Ratings: Dallas Opens as Year's No. 1 Cable Debut

TNT’s Dallas saddled back up and then some on Wednesday night, averaging 6.9 million total viewers across its two-hour opener. That makes it the No. 1 scripted series premiere on all of cable for the year-to-date.

Among that opening night crowd, 1.93 mil fell into the coveted 18-49 demo.

RELATED | NCIS‘ Michael Weatherly Lands Juicy Role on TNT’s The Closer Spinoff

For comparison’s sake, TNT’s most recent drama premiere — last summer’s Falling Skies — drew 5.9 million total viewers, with 2.6 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot. (Going back another summer, the cabler’s Rizzoli & Isles premiered to 7.6 million total viewers, with 2.1 mil in the demo.)

What did you think of the new Dallas, pardner? Vote in our poll and share your thoughts in Comments.

1. Daniela says:

DALLAS was fantastic!!! I enjoyed it, I am obsessed with it and can’t wait for next week. It’s well deserved that the show premiered with such big numbers. I hope it continues to do well.

• Ryan says:

Let’s be honest. Is anyone watching this for anything other than the hot guys? I mean… Isn’t that what everyone is obsessed about? Haha.

• mav says:

lol ur wrong baba, its good to see jr and bobby again, esp jr and his tricks lol

• BJ says:

Nope….I am always wanting to see what JR will do next. It’s all about the Villians to me and what they will throw in the game to mix things up…This show has some really good writers and if you watched the first Dallas years ago you would have a better understanding of the love/hate relationship that viewers have with JR. :)

2. The good thing here is that Dallas isn’t expected to hit 10s of millions of viewers to be on the air, like it would be if it aired on a network. Being on cable ensures that it will be on the air for a long time as long as it keeps hitting figures like this.

3. It was really well done, though I’m hoping for more nuance in the new characters as the series goes along. Wonderful to see Duffy, Hagman and Gray again, and hoping for more faces from the past.

4. Elizabeth says:

I only rolled my eyes once – so that’s a good start in my book. Not the caliber of “Southland”, but still a decent drama on TNT.

Now, if we could just do something to John Ross’ facial hair – that mustache needs some help or at least a beard to help it along :)

5. Layne says:

I thought the premiere was fabulously written – excellent in many ways. And I actually think that the ratings are skewed a little lower than they actually are becuase I’m betting that there were several thousand premiere parties around the country which had numerous viewers in one location. I had a party at my house and we had 32 people watching. I know several cities hosted big parties in theaters and such. It’s also going to draw millions of viewers from Europe. Kudos to DALLAS, TNT, Cynthia Cidre and team, and the wonderful cast!

6. Ana says:

I smirked several times. It is such a soap complete with the dramatic looks to end a scene and the necessary cliches. Everything about it is soapish, most of all Linda Gray’s performance. She tried to come across as powerful and mysterious and just came across as needy and insecure. Thankfully she was a minor inconvenience. I loved seeing Duffy. And Hagman was evil and magnificent as usual. I will continue to tune in unless.it takes a turn for the hideous and as long as it is not opposite Necessary Roughness which I’m not willing to miss again.

7. Velvet says:

I didn’t watch it when it was on back in the day and I don’t plan to watch it now.

8. Eliza says:

I really enjoyed it!! Very intrigued about what’s next.

9. Chloe says:

I really enjoyed it. I thought the plot twists were great and I loved seeing Bobby, Sue Ellen and especially JR again! The one weak part for me was John Ross. JR’s longevity as a villain is because as bad as he is, you love watching him. John Ross – not so much. I didn’t enjoy him & wouldn’t mind seeing JR crush him and send him packing.

• Jenn C says:

I agree that John Ross was pretty revolting, but I’m hoping as the series progresses, his character will be fleshed out a bit more. That said, I truly enjoyed the premiere, in all its backstabbing soapiness. I grew up in the 80s but actually never watched the original. I don’t watch a whole lot during the summer though, usually (aside from True Blood, and used to be Mad Men until they moved it to earlier in the year), so I was looking for something scripted to get hooked on. Hope the show continues to entertain me as much as it did in the pilot, nice to see such strong numbers

10. Ron says:

To repeat, “Velvet” didn’t watch it when it was on back in the day and doesn’t plan to watch it now. Got that, everybody?

11. ASH1157 says:

Patrick Duffy and Larry Hagman are greatness! Both stepped back into their roles with full abandon. We can only hope that a) Bobby Ewing’s cancer will be cured ASAP and b) Larry Hagman’s health stays good for years to come. I see both Bobby and JR playing the patriarchal roles for the series (ala Jock and Ellie Ewing back in the day).

WIth the success of the show, I’m hoping that it’ll attract better actors than the crew they have in place now. Josh Henderson and Jesse Metcalfe may be salvageable…but the two females are not strong actors (or even all that attractive really). Ya gots to have one or the other…and preferably both on a show like this.

12. Renee says:

I’m just stunned anybody watched. I guess evening soaps are back in again? I had my fill in the 80’s and 90’s and truly thought nobody would watch this. Should have known better. I never run with the trends.

• Brian says:

Most any dramatic television series has a plethora of “soap-y” elements to it… I watched the premiere; and while it definitely had that same soap opera feel of the original, it felt fresh and seemed similar to many dramas on network television today…

• Shaun says:

Revenge is a similar show….and it’s doing well(Although the acting is better there than Dallas)

13. Ray says:

I think that John Ross is the Cliff Barnes of the series. He’s trying to “one-up” J R but J R is a master of these games and, as always, one step ahead. That said, we do need some of the old Barnes -Ewing rivalry added. It would be great to have Pamela Rebecca Cooper show up as an strong adversary for the new Ewing boys. Having a female nemesis could lead to all sorts twisty plots. As for what we saw, it was really good. I loved the addition of Mary Al…Ann as Bobby’s wife. She seems very formidable and that’s necessary for a wife of one of these guys. I hope we have drop ins by other characters of the first series. The Lucy and Ray cameos were great. I hope more can be added as the stories dictate.

• Allyson says:

I am quite convinced that is exactly who Christopher just married…”Rebecca” aka “Pamela Rebecca”

14. Elyse says:

loved it!!

15. Ken says:

The episodes they aired last night were certainly better than most of the post-Bobby back in the shower episodes. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that this return of the series could possibly enhance it’s post shower scene reputation.

My one hope…..don’t focus on the younger characters to the detriment of the older ones….Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray are still great. And, here’s to seeing ongoing appearances by Ken Kercheval and Steve Kanaly.

Suggestion……come up with a five year story arc and do a set planned ending a lot Lost or some Brit shows. I think that could keep the stories sharp and focused and strong. And, if the show is great….it could always continue.

16. Jay says:

As a big fan of the original “Dallas” I didn’t expect much. But I was really surprised at how well done this updated version is. Both episodes had my full attention, and it was wonderful to see the original cast members. I hope they’ve signed on for all 10 episodes.

17. Mark says:

I had it tivoed last night. Can’t wait to watch. I grew up watching Dallas in the 80s on Friday night!

18. Sara says:

Will I enjoy the reboot having not watched the original? I don’t even know the storyline, except for Who shot JR

• tvislight says:

I’ve never seen the original – just heard my parents rave about it all my life – but I enjoyed it. Easy to follow. I’ll be back for the weeks to come

• Lissy says:

It’s not a reboot. It’s a continuation of the original series. Kind of a Next Generation: Dallas, if you will.

19. Paolo says:

I really enjoyed the pilot and I’m glad for the good ratings (I’d admit that I was worried about).
    Now I hope for a second season and pleas bring back Pamela!

20. Laura says:

I thought it was very good. I don’t think that John Ross and Christopher were weak at all. I think the casting was excellent for John Ross b/c he could pass as Sue Ellen’s son in real life. Very similar eyes. I’m very excited about the new Dallas as being a fan from when the original was first on.

21. Larry says:

I have to say that I really enjoyed the pilot. Once I saw JR playing Bobby -I thought that was classic Dallas -and then to see John Ross playing JR -that totally floored me. The producers did a great job threading the plot twists and double crosses. I am very interested to who this mysterious woman playing JR and John Ross -AND what the conspiracy is between Rebecca and Tommy. I so hope they might be Farlows. I have a feeling the producers are going to use the wealth of story material from the original series in crafting this one. This is a going to be pleasure watching all summer unfold.

22. Sue says:

It was AWESOME!! Larry Hagman is the truth! And Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray are great too! These are real actors with real talent. Enough of the ridiculous reality shows already. I wish other shows like Knots Landing and Dynasty could be brought back to life as well.

23. Seth says:

Loved it, hoping for more Lucy!!!

24. Kim says:

As an avid watcher of the original, I really enjoyed this new version. The original characters are a big part of why I’m watching so I hope they aren’t going to get rid of them like they did on 90210. Bobby’s cancer has me nervous. If they’re gone, so am I.

• Chloe says:

” Bobby’s cancer has me nervous. If they’re gone, so am I.”

I completely agree! I doubt I would have watched it if the Terrific Threesome hadn’t been on it!

25. salim says:

i totes loved it, had to stream it live cos we guna get it here in london on september too long to wait. one thing that made me laugh is wen john ross kept on saying to christopher that they are not family, but they are christophers mom is chrystal and john ross’s mom is sue ellen, therefore making both of their parent are sisters thus making them cousins. the only reason i think that he kept on saying was cos hes not a ewing by blood.

26. B says:

I only watched it because I live in Dallas, and have to admit: I thought it was terrible at the start, but by the end, I was hooked.

I feel so dirty.

27. tvdiva says:

As a die hard fan of the original series, I thought they did a good job. They will never have 80 million viewers like the “Who Shot JR?” episode did, but they have a chance on cable to build an audience and hopefully the first ten episodes will continue to pick up more viewers.

28. Wil says:

The premiere was GREAT!! I think the show was well written and in line with the original;2 sons trying to earn their dads’ respect. Chris trying to be as genuine as Bobby and JRoss trying to be better than JR!! I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering what Marta del sol did to JRoss after she drugged him!! I don’t know what happened, but I have a feeling she wasn’t involved.

And the fact that Cliff Barnes owns Ewing Oil; no wonder JR was depressed!! There’s so much material to work from……………….

• Chloe says:

Cliff actually took over Ewing Oil during the run of the original series. I’m kind of amazed that in 20 years, JR never got it back.

• Chris says:

Maybe he got it back and lost it again. I can imagine those two trading control back and forth multiple times during the years we didn’t see.

• Lissy says:

I’m sure we’re going to find out what transpired over those years. I can’t wait!

29. last year's troll says:

That Falling Skies demo is kind of impressive. Most networks would be happy with that let alone a cable channel.

30. Rolfe says:

Good news! Loved it!

31. Am i the only person here he didn’t like it, I thought the pilot was badly written and even though I nvr saw the original i found it easy to realise who the original characters were” The twists were obvious and kinda lazy, i felt like this was the poor mans Revenge. Yeah i know its a reboot and so it been around a lot longer than Revenge but that is the modern comparison of rich people out to get each other. It didnt make sense why John Ross double crossed his dad at the end, or why two people madly in love for years listened to an email and other people instead talking to each other, , or that Bobby wasn’t already keeping with updates of the methane earthquakeness, any businessman would have know as soon as it hit the internet. There just seemed to be too many pot holes for me, I didnt even want to bother watching the next episode. Shame I really wanted to like it, I do love a bit of cheesy soaps, just well written ones!

• Chris says:

The thought of that newbie upstart Revenge being in the league of the great Dallas is laughable. Revenge is a poor person’s Dynasty, actually. It can’t touch either show, though it’s not bad. Your questions have very obvious answers if you think for a second. Why did John Ross doublecross his father? Because he’s a weasel who wants all the power for himself, clearly. Elena believed the e-mail because she was insecure. She was the housekeeper’s daughter involved with a Ewing! She was always expecting the other shoe to drop. As for Bobby, he has cancer. He’s a little too concerned with the thought of, you know, STAYING ALIVE to keep up with every bit of news that might or might not be on the Internet.

Kids these days!

• I guess for me nothing made sense as this is obviously a continuation of the original series, I thought, actually I don’t really know what I was expecting but the show just felt dated to me, call me a kid if you want but I just thought it wasn’t as good as everyone made out to be. I have also seen reviews of others who never saw the original and who have the same opinions as me, just not on here!

• Scooby says:

Yes, you are the only person here who didn’t like it. And there would be no Revenge if not for Dallas. The show is not a reboot, it’s a continuation. John Ross double–crossed his father because A) he hates him (clearly established during the show) and B) he’s a Ewing and J.R.’s son. THAT’S WHAT THEY DO! It made complete sense. Bobby didn’t know about the methane/earthquake issue because A) he just learned he has cancer (or does he?) B) his only son was getting married C) his j-off nephew desecrated HIS land and Miss Ellie’s legacy and D) he trusts his son (too easily, I grant you, but that is only of Bobby’s trademarks). Get your facts straight and get lost!

32. theresa says:

I loved it!! Once JR woke up the fun really started, lol. Can’t wait to see the coming weeks & how many more twists and turns will come up. Lots of questions after last night & I’m looking forward to the answers.

33. BrianR says:

Its sure nice to see the backstabbing and plotting of the Ewing clan back on TV. Now if they get Jordana Brewster in a bikini soon it will be a 10.

34. don says:

It brings back a lot of really good memory’s.
    I remember when i was younger, if we were out to dinner or over to a friends house on a friday night, my mom and dad would keep looking at their watches to see what time it was, and about 8:30 no matter what, they would say “ok kids it’s time to go home, Dallas is going to start in thirty minutes!” And we would rush home so they could watch Dallas.
    They never missed an episode. And us kids would go to our rooms and watch it too.
    It was like an event and like part of life back then, not like today’s tv shows ware there is really nothing on. I don’t know about everyone else but all i do is scroll thru the channels over and over again, and just usually wind up leaving on the food network for back round
    noise while i’m on the computer!
    And last night for the first time in a very long time. me and my wife watched television together for two solid hours and loved every minute of it!
    We did’nt argue (lol) or even turn the channel, cause we did’nt want to miss a second of Dallas.
    It just felt good again.

• Ofelia says:

If I didnt know better, I’d swear I posted this comment word for word!!! Same thing with the parents, left anywhere we were thirty minutes early, I continuously scroll my guide and leave it on the food network for noise while on my computer. The only thing I have to add is “I can’t stand reality shows.” I love Dallas. New and Old

35. Ashley says:

Dallaswas awesome! So happy I watched. Bring on the coverage, Ausiello.

36. Willow says:

I have a question. I remember watch Dallas with my parents as a kid but I was about 14 when it went off air so I dont really remember that much about all the storylines.

I enjoyed last night, think it will be a summer guilty pleasure kind of thing. Its seems that almost everyone is lying to everyone else Its going to take some doing to keep up with who know what llol

Liked the way they did the opening credits and theme like the orginal.

But, if I remember wasn’t Booby married to Pam(?) did they divorce or something because in the update Bobby is married to Ann.

• Willow says:

Forgot to add – Anyone else think that Cliff Barnes is going to behind some of the shenanigans

• Wil says:

I’m sure Cliff or some Barnes will be in the mix! It only makes sense for some Barnes to be around to rub it in the Ewings’ face that a Barnes’ owns Ewing Oil! The twists are just beginning…

• Lissy says:

Of course he will be! It’s only a matter of time before he becomes J.R.’s primary target.

37. Mikael says:

How long until they announce the new version of Dynasty?

• Scooby says:

Forget Dynasty. I want to see a continuation of Falcon Crest next! Unfortunately, Jane Wyman, the original Angela Channing is deceased, but I hear Lorenzo Lamas is free. LOL.

38. Jamie says:

DALLAS IS AWESOME! BOBBY EWING IS BACK ON MY TV! WOO HOO! TEAM BOBBY!

39. kate says:

I’m dying to know the average age of people who watch this reboot/continuation/whatever. I’m also amused by the 10 or so Dallas diehards on here giving everyone who either a) didn’t like b) didn’t understand some of it a hard time.

40. JED says:

Loved the nu-“Dallas”. They did it properly, and I now would highly support TNT reigniting “Dynasty”. It would be a perfect pairing and they could finally have cross-over, business feuds between Dallas and Denver which could never happen in the past. This is how it is done right. On “Revenge”, it is very different from these shows in tone. That said, I think it is the best night time drama on a major network in years IMO.

41. Wil says:

As long as the major players are front in center; this has the makings of something GREAT! It can’t be what it was; but it’s alot better than the “made for garbage” tv that the networks seems to spill-out!!

42. mav says:

Glad it’s back, now at least i’ll be able to watch tv again lol

43. winter10 says:

I love Dallas! I record it every Wednesday! I love everything about it! I love everthing about the characters and I think they are doing a great job! I LUV U GUYS SO MUCH!!

44. Veryy good article. I will be dealing with many of