Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time Bets on Red, Promotes Meghan Ory to Series Regular

Once Upon a Time fancies itself better off Red, and as such has promoted Meghan Ory to a series regular for Season 2, our sister site Deadline reports.

On the fantastical ABC series, Ory plays Storybrooke diner waitress Ruby as well as the fairytale world’s Red Riding Hood (who harbors her own surprising alter ego).

RELATED | Once‘s Lana Parrilla: Regina’s Feud With Rumpel ‘Isn’t Going to Be Pretty!’

Once Upon a Time, which was the 2011-12 TV season’s highest-rated freshman drama, is set to stay put in its Sundays-at-8 time slot, returning on a date TBA this fall.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Duo Weigh In On (and Share Secrets From!) the Finale’s Big Reunion

Once fans, are you happy to hear about Ory’s promotion? And now that Ruby has been made aware of her true identity by the season finale’s big twist, should Storybrooke residents hide their cats?

Comments (75)

• Good. I like her character a lot. She’s also quite easy on the eyes.

Comment by Mark – June 14, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ruby’s my FAVORITE character by far, her episode was truly the strongest (like a whole movie in 42 minutes!), and really, this should have happened a long time ago. I was really irked when I realized Sbarge was a regular and she wasn’t. All I can say is finally, and bring more Red and Ruby.

And, about the finale, all I can say is I truly hope someone kept Red’s hood, because if not, with magic back, they’re about to have some trouble every full moon.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – June 14, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t she always a series regular? LOL She acted like she was, a sign of a true professional.

Comment by AB – June 14, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was in most of the episodes but wasnt contracted as a regular. She didn’t really play a big part in many episodes.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – June 14, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No great surprise, I like her reinterpretation of Red, glad she’s on board full time! Any word on Emilie de Ravin though…?

Comment by Dizzle – June 14, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya I am interested in Emilie as well.

Comment by jasie – June 14, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please! Any news on Emilie?

Comment by English – June 14, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought she was on another show?

Comment by Kristina – June 14, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was cast in a pilot called Americana but it wasn’t picked up by ABC so she should be able to now.

Comment by jasie – June 14, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raphael Sbarge was a regular and he was in like five episodes, so this makes more sense as she was in over half.

Which, why is Raphael a regular?

Comment by AW – June 14, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I have no idea about that. His character doesn’t even really add anything. though Meghan’s does.

Comment by sara – June 14, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Raphael also voices Jiminy Cricket, which also counts as an “appearance” in an episode.

Comment by WayneInNYC – June 14, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was in quite a few of the early episodes, so it’s quite possible that they expected to use him more than they did. Sometimes, things develop differently when you are in a series than when you are planning it.

Comment by Mark – June 14, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I expect they thought they would focus on his role as a therapist more than they did. His sessions with Henry were a major part of the early episodes, but the show obviously moved away from that and more into the fairytale drama. I read in another piece on Deadline that they originally pitched Once Upon A Time as more procedural-style than serial drama, before realising that wouldnt connect. His casting makes more sense in that respect.

Comment by Dizzle – June 14, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited about this! Ruby/red’s twist was one of the best twists in TV this season! Cannot wait to see where they take that story! And yes more belle please

Comment by Heather – June 14, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely one of my favorites on Once Upon a Time. I actually thought she was already a regular since she was in all or almost all of the episodes in season 1 and even had an episode dedicated to her backstory.

Comment by tvaddict – June 14, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you have any news on emilie de ravin?? I would love for her to be a regular!!

Comment by Dianna – June 14, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Not too surprising considering Red/Ruby is awesome and I have yet to see anyone dislike her. It will be interesting to see how the relationships play out considering she’s friends with Snow and Charming and bonded with Emma and now they all remember who they are

Comment by Addie – June 14, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo !

Comment by Roger – June 14, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder why she was’nt already regular in season 1. She’s great, i love the character and the actress. Wonderfull news !

Comment by Ben – June 14, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good deal! Like her a lot.

Comment by Kristina – June 14, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s cool! Really like her character, but it would be even better if Sebastian Stan was made a series regular. Love him as the Mad Hatter!

Comment by Amanda – June 14, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s core cast on Political Animals, starting shortly on USA.

Comment by Temperence – June 14, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SS has smoldering sexual chemistry with Emma. That would have been a very hot relationship. Alas, he is on another series. But maybe he can come back to OUAT now and then.

Comment by tvdiva – June 15, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t help myself, I find their dynamic very unappealing. It’s not an issue of the actors and their chemistry though. It stems from the characters and the writing. I’d rather not see any of the women with Jefferson to be honest. He’s too abusive and uncontrolled and I don’t find that hot at all.

Comment by Gale – June 16, 2012 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! She is one of the best characters on the show. And Granny should be promoted to regular status, too.

Comment by tvdiva – June 14, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I loved her as Juliette on Higher Ground and have always been rooting for her career to really take off.

Comment by Jen Hofstetter (@photosbyjenh) – June 14, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid off Henry, plz.

Comment by Dude – June 14, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s spelled “of”. And no.

Comment by gallowaycreations – June 14, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d love an episode giving us more info on Henry’s biological dad. I keep thinking how great it would be if it turned out to be Bae (Rumpelstilskin/Mr. Gold’s son). Can you imagine the fireworks if Snow and Charming’s grandkid, who’s being raised by the evil Queen, was also Rump.’s grandkid???

Comment by Al – August 29, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I’m happy I’m not the only one who gets annoyed by Henry!

Comment by Mark Pempengco (@MarkPempengco) – June 15, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome, because HOLY CRAP she is hot!!!

And I agree that the Mad Hatter should be a regular. He’s been really good.

Comment by misterteacher – June 14, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! More Sebastian Stan, please!

Comment by Ace – June 14, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle full-time would be amazing :)

Comment by Kate – June 14, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yep

Comment by Ryan – June 14, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really. I think her characters works for better as recurring.

Comment by Bettret – June 14, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • IA. And what we saw of Belle bored me, so I don’t mind only seeing her once in a while. Who knew when I was 8 that I’d be saying that I love Snow White more than Belle and would rather watch her?

Comment by Addie – June 14, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love that. Maybe if it doesn’t happen this season, it will happen for season 3. I love Belle so much!

Comment by Kay – June 14, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually makes me like little red riding hood

Comment by Sarah Joan (@By_SJD) – June 14, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. The only thing she has going for her is that she is stunningly beautiful. Ruby/Red is such a basic and vanilla character. I wouldn’t miss her if she never showed up again. Snow White and Granny completly stole the show from her in Red Handed. Even stupid Cinderella/Ashley showed more personality and better acting than she ever did. I hope she will be like Archie screentime wise and won’t take away time from the more interesting characters.

Comment by Lee – June 14, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I amend my comment to say that you are the only person I have ever seen hate on Red/Ruby. Congrats?

Comment by Addie – June 14, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not hate her at all. I just have no interest in her or any desire to see more of her. That’s all.

Comment by Lee – June 14, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why don’t you wait and see where they decide to take her character before you dismiss her? Obviously a promotion to series regular means she’s going to be getting a good storyline.

Comment by AB – June 14, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It’s cool that she can turn into a wolf, but her personality so far has been bland as heck.

I disagree about Cinderella, she was the worst. They made her an idiot by not bothering to read the contract Rumplestiltskin gave her.

Comment by Seth – June 14, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think she’s just that. She acts real good in my opinion and she also has a really interesting storyline about her rebel against her granny. Red Handed was the best episode to me. It has all the elements that build a great story. The twist at the end of the Red Riding Hood was the most memorable throughout the whole season. And she’s embodying the werewolf thing really really well. Even before she remembered anything, I was like, “Girl is a wolf. I’m sure.”.
      So, yeah. Glad there’ll be more of her.

Comment by Brown – June 15, 2012 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fave character besides Regina, so this is awesome news. I do miss her stripperiffic outfits of the first half of the season though!

Comment by Floodlit World – June 14, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not the only one who misses them! ;-)

Comment by Gil – June 14, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not just that she remembers who she is… with the return of magic to Storybrooke, she’ll probably be able to change again. So, yes, lock up your cats.

Comment by Steven – June 14, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Emilie de Ravin (Belle) and Jessy Schram (Cinderella)? Belle seems to have a large role in the story (as Rumpel’s love) and they have yet to *really* explore Cinderella’s character. As far as I know, de Ravin doesn’t have anything going on so she should be free… but Jessy Schram is on Falling Skies, so perhaps filming on that will interfere?

Comment by John DeMayo – June 14, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not everyone needs to be a regular to show up on the show again. I don’t really see the need to have either Belle or Cinderella as regulars. They work just fine as recurring characters.

Comment by Bettret – June 14, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with this. Keep a good balance between regulars and recurring guest stars. 5 core characters (Regina, Rumple, the Charmings) and 4 additional regulars (Henry, Archie, August, Red) is okay although I think Archie, Henry and August weren’t even real regulars this season. They missed too many episodes and didn’t really add much. But that’s okay. the 5 core characters have so much story to tell and they should be their focus of attention anyway.

Comment by Nicoletta – June 15, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessy is a series regular on ABC’s new show Last Resort.

Comment by Ryan – June 14, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessy is on LAST RESORT, too.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 14, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not to mention she part times on Falling Skies too

Comment by Shaun – June 15, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should add another villian… I like Rumple and Regina a lot, but the fairytales have plenty of villians that could add something to the mix…

Comment by James – June 14, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should’ve been one already, but good for her! Like others have said, I wonder if they’ll promote Emilie de Raven. We know Robert Carlyle will still be around, and I don’t see Rumple wanting to be separated from Belle, so will she be a series regular, too?

Comment by Gilda – June 14, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastice news. Meghan lit up the screen with her gorgeous looks. I hope Red and Emma can be BFF’s and work together more. I’d also like to see the Huntsman’s wolf come into town and become Emma’s wolf.

Comment by BrianR – June 14, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic. Some of the best news that I have heard all day. Meghan Ory is beautiful and brings grace and light to each and every performance. I look forward to continue to see her every week.

Comment by Jorge Jose Herrera – June 14, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite episode of the entire season was when we found out Red’s true identify. It was the twistedest twist ever. I hope this means we get to see more of Red/Ruby.

Comment by Ana – June 14, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to seeing more Red/Ruby. She was definitely one of my favorites from Season One but I’m also hoping to see a lot more of The Mad Hatter this season. Loved the episode devoted to his backstory.

Comment by Ange – June 14, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FANTASTIC!!! Red/Ruby is my absolute favourite character on OAUT and I’m estatic that we’ll be getting more stories about her!!
    And Meaghan Ory does a great job

Comment by mia – June 14, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy news. This show is making all the right moves.

Comment by Sophie – June 14, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ooh i hadn’t thought of that! now that magic has returned to Storybrooke does that mean Red will transform into the Big Bad Wolf… IN Storybrooke?? the possibilities!!

Comment by cj – June 14, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to hear this! She’s by far my favorite character and her episode was the best of the series.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – June 14, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. She’s one of the better parts of the show (she’s a much better actress than her hotness may indicate), and with magic back in the world, her story will surely have an interesting new direction to head.

Comment by John – June 14, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s very true, she could’ve easily been nothing buy eye candy, but Meghan Ory has made her much more interesting. Of course, she DOES bring the eye candy too, and how! Meghan is without a doubt one of the most beautiful women on television right now, especially as Red, with the wavier hair and without the heavy make-up. Truly breathtaking.

Comment by Patrick – June 29, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprise here, she was great in her role and won many fan hearts and her looks make her a perfect poster girl for the show =)

Comment by mac – June 15, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news. Red/Wolf/Ruby – one of the best characters on the show.

Comment by CC – June 15, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! One of the best characters on the show and I can’t wait to see more of her!

Comment by Gale – June 16, 2012 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I love Ruby. Looking forward to more of Red and Ruby.

Comment by Carl – June 16, 2012 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when does the new season start

Comment by vicki perkins – June 17, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome, I loved Red/Ruby on the show and her storylone plot twist was amazing. And i agree they will have to be careful to not have to many irons in the fire so to speak on this show. I like Red much more than Belle on the show. I found Belle sorta dull not Cinderella dull of course but not my favorite. I just really hate her and Rumpel being an item and I really really cannot see Rumpel as The Beast at all. That was probably my least favorite part of the whole first season…. Oh and I loved the suggestion that Grahams Wolf would become Emmas Wolf… :D

Comment by Erin BC – June 20, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh My God! Oh My God! I was weary about Rumbelle future in seasons 2 and now I am no more. So happy that those two fine actresses will have more sorytime. De Ravin is so exquisite with Rumpelstiltskin and Ory’s talent has been so under exploited in Season !. So glad. Now I am really going to have to see a psychiatrist for my OUAT obsession…LOLXLOLXLOL

Comment by bluphoenix – June 21, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to more of Red/Ruby…maybe an ep dealing with guilt over the people she’s hurt? Meghan Ory is beautiful, but she has way more going for her than that…she has real screen presence…Ruby definitely stands out in every scene she’s in. Maybe that is why she has always seemed like a regular character.

Comment by Blakeney – August 23, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post