fall won’t be showcased.

46. NilesJ says:

Great interview!

This is such a fantastic series, and Benedict Cumberbatch may well be one of the finest actors of his generation. It’s wonderful to see the US at least starting to take notice. It’s a world-wide hit, and for some reason the US has been slow to catch up. Would love to see Sherlock and Benedict receive ALL the awards this year!

47. Kim says:

I do agree ASIB is the strongest one and much as I love Andrew’s performance, I’d love that Lara has the chance to be considered for Emmys. It’s not easy at all to act against Benedict and Martin without being overshadowed and she even managed to shine through. Andrew’s performance has received recognition as well as Martin’s performance by BAFTAs. Fingers crossed that Benedict will get his well-deserved nod from Emmys.

48. Barb says:

I do remember the 3rd episode of season one and the reaction to Moriaty was not completely positive. It took the final episode in season 2 for people to really appreicate his character and it was a great performance including the moments when he was saying he was an actor paid by Sherlock I’m still going with the continually great performance of Benedict because you completely believe that he IS Sherlock Holmes. Maybe some may take his performances for granted it is so ingrained and never misses a beat.
    But i do wish “Reichenbach” had been the one they picked because it did showcase everyone so well. (And there were moments in “Hounds” that were Emmy worthy for Benedict and Martin.)(again, they get nothing but excellent performances out of everyone. Una Stubbs as Mrs. Hudson shouldn’t be left out either. As Lara Pulver said when you do this show you Have to be at the top of your game.)
    It just needs to win and wish everyone could win awards for it. As Benedict says they are icing on the cake, but if it was taken too seriously then you’re in it for the wrong reason.
    But for the fans you do certainly want them nominated and you want a win because it gets the actors and the show name recognition to all watching and because you want to see that “Emmy” winner (or Bafta ..or Oscar..) in front of their names from now on. And they deserve it.
    Oh, he definitely will be “Sir Benedict” someday. He’s worthy of it now.

49. I still remember him from his role in Atonement. “Bite it. You bite it.”