Once Upon a Time Bets on Red, Promotes Meghan Ory to Series Regular

Once Upon a Time fancies itself better off Red, and as such has promoted Meghan Ory to a series regular for Season 2, our sister site Deadline reports.

On the fantastical ABC series, Ory plays Storybrooke diner waitress Ruby as well as the fairytale world’s Red Riding Hood (who harbors her own surprising alter ego).

RELATED | Once‘s Lana Parrilla: Regina’s Feud With Rumpel ‘Isn’t Going to Be Pretty!’

Once Upon a Time, which was the 2011-12 TV season’s highest-rated freshman drama, is set to stay put in its Sundays-at-8 time slot, returning on a date TBA this fall.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Duo Weigh In On (and Share Secrets From!) the Finale’s Big Reunion

Once fans, are you happy to hear about Ory’s promotion? And now that Ruby has been made aware of her true identity by the season finale’s big twist, should Storybrooke residents hide their cats?

1. Mark says:

Good. I like her character a lot. She’s also quite easy on the eyes.

• Ruby’s my FAVORITE character by far, her episode was truly the strongest (like a whole movie in 42 minutes!), and really, this should have happened a long time ago. I was really irked when I realized Sbarge was a regular and she wasn’t. All I can say is finally, and bring more Red and Ruby.

And, about the finale, all I can say is I truly hope someone kept Red’s hood, because if not, with magic back, they’re about to have some trouble every full moon.

• AB says:

Wasn’t she always a series regular? LOL She acted like she was, a sign of a true professional.

2. Dizzle says:

No great surprise, I like her reinterpretation of Red, glad she’s on board full time! Any word on Emilie de Ravin though…?

3. AW says:

Raphael Sbarge was a regular and he was in like five episodes, so this makes more sense as she was in over half.

Which, why is Raphael a regular?

• sara says:

Exactly. I have no idea about that. His character doesn’t even really add anything. though Meghan’s does.

• WayneInNYC says:

Raphael also voices Jiminy Cricket, which also counts as an “appearance” in an episode.

• Mark says:

He was in quite a few of the early episodes, so it’s quite possible that they expected to use him more than they did. Sometimes, things develop differently when you are in a series than when you are planning it.

• Dizzle says:

I expect they thought they would focus on his role as a therapist more than they did. His sessions with Henry were a major part of the early episodes, but the show obviously moved away from that and more into the fairytale drama. I read in another piece on Deadline that they originally pitched Once Upon A Time as more procedural-style than serial drama, before realising that wouldnt connect. His casting makes more sense in that respect.

4. Heather says:

Very excited about this! Ruby/red’s twist was one of the best twists in TV this season! Cannot wait to see where they take that story! And yes more belle please

5. tvaddict says:

Definitely one of my favorites on Once Upon a Time. I actually thought she was already a regular since she was in all or almost all of the episodes in season 1 and even had an episode dedicated to her backstory.

6. Dianna says:

Do you have any news on emilie de ravin?? I would love for her to be a regular!!

7. Addie says:

Yay! Not too surprising considering Red/Ruby is awesome and I have yet to see anyone dislike her. It will be interesting to see how the relationships play out considering she’s friends with Snow and Charming and bonded with Emma and now they all remember who they are

8. Roger says:

Woohoo !

9. Ben says:

I wonder why she was’nt already regular in season 1. She’s great, i love the character and the actress. Wonderfull news !

10. Kristina says:

Good deal! Like her a lot.

11. Amanda says:

That’s cool! Really like her character, but it would be even better if Sebastian Stan was made a series regular. Love him as the Mad Hatter!

• Temperence says:

He’s core cast on Political Animals, starting shortly on USA.

• tvdiva says:

SS has smoldering sexual chemistry with Emma. That would have been a very hot relationship. Alas, he is on another series. But maybe he can come back to OUAT now and then.

• Gale says:

I can’t help myself, I find their dynamic very unappealing. It’s not an issue of the actors and their chemistry though. It stems from the characters and the writing. I’d rather not see any of the women with Jefferson to be honest. He’s too abusive and uncontrolled and I don’t find that hot at all.

12. tvdiva says:

Hooray! She is one of the best characters on the show. And Granny should be promoted to regular status, too.

13. Yay! I loved her as Juliette on Higher Ground and have always been rooting for her career to really take off.

14. Dude says:

Get rid off Henry, plz.

15. Awesome, because HOLY CRAP she is hot!!!

And I agree that the Mad Hatter should be a regular. He’s been really good.

16. Kate says:

Belle full-time would be amazing :)

17. Actually makes me like little red riding hood

18. Lee says:

Meh. The only thing she has going for her is that she is stunningly beautiful. Ruby/Red is such a basic and vanilla character. I wouldn’t miss her if she never showed up again. Snow White and Granny completly stole the show from her in Red Handed. Even stupid Cinderella/Ashley showed more personality and better acting than she ever did. I hope she will be like Archie screentime wise and won’t take away time from the more interesting characters.

• Addie says:

I amend my comment to say that you are the only person I have ever seen hate on Red/Ruby. Congrats?

• Lee says:

I do not hate her at all. I just have no interest in her or any desire to see more of her. That’s all.

• AB says:

Why don’t you wait and see where they decide to take her character before you dismiss her? Obviously a promotion to series regular means she’s going to be getting a good storyline.

• Seth says:

I agree. It’s cool that she can turn into a wolf, but her personality so far has been bland as heck.

I disagree about Cinderella, she was the worst. They made her an idiot by not bothering to read the contract Rumplestiltskin gave her.

• Brown says:

I don’t think she’s just that. She acts real good in my opinion and she also has a really interesting storyline about her rebel against her granny. Red Handed was the best episode to me. It has all the elements that build a great story. The twist at the end of the Red Riding Hood was the most memorable throughout the whole season. And she’s embodying the werewolf thing really really well. Even before she remembered anything, I was like, “Girl is a wolf. I’m sure.”.
      So, yeah. Glad there’ll be more of her.

19. My fave character besides Regina, so this is awesome news. I do miss her stripperiffic outfits of the first half of the season though!

20. Steven says:

It’s not just that she remembers who she is… with the return of magic to Storybrooke, she’ll probably be able to change again. So, yes, lock up your cats.

21. John DeMayo says:

What about Emilie de Ravin (Belle) and Jessy Schram (Cinderella)? Belle seems to have a large role in the story (as Rumpel’s love) and they have yet to *really* explore Cinderella’s character. As far as I know, de Ravin doesn’t have anything going on so she should be free… but Jessy Schram is on Falling Skies, so perhaps filming on that will interfere?

• Bettret says:

Not everyone needs to be a regular to show up on the show again. I don’t really see the need to have either Belle or Cinderella as regulars. They work just fine as recurring characters.

• Nicoletta says:

I agree with this. Keep a good balance between regulars and recurring guest stars. 5 core characters (Regina, Rumple, the Charmings) and 4 additional regulars (Henry, Archie, August, Red) is okay although I think Archie, Henry and August weren’t even real regulars this season. They missed too many episodes and didn’t really add much. But that’s okay. the 5 core characters have so much story to tell and they should be their focus of attention anyway.

• Ryan says:

Jessy is a series regular on ABC’s new show Last Resort.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Jessy is on LAST RESORT, too.

22. James says:

I think they should add another villian… I like Rumple and Regina a lot, but the fairytales have plenty of villians that could add something to the mix…

23. Gilda says:

She should’ve been one already, but good for her! Like others have said, I wonder if they’ll promote Emilie de Raven. We know Robert Carlyle will still be around, and I don’t see Rumple wanting to be separated from Belle, so will she be a series regular, too?

24. BrianR says:

Fantastice news. Meghan lit up the screen with her gorgeous looks. I hope Red and Emma can be BFF’s and work together more. I’d also like to see the Huntsman’s wolf come into town and become Emma’s wolf.

25. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

Fantastic. Some of the best news that I have heard all day. Meghan Ory is beautiful and brings grace and light to each and every performance. I look forward to continue to see her every week.

26. Ana says:

My favorite episode of the entire season was when we found out Red’s true identify. It was the twistedest twist ever. I hope this means we get to see more of Red/Ruby.

27. Ange says:

Looking forward to seeing more Red/Ruby. She was definitely one of my favorites from Season One but I’m also hoping to see a lot more of The Mad Hatter this season. Loved the episode devoted to his backstory.

28. mia says:

FANTASTIC!!! Red/Ruby is my absolute favourite character on OAUT and I’m estatic that we’ll be getting more stories about her!!
    And Meaghan Ory does a great job

29. Sophie says:

Very happy news. This show is making all the right moves.

30. cj says:

ooh i hadn’t thought of that! now that magic has returned to Storybrooke does that mean Red will transform into the Big Bad Wolf… IN Storybrooke?? the possibilities!!

31. Very happy to hear this! She’s by far my favorite character and her episode was the best of the series.

32. John says:

Great news. She’s one of the better parts of the show (she’s a much better actress than her hotness may indicate), and with magic back in the world, her story will surely have an interesting new direction to head.

• Patrick says:

It’s very true, she could’ve easily been nothing buy eye candy, but Meghan Ory has made her much more interesting. Of course, she DOES bring the eye candy too, and how! Meghan is without a doubt one of the most beautiful women on television right now, especially as Red, with the wavier hair and without the heavy make-up. Truly breathtaking.

33. mac says:

No surprise here, she was great in her role and won many fan hearts and her looks make her a perfect poster girl for the show =)

34. CC says:

Wonderful news. Red/Wolf/Ruby – one of the best characters on the show.

35. Gale says:

Great news! One of the best characters on the show and I can’t wait to see more of her!

36. Carl says:

Great! I love Ruby. Looking forward to more of Red and Ruby.

37. when does the new season start

38. Erin BC says:

Awesome, I loved Red/Ruby on the show and her storylone plot twist was amazing. And i agree they will have to be careful to not have to many irons in the fire so to speak on this show. I like Red much more than Belle on the show. I found Belle sorta dull not Cinderella dull of course but not my favorite. I just really hate her and Rumpel being an item and I really really cannot see Rumpel as The Beast at all. That was probably my least favorite part of the whole first season…. Oh and I loved the suggestion that Grahams Wolf would become Emmas Wolf… :D

39. bluphoenix says:

Oh My God! Oh My God! I was weary about Rumbelle future in seasons 2 and now I am no more. So happy that those two fine actresses will have more sorytime. De Ravin is so exquisite with Rumpelstiltskin and Ory’s talent has been so under exploited in Season !. So glad. Now I am really going to have to see a psychiatrist for my OUAT obsession…LOLXLOLXLOL

40. Blakeney says:

I’m looking forward to more of Red/Ruby…maybe an ep dealing with guilt over the people she’s hurt? Meghan Ory is beautiful, but she has way more going for her than that…she has real screen presence…Ruby definitely stands out in every scene she’s in. Maybe that is why she has always seemed like a regular character.