Fall TV Preview

Scoop: Matthew Perry's Go On Promotes John Cho to Series Regular

John Cho has been bumped up to series regular on NBC’s new fall series Go On.

RELATED | Fall Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

The comedy, from former Friends exec producer Scott Silveri, stars Matthew Perry as a sports talk radio host who, while trying to move on from a loss, (eventually) finds solace in his mandatory group-therapy sessions.

Cho, whose last ongoing TV gig was on FlashForward, plays the manager of the radio station that employees Perry’s anger issues-impaired character.

Laura Benanti (The Playboy Club), Julie White (Law & Order: SVU, Transformers), Allison Miller (Terra Nova) and Tyler James Williams (Everybody Hates Chris) also co-star.

As announced Thursday morning, Go On will premiere Wednesday, Aug. 8 immediately following NBC’s Olympics coverage.

Tags: , ,

Comments (20)

• Matthew Perry and John Cho? Nice im in

Comment by ggny – June 14, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him. John Cho is so, so cute and a great comedy actor.

Comment by Joan – June 14, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve loved julie white since grace under fire

Comment by me – June 14, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go on….

Comment by TheDude – June 14, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this one gets cancelled in less than 6 episodes like perry’s last show

Comment by luke – June 14, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s time for Chandler Bing to move on. Matthew Perry was excellent in The Good Wife. He should stick to drama or become a regular on TGW.

Comment by Lee – June 15, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the trailer, and I liked it. I think it might be really good.

Comment by Harrison – June 14, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope NBC gives this show a chance and doesn’t can it after 3 episodes like oh so many comedies this spring.

Comment by Lauren – June 14, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This both looks and sounds like a shameless rip-off of Community.

Except it’s from the creator of Joey and Perfect Couples, so it’ll probably be a bad rip-off of Community.

Comment by Oliver – June 14, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awww, I liked Perfect Couples.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 14, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked both of those shows, and watch Community, so I fail to see how this would be a bad thing and I doubt it’ll be bad.

Comment by Kristina – June 15, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So now all comedies that involve an odd ball group of friends is a Community rip-off?

Comment by Kenny – June 14, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. All comedies involving a group of disparate losers coming together unwillingly led by a snarky and aloof male lead will be accurately described as Community rip-offs, though.

Of course, Silveri is a hack, so it will inevitably lack the charm, cleverness and creativity of Community. I expect it to be buried under the weight of its own blandness by seasons end.

Comment by Oliver – June 15, 2012 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So, Cheers & MASH must mean The Amazing Dan Harmon invented a time machine – that is AWESOME! I hope he only uses it for good…

(PS – Community fan, but the snark + camaraderie model is kind of ancient.)

Comment by heather_kaye – June 15, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Guess we’ll see how long Community lasts next season without Harmon at the helm. I expect it to go south, and rather quickly.

Comment by Bob – June 15, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why do you say Silveri is a hack?

Comment by Brian J – June 15, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Matthew Perry, John Cho and Allison Miller so I just might have to check this one out.

Comment by Renee – June 15, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the pilot and I thought it was an enjoyable show. The end with the Google streetview car was great.

Comment by Jeff – June 15, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roldy!!!! lol

Comment by Danielle H – June 15, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either I forgot or totally didn’t realize he was going to be on this show. I really like John Cho. I might actually check this out now, haha.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – June 17, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post